Clarity Part 2/3

Mugunghwa Promise

MARK

                Myungsoo plops down on the couch beside Jason, he looks to the scattered papers in front of him. He wonders how could Sunggyu and Mark manage all of this work without others help. Jason seems share same thought when he catches his eyes own the duo, they work in sync. They don’t look like two persons conversing serious problem related to stock plunk, managerial problem, or accounting mistake. Not that there are many problems occur. Nevertheless, he is surprise by how efficient they can work. Jason seems dislike the idea of being useless in the room, Myungsoo smirks and holds up a document he is currently checking and jerks his head to other folders he is going to check after. Using helping hand won’t harm anyone, Sunggyu shakes his head when he sees it, but doesn’t comment and focus back to his discussion with Mark.

                “Tomorrow we will discuss our finding before we arrange the meeting with the head branch and managers. I will send all the material to your email by the end of day. Any question will wait for tomorrow. Thank you for your work” Sunggyu says after he closes the last folder he needs to check. Mark tidies up the documents they have went through the day. Jason stretches his aching back and Myungsoo brings his hand to his mouth as he yawns. He scoffs in his mind realizing this whole predicament he signs to.

               Myungsoo waits till Jason and Sunggyu leave the room before he approaches Mark. Jaejoong doesn’t mention overload documents when he asks to tag along as extend hands for Moscow branch. His brother will pay handsomely for this after he lands his feet on Seoul.

            “How could you keep sanity handling this? I do believe Howon has many jobs he needs to handling back at Seoul and this overload document to check looks like adding salt on the wound” Myungsoo can’t help but grimace hearing his own whine, he never thought Howon manages this much of work. He knows Howon’s father is CFO who has the responsibility to make sure their company running and presents all the work in order to the CEO that is Myungsoo’s father. Howon must put great deal to reassure his father’s job easier. Howon is the best candidate to replace his father, his ability and personality complement each other in degree can make their rival think three or four times before they decide any manuver for their future business plan or project.

           “Myungsoo-nim, we only do what we need to do” Mark says humbly and averts his gaze back to the task in hand. He has known Mark is typically hard worker, he accepts any works without complaint and perfoms the best. Mark treats his job seriously and full of responsibility. He is silent and aloof by nature, it’s all Myungsoo can see on him. He is not cold, but he likes to be left alone. Different from Jason who chooses to play game on his phone when he has break time. Mark will check on his work once more and reads a book even only for 2 or 3 pages. There is something in Mark that Myungsoo can’t put together, he is mysterious and hard to read. Myungsoo has watched him closely since the hush hush he heard even before he enters the company. It is not common sight to be taken under wing and personally trained by the company’s CEO as intern, he entered as intern at Marketing Department where he got pick by the employees and being forced to handle their works. Their luck was running out when one of the document being “assigned” to Mark got to CEO’s hand, the said document had addition of interesting content. Student essay with Mark Tuan’s name on it precisely. Since that day the employees who committed the “inappropriate” action had been fired and Mark was transferred from Marketing Department to work closely with the upper profiles of Lotte. His father even gave him access to all department as he pleased. No one questioning their CEO’s decision, there is no need of explanation. Considering his position and his sharp intuition which brings success to their department store development, denying his judgement can be considered as questioning his capability.

              Mark puts aside the document when he feels Myungsoo stares on him. The gestures bring uneasiness to him, he has been accustomed with that kind of stare. The CEO and his older son had -cornered- him. He finds himself under the same situation again, he smiles despite the uneasiness, Mark finds it interesting and thrilling watch the chess players. Literally the chess players, the Kims do great job to be the Kings in their Kingdom. The hierarchy – Junsoo, Jaejoong, Myungsoo – is not applied, they take their turn to sit on the throne. They have their own territory to add the detail precisely. Mark has been waiting the youngest Kim to approach him.

              “Give me the names of man you send to watch my wife” Myungsoo says in calm voice, he talks like they just converse about something trivial like weather. Myungsoo takes a sip of his coffee waiting for the other man to answer of his demand. Mark chuckles, there is no need to deny nor admit it, Myungsoo knows what he wants and if his character is close to his father and his brother, he won’t settle for less.

               “What will you do the next, Myungsoo-nim?” Mark asks vaguely.

              “Should something happen, she has to remain the same” His expression is blank, his eyes are unreadable. Mark takes his cup of coffee, hold it before his mouth. He doesn’t believe his voice, opt to nod his head, the plain coffee doesn’t taste bitter anymore. Myungsoo gives him small smile, gathering the file before shoving it inside his briefcase.

 

JUNSOO

            Sungha drops his body to the seat beside Junwoo. He keeps his eyes on the man sits on the “magnificent throne” they called “Emperor’s hill”, converse with his secretary. The lame joke Junsoo hates in his entire existence, not that he does anything to prevent them using the remark. Sungha may is not the most observant in their circle, but he doesn’t need to be one when you know each other long enough to detect their emotions. Junsoo was quite, Junsoo after Myungyeon passed away is silent.

            “I have sent the lily bouquet as your request, Sir” Junsoo’s secretary reports.  Sungha raises his eyebrows, lily bouquet….

            “Thank you. Insure they deliver the remain of list I provided yesterday”

             “Yes, Sir” The secretary bows to them and leaves to conduct the rest of her duty. Junsoo averts his gaze to Sungha, Junwoo watches in amusement. He will wait which one will back down first from their starring contest.

            “Anything you want to ask, Sungha?” Junsoo asks without breaking their gaze.

             “I do believe it’s not my business. Curiosity can kill the cat, I am not interest enough to know anything I don’t have advantage on” Sungha says calmly while adding a cube of sugar to his tea.

             “It reminds me of the Hyunseung boy. What is your plan for him?” Sungha asks to no one in particular, his eyes moving to Junsoo to Junwoo.

              “We don’t know what you are talking about Sungha” Junwoo replies while stirring his coffee. Sungha smirks to his friends, insignificant pawn for their game. He holds his tea cup high for the duo before shrugging his shoulder and tastes his “concoction”.

             “Sungha, please make sure the employees knows about proper etiquette conduct regarding illegal drugs” This time Junsoo’s command brings wide smile on Sungha’s face.

              “It will be my pleasure, Your Highness”

 

HOWON

            “Howon, can you bring me outside? The garden will be fine” Howon has been familiarized with the tone, he nods his head while offering small smile on his face. She smiles back to him softly. Howon helps her to the wheelchair. She has kept whine how to be trapped in four white walls is, honestly the walls in her room aren’t paint in white. He rolls his eyes, her room is totally fine, comfy should he needs to add. Along the way they are being greeted by nurses and doctors, Sehuna’s colleagues seems relieve to see her by their own eyes, they smile knowingly to Howon. The information they have gotten from doctor Kim didn’t make them feel in ease.

              “Soeun-shi told me about stupid threats you all threw to Myungsoo-shi. She said they had big fight and it’s like iceberg. If she knew that being fainted was the way to force her husband to come around, she would do that on purpose. She heard every single words you all have outside thanks to Sungyeol and Sungjong who had their phone connected on line as they wanted her to hear to Myungsoo’s confession and their conversation. She knew she didn’t need to push Myungsoo to commit as husband, your threaten to Myungsoo-shi using the to Myungsoo-shi using the projects and works were all bull and childish playful” She tells him innocently.

              “Hahaha..... You know that time I couldn’t believe I said that. It’s kind of awkward for them both, as friends we didn’t know what to do as well. We just came up with the first person who blurted out about the projects we currently had that time and followed to lead. To say the truth I laughed hard after I left the hospital” He confesses and laughs freely. She chuckles, imagines how silly they were. 

             His laughs subsided and focusses his attention to her. She looks up to meet his gaze, finally Howon can see the emotion mixed on her brown orbs. She lets her guard down to make her feeling cross over Howon’s mind. He takes her right hand on his own, squeezing it lightly as encouragement. Sehuna’s eyes fall to their join hand, taking deep breath. The emotion from her eyes vanish as if never been there before.

          “Mrs. Kwang had passed away” She whispers softly. She told him about the older women many times and had drew a line on how close they were. He knows he is the first person she tells about.

        “She is in better place, right?” She smiles slightly while waiting for his answers.

            What kind of life do you have till you try this hard to appear strong?

         “Are you okay?” Howon asks after silent that feel like hours even it only seconds. She nods her head, attempts another smile.

         “You won’t appear less strong should you show your emotion” He can see her emotion battling, he is aware what he is going to do it’s not ideal for this situation. He is not playing affair, manipulating her and gets what he wants.

      “Do you trust me?” He holds her chin up, searching her eyes. He has the upper hands, he has been made aware of her fear to lose control.

            Howon hears hurried footsteps and her mother comes in sight, she almost run to them, but stops in her track watching the scene. She gives solemn look to Howon before changes to relief one. She smiles softly to him and waves her hand as sign she is leaving. Howon offers sincere smile back and mutters thank you to her which she mouths you‘re welcome. He tightens his hold to his fiancée, he can hear the muffle sound of her cry. Out of instinct he rocks her back and forth, drawing circle on her back. They will talk properly later, his priority right now is to provide shoulder to cry on and place to rely on.

 

KRIS

           He clenches his fists on his side. Choi Sehuna was laughing beautifully along with Lee Howon on the hospital garden. It was not long before the scene changed to serious conversation and all he knew Sehuna is in Howon’s embrace. Kris watches the scene from the start, he feels pat on his shoulder. He turns around and meets Sungyeol’s solemn eyes. The codding man has been aware of his feeling long time ago, he may has known even before Kyuhyun knew the existence of his feeling toward the young intern.

          “I thought you would get over her and saw her as stupid crush” Sungyeol tries to , even he knows it is miserable joke. Kris eyes still fix on them, he always watches her from far before.

          “I won’t be able to crack such emotion from her” He says bitterly. Sungyeol pats his shoulder, Kris may loves Sehuna more than Howon. He doesn’t doubt it, Sungyeol can tell Howon doesn’t have any romantic feeling toward her, he likes her, but in different way. Sungyeol is being thrown in the middle of situation, if only they knew it from the start far long before the feeling blooms, he would be able to prevent Kris from the wound.

Kris looks away not wanting to think about it. In some degree he has realized he has no right to feel hurt or unfair, Howon is Sehuna’s fiance. It’s bond to happen, that Howon will be here accompanying her. She will listen to Howon and he can interfere to her decision. He knows what Howon does is solely for her own good, but he can’t avoid his heart to feel hurt.

        “Can I leave greeting for Sehuna? Hope she will recover fast and go back as health as ever. I need to go back for work” Sungyeol promises to send his greeting and good wish for her health. He looks to the back of his friend watching it disappear from his sight. Sungyeol won’t ask him how he is feeling, throws dry joke and tries his best to cheer him up, Kris feels grateful to his attention and consideration. He can rely on Sunyeol and trusts him enough with his feeling for Sehuna.

 

SOEUN

        Soeun closes her eyes, she thought she imagine that flicker of affection on her cousin’s eyes. She hopes she doesn’t rush to the hospital when Jaejoong’s man informs her that Howon had arrived, currently brings Sehuna outside to the hospital garden. She almost called Kris and Sungyeol when she sees concern written clearly on Sungyeol’s face. Sungyeol sees her, he shakes his head slightly, she may not good at body sign but she takes it as a sign to hide herself and that’s what she is doing. She flinches when someone taps her shoulder and turns back to see Sungyeol already besides her.

         “Act as if you don’t know. It will be much appreciated” He says in deadpan. Soeun nods her head, they opt to watch Howon and Sehuna. She feels the urge to call Myungsoo and just does that without thinking. Sungyeol smiles and leaves her, he has seen enough to tell Jaejoong. Myungsoo picks the call in three rings, his voice laces with tiredness, but he sounds content. She listens to every word, she misses him dearly. The first one falls in love will always be the loser. She doesn’t give a damn to that.

       “When are you coming back to Seoul?” She asks to him suddenly. Myungsoo says he may takes more time than original plan. It seems the branch faces some difficulty and he can’t leave it that way. He can’t give her the answer of the exact date he will be back.

         “Can I go there?” She asks pleadingly. It is no use to say take as long as needed anymore. Twice seeing people she loves got hurt has made her unsettled. She is afraid, the old feeling rushes back to her.

       “Don’t push me away” She says in broken voice. She isn’t aware she is crying until she feels someone hugs her. The man takes her phone from her hand and talks to Myungsoo. She barely recognizes the voice as Jaejoong.

      “Myungsoo will come home. I promise you” Jaejoong whispers to her.