Protect

Mugunghwa Promise

Myungsoo shakes his head in amusement. Well, it’s not their fault to stare at them or to Howon and the Jimin boy. They get bonus to bring to Lotte. Jimin says he wants to see Lotte main office. He doesn’t listen to his mother or father and so adamant to go with Howon. He still can’t get it out of his mind when Siwon coaxes his son not to go with them, but Jimin shakes his head and sends his father his pleading eyes. Bora shakes her head in defeat and lets his son to ‘visit’ Lotte main office, not before long speech and warns to the said little boy. When he was little and maybe at his teenage life, he would hate this kind of scene, but today to watch child with his parents interact that way makes him feels happy. Siwon seems still reluctant to let him, he carries Jimin to Howon’s car. Bora kisses Jimin’s forehead and Siwon hugs him long enough to make him whines, but he offers big smile to his father afterward. Siwon gives him amount of money that he believes the little boy doesn’t know what to spend for which Bora takes more than half.

            “He still has snack on his backpack and I make sure gives him more than enough than what allowed for child on his age” She deadpanned.

            “Haraebeoji” Myungsoo snaps from his thought when he hears the shout. He sees Howon’s father and Sunggyu’s father. They avert their gaze to the source of voice and see them, the two follow Jimin who rushes to Howon’s father, he ruffles the boy’s black lock when he stands in front of him.

            “Wowh… what is little Choi Siwon doing here?” He asks teasingly, while Sunggyu’s father smiles to Jimin.

            “Hufffttt… I’m Choi Jimin, not little Choi Siwon” He sticks out his tongue playfully. Seems they are close enough that Jimin can act that way, but then the boy reaches his hands out. Isn’t the boy too big to want be picked up? Myungsoo raises his eyebrows. Howon’s father shakes his head and kneels down to hug the boy. The boy smiles widely when he pulls away from the embrace and Sunggyu’s father can’t help but chuckle when the boy gives same gesture to him.

            “Have you eaten?” Howon’s father asks the boy which answered politely with no, but he will make sure that uncle Howon will feed him well. They can’t help not to laugh. They converse little with Jimin and part their way with promise to buy him bubble tea and nanaimo bar when they are back. Myungsoo calls his secretary to bring biscuit or everything they have to Howon’s room.

            “He is my soon to be nephew as well” Myungsoo says to Howon who raises his eyebrows.

The boy has stepped inside Howon’s office room. It’s big, but as not big as his father’s. He looks around slightly and Howon knows that eyes, Jimin asks for his permission to explore his office room, Howon nods and that’s all Jimin needs. Howon calls Mark to his room. He wants to bring Jimin looks around main office, but he has load documents wait for him to handle. Mark arrives at same time as Hyeyeon, Myungsoo’s secretary brings refreshment for Jimin. Howon thanks her, Jimin follows suit and bows slightly to her which makes Hyeyeon can help, but pinches the boy without even realizes. Jimin is polite enough to not protest and just smiles to her. He squeezes his cheek that seems sore after Hyeyeon leaves the room.

            “I hate being pinches” He mumbles. He looks up to find Mark smiles in amusement to him.

“This is my personal assistant Mark Tuan” Howon introduces Mark to him.

            “Hei, Mark-hyung. My name is Choi Jimin. Nice to meet you, please treat me well” He says and bows in 90 degrees.

            “I am Mark Tuan. Nice to meet you too, Jimin” Mark bows as well. They avert their gaze when the door opens. Howon smiles to his friends, Mark bows slightly and Jimin bows in perfect manner. They note how polite this boy, Howon holds Jimin’s shoulders which makes him looks up to Howon and offers him wide smile. Jimin introduces himself again to the new incomers.  

            “So how old are you, Jimin?” Jaejoong asks to the boy.

            “I’m eleven years old, uncle” He answers politely after swallow his food down.

            “Aren’t you supposed at school now?” Sungyeol asks.

            “We have a festival for three days, I don’t really fond of crowd place. It is kind of makes me suffocate” He answers honestly. They nod to his answer and ask the boy about his school, family and all. Jimin puts down his chopstick and makes Myungsoo and Sungyeol raise their eyebrow when they caught the boy attention to Howon. Howon feels the boy’s intense gaze.

            “Do you have something to say Jimin?” Howon asks him. The boy shakes his head and begins to eat his remaining food.

-------

Soeun gathers all her belonging, she gets urgent call from her mother in law. It’s good she has finished her lectures for the day. She bits goodbye to her lecturer colleagues she meets on the corridor. She smiles and nods her head to students who greets her as well. She takes the elevator, she usually takes the stair but she doesn’t want to make her mother in law waits for her, it’s better for her to waits than her mother in law waits for her. She is standing in front of the campus building when black car stops before her. She smiles when the woman on the passenger seat smiles to her and motions her to come in. She sits beside her.

            “Good afternoon, eommanim” She greets her.

             “Good afternoon for you too sweetheart. I don’t disturb you, right?”

            “Don’t worry eommanim. I have finished all of my lectures” She replies smiling widely. Her mother in law smiles to her.

“Okay then. We will drop on your place first to put all your belonging and changes your clothes. I want my in law to steal all the attention for her alone” Soeun laughs to that and nods her head.

“I have called Myungsoo as well. He will pick you up. You know, this day he doesn’t hate public place that much, he is more willing to participate at events now after he has you” Her mother in law really love to see her reaction, she thanks God above that she isn’t a type of high school girl who blushes over small thing related to her crush.

--------

“Myungsoo has talked about his suspicion to me. I’m not that surprised at all. I know they have spied our private life, but I think we are more cautious after the incident. I’m not worrying about my family as long as I have known I can reassure I never be their target” Sunggyu’s father says.

            “They won’t dare to do the same” Woohyun’s father balls his fist.

            “I won’t let them touch our families” Sungyeol’s father says sternly.

            “They are adult now” Dongwoo’s father tries to calm them down.

            “We can’t take it lightly. Remember what happened 8 years ago. We have our own secret not to be told and everyone has scandal. We could cover all of the almost blown scandals, but we failed to protect him. We were to focus to cover big scandals that could bring us to the ground. We never thought that their target was Myungsoo, we focused on ourselves. Three families they used as pawns to succeeding their real intention. They tried to frame Junki as drug user, found out about Woohyun’s love life and discovered Sungha’s family problem, but we didn’t realize that their actual target was Myungsoo” Howon’s father says. They nod their head.

            “2 days ago receive something on my desk. I don’t know who send it. For all I know they want to mess with us” Howon’s father gives envelop with the documents inside to Junsoo first. He looks at it and puts it down. His face is void of emotion. Dongwoo’s father who sits beside him takes look and gives it to the other as well. The pictures inside is Soeun also another persons who spy her also other notes about information. 

            They look to Myungsoo’s father. 8 years ago they had brought several persons who framed Junki to jail although they couldn’t make this people talk other than they took the responsibilities for it and they thanked Park family to covered up story on the media.  Park family also hunt down photographer behind Woohyun’s photos, use their connection on media and television, and has it under control even before public saw it. Head of Kim family who is the best lawyer in South Korea took Baekhyun, Woohyun’s lover, under his protection and sent him to Canada. Park family used their power on media and their connection as Media Empire to covered Sungyeol’s father family fair, again helped them. Although their problems actually were solved by Myungsoo’s suicide attempt. It was mend all of the broken hearts, changed many things on one hell night. 18 years old boy who kept all of hardness, sadness, and loneliness. The one that thought about his friends and told them how important they are in his life, the one that made them realize how their sons needed their fathers. A son and a little brother who apologized to his father and his older brother for being born to this world and asked them to live well, a teenager who blamed himself as killer of his mother. A teenager who was being betrayed by a “friend” he considered as brother. “Friend” who wanted to destroy him because of he was Lee Junsoo’s son, CEO of Lotte.

            “Dohyun please signs the best bodyguards to watch our sons and their spouses and search identity for their spies and their family as well. Sungha calls Kim Sanghoon to prepare for lawsuit. Junwoo, tell the Park and the Choi that we will need their help in short time” Junsoo says in calm voice. They look at each other before nod their head, this side of Lee Junsoo isn’t the side they will against with.

They excuse their selves back to their office room. Myungsoo’s father looks up and closes his eyes. He opens his eyes in snap and runs outside his room, tells his P.A. to clear his schedule of the day. 

--------

Jaejoong sees his father rush step from the other direction when he talks with Howon. He immediately excuses himself and tells him that they can talk further on night which Howon nods in agreement. Jaejoong makes call to Howon’s father that he needs to do something and he will not in his room, Howon’s father laughs to him and says it’s okay. Jaejoong knows Howon’s father won’t mind, but still he is his superior and he can’t just walk out from his duty as his vice. Jaejoong’s father steps in the elevator and Jaejoong waits for other elevator beside the one his father used. First floor, it means basement or parking lot to be exact. He nods and smiles slightly to the employees who step out of the elevator and greet him. He push the second floor button to give him more time before he pushes to first button then. He doesn’t want to get caught by his father. When he arrives at first floor he sees his father car has been driven. He runs to his car and turns on the engine. He gives another distance from his father. His father stops on the flower shop. He parks his car far enough from his father’s view. He thinks his father is going to meet his mother in law, but then dismisses the idea. Why his father in such rush?

His father purchase white flowers bouquet. He doesn’t know where his father destination is, he follows him without any recognition to the way. Until he drives to familiar way he remembers dearly. Jaejoong’s throat becomes dry so sudden.

“Mother” Jaejoong is slowing his speed when he realizes where his father goes. His father car has been parked exactly in front of the cemetery and he leans his back on the car. No need to hide that he is following his father when his father is standing there with little smile on his face. Jaejoong parks his car beside him and steps out. He is surprise when his father shoves a white lily to him. They take their time to walk on the stair where his mother’s grave at, the father-son don’t exchange a words. Jaejoong can see his father several times takes glance to him secretly and smiles softly. Deep down he knows it’s the same who will always cradle him every time he needs shoulder to lean when he was young. And even though his father tries to keep his façade in front of Myungsoo, he knows how his father’s eyes soften to his younger brother. Something is holding his father back to show his affection to them. Jaejoong, himself, avoids his father at all cost. After his father sent him to England, he doesn’t feel need to interact with him as long as that’s not matter with Myungsoo. He barely picked his father call up, he barely spare his time when he came the long way to England just to meet him. He blamed the accident happened to Myungsoo on his father’s shoulders. He had not spared a glance to him when Sunggyu’s father punched him, he didn’t even visit Myungsoo after that.

“Father” Jaejoong stops on his track and calls him. His father turns to him and waits for him to tell what in his mind is.

“How about we have coffee after we visit mother” His father smiles sincerely and nods his head before continues to walk with him.

--------

Soeun and her mother in law join with Mrs. Lee, Sungyeol and Sungjong’s mother and Mrs. Kim, Sunggyu’s mother. Mrs. Jang, Dongwoo’s mother can’t make to the charity because of something she needs to assist. Howon’s mother will come later after finishes her job at school. She and Mrs. Choi have opened English and Mandarin school for all age, they just open it for children and teenager on this time and will add another class for adult next. She is in charge on the management and Mrs. Choi is the one who is running the system. Mrs. Choi is diplomat before and capable to speak in several languages.

“Oh… They are here” Mrs. Kim says and makes them avert their gaze to the door. She sees Mrs. Lee, Mrs.Choi and she bets it’s Sehuna who walks beside her mother. They take the unoccupied chairs on the table after gives small hugs to them. Sehuna is fine young lady, she has good taste on clothes, and not to forget it goddess.

“Soeun-shi, I hope you will help Sehuna to adjust with her soon new role” Mrs. Choi says. Sehuna who drinks her tea almost chokes and turns her head to her mother.

“Myungsoo-shi and Howon is really close friend from what I heard. I want you to help her to adapt not only for her role as wife, but also to adapt at the society. She just back from State not long ago and her job don’t make it easier for her” Mrs. Choi says with small smile on her face.

“Hei, what’s with that. She will be okay, don’t worry we all will help her” Soeun nods to her in law words.

“Don’t worry Mrs. Choi, all of Howon-shi’ friends have already accepted her” Mrs. Choi blinks to her slightly and Sehuna gives awkward smile.

“They would love her as much as or maybe more than me” Soeun says.

“I hope so, she is brat and blunt, sometime rude. That’s what I’m worrying will make her in trouble, she has got many troubles already” Sehuna gives wary smile to her mother and sips her tea.

The charity event is going smoothly well and like the other charity event she ever attended it’s always nice to get the chance to participate in social movement like this. From what she sees they receive enough amount of money to help some orphanage across Seoul, their program is supplying new books for their libraries.

 “What?” Sehuna shrieks. Soeun turns her head around to her.

“I have called Howon and he doesn’t mind to come here” Mrs. Choi smiles sweetly.

“Mom, you can’t just do that. How if he is busy or ….”

“Don’t worry sweetheart, Howon is not busy. I have asked his schedule” Mrs. Lee adds. Sehuna sighs and nods her head in defeat.

“He will come here in no time” Mrs. Lee adds.

“Ohyeah, almost forget. Jimin is with Howon as well” Mrs. Choi informs. Sehuna mutters ‘great’ under her breathe.

They bit their good bye to their mother and waits for Myungsoo and Howon.

“Soeun-shi” Sehuna calls. Soeun turns her head to her waits for her next words.

“I don’t know, but I think it won’t be pain the if we wait for them at café across this building” Sehuna points her index finger to the said café.

“Okay. I will text my husband then” Soeun smiles to her, Sehuna nods her head.

“I will text Howon as well” They cross the street and steps inside the said café. They are greeted by smell of brewed coffee. They chooses table rather on the back which provide two couches, but still get the view of the outside so they still can see if Myungsoo and Howon arrives. The café is quite crowded seem the customers just have finished their work and take their moment to enjoy little time here for a glass of coffee.

Sehuna takes seat in front of Soeun. Soeun can sense that many eyes set on them. A waitress takes their ordered. Sehuna orders tea with slice of strawberry shortcake and Soeun orders macchiato with slice of cheesecake. Not long after the waitress comes back with tray of their ordered and places the items on the table, they both thank her. Soeun quickly notes that Sehuna’s choice of clothes and wardrobe shouts wealthy, maybe that makes males think twice before hit on her. She admits that she is beautiful and if it’s not for cold demeanor and unapproachable aura this girl won’t have time to be alone in her life. Sehuna sips her tea calmly, Soeun chuckles.

“Do you find something funny, Soeun-shi?” Sehuna asks and places her cup of tea back.

“Nothing” She smiles and takes spoon of her cheesecake.

“Oh… I almost forget. I don’t have chance to say thank you to Myungsoo-shi for defend Howon in front of his other friends. I really appreciate that” She smiles sincerely.

“Don’t worries I will tell him or you can say that by yourself later” Sehuna nods her head.

“Do you know you have all males’ eyes set on you”

“Is that so? Let them” Sehuna says in rather bored voice.

“I guess they are here” Sehuna says smiling. Soeun nods her head when she sees Audi and BMW parked outside the café. Myungsoo steps out of his BMW and Howon to from his Audi with a boy.

“That’s Jimin, my brother’s son” Sehuna says. Jimin pushes the door of the café. Jimin scans the room and smiles when he finds his aunt, Howon and Myungsoo followed behind. Jimin walks to them and plops down on the couch. Sehuna shakes her head.

“Aren’t you rude to do that, Choi Jimin? Don’t you need to greet and introduce yourself to auntie” Jimin smiles sheepishly and faces Soeun.

“I’m Choi Jimin, aunt Sehuna’s nephew. Nice to meet you, auntie. Please, takes care me well” Jimin introduces himself and bows.

 “Nice to meet you, Jimin. I’m Kim Soeun, you can call me aunt Soeun” Soeun smiles to the sweet boy. Sehuna makes Jimin sits beside her.

Howon and Myungsoo walk while talk, they can pick it easily what they converse about from their serious expression. And they are right about it when they hear it closer.

“We can send someone to check on it or I can go there by myself” Howon says.

“No need. It will be quite fuss if you handle it, the shareholders will questioned why it needed you to handle small problem in the first place. Beside of that, you have many works here, I’ll call Woohyun-hyung, he knows who will fit the job” Howon nods his head in agreement.

Myungsoo and Howon smile to them. Howon greets Soeun and Myungsoo does the same to Sehuna. Howon takes seat beside Jimin and ruffles the boy’s hair when he shoves spoon of strawberry shortcake Sehuna ordered. Jimin is really cute and cheerful boy, he is smart as well. They converse a little while, it’s more like the two man give time to them and just join for little chat, the two woman find they quite enjoy spend their time together. They finally call it day when Jimin yawns, seem the boy has tired already after his long quest on Lotte. Jimin gives big hug each for Soeun and Myungsoo. Sehuna and Howon bit their goodbye with Jimin who barely can keep his eyes open in Howon’s arms. Soeun can’t tear her eyes from the scene, they make good picture of family mother, father, and child. Child….

She averts her gaze to Myungsoo when hears him chuckles. She raises her eyebrows to him. Myungsoo jerks his head to the other customers inside the café.

“Howon-hyung and Jimin break hearts without they realize it” Soeun picks it quickly.

“They make quite cute family” Soeun smiles widely.

“If you not mention how awkward and strange Howon-hyung when he holds Jimin on his arms, Siwon-hyung makes it natural to hold Jimin”

“Do you mean his father?” Myungsoo nods his head.

 “I guess Howon-hyung will make good father” Myungsoo adds and stands from his seat, he goes to the counter to pay for their bill.

So do you. Soeun thought.

“Well, lets back home. I still have some documents to check” Myungsoo backs and extends his hand to Soeun. Soeun smiles and holds her husband’s hand.

--------

“Hyung, you need to stop. She already has husband” Gikwang tells Junhyung who has his eyes bore to the view of café across their car. They just come there because Junhyung’s mother can’t make to the charity and she sends Junhyung instead to give their donation after the end of event. They see Soeun and Howon’s fiancée stand outside the building, Gikwang looks their surrounding slightly, he takes the donation from Junhyung’s hand and makes his way inside to the building without spare glance to the two women.  

“Hyung, come on” He says to Junhyung after Myungsoo’s car disappears from their view. Gikwang can’t help, but pitying Junhyung. Kim Myungsoo and Yong Junhyung are victims of their own father. Junhyung and his father relationship isn’t as happy as people thought, it’s all just façade. Junhyung is barely exists for his father, he isn’t son for him, he is just heir and the one that will continuing their lineage nothing more. Myungsoo, maybe his father doesn’t care about him, but he has uncles and aunties who love and care for him. It’s not secret that the Kim brothers are close to Sunggyu’s parents, and they relatively close to their friends parents because their parents have known each other from young age. Kim Junsoo (Jaejoong and Myungsoo’s father), Lee Junwoo (Howon’s father), Jang Dohyun (Dongwoo’s father), Lee Sungha (Sungyeol and Sungjong’s father), and Nam Yonghyun (Woohyun’s father) are like brothers and their friendship flows on their children’s veins.

Myungsoo has many things Junhyung wants. Stupid action led to disaster and Junhyung has to pay it. Junhyung never said it a lot, but Gikwang knows how hurt Junhyung is when Jaejoong doesn’t even spare glance on him. And to add the bitter, Junhyung falls in love with Myungsoo’s wife. He doesn’t know Soeun really well, but Gikwang knows she isn’t same type as Goo Hara.

“She won’t come to you, hyung”

Junhyung doesn’t say anything to that.

---------

            Suho puts his pen down when his father walks into his office. Her father closes the door and locks it. Suho knows it must be really important if his father acts that way. He immediately put aside case of document he reads before. His father takes seat on the couch inside his office, Suho stands from his chair and follows his father to sit on the couch.

            “What’s wrong father?” Suho asks. His father gives brown envelope to Suho, he takes it and looks what’s inside. He widens his eyes when he looks to all of the pictures inside.

            “They are Kim Soeun and Choi Sehuna. Kim Soeun, Kim Myungsoo’s wife. Choi Sehuna, Lee Howon’s fiancée”

“What’s this time?” Suho asks.

“You know what happened 8 years ago Junmyeon. They don’t know what’s going on this time, but seems the two are the target”

“No, they are just pawn. They want Myungsoo and Howon”

“I get interesting information. Choi Sehuna isn’t just ordinary girl, she is youngest daughter of Hyundai CEO, Choi Seungwon. And the most interesting information is they have their own admirer at Shinsegae. I guess you have known who set eyes on Kim Soeun, don’t you?”

Junmyeon nods his head, he has heard it from Baekhyun.

 “Choi Seungwon gets many proposal of marriage for her daughter, it’s still too early to draw conclusion and it’s not our job as lawyer to involve in such situation”

“Woman, wealth, position” Junmyeon says.

“It’s their games of throne, Junmyeon. I don’t want to take part, but I won’t let they sacrifice the others like what they did to Baekhyun” Junmyeon’s father says sternly.

Junmyeon looks to the picture of the two couples. Soeun and Myungsoo inside the café look really enjoying their conversation, Howon and Sehuna at public library read a book beside each other in silent.

"Love can kill, Junmyeon" Junmyen silence for a while before looks up to his father.

"Love also can safe life" Junmyeon states and walks outside his office.