The Deal

Mugunghwa Promise



 

 Baekhyun waves to them. He won’t go to the party. He doesn’t want to get trouble with Woohyun’s parent. Yes, he has their permission, but he knows they still hope their son to like woman instead of man and it will embarrass them if public finds out about this. They act really well all of the time and avoid public affection is the way they can do to keep it secret. He has pushed Woohyun to come with them because he said he wouldn’t come if Baekhyun didn’t come, but that’s not the case. Jaejoong is going to skin him alive if doesn’t appear at the party. Reluctantly Woohyun pulls away from the hug and says he will come back home as fast as the time allow.

Many important persons from Korea comes, businessman and businesswoman, artist and politician come to congratulate Jaejoong. The party isn’t only welcome party, it’s also as has shouted the next number one person at Lotte Department Store has come back to the company after his long time abroad. The party is going well. No one has realized heavy atmosphere surrounding around Shisegae and Lotte’s high broad directors. It is public knowledge that the big three department store in South Korea has long history of competition, they think it’s just the business matter, nothing more. People can say the tension between Shisegae and Lotte more intense than with Hyundai.                                                                                                                                                           “Many girls checking us out” Dongwoo says in amusement.

            “Some of us is available Bachelor” Kris comments.

            “I’m taken” Woohyun replies nonchalantly.

            “I wish I would meet my goddess here so I can say I’m taken as well” Kris laughs.

           “He has eyed ing hot girl at parking before. Too chickening even just to ask her out” Sungyeol comments.

They laugh and Howon smiles little. They talk for a while about everything their mind could come up with, just to avert their actual thought. They take table in the corner and watch the performance of some well-known singers. Sunggyu is eyeing Howon along the time. He sees Howon closes his eyes and sighs silently, he averts his gaze to where Howon looks. He looks to nothing in particular just Lotte broad directors on other corner of the ballroom. He averts his gaze to Sungyeol who squeals about your crush to Kris and just receives glare. Howon seems too absorb in his own mind not really realize what’s going on around even though they laugh at Kris, he doesn’t gives attention even slightly.

Howon still doesn’t let out anything from his mouth. They see Howon’s father walks closer to their table. They stand and bow to him. He asks Howon to go with him because they have something to discuss. Howon obeys and follows his father. Seems another Lee’s family also going as well, Sunggyu raises his eyebrows when he sees Siwon and his father leave not long after them.

            “You will get the answer soon, Sunggyu” Jaejoong says casually and jerking his head to Junhyung and his friends sit. They seem also watch the event and silently send each other unanswered question. They forget that when Krystal and his husband make their way to their conversation or it’s actually Krystal who whines about this party is boring as hell and Sanghyun smiles apologetically to them.

----

Howon sits silently on his chair. He feels suffocated, he knows it will come someday but he doesn’t think it is going this fast. He feels sorry for her, it must be harder than for him.

            “You’re really beautiful. I heard from my husband that you have gotten your M.D. from Yale School of Medicine. Congratulation” His mother compliments.

            “Thank you” She smiles.

            “Your children are really good in their field. Siwon really fierce at business and your daughter will be great doctor”

            “Don’t say like that, it will boost my children ego. Your children do well too. Howon, no one doubt about his ability on business and Jieun is amazing singer”

            He nods his head or talks when he gets question. He has good conversation with Siwon about business or sport. He sees the girl converses with her mother also his mother. It’s not as awkward as he thought it will be. It is almost 30 minutes after they leave the party, they decide it’s enough for both of the family. They give silent nods to each other and go back. He waits the others to walk out first, he seems get the message when she doesn’t follow them. He averts his gaze when hears the soft laugh. He raises his eyebrows, slightly frown. He doesn’t like rude girl and this situation isn’t something to laugh about. She seems realize about her mistake. She bows in her seat and apologize to him.

            “I’m sorry to laugh, it’s rude. I’m not laughing of you or your family. I’m sorry” He can see blush on her cheeks, she tries to hide with duck her head down. Howon chuckles, maybe he is the one who takes her action as rudeness.

            “It’s okay though” She looks up and smiles to him.

            “Let do it properly. I’m Choi Sehuna. Nice to meet you. Please takes care me well” She bows to him, he follows suit.

            “Give a try or not?” She asks suddenly. Howon seems understand.

            “Do we have choice?” He asks back. Sehun smiles a little.

            “I don’t want “this” to be a burden for you. If you are willingly to try, I’ll join in. And try isn’t just try to accept, but also put an effort to make it works”

            “Are you okay with “this”?” Howon asks her to see if she is serious.

            “Do you have girlfriend Howon-shi?” Howon shakes his head. Sehun puts her elbows on the table and places her chin on her hands.

            “Howon-shi, let makes it works then. Please guide me” She stares to Howon’s eyes. Howon can’t say is she serious or not.

            “Are you really okay with arranges marriage? Don’t you think it’s all about business” She tilts her head to the side slightly.

            “I was born because of something you called arrange marriage and business” She smiles sweetly. This will be interesting, he smirks to her and she gives him innocent smile.

So Eun excuses herself to go to the toilet. She shakes her head when Myungsoo offers to company her. Myungsoo nods his head and tells her to go back immediately. Sunggyu and Jaejoong from their seat see Junhyung also leaves his seat, they nod at each other. So Eun washes her hand and checks her gown before she walks outside the toilet.

            “So Eun-shi” She turns around to the other direction and sees Junhyung walks to her side.

            “Junhyung-shi” Junhyung smiles to her.

            “You look more beautiful with the gown” He compliments to her, she thanks him. So Eun looks around slightly and realizes no one is there.

            “Oh, I need to go back before the others search for me” She bows and walks faster.

            “Wait” Junhyung grabs her wrist. She widens her eyes with the sudden movement.

            “Oh sorry” Junhyung immediately let her wrist.

            “I just curious can we have……”

            “So Eun-shi” They avert their gaze to the source of voice. Sunggyu approaches them, she can sense tense between the two.

            “Back immediately. Myungsoo is looking for you” So Eun nods and makes her way out from there as fast as possible. She sighs in relief after spots her husband and in law. She masks smile on her face, acts like nothing happen.

            “What takes you so long?” Myungsoo asks when So Eun comes to his side.

“I’m sorry, woman business” She answers sheepishly. Myungsoo’s step mother shakes her head. She tells them to go to their friends which they obey.

---

“What’s wrong?” Jaejoong asks while sips his wine when they has secured from the crowd. He spots his stepmother socialize with some friends, his father is nowhere from his sight, maybe he is talking with the broad directors. Howon takes same position as his, leans on the rail beside Jaejoong and shakes his glass of red wine.

“Do you remember what’s triggered WWI?”

“Assasination Franz Ferdinand of heir the throne of Austria-Hungary by Yugoslav nationalist” Jaejoong sips his wine.

“Austria-Hungary then sent ultimatum to Kingdom of Serbia. The war broke out in Erope over the next 37 days. Leading formed of two opposing alliances, allies and central powers. More countries joined in the two, 4 years of war which ended up with Allies victory.” Hoya brings the glass of red wine close before his eyes, examines the color which such curiousness.

“What do actually you want to tell me Howon?”

“By the end the war, four major imperial powers –German, Russian, Austro-Hungarian, Ototoman Empires-ceased to exist. German, Austro-Hungarian, Ottoman Empires were Central Power, but Russian was the Allies. It’s destruction for both sides. As conclusion no one really be the winner” Hoya gulps down his wine. Jaejoong averts his gaze to Howon.

 “Hyundai will take apart on this” He leaves Jaejoong and walks inside.

---

            So Eun examines the paper tests. She shakes her head, as far as she reads the student seems don’t get the chapter in their mind at all. It’s not even the hardest chapter of the course. Somehow she questions her ability as lecturer, how she couldn’t knock some sense in their head.

Myungsoo smiles in amusement, they are in his private work room, not private anymore because she has made her way to claim the room also her, at least for the couch where she sits on and the table in front of her. She raises her eyebrow when hears him chuckles.

            “Anything funny?” She tilts her head unconsciously.

            “Nothing” He says and reads the part of the report which he leaves before. He looks up when hears shuffle sound.

            “Where are you going to go? Have you finished the task? Clean that first before you leave” He points to the papers lying around the table and some on the floors. She makes a face to him.

            “I want to make hot chocolate and bring snack. Do you want some?”

            “Potato chips and chocolate bars, latte will be nice” She smiles in amusement.

            “Don’t whine if the chips stain your document” She waves and leaves him before he can throw paper ball to her. He laughs a little and shakes his head.

---

            Kris and Sungyeol have dinner our late lunch together after work. They have become good buddy.  It’s also one of the many times they have meal together. The rest of his friends really busy this day, even they work at same company it’s rare moment to find them together beside on workplace. Myungsoo always busy that’s not secret and he spend more time with his wife, such relief. Dongwoo and he still have good conversation before work and sometime Dongwoo joins with him and Kris. Woohyun is assigned to solve internal conflict at one of their branch for 4 months so they don’t see him that much. Jaejoong, Hoya, and Sunggyu are like working walk. They seems in rush, no time Sungyeol catches them lazing around. Jaejoong has captured the heart of the staff and also the broad directors. The two has more influence then before, in every meeting the broad directors almost always give their support to their idea. What’s frightening him isn’t Sunggyu or Jaejoong, they live under same roof and close for many reasons. They have same view and good at working as team. Hoya becomes really fierce, he doesn’t tolerate mistake and double checking everything thoroughly. One in time Myungsoo ever joke Hoya even can detect mistake or have back up plan before problem rise which Hoya shrugs it off.

            “Does something bothering you Sungyeol?” Kris asks

            “Not a big deal” He waves it off and choses to take a bite of his dumpling. Today they decide to eat at Chinese restaurant Kris has mentioned several time to him. He isn’t the fan of Chinese dishes, just some of the dishes suits his tongue. Kris doesn’t force him to talk and changes the subject to light one. They are in half of discussing the next NBA match when his phone rings. He receives the call which from Sungjong.

            “Yes, Jongie?” Sungjong hates this nickname because Sungyeol always uses it to .

            “Neh…. Neh… I will pick you up. You owe me” He ends the call.

            “Who?” Kris raises his left eyebrow.

            “Sungjong. He asked me to pick him up at SNUH. His car needs repair and won’t finish before tomorrow”

            They arrive 20 minutes later, Kris has nothing to do beside tomorrow is Sunday so after they send Sungjong home they can go to bar or something. They frown when doesn’t find Sungjong in the front of the hospital building so the two of them agree to park their cars on the parking lot. Another reason is Sungyeol gets annoying confirmation to leave voice mail. They park their cars and make their way to the building. They curse in their mind, what’s suppose they do they even don’t know who Sungjong visits at the first place.

“Kris” Kris turns around to see Cho Kyuhyun, the Cho’s twin father.

“Oh… Kyuhyun shi. You are working here?” He knows that he is doctor, but it’s actually first time he sees the twin father in white coat.

“Yes, I work here. What are you doing here?” Kyuhyun asks.

“We are here to pick his brother up, but we find him know where and we don’t know the name of friend he visits” Kris laughs a bit. Kyuhyun shakes his head.

“Let me help you then. He is college student or high school student?”

“College student” Sungyeol answers, Kyuhyun nods and walks to the receptionist, asks the student if they have patient college student patient and maybe they see the said patient has friends who visit him/her. Lucky to them, one of the nurse say she sees college students visit a patient on 3rd floor room 205.

“So there you go. 3rd room 205 Lee Hwangin”

“Thank you, Kyuhyun-shi”

 “No problem. I leave you two” They nod and proceed to the 3rd floor. They wait for the elevator and step in after the elevator door opens.

  “3rd floor, right?” Kris nods his head.

   “I’ll skin that kid live to make us looking for him. If I know I need to search for him, I won’t come at first place” Sungyeol says in annoyance. It doesn’t take long time to arrive at the 3rd floor, they look for rom 205. They knock the door and wait for someone inside to open the door. A girl, college girl they assume opens the door and she blinks rapidly.

  “Yeonhee… Who is there?” Sungjong’s voice, Sungyeol knows this voice everywhere. The girl snaps back and lets them inside. Some girls inside widen their eyes and gasp, openly checking out the two man especially Kris. The boys seem annoyed with the two intruders.

    “Hyung” Sungjong smiles innocently toward them, makes Sungyeol wants to do his plan right there, right away.

“Sungjong, we wait you outside” Sungyeol masks smile on his face, he doesn’t want to make fool of his self in front of the kids. Kris smiles to them and they leave Sungjong to bid his goodbye to his friends.

“They are checking you out” Sungyeol chuckles between the walk.

“So do you. And for your statement, I’m not interest in college student”

“Hyung” They don’t wait for Sungjong outside, they walk to where the elevator is and make Sungjong runs to catch up with their long pace. They stop when they arrive in front of the elevator. Sungjong huffs before following them inside.

“You two said will wait me outside”

“We wait you outside, Jongie” Sungyeol says in light. Kris pushes the button to first floor, the door almost closed when they hear wait and Kris prevents the door to close. A doctor rushes in, they make room for her. She looks up and Kris’ heart skips a beat. Sungyeol remembers is the girl they met at parking lot at Jaejoong’s welcome back party. She is even hotter in his eyes then when she wore the blue dress that time. Sungjong blinks his eyes, she is beautiful. She turns to face the elevator door, doesn’t really realize three mans in the elevator has their attention on her. They snap from their thought when a ring of phone heard, she takes her cellphone out of her coat.

“I have no problem with that, oppa. Let the parents do what they want. As a child our duty is to obey. Hahaha…”

“I don’t think this situation as game. It’s my life and I put effort to make all work” She scoffs.

“Oh… About the project they offered act professionally, brother”

The door opens and the girl steps out. She runs outside and grabs bag from one of the nurse. She thanks her and immediately takes off her coat. They don’t intentionally follow her, just they go to the parking lot. The girl hops on car and drives away.

“… She is even hotter on white coat. She is the girl from the party, right?” Sungyeol asks Kris who his eyes still lingering on the car that has disappeared from their sight.

“Hyung, don’t you think her car looks like Hoya’s hyung car?”

“Hah….” Sungyeol looks to Sungjong.

  “White Audi R8 V10”

  “Hoya isn’t the one that have Audi R8 on Seoul, she must come from wealth family. Even I am more curious now”

---

            Junhyung throws the newspaper he has read. He balls his fish, he can’t believe it. Doojoon who sits on the couch at his room doesn’t comment on it. He has read the same article after he wakes up and he knows it will piss Junhyung. Honestly, it sends shock on him. Hyundai and Lotte Department Store join project. It’s not like the two big department store merger as one, but still they said project has confirmed that the two come in agreement, they are alliance.

            “How can we don’t know that Hyundai and Lotte discuss a project?” Junhyung asks Doojoon.

            “We know about Lotte attempts to make deal with Hyundai, but it’s long story and never happen so it’s understandable to put this aside”

            “It’s Kim Jaejoong then”

            “No, from information I get this morning Lee Howon is the one who in the charge of this project. Maybe Jaejoong is behind all of this and uses Howon to finalize the deal. Anyway, you can't take Lee Howon lightly. Have you forget about his father? If it’s not because of the fact that his father is best friend with Lotte CEO, he can be the CEO himself. He is man of power, but not thirsty of power. Without him Lotte won’t go this far. That makes sense how it runs on Lee Howon's blood. He has beat us several times on marketting strategy and promotion, not to mention other projects before this one” Junhyung nods in agreement.

            “It will be tougher from now on” Doojoon sighs.

            “This is business” Junhyung says casually.

            “It’s okay as long as you don’t mix business with personal life. Don’t add fuel to the fire, Junhyung” Doojoon waves and leaves the room.

---

Tomorrow Woohyun comes back to the main office. He has solved the problem faster than their expectation, mainly because he doesn’t want to leave Baekhyun to long. It’s good timing because they are in good mood after get the deal with Hyundai. They will celebrate it soon. Howon, Sunggyu and Jaejoong are in Howon’s room. Howon finalized and signed the deal two days ago, the news is all offer the media since this morning. They wait two days perfecting the blow up.

“We are really doing this openly” Sunggyu says in amusement.

“This deal is cover up for the true plan” Jaejoong says while he plays with Rubik in his hand. Howon stands before the window looks to the outside. Sunggyu jerks his head to Howon side, Jaejoong gets the message.

“Howon, when will you tell the others about your engagement? It won’t settle good with the others, beside your fiancée has the right to know us” Howon rubs his face with his left hand, they can see ring on his ring finger. So far it’s just the two of them who know about this, but it won’t take long time that their colleague and friends realize. Some employees maybe notice it, but don’t voice it out. The two families has held their engagement, they would announced it later. From what they heard from Howon, they are putting effort to make their relationship works. They go along with their families plan, but they still try to familiarize each other and also their family.

“Soon” Howon says.

---

            So Eun and Myungsoo are at Lotte Department Store. She still feels horrible awkward with attention they get. All of the employees know about Myungsoo, maybe that’s not the case, but the manager companies them along. She thinks it’s too much, they can shop by their selves perfectly. Myungsoo senses her uncomforted, he looks to the manager and thanks him for the company and tells him they can continue alone. When the manager is not anywhere near them, she mutters under her breath.

 “I won’t go shopping with you again” Myungsoo raises his eyebrows and elbows her slightly.

 “Do you hate shopping with me that much?” He gives serious look.

 “No. It is just everytime I’m with you there always be employees treat us differently. Well, you’re the owner, but still” Myungsoo shakes his head.

“For your information I’m not the owner, my family just happen have fair share that’s all, to claim such thing isn’t wish of you”

“Whatever. I know nothing about that. I just want comfortable shopping, treat us like customer”

“Customer is king” Myungsoo says.

“Hahaha…. That’s not funny, Kim Myungsoo” She scoffs and folds her arms. Myungsoo smirks and grabs her hand, drags her out fast. The employees and some customers who see this event look at them curiously.

“Let shopping at Hyundai. There no one will treat us differently. How?” She smiles widely and follows him to parking lot.

They arrive at Hyundai Department Store and the environment put So Eun in ease. Not so different from Lotte, but without no one company them around it feels back like before she has married. Many pair of eyes on them, not because of they know them, but girls checking his husband particularly. It’s risk to have husband like him. She wants to face palm.

Myungsoo pushes the trolley and they begin to search for the groceries. They are on fruit section when she spots Howon with a young beautiful girl also on the same section.

“Is that Howon-shi?” She asks Myungsoo.

“Hoya? Where?” She points her index finger to where the two stands not far from them.

 “Who is the girl with him?” Myungsoo voices out his thought.

“I thought you know her” So Eun looks at him weirdly. Myungsoo shakes his head. They watch them carefully.

“Should we approach them?” So Eun asks. Myungsoo shakes his head, maybe Howon has same reason why he is here at Hyundai Department Store just for groceries. It also means he doesn’t want their friends or colleagues see him and the girl. He must have reasons then.

They take distance with the two. Myungsoo widens his eyes when he sees Choi Seungwon, Lotte CEO approaches the two. Howon bows to him and the elder pats his shoulder, they talk for a while before Choi Seungwon leaves with his personal assistant. He ruffles the girl’s hair before takes his leave.

Impossible, it can't be. Don't tell me she is Choi Seungwon's daughter. Don’t say that the deal with Hyundai has something to do with the girl. 

“Have you got everything?” Myungsoo asks. So Eun nods her head, actually she still needs several items, but her husband darkening face alarms her that something is wrong and she is aware it must have something to do with Howon and the young girl. And if she is right, the man that approaches the two before is Lotte CEO. She ever saw him several months ago at the party. They leave the department store immidiately, Myungsoo with his thought and So Eun who sees him with worry. No one tries to make conversation, she hopes Myungsoo will the her later.