No Charge

Mugunghwa Promise

 

So Eun was drying his hair while Myungsoo kept reading his book. Myungsoo smiled when So Eun sat beside him and tried to look what he was reading.

“You should sleep it is already night” He said.

“Hm…. I just took a bath. Tomorrow I have no schedule so I have long time to nap” She replied. She grabbed the book that Myungsoo’s holding. Myungsoo sighed and closed the book.

 “I’m sleepy” She yawned. Myungsoo shook his head.

“Dried your hair first before sleep” So Eun didn’t listen to him. So Eun moved closer and leaned on his shoulder.

 “You know I don’t really get it since when you so playful” He pulled her closer and sat her on his lap.

He inhaled her smell. He likes flower scent of her hair. He dried her hair, made sure she wouldn’t catch fever.

They were on that position for a while. Myungsoo kissed her head, she smiled and leaned closer, rested her head on his bare chest.

“I wonder who is younger you or me” He asked to himself. She just mumbled incoherent. He saw her beautiful face. He likes her nose, her lips. He never saw her close. He never admitted someone could make his heart beating so fast. Not after what happened 7 years ago.

Do I love you?

He looked closer, he caress her cheek. Touch her nose. He took deep breath.

I like you, but do I love you. He was on deep thought. So Eun stirred, but Myungsoo seems didn’t realized. So Eun looked up. She caress her cheek and made him looked down. She leaned closer and kissed his lips. Myungsoo blinked, tried to register what just happened. It’s so sudden.

“What are you thinking about, oppa?” She smiled like nothing happened. Myungsoo shook his head and whispered “nothing”.

“I love you” She said straightforward.

Myungsoo didn’t know what he should say. He looked everywhere, avoid her gaze.

“Look at me” She said firmly. Myungsoo had no choice, and do what she said.

“Listen to me carefully” She commanded. Myungsoo nodded after took deep breath. He didn’t want to hear about her feeling because he was not sure about his feeling and he didn’t want she get hurt.

“ One evening a little boy came up to his mother in the kitchen while she was fixing supper, and handed her a piece of paper that he had been writing on. After his Mom dried her hands on an apron, she read it, and this is what it said:

For cutting the grass: $5.00
For cleaning up my room this week: $1.00
For going to the store for you: $.50
Baby-sitting my kid brother while you went shopping: $.25
Taking out the garbage: $1.00
For getting a good report card: $5.00
For cleaning up and raking the yard: $2.00
Total owed: $14.75”

 

She stopped and looked to Myungsoo. She wanted to know his reaction. Yes, she got what she wants. He looked so curious.

 

“What’s going on next?” He said impatiently.

“I’m sleepy. Can we continue it tomorrow?” Myungsoo was about to protest, but after saw her sleepy eyes, he nodded.

“Well, we can continue it tomorrow” She didn’t move an inch.

“I have no energy to walk” She wined. He shook his head nth time before pulled her on bridal style. He turned the bed side lamp off. When he was ready to sleep, she closed the distance and nuzzled to his crook of neck. He didn’t mind it and let her. So Eun always comfort him every time he needed. He was not touchy person, but when it came to night he felt need to have something to kept him sane from the nightmares which haunting him whenever he sleep. Her breath was slow and steady. He felt comfortable and calm, after a while he droves to deep slumber.

 

So Eun used to wake up early. She smiled when saw Myungsoo in his deep slumber. She tried hard to not wake him up and climbed down the bed slowly. She grabbed pen and paper from drawer. She wrote the rest of the story.


His mother looked at him standing there, and the boy could see the memories flashing through her mind. She picked up the pen, turned over the paper he'd written on, and this what she wrote:


For the nine months I carried you while you were growing inside me:
No Charge

For all the nights that I've sat up with you, doctored and prayed for you:
No Charge

For all the trying times, and all the tears that you've caused through the years:
No Charge

For all the nights that were filled with dread, and for the worries I knew were ahead:
No Charge

For the toys, food, clothes, and even wiping your nose:
No Charge

Son, when you add it up, the cost of my love is:
No Charge.

When the boy finished reading what his mother had written, there were big tears in his eyes, and he looked straight at his mother and said, "Mom, I sure do love you." And then he took the pen and in great big letters he wrote: "PAID IN FULL"
.
 

So Eun put the paper and pen beside bed side lamp, she made her way to the bathroom. Something she didn't know, Myungsoo was already wake. He immidiately grab the paper and read carefully. 

No charge ..... No charge ... 

He put the paper on the previous place when he heard click from the bathroom door. He pretended to sleep.

"Morning, God. Thanks for every thing, thanks for my life. Thanks I'm still live" Silence.

"God, I know your love is no charge.You love me and every creatures you created. God, you give me love in all of my breath. Please, let me loves him. Please, makes him smile and happy" She smiled widely. She leaned closer to him and kissed his forehead.

"I owe you" She said. 

She owes me? Myungsoo still pretended to sleep. He wished he could get the answer and God answered his pray.

"I was created from you backbone. I'm yours from the start. I owe you for my life. I love you" She whispered, but enough for Myungsoo to hear it. So Eun opened and closed the bedroom door slowly.

Myungsoo sat up. He ran his hand on his hair.

No charge.... I owe you....I love you....

Am I worthy enough to deserve you on my life?

Love without charge... No charge......