Friends?

like a butterfly~

"It's not like that." Jungkook's ears peak when he hears her voice drifting his way. "No..."
He stops in the doorway and waits, not wanting to interrupt her phone call, but it's like she can feel his presence because she looks his way and waves him in with a soft smile.

Then her eyes drop to the first aid kit he was holding. She looks back up at him in surprise. She's done that a lot today. "Lee, I have to hang up."

So, she was talking to Lee. It's amazing how they were still friends after being in different countries for the last few years. Even him and Joon hadn't been able to stay in contact much.

"Hm, yeah, see you then." Her face contorts from annoyance. "Ya, stop."
Before ending the call she puffs up her cheeks, displeased. Whatever Lee had said, it made her look really cute right now.

"Are you finished?" When he walks closer, he sees the unfinished meal.

"Oh, I wasn't sure if you wanted to eat the rest or not, so I just left some for you." She points at the kit. "Are you planning to open a clinic here, Oppa?"

There it is again, he had wondered before if she was aware or if it just slipped out. "'Oppa'?"

She visibly flusters up and her gaze wavers. "Ah, I meant Jungkookie." And then she smiles at him sweetly, his heart skips a heat. "But I don't think my ankle needs such care. Where did you get all of this anyway?"

"My car. I have this just in case I need to ease the pain after practice." He puts the first aid kit down and moves onto one knee, making her alarmed.

"No, no, you don't need to."

"________, it's not a big deal. I don't mind." She's become even more opposed to burdening other people and he had a feeling that it was stronger towards him. "Can I take off your shoe?"

"Oh...eh, wait, I'll do it." It's amusing how she needs to do at least one thing herself.
She bends down and loosens the shoe lace, her hair falling down the side of her face. The color was different but it looked nice on her and gave of a softer feel to her features.

Before she slips is off completely, her head lifts, eyes coming in contact with his. 
They're close, and her gaze as always makes him nervous. One of the things she could never read off of him is that while he couldn't look away from her, he also found it hard to stay calm.

"Don't you have rehearsal later?" Jungkook snaps out of it and wonders if she noticed him staring. "On stage, I mean."

"Yeah, in about an hour." He moves to take her feet into his hands. "Tell me, if it's hurts."

"Yes." She giggles when he shoots her a look at using formality. "'Eoh, Jungkookie'."

His lips curve as he busies himself with wrapping up her ankle after putting on some numbing cream. "Did you ever think of becoming a doctor?"

He could feel her gaze on him, when he glances up, he sees her having put her hand under her chin cutely. "I don't think becoming a doctor is that easy, ________."

"I actually studied for a few months to become a nurse." She laughs with humor as she shakes her head. "I don't know what I was thinking."

"At least your are smart." He hears her rummaging for something in her drawer. "Now, me on the other hand..."

"Are you dissing yourself? Here."

Jungkook accepts the pair of scissors she was holding out to him and finishes up. "Didn't you do the same at rehearsal?" He had not missed the amused smile when the topic of him being a good student came up.

"I... no?" He gives her a look. "Ok, maybe but I wasn't dissing you, I was just remembering how you said yourself that you are not exactly a role model student. There is a difference."

He found is endearing how she getting worked up over this the tiniest bit. Without responding, Jungkook helps her slip her shoe back on. "Tada, done."

"Thank you." He looks up and gets lost in her eyes. That's what he means, even though he feels nervous, he can't look away because it's like he's locked into her gaze. 
A pat on his head snaps him out of it. "Now go eat, 'Jungkookie'."

He cracks a smile, amused. "Am I your Dongsaeng?" That makes her smile, her expression doesn't change when he takes her hand from his head to hold it between both of his loosely.

Then he feels it, the ring, and once more he needs to remind himself to tread carefully.
If it was him, someone touching his girlfriend's hand like he was would already be too much, nevermind wife or fiance but being a hypocrite he was doing exactly that.

Jungkook releases her hand and stands up, her eyes follow him, he sees her grand piano.
Oh, right, he meant to ask her... Should he now? Maybe later.

When he takes a seat opposite her, he sees that she has left him more than half of what he brought her. "That's all you ate?"

"Hm?" She seems to be distracted by something outside the room, her eyes snap to him shortly. "Ah, yes."

Somehow she had to think of using banmal with him, it came more naturally to be polite for her. He would be lying if he said it didn't bother him even a bit, because it did.
"Are you full already?" He starts putting some side dishes into his mouth. "I remember you eating a lot back then."

"Are you calling me pig?"

He laughs from her unexpected response. "Didn't you call me that back then?"

"Well, it's not like I invented it, I only followed along." She holds a finger out. "Also it wasn't only 'pig' but 'muscle pig'."

Jungkook is relieved to find that there were no grudges from the past. She was able to still joke with him. Of course. They had always been friends first before anything and that's the only thing they can be now.

* * * * * *

"You don't need to stand up for me, I don't care about that." Jungkook says just as I am about to do so. "Especially if your foot isn't well."

"Sorry, I'm just so used to it." Being polite, overly maybe, has become a second nature.

His expression softens. "You don't need to apologize."

That, too, has become a habit, apologizing too often.

"I'm leaving then." He turns but then stops. "Ah, ________," I regard him with curiosity. "I need your help."

"With what?"

"I'll tell you later."

That makes me frown in confusion. "Aren't you having dinner later?"

He smiles. "I'll come by before I leave."

"Mhm, ok..." Uncertain of what he needed my help for I agree anyway. "See you later then."

"Hm." Walking over to the door he turns toward me one last time. "Don't move around by yourself."

"Ok, got it." I salute him jokingly, his grin deepens and his nose crinkles.

I sigh contented once he's gone and feel lighter. We had spent the last hour just mindlessly talking about this and that, never brushing on a sensitive topic and never getting too serious.
Bangtan recently moved out of their members dorm and even though they had been excited about this new path in life, they missed living together as a group. Bobo had been a favorite topic too, Jungkook really seems to like the little puppy.

We never mentioned anything about our private lives and somehow it's better that way. Right now, we were rather slowly starting to become tentative friends and I'm glad that there was no hard feeling between us.

I sigh contented again and keep seeing his smile in my head. It's still my favorite thing about him.

~ ~ ~

"________-ah," I feel a light shake on my shoulder. "________-ah."

Slowly, I open my eyes and sit up seeing Soojung. "Eonni? Are you getting off work? What time is it?''

She puts a hand on my shoulder from my restless expression. "It's not that late. I just came to check up on you to see if you need a ride."

Even though it's my own classroom, I feel disoriented. "Oh, no, thank you. I have a friend who will be coming later."

"That's good to hear." Her eyes shift. "How come he just left you here by yourself?"

"Huh? Who?" Soojung nods towards something behind me and only then do I notice the extra weight on my shoulders. Jungkook's jacket. "He must have stopped by."
It mustn't have been long, as I could still feel the warmth and even scent of him.

"Ya, is he your boyfriend?"

I look at her shocked. "No, why would you think that."

"I saw him with a first aid kit."

"Were you stalking us?" I begin to say but then my eyes widen. ''You were! I saw you sneaking around outside''

"No one was sneaking. I was doing it proudly as a friend." She laughs at my stunned expression. "But still that's a sweet gesture, you should you know, go for it."

"We're just friends." Or at least I think we are. "Don't get the wrong idea."

"Mhm... How did you get to know each other? It's not rare for people in our industry to know people in theirs but still, you're different."

"It's a long story."

"Now, that makes me even more curious." She sighs dreamily. "Sounds like the start of a drama to me."

I push to my feet with a snicker. "Go watch your dramas then, Eonni. I'm going to look for him now."

"Can you walk?" We both look at my now wrapped up ankle.

"Yeah, I did earlier, it's much better now." Still, she helps me to the door. "Wait, his jacket."

"Keep it," she says just as I am about to slip it off my shoulders. "He gave it to you for a reason." Then she looks at me in exasperation. "Why are you only wearing this?"

'This' was a thin wool long sleeve shirt. It was cozy but not warm enough for the cold weather. "I left my jacket in my car."

Shaking her head, she looks at the elevator. "Where could he be?"

Checking the time on my watch, I think of my options. "Rehearsal must have ended already, so I guess the canteen?"

"Canteen it is, then."

We arrive with low speed in front of the elevator, but before we can push any buttons the doors slide open.
"Oh, Jungkook-ssi," Jungkook steps out of the elevator with an amused smile, while Soojung steps in and waves. "Bye, Eonni."

I turn to Jungkook once the doors slide back close. "Did you wait a long time?"

"No, I came in 20 minutes ago, but I didn't want to wake you." His eyes move to his jacket and I wonder if I should return it now.
"You were breathing icicles." I laugh at his exaggeration. "Jokes aside, why didn't you have the heater on?"

We were walking back to my room in a slow pace, him matching my irregular one. "It's just, having it on when there is only one person in there seems like such a waste."

He is quiet for a moment, then I can feel his hand on the place where my arm would be if it wasn't for his jacket. "How is your ankle?"

"It's much better, thank you."

"Do you think you can play the piano?"

Curious, I peer up at him. "Yes, of course, as long as I don't use the peddle ."

"I wanted to show you something." I nod my head for him to continue, but he doesn't, instead Jungkook guides me to the piano and sits me down on the piano chair.
He follows suit, our legs pressed together with him probably almost falling off, as the width wasn't exactly suited for two people.
He takes a deep breath. "Oh, I'm nervous."

I turn my head and smile at him. "It's just me."

"I'm nervous because it's you, ________." I don't know what to say to that as my smile fades and I can only look at his handsome face. "Please, treat me well, Seonsaengnim."

"Ah, what is this?." I giggle at him bowing his head with a cheeky grin. "You're more experienced than I am."

"Not when it come to the piano." He can tell that I'm about to protest so he nudges the side of my thigh. "Shh, I need to concentrate."

I have to laugh but I let him do his thing and halt all movements with anticipation when he places his fingers on the piano, remembering how clumsy and inexperienced he had been the last time he played for me, 4 years ago.

Jungkook starts playing and I instantly feel the chills all over my skin, the haunting yet sweet melody filling the small classroom.
It's not something I've heard on their albums before so it must be a new song he's working on.
It's not just an average piece but the way he wrote the melody is able to touch something deep inside my heart. I'm not sure if it's intended but it makes me want to wail for no reason.

He wasn't even singing and my reaction was already like this, imagine if he already had lyrics to this masterpiece. I really hope that it makes it into the album.

It takes me a moment to realize that he had played the last note, still very much entranced by the melody. "What do you think?"

I was at loss for words so I keep it simple. "I like it."

"You voice." He laughs softly. "You sound so starstruck."

Closing my eyes, I smile because I probably did look like that. "No, but I really like it. Is it for an album?"

"I can't tell you."

I give him a bewildered look. "You played me the whole thing but you can't tell me what it's for?"

"I'll tell you later." I shake my head. "If there is one thing you could criticize me on, what would it be?"

"I don't have anything." I respond without hesitation. "I like it the way it is."

"Not even one little thing?" Shaking my head, I glance at him. "One tiny thing?"

"No."

"Heol." I crack a laugh. "Do you need to hear it again?"

"Ya, are you trying to show off?" My eyes widen in disbelief when I see the sheepish smile on his face. "You are."

"No, no, I'm just craving for some constructive criticism."

I frown. "But it's your creation, I'd feel bad to do that."

"Come on, just one."

No matter how much he wanted me to, I still felt really reluctant. "It's not even a finished piece."

"________-ah," I look away from the keys at him. "Please."

"Aigoo." Unable to resist Jungkook's doe eyes, I stand up and stagger towards my table to search for some empty music sheets. "So stubborn."

"What are you doing?" Finding a pencil, I return to his side and start scribbling on the paper. "Wuah."

"Shh." I imitate the way he had hushed me earlier and giggle when I feel him pushing me playfully. "If I fall, I will hit you."

"You won't." I feel a slight pressure on the very left side where I sat, he had put his hand there to make sure. "I've got you, although I feel like I'm going to fall."

"Don't blame me, you sat me down here even though there are a dozen of chairs in this room." Not sure what notes he had used in the pre chorus, I ask him to play that part again. "Ok, thanks."

"Do you also work in composing music?"

"Hm?" I was distracted by my own thoughts. "Oh, eh, no, not really. But I do have to rearrange some pieces to make them more appealing for today's audience."

"Mhm, that's why." I can feel his eyes on me. "Does that mean I will have to put your name on this song, too."

"So, it is for an album!" I place the sheet in front of him with a bright smile. "Do you want to or..."
Jungkook nods for me to proceed and I have to reach across a bit, to get to the right range of keys. "It's not much that I changed but well, just listen."
Still unfamiliar with the tune, it takes me a few tries until it sounds as smooth as his version.
"Here," I point at the paper. "I just added a few notes on the lower range to make it differ from the other choruses. But as this isn't even the finished piece, there really isn't much to say."

Moving my head in his direction, I watch him studying the notes with a slight frown from concentration. After several seconds, his eyes shift and land on me, the corners of his mouth lifting. "I like it."

Jungkook was using the same awestruck voice I had spoken in earlier. This time it's me who nudges his side, but he doesn't budge much. He just smiles.

"I heard earlier that Yoojin-Seonsaengnim will be returning either tomorrow or the next day."

"Oh, that's a relief." And I really felt it deep in my bones.

"Why?" Jungkook sounds surprised to hear that. "You didn't look like you minded at all."

"It's called professionalism. I really don't like playing in front of people, that's why I work behind the scenes."

Suddenly, a loud sound coming from a device makes me jump, hitting my hurt foot against the piano. 
"Ok, now this is what I call pain." I wince with a strained voice. I find Jungkook looking at me distressed but wave it off. "It will pass, go take your call."

I was digging my nails into my palm in hopes to have that pain distract from the pain in my feet, but then I feel Jungkook sliding his hand down my wrist to unclench my fist.
Then a second later, he moves away, even standing up from the chair. He'd done that a lot today, each time we've had any kind of contact it would take only a few seconds for him to snap out of it.

"It's Jimin-Hyung." I look up to find him staring at his phone. "He's here."

"What?" That makes me stand up myself. "Why?"

"Not sure..." Jungkook looks towards the door. "I'll go find him." He moves to exit the door but then turns my way. "Who is driving you home?"

"Lee is coming later."

A frown on his face, he purses his mouth. "It's already pretty late."

"There is some schedule for her. That's why." I wave him away. "Don't worry, I'll get home one way or another."

"I'll go see what Jimin-Hyung wants and then I'll be back." I hadn't really expected him to return so I just smile and nod my head. 
"________." I look up from the piano startled because I thought he had left already. "Are you hungry?"

"Mhm... a little." I show him with my two fingers just how little. "But I think I'll be having some late night snacks with Lee, later."

He looks at me with those round doe eyes, it's hard not to smile at his cute expression as he ponders something. "Just wait for me here.''

"Ok, understood." Jungkook smiles and leaves, only me and my thoughts left as I wonder again what the heck I was doing.

~ ~ ~

"I see you're already singing the song." I jump when Jungkook's voice meets my ears.

"Yeah, it's already stuck." I wonder how long he's been standing there. "What did Jimin-ssi want.?"

Jungkook steps over to my desk and glances down at the sketch I've been reviewing. "Hyung is waiting for me downstairs. He heard that I didn't drive my car today. What is this?"

"It's something we've been working on." Sketches of stagewear are scattered across my table. "For the musical."

"Mine?"

I giggle. "No, unless you want to wear a dress. I think I can arrange that."

"No, I think what I'm wearing is fine." And it is fine. "I'll be leaving then, I wanted to say bye before that, and I got you something to snack on."

"Oh, wow, you didn't have to." Seeing his expression I continue. "But you want to yeah, I know. Thank you."

I'm not sure if he's smiling or smirking, but nonetheless it's very distracting. "You're welcome." He places something boxed up in front of me. "Bye bye."

So, he still says it this way. "Bye bye." I watch him leave and instantly feel lonely now that he won't return. At least I'm not cold anymo— oh, crap, his jacket.
"Oppa!" As much as I can with my foot, I rush to the door and bump into something just when I am about to round the corner. "Ouch."

Two hands wrap around my arms, keeping me from bouncing back. Even though we've had close contact today already, standing so close to Jungkook made me nervous, I move back or at least I try to. I peek up and once more get entranced by his eyes. It's always been his eyes.

"________." I snap out of it and look at his neck instead. "Are you hurt?"

"Oh, ehm." I blink and slap myself mentally. "No, everything is still in place."

After a few seconds, Jungkook releases my arms. "You called me?"

"Yes," I reach for his jacket and slide it off. "You forgot this."

Jungkook just looks at it and then takes it from me. "Thank you."

"No problem." Slowly, I walk backwards and wave my hands awkwardly, feeling the cold seeping in. "Drive safely."

"Hm." His are following me, I can see the wheel in his head turning. "Don't catch a cold."

"I'm stronger than you think."

I meant it as a joke but he looks at me in a serious way and agrees. "I know."

"Then...you don't have to worry." Somehow, I really didn't like people worrying over me. "Go, Jimin-ssi is waiting."

"Alright," But despite his words, he is lingering in the doorway. "Bye bye."

His repeated words make me laugh amused. "Bye."

Taking a good look at my face, Jungkook then sighs and walks over to table where I was standing. "Is it such a bad thing for people to worry about you?"

I'm thrown off by his question, because I didn't know that I was so easily readable. "Huh?"

"Worrying is caring, and I still care." My stomach flips when he reaches behind me, coming closer. "Nothing has changed about that."

A now familiar weight is back on my shoulders. "Just accept this jacket as my birthday gift." Then he smiles cheekily.

"My birthday was months ago."

"I know." His smile staying, his eyes never waver from mine making it hard for me to not blush. "Just accept it, please."

Arguing would be my next instinct but I had a feeling that he wouldn't leave until I agreed, so I do. "Ok."

Smile beaming, he pats my head, it brings back memories. "I'm going."

I snuggle into his jacket and smile timidly, my cheeks still feeling warm. "Don't catch a cold."

Amused, he rolls his shoulders back, purposely drawing my attention to his broad physique. "I'm stronger than you think."

Eyes closing in disbelief, I still smile nonetheless. "Go, before I throw you out... and... thank you for the jacket."

"Of course." Jungkook's eyes soften and I feel my stomach dipping when it brings back memories. "Bye."

"Bye."

After minutes of him leaving, my heart still hasn't settled and that made me realize just how hopeless I am.



— — —
wow this was hard to edit and I don't even know why and I feel like there are a lot of mistakes but my eyes feel really sore.... you guys I've been really tired all the time lately, and it's not like I don't sleep enough or like my mum says I sleep too much... I'm just going to blame it on the weather like I always do hehe

golden disk awards is tomorrow and the red carpet starts at 7am for me orzzzz with the many naps I took today I don't even think I will sleep tonight TT the things I do for bangtan >.<