Royalties

Mugunghwa Promise

            Soeun dissmisses the night class, her colleague asked her to replace her schedule for the night. She didn’t have a heart to refuse so she found herself nodded her head with small smile on her face. She never went home later than her husband and to said the truth she was nervous to tell Myungsoo about it before they were going sleep the other day. To her relieve, Myungsoo said it was good coincident because he will go to other office branch in the same day and he told her that driver will pick her up. She doesn’t know why he asked her to pack some clothes. Myungsoo had left their house this morning with Howon so its absolutely no no he wants her to come there as well.

            “Soeun” She snaps from her thought when she hears her brother’s voice.

           “Oppa” She blinks her eyes. Hyunjoong runs to her side and envelopes her in tight embrace. She pulls away from him and furrows her eyebrows. He chuckles and smoothes it, Soeun yanks his hand. Scrunches her nose unattractivefully. He laughes and ruffles her hair, doesn’t care she pushes him.

         “Your sweet husband sends me here to bring you back to your childhood home” He informs her and motions with his hand to follow where he parks his car. She fasten her seatbelt and takes her phone from her coat to calls Myungsoo that Hyunjoong has already picked her.

        “Soeun” She averts her gaze to her brother.

       “I coincidentally ran to your brother in law and Jonghyun several days ago. I didn’t mean to eavesdroping their conversation and heard something unpleasant. I know Lotte and Shinsegae have rivalry runs in their veins as both are department stores, but from what I heard it has something to do with your husband’s accident and Shinsegae was the one who had responsible for this” She drops her phone, Hyunjoong reaches for her hand gives little squeezes on her palm.   

       “I think we can get cappuchino or macchiato before we back home” Hyunjoong says to her, Soeun nods and takes her phone, deciding to turn it off.

      “I will send message to him and tells him, your phone is run out of battery” Hyunjoong says knowingly while turns the engine on. Soeun doesn’t utter any word, her gaze falls to her hands.

     “Call Myungsoo before you’re going to sleep. It will reassure yourself that he is safe. Now spare your precious time for your handsome brother here. Smile please” His brother says playfully and winks. She hits him on his shoulder and gives sincere smile to him.

----

            Jaejoong lays the newspaper he has read on the side table. He waits for a certain call he is sure to receive. He doesn’t need to wait for to long for the call. He immediately presses the answer button. He has waited the confirmation of his suspicion long enough. He just need other person states this for him.

            “Park Jungmin” Jaejoong ends the call and puts his phone down.

            “Father, I know it won’t be that simple if it’s related to you” He opens his drawer and takes the old picture he keeps in the metal box.

            “I will need your help, old friend. This time you are going to take my side, Jungmin”

He puts back the picture and walks outside his bedroom. He sees Sunggyu on the livingroom watching the television. Sunggyu looks up from the chanel he is currently engrosed in meeting Jaejoong’s eyes. He turns the television off and takes the coat beside him. Jaejoong gives him the brown envelope, he examines it slightly before nodding his head and leaves Jaejoong.

           Jaejoong stands there watching Sunggyu’s retreating back. He turns his back when he hears steps behind him. Sunggyu’s mother is on the bottom of stair, gazes fix on him. He walks to where she is standing, stops in front of her. He can see clearly worry imprints on her brown eyes, she is the only woman he finds can let his guard down. Even though he realizes it that much, it’s not the time to show his weak side. He doesn’t want to make her more worry than she is now. She can read through their mind, she can’t grasp exactly what they think, but as mother she knows her own sons. Her presence reminds him of his mother. She made him stand on his feet, told him to stay strong for his baby brother, and the one got hurt the most because of him and Myungsoo. Mother figure he could ask for, won’t ever replace her mother’s place in his heart, but follows closely maybe he even loves her equally like his own mother.

            “Azzure hidden behind the dark phantom. The sun sank below the horizon. Red stained the amour propre. The chrysantemum was being laid on the ground” She says softly.

            “You’re really smart. I believe you won’t have hard time to catch the real meaning behind those words” She smiles and pats his head like she used to do when he was a child. The rejoice feeling is given by the familiar gesture embraces him, lulls him in the comfort of child hood memories. He opens his eyes and meets the soft gaze of the brown orbs.

            “Remember this my son. War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength. Nine thousand nine hundred eightly four” He nods his head as sign of understand. She takes his right hand and puts a small black box on it. She motions him with her hand to open it. His eyes is captivated by the queen pawn inside, he touches it with his index finger feels the cold of the little thing made of chrystal on his fingertip.

            “Use it wisely” She says before going back to the upstair bringing a pot of tea that a maid is initially brought for her and her husband. Jaejoong chuckles and closes the small box, puts it safely on his pocket. She stops abruptly on the end of the stair and turns her back.

            “Jaejoong” Jaejoong stops on his track, turns around and looks up to the upstair.

            “Want to join with us for night tea? We have enough chairs at the balcony”

           “Sure, eomma. I’m going to retrieve document first and sending message to Sunggyu” He won’t turn the invitation down. It has been long time since the last time they had night tea together. Despite Sunggyu will hate the bitter taste of black tea surely, he won’t decline the sweets company it.

----

            Soeun follows Myungsoo’s mother on her “shopping adventure”. She can’t help to chuckle the first time she heard the slang. Creative slang was created by her mother in law. They are at Gucchi store to take a look on their new collections. It’s still unsettling to her, she never been the one who uses well known brand. She will go to affordable and wallet freiendly brand for clothes, bags, and stuffs she needs. The most expensive things she ever bought is DSLR and LSR cameras. She makes sure to spare money from her scholarship and allowance to get them. Neither she complaint nor regret to be born as daughter of her family. She gives two tumbs up for the bag her mother in law shows to her. She gives another tumbs up to other bag she sees later.

            “You always give tumps up for everything I show you. As my daughter in law I ask you for advice” She shakes her head and gives dissaproving look to her. Soeun smile sheepishly and scratch her nape.

            “I don’t have good fashion sense, mother. I’m sorry I couldn’t help you. I barely put enough concern on my own clothes and stuffs I wear” She apologizes and smiles rather shyly.

            “I like you better than that Hara girl” Soeun frowns and tilts her head slightly.

         “Who is Hara, mother?” She asks curiously, she waits for her answer. Her mother in law seems uncomfortable with her question so Soeun immediately changes the subject and asks her for fashion advice instead. The older woman smiles gratefully for her action and thoughtness. This woman she met 3 years ago, she has taken like to her instantly.

            “Anything you want to buy?” She asks Soeun after they walks around the store, Soeun looks to bag in her hand, she is getting forced to take the bag. She has refused, but in the end give up due to her persistent. She shakes her head, she doesn’t anything to add in her wardrobe. She has enough clothes, bags, and shoes. She smiles little, she knows what she needs to buy.

            “Could we check on another section? I want to buy tie”

            “Tie?” Her mother in law winks to her. She just nods her head as confirmation to the question. They venture to well known store brand which sell suit and work outfit. Soeun doesn’t notice how her mother in law looks at her with soft gaze when Soeun takes proper look to the fabric, touches it with her fingers and nods everytime she finds a good one. She will thank her in law to give her daughter to them.

-----

           “Who will be the winner between the two?” Sungyeol asks Woohyun. Jaejoong has battle with Sunggyu in chess. Woohyun shrugs his shoulder, Sunggyu has upper hand so far. Sunggyu is good at chess, but Jaejoong is the genious one. Jaejoong is typical of King who like to watch every thing goes around him, evaluates the situation and man involved, and

            “Skak match” Executes it perfectly. Woohyun claps his hands. Jaejoong stands and bows to them. Sunggyu snorts to his action. Sungyeol pats Sunggyu’s shoulder and shakes his head in disbelieve.

            “You have run your luck, hyung”

           “There is no such luck in game, Sungyeol” Jaejoong stands and walks to the other side of the room. He takes the document he has left there before he started palying the chess.

            “He has planned it from the start. Jaejoong-hyung gave Sunggyu-hyung’s queen the upper hand on purpose. The queen has priviledge to swap the other pawns" Sungyeol raises his eyebrows, doesn't get Woohyun's explanation.

            “She left the King alone on his mercy and skak match” Woohyun repeats the same move Jaejoong did.  Sungyeol shudders finally catches the meaning behind Woohyun’s words. Their attention avert to the sound from the other side, Sunggyu takes several glasses from the drawer and puts it down on the counter. Sunggyu pours the wine to the glasses and places ice into it. 

            “Aren’t this to early for wine, hyung?” Dongwoo who just walks inside the room asks.

            “I assume something cold could calm me down” Dongwoo looks to Sungyeol and Woohyun asking an explanation.

          “You will need it after know the whole story” Sungyeol says and takes a glass of wine as well, offers one to Dongwoo to take while jerks his head to Jaejoong.

            “I’m good” Woohyun declines, opting to drink water bottle instead. Dongwoo holds his right hand up, not wanting to hear anything. He has the feeling it something related to Jaejoong, when it comes to Jaejoong is up to no good. He watches Jaejoong’s warrily, the said person looks up from his document he is reading and holds his gaze with Dongwoo. Dongwoo knows already who is the winner in this match. He looks away and receives the wine Sungyeol is holding for him.

            “The queen, let the queen dances freely. Dancing freely for the sake of Kingdom” Jaejoong says to everyone in the room. Dongwoo gulps down the wine in one go, have no words to reply for that statement.

-------

             Soeun sips her tea slowly while glancing to the man before her. Junhyung “coincidentally” meets her at the cafe near the college. She doesn’t want to appear rude when he comes to her table with cup of coffee in hand. She feels warry around him since the incident at the party hold by Lotte for Jaejoong. It has been long time a go, but she can’t erase the solemn eyes and forced smile he gave when she left him with Howon and Sehuna. And somehow she can’t stand Myungsoo’s force smile and stiff expression everytime he sees Junhyung. He will make good company should the situation isn’t mess up. She can’t picture herself talk to him when she remembers Myungsoo’s face. She feels hatred to him without she realizes, without good reasons and the feeling scares him. The only thing she knows is she hates him for making Myungsoo has that expression on his face.  

             “What are you doing here, Junhyung-shi? What is the occassion that bring you here?” She asks him and winces a little with her harsh tone, she doesn’t mean it to be that cold, but she can’t help it either.

             “The coffee is good” Junhyung answers like it’s the obvious thing to state. He holds up his coffee to make the point accross on her mind. She nods her head and starts to flips the page of photography magazine her colleague recommends.  Junhyung’s gaze lingers on her left ring finger where simple silver band addores her delicate finger. It shouts Kim Myungsoo all over, he really wants to take the band off her finger. His thoughts is interupted by her phone ring. Soeun’s expression falls a little, but she sighs in relief after.

             “Thank you very much to inform me. Please, call me if it happens again” Junhyung looks at her closely, she seems don’t realize that he has watched her every move. She ends the call with another thank to the caller before makes call while excuses herself from their table.

               “I will go first Junhyung-shi. Enjoy the coffee” Junhyung nods his head. He can still catch to whom she talks.

             “Hello Jason. Are you with my husband now? Could you pass him your phone, I can’t call him” Soeun asks Jason, Jason is quite close with her. He doesn’t feel intimidate by her status as Myungsoo’s wife and fortunately Myungsoo has used with Jason’s flirting around, so he doesn’t take any of the flirting as threat.

             He doesn’t watch her walks outside the cafe to know she won’t turn her back or head to look at him. He has came to know Kim Soeun is honest person and it hurts to receive the cold gaze from her. She brushes off his attempts to befriend her after Jaejoong’s welcome party. She doesn’t avoid him, but her cold shoulder becomes permanent in their encounters. The cold gaze, the cold shoulder will be dissipated to no trace when her husband is around.

           Maybe she is not of person who holding a grudge if it comes to her own, but I’m certain she is the type who will avenged for someone she loves. She won’t hesitate to kill you, hyung. Kim Myungsoo has hold the most person you desire, he can change her to cold blood if he wants it that way.

-----

           “Hello, Oppa. I won't coming home tonight. I will spend my time at hospital to check on patient records” She ends the phone after thanking her brother. She stops taxi in front of the hospital. She gives the address to the driver. She doesn’t realize that there is other car follow her behind. She gives the access card on the check in post, the man nods his head and opens the gate for them to go inside.

        “Have nice day, Mrs. Lee” She nods her head and receives her access card back. Sehuna thanks the driver and pays for the rise. She looks up to the apartment building in front of her. She takes deep breathe before walks inside. 

         Kris parks his car a block from the well known tight security neighboorhood to live at Seoul district. He sees from the rearview, Sehuna goes to the inside. He can’t follow her without access card or the resident’s permission to visit. He had heard from Sungyeol that Howon owns an apartment, no one of his friends ever visited it though except for Sungjong who had been sent by his father to take a document from Howon while he was there. He needs to try his luck, he calls Sungjong and asks for the confirmation. He feeds Sungjong’s curiosity with white lie of wanting new house to reside that maybe he will be lucky enough to have friend as his neighboor. Sungjong accepts his reason and confirms it.

        “Howon-hyung is out of country now. He won’t mind to help you to find suitable place at his neighboorhood if that’s what you want, hyung. Well, you have to wait from him to come back to Seoul should you are curious of inside his apartment. It’s quite spacey and was designed elegantly” Sungjong informs him excitedly. Kris thanks him and rests his back on the driver seat. He knows it’s not his bussiness. Sehuna is Lee Howon’s fiancee, if they live together it’s not his right to feel jealous. How far their relationship is? Kris shakes his head, he has known Lee Howon and his friends long enough. Choi Sehuna comes from strict and religious family background, Howon himself isn’t man who will take advantage of women.

        Sehuna finds herself looks around the apartment. Howon doesn’t change the password of the apartment and seems he didn’t spend much time here. She can feel the dust on the surface of the glass table under her fingertips. She looks on every detail of the apartment closely. She has received a brown package this morning from a men who introduces himself as Kim Sunggyu’s father secretary. The men, Kim Seokjin, told her that he just being sent to give the package to her. She thanked him and put it on her locker. She found memo inside with Kim Myungsoo’s signature on it. She brought the package to the hospital rooftop where she could read the document and watched the video on the flash disk. She finally realized how much pressure Howon receives and how she knew nothing about him. This men tries his hard to appear strong, tough, and gentle in the public. He dedicates his life for the sake of others. So what is left for him in the end? She closes her eyes, Lee Howon, she really wants to slap this men. She really wants to kncok sense on her fiance little head. She wants to yell at him for being so selfless when it comes for his own happiness. She gives last look to her surrounding and runs upstair to Howon’s room. She never stepped into Howon’s room. The bare and plain room greets her. She opens every single drawer in the room.

        “I know nothing about him” She smiles bitterly to herself. She takes the suits and clothes inside, brings it to the bed. She unfolds and folds it back. She admits it’s stupid, but she can’t help to feel desperate. She dials her father’s number.

        “Father, Could you help me?” She waits for her father response.

     “I’m sorry. I want Lee Howon for myself” Her father doesn’t reply to that. She hears his father exhales deeply. She laughs bitterly when his father asks does she love Howon. Lee Howon, she doesn’t love him, but she realizes he is the only one that can make her really mad and feel the agony to be close to good man.

      “He makes me questions the God” She ends the call and brings her knees to her chest. His father knows her like a back of his palm. He must get the weight of her confession.

-----

            Siwon gazes to the source of voice when knocks heard from his door. He gives the person on the other side of the door to come in. He hears the foot step and looks up to meet his father unreadable expression. He stands from the chair and walks to his father side. Something is not right, he can feels it.

            “Tell me everything you know about Lee Howon” He says in demand. Siwon is taken back by the words.

            “What did happen, father? Did Lee Howon do something?” Siwon doesn’t know what to ask and he doesn’t know why his father asks about him in the first place.

            “Do you have time to talk?” He smiles to his son. Siwon nods his head and sits on the couch occupied at his study room. His father is still wearing the same smile which Siwon finds desperately wrong.

            “I never asked you this before. What do you think of Lee Howon personally?” Siwon thinks of words to put his thought.

            “He is great bussinessman, fierce, responsible, and calm”

            “Aren’t they the truth or the magazine stated?” His father asks him. Siwon sighs, he doesn’t know how to describe Lee Howon.

            “It seems your mens are useless. They don’t find anything about him, right?” Siwon widens his eyes, he is speechless.

            “I’m your father, Siwon. I knew all my children. That’s the case, I knew”

            “Father, what are you trying to say?” Siwon can’t help to feel chill runs on his spine.

            “Which one you fear the most, Siwon? Demon or Angel of Death?”

            “Demon is bond to hell, creature who wants to bring human to hell, tries to make us become sinner. Meanwhile, Angel of Death, he is angel. Beautiful creature, serves God and he is angel. He is not angel in disguish. He is real angel, he is Angel, Siwon” His father says calmly.

            “God, I love God and fear Him as well” Siwon says after awhile. His father nods his head in aggreement. His father stands from the couch and pats his shoulder.

             “I’m going to marry off my youngest daughter to the beautiful creature, Siwon” His father says in finality before dissapears from his sight. Leaving him to grab the consequence they had signed before they realize the implication of the contract to their life.  

             He has warned them, Shinsegae, he would not let someone mess up with his family. He thought, they had gone too far, and he had enough with their action. He  smiles bitterly, finally the Choi family will involve in the rivalry between Lotte and Shinsegae. It’s not about bussiness anymore, it won’t be that simple from now on. He calls his personal assistant, he won’t let the time pass to realize how late he is to aware of the down fall.

           “Donghae, please arrange meeting with the broad directors on Wednesday. I have something important to discuss with them” Donghae hums in the other line.

“Anything else?” Donghae asks his boss. He clenches his fist, this time no more chance to going back.

“Call Kim Jaejoong, tell him Choi Siwon from Hyundai wants to meet him personally” Donghae will warn him to not get involve with them other than bussiness matter. He will warn him to separate bussiness from private life.

-----

           Myungsoo is watching the two personal assistants who work on documents of the branch managers give to them. He always know how efficient and flawless Mark on every job he is doing. Mark can speak multiple languages which become handy on many occassions. He doesn’t get many time to work around Jason though. Sunggyu’s personal assistant has playboy title and whimsy image attach on him, he is quite famous in the office. He has heard enough of squeals Hyeyeon let out when she talks about him. His secretary has a thing for  certain younger man. From what he sees Jason is noisy type of person, but he will give him two tumbs up for his hard work and fast response to situation. Mark is quiet and calm, he won’t utter word should it needed. He has worked longer than Jason, he worked under his father before being given duty as Howon’s personal assistant. He makes note about them the two can work in sync, they can manage every work they throw to him, they make good team.

            “I’m starving” Jason says to Mark. Mark doesn’t give attention to Jason, his eyes fix on the document he is currently checking.

            “Mark.....” The said man looks up slightly before looks back to the paragraph he leaves. He marks the report with a pencil on several places. Jason looks annoyed with the action. He is about to call the other P.A. again when Mark suddenly holds his left hand up and says something “sarcass” to Jason.

            “Move your lazy alone. I’m not Sunggyu-nim who will give in to your whimp” Myungsoo surpresses his laugh when he hears that. So it’s true that Sunggyu spoils Jason, his hyung has urgency to take care of the younger one. Seems Jason is one of persons he takes fond to.

            “Mark, I have been want to ask you this. Do you know where Howon-nim buy the aircraft prototype at his office? It’s what we call as art, to get your hand on the rare miniature is really something” Myungsoo raises his eyebrows, he doesn’t have any idea that Howon is interest in aircraft prototype. Howon’s hobby is playing games so it’s understandable his unbelievable amount of CD games collection.

            “It is gift from Sehuna-shi. Well, I can say the prototype was being made by request. Do you want to order for your own?” Mark says curiously.

            “I’m going to think about it over and over. Are you kidding me? I won’t take risk of starving just to spend good amount of fortune for prototype. At least not for now, I still have stomach to feed” Jason laughs at his own words. Mark shakes his head and turns his attention back to the document. Myungsoo sees his wristwatch, no wonder Jason is hungry. They have worked inside the room for almost 6 hours straight, he looks to the window. The sun has been far to the west, the blue sky was already changed to soft orange shade. He stands from his chair and walks closer to the window. The view outside somehow different with he used to see. He is familiar with this kind of sight, it’s not that it has changed. This room was designed to provide the most comfortable environment to work and located at the end of the highest floor of Lotte’s branch building with the best view of the city. He never took proper look on the scenery, he is not fond of architecture, he doesn’t find it magnificent with many massive buildings standing tall. However, he must admit it’s not that bad to put aside his current judgment to let himself enjoying small thing that he can get at the time.

            “What are you thinking about?” Myungsoo turns his head to his left. Howon stands beside him holding two mug of coffee. He smiles gratefully to him and accepts the warm dark liquid with his right hand. He sips it a bit, it’s too sweet for his taste, but still nice to have something flows into his throat and smells nice so he doesn’t have any complaint to the person who made the coffee for them.

            “Something trivial, nt important to tell” He says and sips his coffee again. Howon nods his head and looks outside to where Myungsoo’s eyes previously fixed at. From side of his eye, he realizes Myungsoo scrutinizes him.

            “Mark, Jason” Howon calls the two.

            “Yes, Howon-shi / Howon-nim. Anything we could help?” Howon will find it’s amuse in normal situation, he won’t have this kind of thought when all his mind is settling on the conversation he will have with Myungsoo.

            “There is Chinese restaurant two blocks from this building. I have reserved table for us. You can go first to claim it, order anything you want. It’s on me” He smiles to them. They get the message behind the sentences quickly. They nods their head slightly and bows before leave the two alone. Myungsoo hears the door is being closed, Howon has already sat on the couch where Jason previously occupied on. He follows suit, takes unoccupied seat Mark used before.

            “Have you known what will I converse with you or you need me to enlighten it up?”

Myungsoo starts seriously. Howon holds his right hand up slightly. He gets all this is going, it won’t far from his conversation with Jaejoong last before he left Seoul.

            “Lets talk about Choi Sehuna, Lotte, myself, Hyundai, you, Soeun, and Shinsegae” Myungsoo exhales and inhales the air for a moment before facing Howon. He wants his brother tells him, but Howon maybe knows better than Jaejoong himself know.

            “I found your diary in the night of your accident. Baekhyun and I read it, we couldn’t find some pages that had been ripped, the part of the darkest secret of Kim Myungsoo’s existence” Howon states, Myungsoo doesn’t look away. He doesn’t deny or admit what he has said.

            “I have already known someone took my diary when I tried to search for it after I was being charged of the hospital. Did the others read it as well?” Howon shakes his head, he told them about several important things, he keeps the other for himself.

            “They knew to some degree” Howon admits honestly. Myungsoo nods his head in understanding, feeling grateful of Howon’s action. He is worthy person, he doesn’t know what he had revealed, but he believed it was needed to be known. If it’s the only way to make Howon talks, he will play together with him.

             “Do you want to know the last piece of the diary?” Myungsoo asks seriously.

          “What do you want as the change?” Howon asks back. Myungsoo smiles little and takes something from his suit pocket. He puts the flashdisk in front of Howon.

          “That’s the CCTV video from your apartment. Uncle Lee, Lee Junki, Byun Baekhyun, Nam Woohyun, Lee Howon, Jang Dongwoo, Lee Sungyeol, Lee Sungjong, Yong Junghyun, Yon Doojun, Jang Hyunseung, that's information I would love to share with you. The secret needs to be revealed”

          “You?” Howon asks in disbelieve.

         “For a mother who sacrificed her own son to safe the stranger son” Myungsoo says while dusting his suit and leaves Howon. He opens the door before stops abruptly and turns his head slightly.

        “Thank you for what you are doing for us, hyung. Let me do the same for your favor” Myungsoo says to Howon, he smiles little before adding the sentence he has kept for so long.

       “Choi Sehuna, she will need you to save her from the madness between Shinsegae, Lotte, and Hyundai”  Howon smiles a little while playing with the flash disk.

       “How could I forget you are Kim Junsoo’s son and Kim Jaejoong’s brother” Myungsoo shrughs his shoulder.

       “Don’t forget who you are as well, Lee Howon”

       “I hope we won’t ended up like The Three Kingdoms” Howon states. Myungsoo turns his body fully and looks straight to Howon’s eyes.

      “The Kingdoms will stand tall, hyung. The royalties, no one knows what will happen to them” Myungsoo gives him small smile before leaves him alone to think further about their conversation.