Bitter

Mugunghwa Promise

Junmyeon raises his eyebrows when his secretary informs him that there are guests request to meet him. He tells his secretary to bring the guests to the meeting room, he doesn’t think he has appoinment with anyone today, but little distraction will be good thing for him. Anything to keep him far from the case he is handling is worthy to his time. Junmyeon nods slightly to his colleagues he meets on the corridor and proccesses to the meeting room on the other side of the building. He knocks the door and surprises to hear his father’s voice from inside signal him to go inside. He bows to them before he straightens himself to see the guests. He can make out one of the man, they ever met several times before, Lee Howon’s father. The other man is distinguish familiar, his features remind him of someone, but he can’t put it who is he.

“Yongkwang, your son has already grown up” The man states chuckling.

“He was teenager when you saw decade ago, Junsoo” That’s the clue, Junsoo, he has heard the name in many occations, but he doesn’t have any glimpse of the man who own the name before. He doesn’t refer himself as someone who will go through bussiness magazine to check on him either. Kim Junsoo, he is CEO of Lotte. More than that, he is Kim Myungsoo’s father.

Junmyeon takes unoccupiead seat beside his father. He smiles politely to the two older man. He doesn’t need his father to provide him with the information of their intention to come to their law firm. He takes the document his father gives to him and looks inside the typed written infromation carefully. It doesn’t content many things, but it’s enough to give him the light of situation they are currently in. He glances slightly to the two bussinessman before him. He is weighten the respond he shall comes up with the new information injects to his brain.

“What is your thought about this?” Junsoo asks in amusement.

“What you want us to do with Jang Hyunseung?” Junmyeon asks calmly.

“Anything you deem appropriate will do” Junsoo answers with smile. Junmyeon looks to the evidence on his hand. Weighing the scenario he will use to face the problem. He looks to his father, they exchange glance when his father nods his head. Junmyeon has gotten the all message it’s up to him how to approach it. He excuses himself and plan the move he will take to solve the duty that is being shoved to him.

---

Jaejoong and Sunggyu’s father sit in front of each other on the balcony. It is leisure time for them to get chance enjoying their free Sunday. Sunggyu doesn’t join with them because he accompanies his mother to do errands. The man had scowl imprint on his face when his mother dragged him from his bed and shoved him ungracefully to the bathroom. Jaejoong laughed his off, he waved happily to the two before followed Sunggyu’s father to the balcony for tea. Jaejoong waits for the older man to start their conversation.

“I have called Seokjin. He will come here less than 30 minutes” It is cue for straightforward talk. Jaejoong nods his head and puts his cup down.

“Even it’s too late, I have always want to ask you this?” He says with unreadable expression on his face.

“What do you want to ask me about, abeoji?” Jaejoong finally knows why they are being left by Sunggyu and his mother. The older man smiles slightly before looks up to the blue sky.

“Do you hate Junhyung that much?” Jaejoong widens his eyes, it doesn’t cross his mind before.

  “Who do you intent to drag to this chaos?” He asks with his eyes close.

“What is your intention?” Another question leaves his mouth.

“What will we gain and what we need to sacrifice?” All the question pours freely with the calm voice he is used. Jaejoong can’t see the hidden emotion of the brown eyes before him. The silence is really thick, the smile he offers to him makes his feeling churn. He keeps his emotion behind his facade as well, he smiles back to him.

“Red stained the amour propre” Jaejoong states holding his gaze without waver. They are staring to each other eyes, trying to read emotion that keep hidden perfectly. They avert their gaze when they hear the door is being knock – the buttler – Sunggyu’s father nods his head in acknowledgement to him, he informs them that Seokjin is already waiting at the living room. The Head Family tells him to bring Seokjin to the balcony. The man bows and excuses himself to do as his Master commands him to. 

“You can measure the sea, but you can’t measure the heart” Sunggyu’s father says and leaves his seat, calling the maid to the clean the table and bringing the new set of tea.

Seokjin bows to Jaejoong before takes the seat before him. Jaejoong feels amuse to his action. The younger man is still awkward around him. He thinks it’s quite weird when they will encounter almost in daily basis, not to mention he lives under the Kim’s roof with the Head Family is Seokjin’s employer. His posture is straight and tense under Jaejoong’s gaze. He thanks the maid for the tea serves in front of him. Jaejoong won’t lie that he likes to intimidate other persons. He will say he finds it quite amusing to see the other squirms, not that Seokjin does such thing.

“Uncle has told you, right?” It is statement rather than question.

“Yes, Jaejoong-nim” Seokjin answers in short. Jaejoong nods his head, brings his tea to his lips. Seokjin follows suit, he flinches slightly, but recovers fast.

“Usually black tea isn’t taste this sour, but it depends on the tea maker. When you put the bag of tea at wrong time with hotter water than it should be, it won’t bring the best taste out” Jaejoong says smiling, Seokjin watches him carefully when the older man is smelling the tea.

“It doesn’t smell good. Well, amateur isn’t sommelier after all”

“Hah... At least every pawn has their own used” Jaejoong sighs and puts down the cup on the saucer. He stands from the chair and motions to Seokjin to follow him before he turns around to the maids and tells them to make better tea next time. Seokjin is quite taken back when Jaejoong thanks them sincerely for their effort and good service.

 “You have worked at Lotte since you were graduated from university, right” Jaejoong turns his head slightly before looks back to the front. Seokjin says yes to the question. There is silence between them. Seokjin’s eyes is trained on Jaejoong. He doesn’t know where the conversation will be going. He needs to know where he stands and what actually Jaejoong wants from him. Kim Jaejoong is the CEO Kim Junsoo’s son, soon to be the President (COO) Kim Junwoo’s son in law, and Deputy President Lee’s most favorable person.

Seokjin confirms his last theory when Jaejoong pushes the oak door before them, it’s Jaejoong’s personal music studio. Sunggyu’s father discovered his interest on music when he was at junior high school and decided to make the music studio for him. He didn’t use it regularly even when he was still at Korea. Sunggyu has his own in the south wing beside his mother’s art studio. West wing has exclusively became Jaejoong’s territory since he was child. His old room also in this part of building, he would come here if he didn’t want someone disturbed him.

“Do you know that Shinsegae and Lotte never in good term?” Jaejoong asks easily and takes seat before the piano, Seokjin sees the only unoccupied seat is before the other piano. Jaejoong smiles to him and uses his chin signaling him to take the seat. Seokjin doesn’t answer to the question, he doesn’t want to be trapped on this man hand. He never conversed with him outside of work, Jaejoong is hard to read and he feels cautious around him.

“Whose your loyalty lie on?” Seokjin looks straight to Jaejoong’s eyes. Jaejoong doesn’t even hid his smirk, he must say this Seokjin is different with the one who serves as Sunggyu’s father personal assistant. Jaejoong touches the key slightly and pushes it down, he holds Seokjin’s gaze. Jaejoong smiles when Seokjin plays the last piece of Jay Chou’s Chrysanthemum Flower Bed. He ever listened the younger man played the piano version once.

“For whom I need to lose anything and what will leave for me in the end?” Seokjin asks to no one in particular, the question is not for Jaejoong to hear. The question is for himself, he has watched from far and never

“Hen hao” Jaejoong praises and claps his hands.

“We have reached the agreement then” As in cue there is knock on the door. Jaejoong lets the maid come inside and asks her to usher Seokjin to the living room. The maid bows slightly to Seokjin and asks him to follows her.

“Wo shi dong” Seokjin says short, eyes on Jaejoong. He stands from his seat and leaves Jaejoong alone at the studio room. He makes his way back to the living room, along the way there he has made up his mind. He is aware where the conversation is going without they even started it. He bows when Sunggyu’s father approaches him. He motions to the maid to leave them. The said buttler excuses himself.

“Bu-sajangnim” He bows to his employer.

“I have realized about Jaejoong’s intention when he asked you to come here. It’s not your battle field, Jin. Please, I do not wish to drag anyone else into it unnecessarily. I have let Sunggyu and Jaejoong, I can’t let you get involve” He lets his guard down in front of Seokjin so he can see his frustation, tiredness, hope, and other emotions he lays bare. I have no enough power to keep everyone safe from the madness. Seokjin remembers the words perfectly, he

Seokjin appears conflicted, he understands his duty, he remembers his place – he has known this man longer than everyone thought -  he takes deep breath before sighs in resignation, he lays his emotion bare so the older man can see this through his eyes. He bows deeply to him and gives his most confidence smile to him.

“May the pillars standing still and emerge in the thriump” Sunggyu’s father squeezes his shoulder and flashes thank you smile to him.

“I have arranged the meeting with the supervisor board directors as you wish, bu-sajangnim” Seokjin changes the topic immediately. Sunggyu’s father can’t help not to smile wider.

-----

“Junwoo, bet on this. He won’t let Seokjin becomes part of this chaos” The CEO states suddenly breaking the silence that is enveloping them. The said man hums slightly before puts down the magazine he is currently reading. He sips his white tea calmly, enjoys the bitter taste its give to his tastebud. Savor its flavor to his heart content.

“He will do his best to involving as fewer as possible” He srughs his shoulder, comments lightly. The CEO nods in acknowledgement, he has the same thought. Afterall, they have known each other long enough to understand their comrades characters.

“How is the engagement?” Junsoo changes the subject, this topic makes the the COO frowns, he puts his cup on the saucer back before he looks to his friend. Junsoo raises his eyebrows, waiting patiently for the answer of his question. They are agree to avoid this topic, push it outside their lists to handle.

“I give them chance to change their mind” Junwoo says. Junsoo is surprised by the statement, he never heard this before. He looks to his wristwatch, it’s a sign that he won’t force him to converse should he doesn’t want to talk to him about it.

“Don’t you remember it should be Junki who marries with the Choi’s daughter. Junki is supposed to marry Jiwon. Despite we could cover Junki’s drug scandal before it blown up, the news had reached their ears. Shinsegae and Lotte pushed the joint project behind to unknown time. We decided called off the engagement plan” Junwoo pours out the information Junsoo has known, they never talked about it. They separate their family, friendship, and bussiness. They can work in sync and perfectly capable to handle by their own. Although, sometime when the situation becomes too complicated and drags the separate world, entangled with each other they have no choice other than brings full force to solve it.

“The idea to reunite the bond that has been severed between two families was resurfaced when Jaejoong came back from London. The long forgotten join project being the main topic at executive boards meeting. Putting Howon as the head project was not coincidence and not solely for business. He built Howon’s image in front of Choi Seungwon. Jaejoong knows how to use his card, the perfect gentleman for the youngest princess. Howon will take my position someday with his own strength and inherits the biggest proportion of Lee’s wealth as he will take offer his grandfather inheritance when he marries to Choi Sehuna” Junsoo nods his head, induce the information perfectly on his mind. He has known it before and has no intention to prevent his son. Jaejoong is his son, he is splitting image of Nam Myungyeon with little touch of Kim Junsoo for appearance. However, he takes most of his personality and characters from Junsu side. He was created with love and raised surround by love. He is aware that human needs love and as rational as human can be, human can be blinded by feeling. Junsoo takes deep breath before his gazes straight to Junwoo’s eyes.

“He won’t be capable to love Jieun”

“He is capable to destroy the world for someone he really cares” Junwoo says calmly. They leave the conversation there, no more discussion. They need to wait for the turn of event that they are going to face soon.

------------

Myungsoo brings the coffee to his mouth, he flinches slightly after the bitter taste touches his tastebuds. He won’t take coffee for several days when he goes back to Korea. Now, he can’t help it, but to have it to keep him wake. He has induced his body with cups of bitter coffee for this two days. They barely have time to rest, it’s his first experience to do general check on outside country branch. He thanks God that he doesn’t collapse yet. No one asks him to come with Howon, he scoffs to himself. He needs to listen to Dongwoo that this job will require many energy. He is wondering how could Howon manages this job from the first time he starts his carreer. He is aware, he can’t be compared to Howon when it comes to demanding work. Howon has high endurance of pressure, he is really persistent as well. He brings his hand to his mouth, he can’t control his yawns. He blinks his eyes when someone takes the coffee from his hand. He looks up to meet Howon’s piercing gaze.

“Back to the hotel with Jason and Mark. It’s already half past midnight” He says full of authority. He is about to protest when Howon shuts him completely.

“Your wife sent medicine from Seoul to Moscow will be waste if you are reckless with your own health” Howon says calmly. Myungsoo gives up and holds his hands up as resignation. No use to insist, he will take it for his own advantageous. He stands from the chair and strecthes his arms.

“Might I bring it to pantry as well” He takes the coffee from Howon’s hand back while reaching for his coat and suitcase with his free hand. He brushes Howon’s shoulder and gives him cheeky smile. Howon raises his eyebrows, not knowing what is crossing on Myungsoo’s mind.

“As doctor’s fiance, you may know as well what sleep deprivation and lack of rest will bring us to. Give yourself slack, hyung” Myungsoo smiles sweetly before saunters off the room. Jason and Mark have already stood outside the room, wait patiently for them.

“Where is Howon-nim?” Jason asks. He is eyeing inside before Myungsoo shoves the cup of coffee to him. Jason nods his head knowing what Myungsoo asks him to do and walks to the pantry fast, leaving the two.

“He is not going to join us?” Mark asks or rather states for them.

Myungsoo nods his head in confirmation, he prevents Mark to go inside again. He shakes his head and motions the two of them to follow him. He glares slightly to Mark, makes his point cross perfectly. Mark reluctantly follows Myungsoo’s steps, as Howon’s personal assistant his job is assist him on his works.

“Mark, let him decide when is time to call it a day. He tells us to leave, so gives it to him” Myungsoo says while walking further. Mark nods his head and doesn’t argue to that. Jason has already been waiting for them in front of the elevator.

“Hei, when did Choi Sehuna send the aircraft miniature to Howon?” Myungsoo asks after they hop into the car. Mark takes the driver seat, Jason besides him, and Myungsoo has the backseat all for himself.

“Almost two months ago, Sir” Mark answers while his eyes on the road, he has Russia’s driver license since he feels it will be needed because how frequent he travels to the branch. He spent a year in Moscow’s branch to help out under the guidance of Myungsoo’s father who travel a lot to the branch in the early year of it was established. He almost blew up his cover when he spoke in Russian without he realizes after being Howon’s personal assistant, good luck for him he managed to find reason in narrow time. He let several secret comes out, he told him he used to be exchange student at Moscow and got his driver license at same year. He was sugar coating the lies with the truth. Howon bought his reasons didn’t feel the need to ask further.

Myungsoo hums as acknowledgement. He sees his wristwatch, it shows 1 A.M. Good thing there hotel is close from the branch. He wants to bury under comforter and sleeps his tiredness away. He has many works in hand the morning, he sends message to Soeun tells her that the medicine she sent had been arrived at the hotel he is staying. He despises the medicine and almost let it being left on the front desk if he doesn’t remember she is going to freak out after finds out he doesn’t take the medicine.  He forgets to give her notice because he gets ring from the main quarter to check on their auditing progress.

-------

            Soeun is reading novel with blanket over her body when her mother shouts from the first floor. She immediately closes the novel and puts it on the bed. She won’t take much time for anything her mother wants to do so it won’t be trouble to just leave the bed unmade. She runs outside and takes two stairs on every step she makes.

            “Lady, you are not child anymore. I can’t believe your husband never scolded you” Her mother chides her for her unlady like from the kitchen. Soeun smiles sheepishly to that comment. She won’t have the gut to do that at their home. She never did that at least when her husband was around. She walks to the kitchen and sees her mother bends down taking cake from the oven. Strawberry shortcake she can bet on it. Her mother has a thing with this fruit, she doesn’t have reason to againts though.

            “Help me to make a froze” She orders her, Soeun nods her head and takes an apron hanging behind the door. Her mother has placed the ingredients on the counter so she just need to mix it on the bowl using mixer. Her mother smiles softly to her, it feels familiar and heart warming to see her daughter helps her at kitchen again. She misses the days when she had her daughter all for herself to spoil to her heart content.

            “I have checked on the grocheries I asked you to bought. I couldn’t find cabbage powder, pepper, and extra hot chilli sauce on it. You know we need this ingredients for the luncheon we will make, right?” His mother asks while preparing the pan to boil the water they use for soup.

            “He doesn’t like something spicy” She says with hand bussy mixing white egg, butter, and sugar. Her mother frowns slightly before her mind caughts the line. Soeun looks up from her work when she hears chuckle left his mother’s mouth.

            “What?” She raises her eyebrows.

            “Nothing. When is your husband going back to Seoul?” She asks back without answering her daughter’s question. Soeun doesn’t answer, but sighs instead. She pouts her lips, not wanting to count on the days she dreads on her “fasting on her husband’s presence” courtesy to Nam Baekhyun.

            “It’s okay, he will be back to Seoul without you realize it. You have us here” Her mother ruffles her hair, messes it up purposely. She whines and bats her hand, her mother laughs freely, shaking her head and attempts to mess her hair more. They stop hearing Soeun’s father fake coughs. He holds his phone out to his daughter. She raises her eyebrows don’t get his father message.

            “Your husband call me because.....” She grabs the phone and leaves the kitchen.

            “You were not answering your phone” He finishes and shakes his head at her action.

            “You are not his favorite man anymore” She comments nonchatantly. Her husband gives her hurt look, but she ignores it.

            “That’s the truth, just accept it already”

            “You are not helping at all” Her husband grumbles. They both laugh, it’s silly thing to debate over this case. They can hear her laugh from the living room, she is happy and they can feel it from the genuine sound of it.

            “I won’t mind to be the second or the third man she is favored as long as she is happy” He says with sincere smile on his face. Her wive smiles softly to that, her happiness is all they hope for.

---

Kyuhyun places cup of coffee in front of Sehuna. The girl looks up, jerks from her seat, she is too drown with deep thought. She smiles to Kyuhyun and lets her sunbae to take vacant seat before her. He holds other cup on his hand and motions for Sehuna to drink the coffee he puts on the table before. She almost shoves the coffee back to him.

“Double shot espresso” He has already known her preference lately. She can’t use her usual reason as not liking sugar in her coffee.

“Thank you, sunbae” She smiles gratefully, but doesn’t move her hand. Kyuhyun sighs knowingly, it’s not easy for her to accept the death of the patient. First time, she met the said older lady they instantly became friends. She would check on her every time she had time. Sehuna wasn’t chatty person, but she made it up with her patience and sincere reply when it needed.

“Your shift has already ended. Why don’t you go home?”

“I have appointment here” She answers slowly, takes little sip of the coffee Kyuhyun brings for her. She looks at her wristwatch and notes that she needs to wait for 20 minutes before her driver comes to pick her up.

“You need to take rest, doctor Choi” Kyuhyun says seriously after minutes of silence between them. It is not Kyuhyun who the only one worrying her health. She pushes herself too hard. Although, work hard is good thing, but as doctor they can’t put aside their own health because their patients need them in their best condition either physic or mind. Senior internists at her department have forced her to rest, but she is stubborn and does anything that she can do. She becomes workaholic and he believes someone needs to put an end on this. They just wait her to collapse should her acts this way.

“Are you okay?” Kyuhyun asks her. Sehuna meets his gaze, restrain smile appear on her face. Really small, barely make line on her beautiful feature.

“Hn” She doesn’t give an answer neither yes nor no. She traces her fingers on the cup of coffee, feels the surface without any intention to taste a sip. He is aware she is not typical of person like to share her thought. Even so, she is not this cold before. She is rarely smile, but this day her smile doesn’t reach her eyes. He shakes his head and sighs, he cares about her. Kris has been really worried when he saw her, the last he visited Kyuhyun. Lee Sungyeol gave them little information about the Sehuna and Howon’s situation. He didn’t tell them the problem, only said the two needed time to solve their problem.

“How is your fiancé?” He is tasting the water by asking this question to her.

“I believe he is doing fine” She smiles sincerely and her eyes twinkles, it is the most honest smile she offers this day. He smiles back to her till she raises eyebrows to him. He realizes that she doesn’t mean to smile, but the smile blooms on her lips unknowingly by her. She is back to her stoic self, but that doesn’t mean her cold demeanour can erase the fact of happiness she feels mere to the mention of her fiancé. Kyuhyun sees her avert gaze to the door, there is Kim Soeun walks to their desk. She bows to him and Kyuhyun excuses himself. Soeun sits on the chair occupied by Kyuhyun before. She can smell the bitter coffee, the smell is quite strong. No doubt two amount of single espresso blend in a cup will provide strong scent that kick in her nose.

Soeun can’t help, but smile worriedly to the woman before her. She is breathtaking beautiful, she will always be. However, today the Choi Sehuna she sees is quite different at least from the last time they met. Something has been happened, something that change her demeanor. She is colder than usually. Her smile is restrain and seems calculating, she finds it chilling. She personally comes to the hospital to visit her, Myungsoo asked her to check on her. She doesn’t need him to provide the reason, it won’t be far from Lee Howon. She can’t help not to flinch when Sehuna sips her double shot espresso. She has known how bitter the taste, but Sehuna keeps her face passive. The younger woman even closes her eyes inhales the smell of the coffee.

            “Did Myungsoo-shi send you here?” Sehuna says without any hesitation on her question, Soeun believe is more as statement than question. Under different circumstance and with other person she will feel offend by her choice of words, she can’t complain it’s Sehuna who she is talking with. Her expression is too neutral too Soeun liking. She has aloof personality and her pride won’t let her to break down in front of everyone, Soeun knows that much. Today, she can’t help not to sigh. Dark and untouchable are two words to describe her. She will to find good route to approach her.

            “He asked me to pay visit on you” Soeun says carefully.

            “Hn” Sehuna hums in acknowledgement. She sips her coffee once again, savor it like before. She shoves the cup to the side and holds Soeun’s gaze. Soeun raises her eyebrows and the girl before her chuckles.

“I will enlighten something up for you, golden triangle of Korea’s retail bussiness. There are consist of Lotte, Shinsegae, and Hyundai. Even so, Lotte has the weakest position among the three if they are involved in real battle as Chaebol. Hyundai Department Store is under Hyundai Group and Shinsegae is under Samsung to say blatantly” Sehuna allows a strain curve on before standing calmly. She walks several steps before turns her head and waves to her with her left hand where the engagement ring snuggles comfortably on her ring finger. Soeun sees the girl walk outside the cafeteria. She held her head high and keeps her bored expression along the way.

            Soeun widen her eyes when her body collapses. Nurse and doctor who see that rushes to her. Kyuhyun checks her pulse, he gives the instruction to bring her to ICU. He dissmisses the crowd, commands them be back on their current works. Soeun takes her phone and dials her husband number. She doesn’t realizes she is holding her breath.

---------

Sehuna’s mother caller I.D displays on his phone screen. Howon excuses himself from the meeting. He nods his head to the employees he meets in the hall. He walks to their assign office room. He immediately answers the call after he gets in.

“Hello, ahjumma” He greets her.

“Howon, Sehuna fainted. She always say that she was fine, she just need sleep was an excuse she used. Siwon and Jiwon had tried talk to her, but she wouldn’t give any answer and asked for time alone” She says in rush.

"She.... Please, Howon" She says desperately. He takes deep breath before calms her over the phone.

Howon looks to his phone, he processes the information to his brain. He turns his head when the door is being opened.

"I ask for 10 minutes break" Myungsoo says as explanation why he comes to check on him. Howon hums little before looks to Myungsoo who holds his suitcase up to him. 

"Soeun was there when Sehuna fainted" Myungsoo adds, Howon doesn't ask about it. 

“You need to go back to Seoul. We can take offer from now on” Myungsoo says and shoves Howon his suitcase. Howon takes the suitcase and rummages through the documents inside. He takes his wallet and passport. He gives it back to Myungsoo.

“Mark has known what to do. All of the files you need is inside my suitcase. Call me if you find some difficulties” Howon says to him. Myungsoo nods his head and squeezes his shoulder, reassurance for his hyung that they can manage the job he is going to leave to them.

“I give the responsibility to you” Howon smiles to him.

“Trust me, hyung” Myungsoo touches his own chest. Howon smiles become wider, he nods his head and walks outside the door. His wife has already called him after he got the news about Sehuna’s condition.  Myungsoo sends message to Jaejoong after, informs him that Howon is already on his way back to Seoul and asks him for assistance. Jaejoong promises to send Sunggyu to Moscow and does him favour to come to the hospital calming his sister in law while Myungsoo can’t be there. He just needs three rings before Soeun picks his call. He can hear her frantic breath, she seems still freaking out over the current event. He feels guilty to end the phone before, he needs to calm her first. He has no chance to talk when she is caught him off guard with her request.

“Breathe. I just need to hear you breathe” Myungsoo does as her wants, breathe calmly and he can say her erratic breathe becomes as calm as he does.