Honest 3/4 a

Mugunghwa Promise

BAEKHYUN

            “Baekhyun-shi, there is someone who wants to meet you. She is waiting for you outside” I raise my eyebrows, my assistant is too giddy. I have no idea who, but there is no models or actresses have appointment today. I nod my head and tell her to let whoever it is to my workplace, she eagerly says yes, Sir. I look up from the gown design to meet with Luhua. I can’t hide my surprise, I already knew about her what is with her being the wife of Junmyeon-hyung and the daughter-in-law of the man who saved my life. A man that is more a father for me than my own biological father. I immediately stand from the seat and bow to her. She bows back gracefully.

            “Luhua-shi, please take a seat” I says to her warmly and motions for her to take the couch. She smiles to me gratefully and I follow her by sitting before her on unoccupied seat.

            I call for my assistant to bring us tea and refreshment. I ask her for specified tea that she likes to take. She is okay with any tea, but she prefers earl grey if we have it at our office. I nod it’s lucky that we have that kind of tea thanks to my colleague who loves tea more than her own husband. Luhua takes a look of my workplace before her eyes landed on the wedding gown that still on progress. There is small smile on her beautiful face, I can’t help but admire her beauty. Junmyeon-hyung loves her at first sight and I realize he has enough reason why he falls for her in the first place. I am aware of her popularity, mass of fans man and woman who idolizes her. She is really popular in China mainland, she ocassionally works in Korea, but most of the time she just spends her break to be with her husband. I still remember how the tabloid, magazine, newspaper, television and any digital platform covered their wedding. The reporters had field of the week, they never released any statement how they met each other, how small the percentage of an artist to meet lawyer. The speculations were imaginative and weird, well Luhua kept shut and Kim family had enough reputation to tell the reporter to back off. They are wise enough not to mess with a family which consist of prominent figure on the politics and law. Long list of family members in police department, army and any field related to the goverment.

            “Luhua-shi, I am sorry it’s not that I am not happy for your visit. However, may I ask what brings you here ?” I ask after she sips her tea, I smile when she sighs in contentment. She is flusterred after remembering any reason that brings her here. She places the cup of tea carefully on the glass table and daps a tissue on her lips. She places her right hand on her left one on her laps with the said laps face the left side. It’s fascinating to see how Junmyeon-hyung describes her behavior as accurate as it is. I have heard from Junmyeon-hyung that they are expecting for their first child. They only found about it several days ago. I am really happy for them both.

            “Thank you for the dresses you sent to me. I love the dresses, but there is no bill for the dresses. Although Junmyeon-oppa has no problem to spend money on me, he does realize that I mostly wear clothes from the brands I promote. There is speculation that I prefer a certain designer work” I want to explain to her that I have no idea to use her as promotion media, I just want to give her the dresses.

            “Baekhyun-shi, Sehuna tells me you design her wedding dress. I don’t have any idea why and I really don’t have idea about you and my husband. Sehuna thinks it’s better to ask you by myself. We are closer than I am aware of it. Mind to enlighten me ?” He hopes it's the right thing to do, telling her of his life and being honest of who he is and about life that only being known by his closest ones.

SEOKJIN AND JUNMYEON

 

            “Please, give this subpoena to Chen” Junmyeon asks his assistant who receives the said document with bow. Junmyeon waits till his assistant closing the door before he addresses the man before him. He doesn’t know where he stands with Seokjin, he lends his hand to assure Junmyeon can remove Hyunseung out of picture for good, but he has no idea what Seokjin thinks about his doing.

            “Junmyeon-shi, as we have dealed Hyuna status as witness is the last resort. Her presence may trigger more problems than what is worth. As we all know her where about is secret. Her history with Hyunseung is well-known to them, but they may have no slight idea about her and Howon-nim”

            Junmyeon is cognizant of the history, he has been made aware of Howon and Hyuna’s past relationship. Hyunseung’s hatred toward Howon may or may not caused of Hyuna. It’s not hard to believe his dislike becomes prominent when he is involved with Junghyun. Hyuna dissapeared several years ago. It is believed she moves abroad to avoid Hyunseung who in that time was her ex-boyfriend. However, noone ever discover that Hyuna was in relationship with Howon.

            “But it’s not the main problem. Hyuna sudden appearance is the actual problem. It’s warning signal to them. There is no way back after this”

            I am a tool and I am willing to be the tool to be used. I did this for Howon. He deserves happiness and for all that happened in the past, Hyunseung wouldn’t let it happen. Hyunseung is wrong to assume Howon as the one who came between us. Howon had been there even before Hyunseung came. I am ever grateful for what Howon did for me. I come back to stop Hyunseung, I have been made realize why you need to do this. I am here to help.  

            “The consequence can’t be calculated. There is payment we are willing to sacrifice. I can’t tell you how heavy or light the price is. Don’t you think I realize that they might have found about us. We are after them and they are after us. It’s act of killing or be killed, we may hurt many in the process. However, it’s the way how it is supposed to be. The bad blood has been running for long time, a part of their veins. Along the way, everyone involves has taking side and we realize it becomes more personal. Shinsegae and Lotte is not about bussiness, it’s about life”

            Seokjin smiles bitterly to Junmyeon, there is no need to deny or admit. Them both know the truth. No need to challenge each other of the fact they have familiarized with. They aren’t born to one side, they are being swept of fate who lands them on this side. There is no way to end this mess, they just need to move forward. Their silence is disrupt by a call that Junmyeon receives. His eyebrows furrow after hearing what the other side says. He ends his phone and clenches his fist. He needs to win the case, no matter what he will win the case.

JUNSOO AND JUNWOO

 

            “Junsoo, how could you do that ?” Junwoo drops any formality, he doesn’t care that he just steps to CEO’s room without permission. The said CEO doesn’t bulge from his position behind the glass window of his office.

            “Junsoo, do you understand how serious it is ?” Junwoo lets out frustated sigh. He doesn’t count this problem comes to the surface. He thought what happened 9 years ago wouldn’t be brought.

            “I give permission to Mark to let the information out to Myungsoo. I have considered several times before I took the decision. Myungsoo took it better than credit I gave him for” Junsoo says without looking to his frustated friend.  

            “What did you gain from this, Junsoo ? “ Junwoo shakes his head in defeated when he gets nothing out of Junsoo. He just hopes Myungsoo and Soeun will be fine. The secret they burried for so long finally showed herself out. He may can’t stop inevitable, but damn he won’t let it without trying to prevent it.

            “Junsoo, I let Hyuna back because Sehuna has been made aware of her. Sehuna and Howon trust each other with their secret and their past, that much I gather from Howon. However, Soeun and Myungsoo... It’s not the case” Junwoo leaves the room without looking back to his friend. If only he is looking back, he will see the defeat in his best friend eyes.

HOWON

 

“Do you want me to accompany you ?” Howon asks Myungsoo after he gives him the address that Myungsoo asks for.

            “Thank you for the offer. I guess I am going there by myself” He smiles sincerely before taking his leave. Howon waits till Myungsoo exits his office then making a call to Mark. Letting him to change his agenda for this afternoon and instructs him to let Jaejoong knows he is leaving. He doesn’t know when Myungsoo wants to visit, but he hopes he can prepare her enough. He packs his belongings, messages Sehuna to let her know he will be late for the fitting, asking her to back up his where about. Sehuna gives him okay sign, she probably has anything under control. He makes one call to Jonghyun asking him to meet him at his apartment after his shift ended.

            Mark meets him outside the building, informs him that Jaejoong has already received his message. He smiles slightly when he says that the office receive calling from Choi Siwon asking personally for Lee Howon to disscuss their join bussiness today because his presence is needed outside the country two days from now. Well, he doesn’t know about Siwon’s schedule, but yes they already set up time to disscuss the bussiness this Friday. Mark has given the document to Jaejoong as Sehuna-shi asks him to do. How she convinced her brother to do her demand it’s not in his mind. He feels his phone vibrate, Sehuna is calling on the screen.

            “Hello” He says in form of greeting.

            “Hello to you too. Don’t worry for the fitting, I told our mothers that I feel like I will be fainted, they changed the schedule to tomorrow. Will it do ?” Howon smiles, this girl really has everything under control.

            “Thank you. It’s really thoughtful of you” She laughs from the other line.

            They are talking for a bit till Howon arrives on parking lot. He promises he will buy her bubble tea later. They bid their goodbye when he hears her mother’s voice and how Sehuna makes her voice sounds as tired as possible. This girl is really something....

 

SUNGYEOL  

 

            I and Kris are on our way to lunch when mother calls me to send a soup she has ordered from her favourite restaurant to Choi’s mansion. She says Sehuna feels under the weather and the soup will be good for her. That’s why we are in front of the said mansion gate waiting for approval to be let in. We don’t have to wait for long after telling my name and my purpose the gate is opened.

            Mrs. Choi is waiting for them at the front door. She smiles kindly to both of them. She shakes her head in amusement, telling Sungyeol that his mother is exagerating Sehuna’s condition, she is tired that’s all nothing to be worried about. She tells them to wait at the living room while she checks on Sehuna.

            “Sungyeol” I immeddiately bows when I see Dara-noona, Krystal with Leo on her arms behind her. Kris follows my example, I dread it.... How stupid I can be, why I don’t say that I have sudden meeting or something to my mother.

            “Uncle Kris” I watch smile blooms on Kris’ face, I almost forget how close he is to Leo. Krystal drops Leo down on the floor and lets the boy to run to Kris who already crouches down to embrace Leo.

            “I miss you, Uncle”

            “Miss you too, little lion”

            “What are you doing here, Sungyeol ?” Dara-noona’s question brings me back from my reverie. I tell him that mother sends to deliver a soup for Sehuna. We are conversing till we see Sehuna and her mother come to the living room. Leo becomes shy when he sees Sehuna, he hids slightly beside Kris, takes a peak once in awhile. They laugh at his action, they are invited to have luncheon with the Choi. Leo who sits on his mother’s laps glances at Sehuna several times, but always looks away when Sehuna turns her head to his direction. They are chatting about random things until Krystal brings out the subject of performers who will perform at their wedding reception. Sungyeol grimaces, he looks to Kris who still smiling to Leo when the boy talks animatedly to him ignoring others. He needs a drink and all he has is juice, better than nothing. However, Sehuna’s answer to that question is something he doesn’t expect.

            “How about Wanna One ?” Sehuna says lightly. I cough, Dara looks unimpressed while Krystal just laughs. Sehuna raises her eyebrows to Dara, the older woman only sighs. There is no way they will have Wanna One in the reception, she is kidding, right ?. However, Dara dreads it when the soon to be the wife of her brother in law looks at her impassively.

            “You are serious” Dara asks in disbelief. Sehuna smiles sweetly to her, innocent to be exact. Mrs. Choi shakes her head in amusement, she will let them have their fun for the wedding, she looks content.

            “You can’t do that Sehuna” Dara shakes her head in dissagreement. Sehuna turns her head towards me, she smiles really sweetly and I find myself dread it.

            “Would you mind to help me, Sungyeol-oppa ? Tell Howon-oppa that Sehuna really wants Wanna One at our wedding reception. She demands their presence” Dara-noona glares at me, but my attention is on Sehuna’s smile, I can say it won’t be good if I offend her and her choice of performers.

           

KRIS

 

            I try to maintain smile on my face, although I realize it falters slightly several times. I never believed love at first sight, but the irony of my believe is indeed I have fallen in love at first sight. The memory is still fresh, the woman I saw at the parking lot at Jaejoong-hyung’s welcome party, the one who put many in shame because of her beauty. At first, I thought it was just her visual that I liked, but then it becomes more. Sungyeol told me about this woman who had guts to confront the best friends of her fiance to defend the said fiance. Many spoke highly about her, her beauty, her manner and attitude, her smartness, her thoughtfulness and kindness, her dedication on her job, and even the one that makes me hurt so bad, her apparent devotion to Lee Howon.

            Sungyeol told me they met because of their parents arrangement. Is that all ? If it’s not Howon, if it’s someone else, will she do the same ? I am cognizant of how low I am hoping that their betrothal to fall through. I wish she saw me, I wish we had chance, I wish I was the one to be her husband.

            I watch her everytime I visit the hospital. It’s creepy, I won’t deny it, I become stalker of her. I know what she is usually having for lunch, what’s kind of drink she prefers, how many cream is being added to her coffee, or how she unconciously plays with her engagement ring. Like now she does it again, her left thumb caresses the ring while she speaks. It seems she wants to assure herself that it’s still there, the ring which symbolizes the future, her promise to be the other half of the man who slipped the ring to her ring finger.

            When she adrresses Sungyeol to ask him sends her message to Howon regarding her childish request of the performers on their wedding reception, I immediately focus my attention back to Leo. He is the only reason I can smile sincerely here, my public smile intakes everytime I engange in conversation. Leo spares me from the conversation most of the time, he demands my full attention and I am grateful for it.

            “Hei Kris” I look up when Dara-noona addresses me, I wait for what she is going to say. I don’t expect her to ask about my opinion regarding Sehuna’s supposed to wear dresses. Sehuna glares at her, but Dara-noona ignores it. She holds up several pictures and shoves it to me, asking which one will suit Sehuna. It’s Sungyeol who saves me from answering her question.

            “Noona, I guess we can say that Sehuna won’t have any problem with any dresses she decides to wear. Her visual is enough to save her from the worst wardrobe. Don’t you think ?” Sungyeol says lightly wiggling his eyebrows. Krystal nods her head in agreement. Sehuna makes long suffering sigh that make us turn our head towards her.

            “I really appreciate it, eonni. However, can we tone down the .....” She gestures to the dressses pictures.

            “I feel uncomfortable to think that I need to wear a dress that I consider revealing and to be honest, I do believe Howon-oppa will have hard time to say that he too feel uncomfortable. Right, eomma ?” She lightens her statement by asking her mother.

            “Howon may not say anything to other women, but somehow with Sehuna he is brutally honest of how he hates it when she wears anything he deems inappropriate. You can add blouse to the dresses or we can ask for full sleeves and makes it longer. I remember how Howon grimaced first time he saw Sehuna, but kept it on his own, well in the end I saw my daughter wrapped in suit jacket and coat” She laughs while Sehuna rolls her eyes.

            “Back to performer, I hope you will think about it carefully. Wanna One is..... “ Dara-noona cuts herself off when the butler rushes to them. He apologizes to interupt their conversation. The butler whispers to Mrs. Choi and Sehuna, they nod their heads. Mrs. Choi says something to the butler before he bows leaving them.

            “Nothing to worry. Lets just continue our luncheon” She says smiling to us. We nod our heads, Mrs. Choi enganges us about our daily life. Sehuna excuses herself first - giving Dara and Krystal for making time to visit - thanks us to bring soup for her and sends her gratefulness to Sungyeol’s mother thoughtfulness and kindness. Mrs. Choi sends us out, I hug Leo and promise him that I will take him to amusement park soon. We don’t drive to far before Sungyeol parks his car in front of a communal park.

            “Do you have any tight work deadline ?” I shake my head, I burry myself at work to forget many aspects in my life. My personal refuge, working harder puts me at ease. We enter the park and sits on the swings. There is noone here beside the two of us.

            “Sunyeol, I have realized that I won’t have her no matter I wish if for. I am grateful for your concern, I won’t say I am not hurting. However, it won’t break me apart. Maybe it’s a reminder for me, many women throw themselves on me, but the one I have a feeling for is destined for other man” What I like the most of Sungyeol is he doesn’t have that kind of pity, he feels empathy and it means a lot for someone like me who doesn’t need to be viewed as vulnerable.

            “I am sorry you need to be involved in this. You don’t need to take side because I have already raised white flag the day Sehuna collapsed, sometime gives up is the best choice we should take” Sungyeol nods his head in understanding.

            We spend approximeately 30 minutes there, conversing nothing in particular, avoiding any subjects regarding to Howon and Sehuna. Although, I am not the one she ends with, I wish for delightful life for them both. Love her means let her be with Howon.

SOEUN

           

            “What do you have in mind, Oppa ?” I can’t help but to feel worry, there is something off. Everytime he looks at me, I can see clearly guilt in his eyes.

            “I always make you worry. Am I ?” I reach for his hand across of our dinning table. He lets me hold his hand, he smiles little to me.

            “There is something you need to know” I let him to pull his hand away, I don’t ask why there is folder on the table. He gives the folder to me, I hesitantly take it. He looks at me again with the guilt apparent on his eyes, but I see other emotion fear... It is fear.

            “I am going to go to the library”

            He leaves me like he said, I watch him till he is out of my side. I listen to his steps and hear the door being opened and closed. I don’t know why but I feel afraid to open the folder. I shake my head, erasing any crazy thought. He wants me to read it and all I can do is to take a look. I take the first paper out, it is medical record... Myungsoo’s oppa medical record. Why and how he can get this... Medical record is secret file and to obtain information like this, he must did something. I read every page carefully till I find a record regarding a surgery procedure. Heart transplantation procedure... Patient Kim Myungsoo age 18 year old. Donor Choi Jonghoon age 20 year old.

            It can’t be......

            I feel all of my energy left my body. The folder drops to the floor along with the picture of Jonghoon. My husband.... he received.... Oh My God....

            Just you wait.... I am going to make you mine, Soeun-noona.

            Don’t joke around like that. It’s not funny.

            Who says I am kidding. I am 100% serious.

            Nahah.... You need to study hard first. I am not going to have a dummy as a husband.

            ----

            “Hello, Jonghoon. How are you ? You know how much we miss you. Your mother visited him, she said he is in recovery from the surgery. You save his life. Aren’t you proud of yourself ?”

            “Soeun” I felt someone hugged me from behind. Jungshin-oppa hold me the whole time of my breakdown. Letting me pour out my sadness. That day the sky was so blue, bright indeed like mocking me of how

SEHUNA

           

            “Where is Howon ?” Siwon-oppa asks us without any greeting. I roll my eyes, I have no idea what kind of truce they have. It seems Siwon-oppa likes Howon more and more this day. I won’t complain, but still I think they finally found their own standing.

            “He takes a bath” It’s my mother who answers him. He almost asks another question when Bora-noona comes to the livingroom. Siwon-oppa lets her helping him shed his suit and tie. Smile apologetically toward us before leads Siwon-oppa to change. Nah.... Married couple and their antics. I focus my attention to a set of hanbok I am going to wear for our traditional wedding ceremony. Thinking about taking vows twice as Howon’s grandparents want seem easy, but the preparation is pain in the . Hanbok, wedding dress, reception gown, dinner gown, and so on.

      Howon joins us not long after, fresh from shower and seems relax. Father finally leaves his his home office  decides to engage Howon in conversation about art which Howon admits he doesn't know quite well about. He excuses himself when he receives call.  He pales after hearing what the other line said, I immediately come to his side, he looks at me with unreadable emotion. Father without Howon asking for tell him to go to wherever he is needed, he tells me to tag along. Howon has called Myungsoo for since he gets the information of Myungsoo who obtains his medical record.

            I demand to drive because I know he would have his mind on other things. He smilesto me gratefully, I smile back. I drive in maximum speed, only making sure that I don’t broke any traffic regulations. It’s good thing I know where the house and the fastest route to go there. However, we aren’t fast enough, judging from Howon’s expression.

“I am late” Howon says barely whisper.