Close Calls

Elyxo: Into Your World [UNDER RECONSTRUCTION]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JINHAE

 

I couldn’t rest easy since the conversation I had with the five nobles the previous night. We were leaving for Hailesia that very night and instead of being glad about seeing Yi Xing sooner, I was worried sick. Finally, they’ve decided to tell me some of the things that they have observed prior to our journey. Apparently, there were such people as Meropian and Korinth purists, people who didn’t have any desire to reunite Elyxo, people who would stop at nothing to prevent the prophecy from ever happening, and they were after me and my friends. My head swirled with those ruthless people who would kill just to perform the tasks that were entrusted to them by the River Guardians. I hated them all for making me feel like I was at the edge of the cliff with half the length of my feet without any ground to step on.

 

They were driving me to the edge. My heart was racing in my ribcage and I just knew it would leap out anytime if I didn’t calm down. They’ve assured me that their plan was carefully laid out and no harm would come our way, but I couldn’t get myself to believe it. I was worried about too many things and I couldn’t stop pacing around the pantry. I was actually convinced that I was wearing a path through the cobblestone floor.

 

First, I was worried for everyone’s welfare. The possibilities we were facing were endless. We may be ambushed on our way out the grounds of the manor or maybe while we were headed to the fleet of Nephylus that would carry us all to Hailesia. If not, I was thinking that we would be safe all the way to Hailesia and they’d decide to attack us there. The former was more likely since they wouldn’t be able to do anything once we were under the care of the friendly dragon-like creatures and they do not have prior knowledge as to where we were headed. They were all thinking that we would head to Glacia, Xiu Min’s home. I had that to worry about since they would probably attack the people once they find out that we weren’t there, but Xiu Min had assured me that the people were ready.

 

They’ve assured me that they had everything covered, but I was worried about Shinhye as well. She had been conversing with me for the past hours. We weren’t alone regarding being under siege. Since my twin was also a prophesied maiden, the Korinth purists were after her, too. The only difference was that she knew exactly how to handle matters and instead of being scared out of her wits as well, she was getting ready for her own battle. Unlike the way I saw it, Shinhye looked at it as an adventure where she could wield her sword and get to experience the real thing, but it just made me even more worried.

 

‘Stop worrying already,’ she scolded me. ‘I’m in as much bad situation as you are now. It might have not started yet, but it soon will.’

 

I in air through my clenched teeth. ‘I don’t know how that’s supposed to help me, Shin.’

 

‘Oh.’ She sighed. ‘I don’t know what to say, Jinhae, but I need you to be strong for yourself and the nobles. You just have to trust in each other. We’ll get through this. Keep your mind open. I’ll help you.’

 

I felt guilty now. She was making an effort to help me amidst her own problems. The visits would soon commence in Korinthia, but she was mapping out plans to help me out. She’s always been the level-headed, organized and smart one. I wasn’t cut out for something like this. ‘Shin, watch you own back.’

 

‘Baekhyun’s watching it for me right now. Don’t worry. I’ll watch yours for now. Be safe. I’m here. Alright?’

 

‘Okay.’

 

‘Smile for me, will you?’

 

I can’t. I just nodded at myself determinedly. ‘We’ll get over this!’

 

She chuckled. ‘That’s the spirit. Good luck. I’m not going anywhere. FOCUS!’

 

I blew air out and nodded. That’s right. She’s there and so are Lu Han and the others. Yi Xing would be waiting. We’ll be safe. I’ve got nothing to worry about.

 

“Are you ready?” Lu Han asked me.

 

Tao gave me an encouraging smile. I looked around before nodding. The manor seemed so empty without Poh and the others around. We were the only ones left as they’ve all set out.

 

“Very well,” he whispered then opened the cupboard. It was filled with glass jars, all of which moved aside with a whip of his finger. A door on the floor revealed itself flapped open. I could make out the first top steps of a wooden ladder. He glanced at me. “You have to go down first. Don’t move. Just wait for me, do you understand?”

 

I was filled with a new sense of dread and Shinhye’s thoughts popped out of nowhere again. ‘It’s going to be alright. I’ll be there with you.’ I nodded and rolled up the sleeves of my hoody. “I can do this.”

 

Lu Han chuckled. “Go on ahead.”

 

I slipped in to the cupboard and dipped my left feet right into the dark abyss, blindly making my descent. The moment my head was submerged in the darkness, the smell of dank earth filled my senses. I could almost feel the earthen walls which were too close. I felt the last step of the ladder and the soft dirt beneath it. I turned around, but it was pitch black. All sorts of monsters suddenly made their way into my mind.

 

“Lu Han! Hurry up. They’re coming!” I heard Tao’s muffled voice from above.

 

“Let’s go!” Lu Han told him.

 

“I’m staying. I’ll be with you in a while. I have to warn Xiu Min and Chen.”

 

“I see,” Lu Han said then came down the ladder. “He’s staying.”

 

What?! “Huang Zi Tao!” I called.

 

He poked his head in and I could make out his grinning face. “I’ll be back, princess. I’m stopping time. For now, run to Yi Fan, okay?”

 

I was near tears already. “Okay. Be careful.”

 

“Promise,” he said then he was gone, closing the cupboard.

 

“Let’s go,” Lu Han told me, holding me close. He uttered a few words I couldn’t understand and the torches on the wall lit up with fire. We made our way deeper into the tunnel. As we passed by the way he was leading me to, emblems lit up on the floor path after path. I recognized them to be the emblems of all the twelve Element Nobles. As we were passing Xiu Min’s emblem, I managed to trip on something.

 

“Ow!” I winced as my knee hit something hard, but brittle. It cracked under my weight. “!” I cursed out loud.

 

Lu Han didn’t understand that, of course. He helped me up, but I staggered when I saw what I tripped on. We were practically walking on shattered bones and I tripped on a stupid, but equally horrifying skull. It gaped as it stared up with its hollow sockets. I gasped.

 

On the other hand, Shinhye became frantic. ‘What? What?!’

 

‘I tripped.’

 

‘Oh. Careful, sis.’

 

I clenched my teeth together, shutting my eyes momentarily, trying to let Shinhye see what I was seeing.

 

‘Goodness, Jin. Where are you? What are those?’

 

‘Bones…We’re in an underground passage. The purists have come and we have to escape.’

 

‘Rats! Those bastards are going to pay if they as much as touch your hair. Do you understand me?!’ She was angry now. I heard another voice, the Light Noble’s. He was with her alright and he was probably wondering what brought on her sudden ire.

 

‘I’m fine, Shin.’ I took Lu Han’s hand. “Thank you.”

 

“Be careful. We’re almost there.”

 

I nodded and held onto him as we walked. The path was as good as hell with large spiders and all sorts of creatures either crawling past us or making bloodcurdling sounds. I hyperventilated when I saw the tail of what seemed to be a gigantic snake and Lu Han had to hug me against him to calm me down.

 

“I’m here. They won’t touch you. I promise. Let’s keep going, alright?”

 

“Yes,” I all but squeaked. Elyxo was one messed up world and I wondered how I was even Elyxian. I couldn’t take the things I see. Finally, we’ve reached the last emblem. I wasn’t sure what it was since I felt nauseated. As Lu Han climbed up on another ladder, he pushed the trap door up. I sighed in relief. I could breathe again.

YI FAN

 

The visits had begun, but the only people who knew about it were the six of us, Jinhae and the Oracle Minister. The advances the p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter