Run

Mugunghwa Promise

Howon raises his eyebrows when Mark comes to his room with brown package on his hands and put it on his work desk. He looks to Mark who just shrugs his shoulder and motions with his right hand to open the said package. Howon sees white envelope attaches on the package. He takes out the paper inside and finds out who is the sender none other than his fiancée. He smiles a little to the words written on the paper and can’t help not to chuckle.

You can work hard, but don’t miss anything fun world offer to you.

PS : Jimin chooses it for you.

                                                                                                                                    Choi Sehuna

 

Howon opens the package and takes a look on what is inside. Howon laughs little and shakes his head. Mark can’t help to not laugh with him when Howon shows him the little gift. Howon has his eyes on the gift he has received. Mark smiles little, Choi Sehuna is really something. She is the wind that Howon needs.

“She is really something” Mark remarks. Howon looks up to him and nods his head.

“You still have time to flight the plane and let it enjoy the soft breeze outside” Mark gives Howon hint and he picks it up easily, but shakes his head immediately and puts aside the plane prototype.

“I have documents to check today. Maybe next time” Howon says with eyes back on the document he reads before Mark comes in. Mark sighs, he looks once again to his boss. He closes the door quietly. He needs to fix it, he won’t let them do as their wish.

-------

Myungsoo and Sungyeol send each other glance, they feel how strange Howon is this days. Howon seems always in deep in thought, he is quiet type, but not this quiet and it’s frightened for them. Sungyeol is about to ask him what’s going on, before he has the chance Howon gets a call. Howon excuses his self and stands from his seat. They don’t mean to eavesdrop, but they hear some of the conversation. Howon comes inside and tells them he needs to go. They see Howon walks out of the room. Sungyeol sighs and shakes his head. Howon looks really tired after he gets the call.  The caller they bet it is his parents or his fiancée parents.

Howon’s father asks Sungyeol and Myungsoo personally to help Howon deal with this because of Myungsoo has already married and Sungyeol is the only one who doesn’t have assign project yet. They have spare Howon from several problems raise in Lotte because of his personal stuff. Woohyun has said his suspicion over the scheme that Shinsegae build to bring them down. They have gotten several complaint or concern from the customers that they found expiry products at food department at several branches. It’s good that they are their loyal customers, Woohyun has sent investigation team to investigate this case. Jaejoong is really mad when he hears about it. If the news comes out to the public, it will effect on their incredibility and reputation. They need to check on staffs and their works, they don’t want this to trigger big problem in the future. Luhan, staff of Hyundai who works in same project with Howon and Sunggyu shares his concern over it too. Woohyun got call from Siwon days later which stated that Hyundai D.S would help them too. Obviously, Siwon doesn’t like it at all, he feels like he needs to do something out of help or he doesn’t want this affect Hyundai’s reputation as well. They are business partner after all, it won’t do good to be in spot light. Lotte ever felt nightmare years ago with the scandals around the board director, not that public ever had the chance to know.

Howon takes off his suit and walks to the kitchen. He opens the refrigerator and grabs a bottle of water inside. He has finished the monthly check on their branch outside Seoul. He wishes the job would take longer to finish. He hardly ever sleep this week, he buries himself at works. This apartment is like an empty space, he has told her to move back to her house to avoid scandal. Someone has the gut to make lie about them live together outside wedlock. If the rumor spread, it will bring shame to their family especially Sehuna’s. He won’t let them do it as they wish.

“I won’t let you break Sehuna like you did to her” Howon grabs his car key and walks out of his apartment.

------

Howon takes leave from office early. His father informs him that they will have dinner with the Choi on next Saturday, he doesn’t like it a bit. He doesn’t know what they will talk about, but he is sure it’s all about him and Sehuna. He doesn’t want to drag her in this whole mess. He ever said that the Choi will take a part, but somehow he doesn’t want it to happen. He uses them, he uses his fiancée. He parks his car at parking lot of SNUH and immediately heads inside. He is about to ask the receptionist if he can meet Sehuna, but then he remembers her schedules, it’s still hours before her shift ends. He shakes his head, he feels stupid why he comes here all of place. He decides to go to the hospital cafeteria, he needs coffee to calm his nerve down. He sips his coffee, bitter like what he needs at the moment. He rises from his chair and leaves the cafeteria.

 I need to do something before someone is getting hurt

Sehuna massages her head, she still can’t shake her thought from Siwon’s words several days ago. She can tell from what Siwon told her how sorry Howon is to make her went along with their engagement, to make her defend him. Howon will solve the rumor and makes sure no one has the gut to spread the lie. She looks up when someone shoves a cup of coffee in front of her. She raises her eyebrows, she doesn’t know this person.

            “Sorry” She says hesitantly don’t know what to say. The tall man shakes the cup and urges her to take it.

            “Thank you, but no it’s still work time” She refuses the coffee as polite as possible to the stranger.

            “Oh… I’m sorry then. I think you need coffee, you look distress” The man smiles softly to her.

            “I…..” She doesn’t finish her words when her colleague calls her name and walks fast to her. Her colleague is eyeing the man slightly and smiles sweetly to him, but then avert her attention back to Sehuna. She informs her that she sees her fiancé at cafeteria, Sehuna’s eyes widen. She thanks her and rushes to the elevator. She even doesn’t realize the man follows him behind. 

            She dials Howon’s number, hoping he would pick her call up. She almost crash with nurse who brings tray of medicine, she immediately apologize, she manages to walks fast and careful after that.

            “Intern Choi” Kyuhyun calls her.

            “Sunbae, Could wait a minute I have something important to….” She says in rush.

            “I saw your fiancé minute ago. I guess he is still at the parking lot”

            “Thank you, sunbaenim” She bows and runs to the said place.

Kyuhyun shakes his head with the girl behavior. Kyuhyun widens his eyes when sees Kris there stand not far from him.

            “Kris” He approaches him.

            “How is State? When do you come back?” Kris doesn’t grab the question, he is absorbing the information he just get. Kyuhyun takes deep breathe, he has known Kris has crush on Sehuna, but it seems he takes it too lightly before.

            “How about we go to my room?” Kris still has his gaze linger to the hospital main door.

            “She already has fiancé?” Kris asks without averts his gaze to Kyuhyun.

            “Yes”

            “When do you know hyung?” Kyuhyun sighs.

             “Is he good man?” Kris knows it’s absurd question, but Kyuhyun doesn’t mind it.

            “Maybe you know him better than me” Kris finally gives all his attention to Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun can’t read Kris’ expression, he voids his feeling shown on his face.

            “He is Kim Myungsoo’s friend. Lee Howon” Kyuhyun says without being asked.

            “Is that so?” Kris asks or states barely whispers.

            “Kris” Kyuhyun pats his back. Kris gives him best smile he can muster.

            “Would you mind to introduce me to her?” He asks with smile. Kyuhyun wants to say yes, but he nods his head nonetheless.

-----------

Soeun gets call from her husband when she is in the middle of her class. She excuses herself from the class and goes outside. Myungsoo never called her before lunch and it gives her bad feeling even before he speaks.

            “What’s wrong?” Soeun asks.

“What?” Myungsoo asks in confusion.

“Would you mind to share?” Soeun asks patiently. She waits for his answer and hears his long sigh from the other end of the phone line.

            “Uncle Lee and Mr. Choi Seungwon have shared their concern with the bad spread rumor. Uncle Lee has asked me personally to help Howon on this matter, he also asks me if you maybe will help us as well. I don’t know how bad it is, we don’t think it can’t be worst already. They won’t let us have peaceful life, don’t they?” Soeun sighs, she has predicted this. Myungsoo told her that someone has spread bad rumor relating to Howon and Sehuna. They are accused of do immoral. Immoral? Soeun wants to scoff. Myungsoo told her how Sehuna’s mother and Howon’s mother kind of being a cupid for their children and led Howon to buy apartment near hospital where Sehuna takes her internship. Irresponsible person who they believe wants to take advantage of this situation spread wrong news that the couple live together outside of wedlock. It’s not literally wrong, but then the implicit meaning behind it is totally something up frown in the society and with religious image of the Choi, it’s like hard slap for them. Soeun has known they sometime stay on Howon’s apartment, but she knows really well they do nothing and she believes on it. It becomes big deal for the Choi, their youngest daughter’s name is on jeopardize along with their family name. They can deny this because no prove to show, Howon’s apartment security is really tight to break by intruder. It’s huge relief, kind of advantage for them. After the fiasco of Hyunseung made at Lotte, it becomes clear that their life isn’t as secretive as they want. Soeun is more cautious than ever now than ever.

            “Howon-hyung has sacrificied many things not just for us, but also his siblings. He never wants to be businessmen at first place, but then again he gave up his dream to give Junki-hyung chance to live his dream without being chained to replace Uncle Lee’s position” Myungsoo laughs dryly. Soeun gives Myungsoo time to speak his mind to her. Somehow Myungsoo will end his statement and asks Soeun in some point when he finishes his, it’s not the time to ask yet.

            “They are trying to make the best of it. Howon-hyung makes decent job to handle their engagement and being gentlemen he is, he will put her first before his other priorities. I am happy that she does the same. They are great team and somehow I believe they will make good couple. I guess I watch too many Korean dramas, right?” Myungsoo asks. Soeun wants to scoff, their life is drama enough to begin with and Myungsoo doesn’t have the leisure time to even watch single episode of drama without being disturbed by documents waiting to be reviewed or reports to check.

“Are you okay?” Soeun asks.

“Soeun, we are conversing about Howon-hyung here. Why do you ask such weird question?” The tone, she hates the tone. It’s tone when he feels distressed. She chooses not to answer him and says something else.

            “He will be okay, they will be okay. We are going to help them through it” There is painful silence follows, no one want to break the silence. They still try to grab and picture it in their mind, making themselves believe that it will in fact be okay.

            “You and I” Myungsoo whispers finally, barely whispers, but makes sure the latter hears it.

            “They will be okay, we will be okay” She says in enthusiasm. Myungsoo chuckles slightly, Soeun feels her heart skip a beat. She will make sure that this kind of pleasant sounds will surround her rest of life.

------

Sehuna pokes on her meal, she has no appetite to eat. Siwon sighs, he doesn’t like it at all. His sister isn’t gloomy girl, sometime she has that poker face, most of the time, but not when she is at home and in front of her older brother absolutely. Siwon has picked her up from hospital after her shift. Howon asked him to do this, Siwon thought Howon didn’t give damn to the rumor, but seemed he was wrong. Howon came to him and apologized for the rumor, he could tell how sorry he feels to them.

“Sehuna” Siwon calls her name softly. Sehuna doesn’t respond to him. She is busy playing with her fork and messes up the food without takes bite on the meal in front of her. Luckily, his parents and Bora are not around to witness this kind of Sehuna. Bora accompanies Jimin on his school tours for 3 days 2 nights trip. He doesn’t want to see their worried faces especially his mother.

Their mothers know each other, but not close enough that kind belong to friendship. They attended same college and they met under complicated circumstance, they born to wealthy family was the only reason they ever encountered in the first place. When his mother heard about Lotte offered project plan to Hyundai, she sighed because no in this world that her husband would accept their intention. She was wrong, his father was impressed with the young man who presenting the project to the Hyundai share holders. Out of curiosity she asked one of her trusted man to find information of Lee Howon. She has met Howon several times on charity or other events, she put extra attention to him after that. One night his father brought discussion to living room and summoned all of the family members to ask for their opinions, his father explained that he has eyes on Lee Howon along time even before the project presentation, if not for the fact that he is the son of Vice President of Lotte, he will do everything to bring Howon to Hyundai. He has taken like to the boy long time ago and he knew he wants to make her part of their family, Siwon has showed his dislike on the idea. Sehuna, Howon will be husband of his youngest sister no doubt if the deal is going smoothly. He wouldn’t let the happiness of his sister being sacrificed. After long heat arguments, Jiwon’s husband had voice his opinion that ended their long conversation. He made good point, they want the best for Sehuna, but it’s Sehuna’s life, she is the one who has the final say. They gathered once again with Sehuna presented after she came back from State and to their surprise Sehuna want to give it try before make judgment and decided. 

“Sehuna” Siwon tries once again with higher tone. Siwon shakes his head, his sister seems too deep in her thought. He rises from his chair and walks around the dining table to the other side where Sehuna sits. He takes chair beside her, the chair makes low screech noise. Sehuna blinks her eyes and turns her head to meet his brother’s dark brown orbs.

“You don’t like the food? You want to eat something else? I can ask the chef to make it for you or we can order food you like” Sehuna shakes her head.

“Sushi… Can we order sushi?” Siwon raises his eyebrows but calls the best Sushi restaurant to order one set of sushi.

“Do you want to watch movie like we used to when we were children?” Siwon asks smiling to her, they have moved to the living room waiting for their order to come. Sehuna knows her brother has something to say from his gesture and behind his words hold important conversation they need to talk as fast as possible. She isn’t in the kind of mood to talk right now.

“Jiwon will be here later, she wants to spend time with us. Sort of sibling time” Siwon adds, he looks carefully to Sehuna’s face and waits for her answer.

“Okay” She smiles little.

“We can watch film I get this day. Luhan recommended it. IMDB gives it high score he told me” She nods her head. Siwon sighs, it won’t work. He grabs her wrist and brings her to his embrace.

---------

Mark watches carefully the CEO movement. He admires this man a lot, he is one of his reasons to work in Lotte and it won’t change anytime soon. The said man puts the document he is currently reading to aside. He focuses his gaze to Mark. Mark waits patiently for the man to start.

“How is the progression so far Mark?” Myungsoo’s father asks Mark.

“We manage to get the CCTV video, Sir. Nothing to worry, we have it under control” Mark answers politely. Myungsoo’s father nods his head.

 “Is it needed to track down the man behind the rumor, Sir?”

“It’s not needed for now. We have it under control as you say. Junwoo will like to do it by himself. How is Howon?” Mark contemplates with what he should say. Myungsoo’s father sighs and takes off his reading glasses.

“Make sure you will be there to assist him” Mark nods his head firmly.

------

Myungsoo and Howon are talking about the progress of the joins project when they see Hyunseung and Junhyung step in to the café. The two of them are surprise to see the others, but cover it quickly. Myungsoo ignores them and sips his coffee calmly, Howon does the same. They put down their coffee and change their subject of conversation. Junhyung walks to another direction when he sees them, but it’s just like Hyunseung never learned to stay away from trouble when he stops on their table.

            “Nice to meet you Myungsoo-shi, Howon-shi” They can detect spat on his voice when he says Howon.

            “Nice to meet you Hyunseung-shi” Myungsoo and Howon answer politely.

“Don’t know that I will meet you two here. It’s long journey from Lotte”

“It’s not close to Hyundai either” Howon says calmly while sipping his coffee.

“Well, this café provide cozy place, nice view and absolutely good taste of beverages and snack” Hyunseung chuckles.

“Oh well, I need to go. Enjoy your break and say my hello to your wife Myungsoo-shi and your fiancée Howon-shi” Myungsoo can see Howon holds the mug tightly to control his emotion.  Hyunseung leave them with smug smile on his face.

------

Jaejoong and Sunggyu bring Howon to the bar. They need drink to chill their mind. Jaejoong doesn’t think he is ready for morning headache so he chooses red wine instead, Sunggyu and Howon follow suit. They are not the type who will drown their selves on beer just to make their mind cool. They don’t want their mind being cloud by something without they have full control, to say the least they don’t like being drunk.

“How is your job?” Sunggyu asks lamely to Howon. Howon shakes his head, he appreciates it though even he can’t grab why Sunggyu asks it in the first place when they meet at office almost every day.

“It’s okay. Everything is under control nothing to be worried”

“No wonder, you work one’s finger to bone” Sunggyu smiles and takes sip of the red wine. Jaejoong observes the two quietly, he listens to every words they say. He won’t lie that he is kind of pity the two. He has venture around since he was young, his father sent him to England right after his high school graduation. He has finished his Ph.D. as well without being disturbed with the obligation to come back to Seoul. He is back because he wants to not because of his father, he doesn’t really care actually with their family and company aside of Myungsoo. He even won’t be back to Seoul if it’s not because of the fact that Myungsoo lives here. He is heartless and he admits it, all he wants is make Junhyung’s live as hell. He will pay for what he does to his brother. He can do anything to reach his goal.

Sunggyu excuses himself to the toilet. Jaejoong nods his head as acknowledgement, he thanks Sunggyu in his mind to give time with Howon alone. Howon seems pick it as cue as well. Jaejoong taps his fingers follow the jazz being played behind.

“Send me to Moscow branch” Howon says and takes his car key, leaves Jaejoong without waiting for his response.

----------

Myungsoo shakes his head in disbelieve when he reads the name of the one who will be sent to Moscow to inspect their branch over there. Lee Howon…. He thought it would Dongwoo or Sungyeol not Howon. His brother is kidding, right? Jaejoong sips his tea calmy, not affected by the fact of bewildered expression on Myungsoo’s face.

“I have no reason to against his wish. Howon doesn’t have many works here. Howon is familiar with the Moscow branch, he has inspected it last year so you don’t need to be surprised”

“Are you sure, it’s the right time to send Howon out of Korea?” Myungsoo asks with sarcasm. He hopes his brother has picked this up without the needed of further explanation.

“Howon himself who asks me to send him to Moscow branch yesterday night, I give him space to think it over” He smirks, Myungsoo knows what kind of smirk it this. His brother gives him the privilege to take the last step.

“Don’t you think it will be easier if they talk to each other? Howon-hyung’s knight in shining armor syndrome won’t die easily. Then again who says that he is knight this time” Myungsoo states and Jaejoong can’t agree more to that.

“Make sure they talk before Howon’s departure” Jaejoong riffles his brother’s hair and leaves Myungsoo with his own thought.

-----

            Sehuna looks up from the magazine she reads. Actually, she holds it not even put an effort to look on the articles, her mind is wandering around to something else. She can’t sleep even a blink even if her body screams to rest, she knows it’s stupid to keep pondering the question in her mind. She can just go to Howon’s house or the office to ask why he avoids her so abruptly. She doesn’t give damn to the spread rumor, it’s false accusation nothing to be worried about. Then, she realizes it’s Howon they talk about. He values other above himself, he is ambitious, he can sacrifice his life and happiness to achieve his goal, but he won’t sacrifice others even though in the end he will be the one at the edge. This is about the two of them, not just one. They are being force to fit in each other life and she won’t let their efforts become vain because of bad rumor. Howon needs to realize that somehow.

            “I hope for one beam light to shine through the dark window” Sehuna whispers while looks carefully on her engagement ring.