Rain, Coffee

Mugunghwa Promise

 

Junhyung found himself stood in front of Lotte Mart office building. His life was mess, everything delivered him insane. He felt guilt, something he didn’t fell for long time. He saw Jaejoong and Sunggyu made their step toward the building. They didn’t notice his presence. They laughed and kept slapped each other arms even smacked head. It’s something he never experienced, as Shinsegae’s co-CEO no one dare to cross his life, no affection, empty, numb. He felt distance… He and his friends was not more than partner or friend and boss. He couldn’t blame what happened toward them. It’s him who made it this way. He was the first initiate to shove his social life and replace it with business, business, and business. He didn’t give damn to something not related to Shinsegae and company’s profit.

Not long after Sungyeol came along with Hoya. Dongwoo and Woohyun was a minute behind. Myungsoo stepped from his car holding files and suitcase; he made effort to holding a basket. He smiled bitterly… It must be lunch box. Myungsoo was not single person, he was married and that thought make him clench his fist.

He looked up to the sky.

Why life is so unfair? Why everyone I love didn’t love me back? Why he got everything I want? What did I do in my past so you give this damn way to me?

He chuckled bitterly. Who was he? Blame God for everything that happened to his life. He was supposed to know it from start that he lives this way.

Deep beneath the cover of another perfect wonder

Where it’s so white as snow

Privately divided by a world so undecided

And there’s nowhere to go

His phone was ringing; he saw the ID and didn’t bother to answer the call. He shoved back his cellphone to his pocket.

my life….

He drove aimlessly. He just wanted to escape from his terrible life. Who said live as heir of wealthy family was perfect? Damn they are wrong. Everything in his life was imperfection. All he wanted was love and affection, but all he had was hatred and obsession. Human never get enough. Had never enough….

Face the truth will ease your pain… No need to think about it, just do what need to do… Even if it breaks you into pieces it doesn’t matter anymore, no one will care…

He stopped when he saw someone familiar. So Eun…..

She was crossing the road. She smiled brightly. She entered small coffee shop “Infinity Expression Café”. Junhyung parked his car and followed So Eun. He pushed the door and welcomed by smell of coffee.

So Eun was there sat alone. She sipped her coffee calmly. She looked out the window, Seoul’s busy activities display… People walk alone, talk to friend, lover hold hands… This is ordinary moment, but inside his heart Junhyung melted when he saw So Eun genuine smile and her eyes sparkling, her gaze was on young lady walk with her son maybe around 6 year old… They were walking and chat happily.

So Eun stood when she got message; that Junhyung thought. So Eun flashed a smile. He turned his head and saw Myungsoo along with his smile entered the cafe. He didn’t want being caught of them.. He looked down to his cup of coffee.

He made sure neither Myungsoo nor So Eun notice his presence. He watched them talk. He didn’t know what they were talking about. He just knew So Eun smiled or nodded every time Myungsoo said something. Myungsoo ate the last pieces of his cake and looked on his wristwatch. He gasped and sipped his drink fast. So Eun chuckled, Myungsoo stood up and gave her quick peck before leave. He could hear an “aww” or “sweet” from the others customer. He didn’t blame them for watching the scene. So Eun was beauty and he knew few customers and the barista also watching her. Some girls and businesswoman laid their eyes on Myungsoo when he took first step on the café.

“They suit each other” He averted his gaze to someone beside him.

He didn’t expect to meet Doojoon here.

“I saw her come here frequently” Junhyung narrowed his eyebrows.

“But it is first time I have saw Myungsoo came here. Well, this place is far enough from Lotte Mart office building so that makes sense. He also broke many hearts of guys who come here to watching God’s beautiful creature” Junhyung didn’t give any attention on Doojoon’s rambling.

He kept seeing So Eun who busy with her DSLR. She took few pictures outside the window. She looked satisfied. She took last sip of her cappuccino and went to the cashier.

They talk for a while and So Eun smiled sincerely toward that young boy. She didn’t take her change and gave to him as tip, the boy bowed to her.

Junhyung stood and walked toward the cashier pay his coffee immediately. He ignored Doojoon who called him.

Outside of the café, she saw So Eun stood there. She pointed her lens to the sun behind the building. It was good view and he admitted their spot was good place to capture the beautiful moment.

He remembered their first encounter. Around six years ago.

Junhyung looked up to the sky. He was outside and the sky was cloudy. No one was there, he was alone.

Rain will fall down. He didn’t bother to avoid the rain. He closed his eyes and felt the cold. His clothes soaked, he felt cold on his skin. It felt nice to him at least it’s not pain. He didn’t know how long he stood there. He didn’t care in the end he would get fever or cold.

Even if I die, no one will care. He smiled bitterly.

His father loves his business more than his family, his mother spent almost of her time to go abroad and waste money for shopping. Dongwoon said he was the worst person in this world, Jaejoong hates him. Doojoon though didn’t say something, he knew really well how disappointed him to Junhyung.

Hyunseung had called him, Myungsoo got heart donor and his surgery was success. He knew they didn’t forgive him for what happened to Myungsoo. He knew he was the one who pushed Myungsoo to commit suicide. That’s what Dongwoon said. He didn’t want it this way.

Oh, yeah. Someday I’ll introduce you to my little brother. He will be happy to know you

This is my brother’s blood. He is someone that I treasure a lot. Kim Myungsoo, he is my brother

Tears streamed down his face. He didn’t care someone would see him in this state. He didn’t care.

He opened his eyes when he felt rain stop. It was still raining, but there he saw girl holding blue umbrella in front of him.

“You can catch a fever if you stand here” She smiled. Junhyung didn’t know what’s going on. He let himself being dragged by the stranger.

He was there holding her umbrella while she went inside. He didn’t know why he deals with it in the first place. She was back and holding two cups of hot coffee.

“I don’t know what do you like. I chose Latte because my brother likes it” She smiled. He took the cup of Latte hesitantly.

"You know life is like espresso. Latte, cappuccino, macchiato, mochaccino, Americano, long black, frappuccino. It's your choice to add the ingredients. Life is espresso. You have anything to make it the way you like. You just need to give it some additional. Maybe you will get long black instead macchiato, but don't worry grab milk and cream then to make it as close as macchiato" She was rambling. Junhyung seems didn't listen what she said, but inside he heard everything carefully. She kept talking about her day, her favorite novel, her brother and anything. Junhyung just kept silent. Till finally she sipped her cappuchino and followed Junhyung to be silent. 

“Why you approached me?” Junhyung asked, he didn't want her to stop and he thought he need to ask something so he could her voice. 

 “I just want to” She smiled.

They didn’t let out another word. They looked up to the sky. Raining poured down and seems they need to wait more patiently. Inside his heart he didn't want rain to stop.

 

“What’s song you like?” The stranger asked him. Junhyung was amazed how she could be so calm, talk to stranger without fear. She didn’t wait Junhyung to answer.

 

I remember tears streaming down your face

When I said, I’ll never let you go

When all those shadows almost killed your light

I remember you said. Don’t leave me here alone

But all that’s dead and gone and passed tonight

 

Just close your eyes

The sun is going down

You’ll be alright

No one can hurt you now

Come morning light

Junhyung felt warm inside. This stranger made him feel safe. He let her sang. Her voice maybe not really good, but he admit he like the way she was singing. She sang with all her heart. He closed his eyes and enjoyed the song. When she ended the song, Junhyung opened his eyes and met the brighter smile he had ever seen. The rain stopped and she said good bye.

He didn’t know her name and she didn’t ask his name. They were totally stranger. He wishes he could meet her again someday.

 

He closed his eyes and let the moment swallowed him for a while.

I love her since that day. 

He opened his eyes and watched So Eun crossed the road. He saw her till disappeared from his sight.

Something that Junhyung didn’t know was two pair of eyes watched him, followed every move he made since he left Lotte Mart office building.