Honest 3/4 b

Mugunghwa Promise

SEHUNA

            I force Howon to come inside my house, I can’t let him out of my sight, it’s not that I think he will do something stupid or anything dangerous. However, looking at his crestfallen expression when Myungsoo-oppa rejected his call, I know that I won’t be able to put my mind in rest thinking of him. I thank my family that they say nothing when we step in the door. My father and Siwon-oppa play chess in the livingroom, I narrow my eyes. As long as I know the two will play at father’s study. Bora-euni and Jimin are nowhere to be found and I realize that I need to give the three time for their own. I let father to drag Howon to play with them, saying he wants to see Howon beats Siwon which my brother replies with “dream on”.  

            Mother brings them plates of cookies and tea cup for Howon herself. She announces that I will prepare dinner for Howon and I as she believes that we must have not had dinner before. I follow her to the kitchen, she tells the maids to leave us. Mother already asked the maids to prepare the meal for the two of us, I am grateful for her thoughtfullness. She knows something troubled me and I tell her that even I don’t know the exact problem that happened, I am really afraid.

            “You worry of Howon” She smiles in understanding. I nod to her statement, the time when Howon dissapeared from my life left scar on me. I keep deny it, I keep telling myself that it’s just foolish thought. However, I can’t lie that I am affected deeply by those event. He didn’t leave me, he just tried to protect me but in the end it makes me believe he doesn’t trust me enough with his worries means he doesn’t I am strong enough to carry the burden.

            “Am I adequate enough to be Mistress Lee, Eomma ?” I asks in uncertainty.

            “There is no yes answer for that question. All you need is to prove yourself to be one. However, before you think you are adequate enough to be Mistress Lee. Would you like to try to be the other half of Lee Howon ?” I look at my mother’s eyes, being Mistress Choi is what others see on my mother and I do believe she is doing marvelous job as one. But more than anything she does really good job to be father’s other half, the one who stands and holds father through thick and thin.

            “I understand” She smiles to me, quite assure of my answer. Howon may do not need me to fix whatever it is, but I want to be there because I need to be there with him.

HOWON

               Sehuna’s mother calls me in the middle of the game, telling me that the dinner is already prepared and Sehuna is waiting for me to have dinner. Siwon smiles to me and abeoji sighs saying that he is doom that I will leave him in with his son to finish the game by himself. Eommonim just shakes her head, saying that he is never good at chess since the beginning so it’s understandable that he will lose. We laugh hearing her sassy and witty respond, I excuse myself leaving the three.

             The buttler doesn’t bring me to the dinning room, but to other room. When he opens the door for me, I can see how different this room with the rest part of this mansion that I have ever seen before. It reminds me of traditional house, Sehuna is waiting for me, she is already grilling meat and sausage.

“Really ?” I ask when I seat in front of her.

“I am hungry for some meat and barbecue is one that I want. Well, I have hotpot days ago so just deal with it” She says and puts more meat to be grilled. The more I see the selection that being put, I realize that it is American BBQ but being cooked like Korean BBQ. I look to Sehuna closely, somehow I forget that she ever lived abroad and spent her teenage year as well as first year of adulthood at USA.

“Do you miss USA ?” The question brings her to stop whatever she is doing and settles back to her seat. There is small smile on her lips, the one that won’t you see without putting attention on her. Her smile widens when he sees me watching her, for seconds she seems to think of a respond before she reaches out to swap my fringe. I let her do what she wants, telling myself I won’t mind if she doesn’t want to talk about it since this particular topic never came up in our conversation.

“Since you brought that to our conversation, do you want to hear about my teenage story ? I am going to tell anything you want and need to know, then you will know me better” There is no hesitation in her offer, I know this conversation will change our relationship somehow for the better or for the worst. However, when she gives those sincere smile I realize that we are going to be okay.

“Deal. I am going to tell you about mine then” The soft smile graces her lips tells me that I do the right thing. I can't give you all of me, all I can give is the ones which keep you safe. I am sorry that you won't ever know many aspects of me.

"Thank you" I say when she places the meat in my plate, I know she understands that the grateful expression is something entirely different. She doesn't comment, but her eyes already let me know that she is willing to face anything that fate throws in front of her door.

BAEKHYUN

            I place the hot chocolate in front of Soeun-noona, she comes to my house in the early morning. I am surprised for her sudden visit but looking to her pale face, my mind kicks me and I tell the maid to let her to our library. I immediately change my pajama to more casual one, I walk to the bed and kisses Woohyun’s lips before going to library. Woohyun won’t wake till afternoon, he has project to check which made him pull all the night on till morning.  

            “Baekhyun, would you like to accompany me ?” She asks even before I sit in front of her. Looking at her, I don’t have to think twice before nod my head. I tell her to wait for me to prepare myself and let Woohyun knows that I am going outside. Just like that I am ready in less than 15 minutes and already leaves note beside Woohyun’s phone.

            Soeun-noona is already waiting for me in the livingroom, I thank the maid who informs me that the car is ready and give me the car key. I look to the sky, it’s really clear and deems that it will be good day for picnic. However, my gut tells me that the calm before the storm will be today’s definition.

            “Where will we go noona ?” I ask when we are already outside my neighbourhood. She brings out folder from her handbag. My eyes widen when there is bold alphabet of Kim Myungsoo’s name on it.

            “You know the hospital where he was being admitted after the accident. Bring me there” I nod my head in difficulty, my grab on the steer turns my hands white. I focus my attention on the road, I hope that Howon knows about it. I am praying that Woohyun will forgive me for keeping so many secrets from him. It is the time that one by one our past catches us up. I look to my wedding ring, the real storm already creates its wave. 

SOEUN

            I realize that I am cruel, yesterday night I called Jaejoong-oppa. I told her about the medical record Myungso-oppa gave me, he confirmed all of the informations provide in the record and also other documents that I bring now. This early morning, I met Myungsoo-oppa before I left and told him that breakfast was done.

            “Be save” His genuine smile when he said that made all of my resolve crumbled. However, I need to hear it by myself. What’s life I live in now ? It seems it is all lie, I don’t know anymore which one is the truth, which one is fake.

            “We have arrived” Baekhyun announces when we are already outside the hospital. I remember this building like it’s just yesterday I visit this place. Baekhyun looks at me with unreadable face, I smile slightly to him before exit the car letting him to find parking lot while waiting him in the lobby. This place has not changed much, maybe just the pot plants and small changes. No longer than 15 minutes Baekhyun has already beside me.

            “Can we meet doctor Song Joong Ki ?” I ask the nurse, she looks at me first before asking if I have appoinment before, I honestly say no.

            “Tell doctor Song that Kim Soeun, daughter in law of Kim Junsoo wants to meet him. Doctor Song will understand” Baekhyun says calmly. The nurse doesn’t ask twice and does as he told her to.

MARK

            “Thank you doctor Song. We are really grateful for your help” I take the phone from Junsoo-nim. We already predict the outcome of Myungsoo-nim giving Soeun-shi his medical record. I know deep down that Myungsoo-nim is selfless person, but I never knew that it will to this extend.

            “Mark” Sajangnim calling wakes me from my thought. I am surprised when he smiles to me, he laughs when I guess seeing my confused expression. I can say that I don’t know what kind of expression that I should give when he smiles like that.

            “Myungsoo has done the right thing. It’s not the best in our mind, but it’s the one he choses to do. He may still the emotional drive little boy who I knows, but he is not someone who do something without knowing the consequence of every action he takes”

I listen to him carefully and realize that maybe it’s the best to tell Soeun-shi now before she knows from someone else.

            “Mark” He calls me again, this time I have recognized that he demands something from me and I am right about it when he tells me his request that I dread to hear.

            “One by one the truth may be revealed, no matter what happen to me, I believe you will do anything to finish this story unscathed. Promise me, Mark, you will protect yourself” I am cognizant of how serious this is. CEO Kim looks deep to my eyes, I held his gaze as long as I can before I look away because of the intentsity of his gaze.

            “Mark, promise me” It is being said in such soft tone. However, it hurts so bad to hear him say that. How can such words feel like horrible good bye. I can feel hot tears flow before I wipe it fast. I look at his eyes once more and nod my head. Suddenly, I want to go back to US meeting my parents, being pampered and act everything is well.