Pieces of Past

Mugunghwa Promise

 

“Thank you” Jaejoong kneeled down, put white lily he had brought, and prayed in front of the grave. Sunggyu and Hoya did the same. They waited till Jaejoong cracked voice came out.

“I’m Kim Myungsoo’s brother. I’m here to greet you. It is first time I come here, hope you didn’t mind. I want to come here sooner, sorry. Thanks to give him a life. Thanks…..” Jaejoong bit his bottom lip, wiped tears on edge of his eyes.

They averted their gaze when heard a step walk toward them. Jaejoong and Sunggyu stood up. They saw young man and old woman brought bouquet of white chrysanthemum. They bowed slightly. The old lady looked tired, confuse written all her face.

“Who are you?” The young man on Myungsoo’s age asked. Jaejoong bowed and bowed.

“Stop, boy. What are you doing?” The old woman stopped him, touched his shoulder. Jaejoong looked on her face. She flashed sincere smile.

“Thank you” Those two words all word he could manage. He had many things to say, but seems disappeared all of sudden. She was confused; but after Jaejoong explains and she saw Hoya, she nodded and smiled.

“Jonghoon-ah, they come here to say thank you. You must be proud of yourself. We are happy here, you are happy too, right? God and angels love you, right? They take good care of you, mom know it. I will come here soon, dear. Sleep tight”

“Hyung, I come here. We are live well. Remember what did I say 5 years ago? I will make my photo as cover of big magazine? Yes, I did it hyung. Not just one photo, I made big deal with National Geographic also some nature and environment organizations. I will capture this beautiful earth, hyung. Say hello to God and beautiful angels for me” He laughed bitterly.

She invited them to her house. Her house it’s not big, but not too small. They sat on the couch while she went to the kitchen. Jaejoong stood and touched big photo hanging on the wall. Handsome teenager around 15 smiled widely hold trophy between woman and man around 40.

“That’s Jonghoon-hyung, ahjumma, and ahjushi. I captured this picture when he won band competition” The young man said.

“Handsome” Jaejoong complimented.

“Yes, he was. He was the handsome and best hyung I have ever known” He said.

“Anyway, my name is Choi Minho” He introduced his self. Jaejoong realized they didn’t introduce their self properly. Sunggyu and Hoya stood and they introduced their self as well.

They sat after Jonghyun’s mother came and brought tea along with cheese cake. They stay silent. Jaejoong looked over the house. It’s really cozy and warm he note.

“How is his life now?” Jonghoon’s mother broke the silences. Jaejoong blinked and back to the reality. He thought for a while to register what she had said. He understood who she means was.

“He is live well. He has family now. I’m sorry he didn’t come here” Jaejoong apologized. She shook his head.

"I don't want he feel guilty if he saw me. I just want to hear he is happy and has good life" She smiled. Jaejoong smiled on return.

“Actually, I was little surprised you came, I thought just one who knew. The doctor promised to me that hospital won’t reveal the identity of my son. I knew someone always sent money to my account every moth for 9 years. I asked the bank to give it back to the person, but they said they couldn’t. I don’t know who he or she is. He or she came when my son birthday and left white roses bouquet. I have asked doctor did the receiver family, but they said they didn’t do that. Two months ago I saw someone stood in front of my son grave. I just barely saw his face, but then when he left I saw white rose bouquet there. I saw him again last month, he came with his son. I approached him and he bowed again and again” Her voice shaking. Hoya looked down.

“He apologized and promised to keep it as secret” She added. They felt pang on their heart. They knew if their visited make her sad. Jaejoong’s head hanging low.

“Oh, sorry. It’s my sentiment. I’m happy to have you all here. I’m always alone. It’s nice to have guest here. I almost forget to ask your name” She smiled. They smiled too.

“I’m Kim Jaejoong. This is Kim Sunggyu and someone beside Minho-shi is Lee Howon” Sunggyu stood and bowed. Hoya did the same. Last month they met, but his father asked him to left him first. Hoya obeyed.

“Send my regard to your father Mr. Lee Junwoo” She smiled. Hoya nodded.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Junwoo, thank you” Junsoo said.

“Junsoo you need to open up. You know it’s hard to see Jaejoong and Myungsoo on this way” Junwoo sighed.

“Don’t ask me more than this. I can’t face Myungsoo and Jaejoong now” He closed his eyes and let the wind touched his face.

“You let them hate you. I can’t bear with it. Jaejoong refused to take my position” Junwoo said.

Junsoo let out deep sigh.

“Hoya told me everything happened yesterday. Jaejoong felt really bad, he blames his self, blames you as well. Jaejoong will against you. He is really mad at you. Why you let him think you are bad father.  Junsoo, you need to….” Junsoo cut off his words.

“Junwoo, you admit I’m bad father too, right? It’s too late for me. No chance to turn back. I blame Myungsoo for something he didn’t do. I blame my own son and treat him like . He heard my conversation with Jaejoong. That’s not first time he heard that, but I never give damn. He has hurt life and that night was the final. When I realized I knew it’s too late. I didn’t realize Yong Junhong and his son want to break down him on purpose. Now, let it be this way.  You did many things for my family. You are my best friend. You never left my side. You are the one who know everything about my life. I couldn’t lie to you, you know me since we were toddlers. You know me really well. You were the one who brave enough to punched me” Junsoo smiled little. 

"I punched you in the hospital. I remember that. Junsu don't blame yourself. It's hurt for me to see you, Jaejoong and Myungsoo. Myungsoo, he really want your love. Jaejoong, I know he didn't hate you. You still have chance" Junwoo adviced.

“Even though you don’t show affection, quiet, cold, but you’re observer and caring” Junsoo commented. Junwoo shook his head.

“You know the consequence, right?” Junwoo asked worriedly.

“I’ll the one who left crying, but it will distract Yong’s to haunt down my son if he thinks that they against me. He had his right hand in our company. Keep eyes on him” Junsoo said. Junwoo nodded.

“Well, why you want to give your position to Jaejoong. Have you thought to against me as well?” Junsoo asked curious. Junwoo smacked his head.

“Silly. If Jaejoong take my position, you will get many time to encounters with him, to be honest I’m bored to see your face every single day. Oh yeah, anyway he will be my vice. I don’t have one and Jaejoong will make my job easier. No one will asked me, he has experienced as manager of marketing and business strategy on one of big company in England, business consultant as well also PhD in business of Cambridge Judge Business School. It’s really big catch” He smirked.

“I couldn’t believe I chose you as my best friend” Junsoo snorted.

“You do, friend~” Junwoo sang.

They silent for a while and watched the sunset.

“Howon have sent me message. He, Jaejoong, and Sunggyu visit Choi Jonghoon's mother” Junwoo informed.

“Is she okay?” Junsoo asked.

“Well, if you asked about material, I would say yes. You need to come alone and meet her beside send money to her account. She is fine, I met her twice”

“I have no courage to do that. When I saw her 9 years ago, she smiled while sang Myungsoo lullaby. Two days after the surgery she sang a lullaby for someone that got her son’s heart. How could I face her?” Junsoo looked up to the sky.

"Thank Junwoo. I never asked you to visited Jonghoon, but you did it" Junsoo still looked at the sky. Junwoo tried to change their topic. He laughed.

"What so funny?" Junsoo asked askance.

“Junsoo, I must be the crazy one who follows your game. I couldn’t believe myself I’m really jerk to keep this from my own son. Well, I wish Howon would understand. Anyway, why we can’t make this life simple”

“It is not disney world, it is fate, friend” They laughed.