Wish

like a butterfly~

"You can wait here if you want." They had just arrived at the private hospital and were about to enter the patients' side of the building.

Jungkook glances at her. She is biting her lower lip in concentration, a slight frown creasing her brows. He had been taken aback to hear that she had her father transferred to a more prestigious hospital hence the slight delay in surgery.
She had done all of this for her father but still she looked like she wanted to bolt and be anywhere else but here.

Silently, Jungkook places a hand on her lower back and walks with her to find her father's room, showing her that he will stay with her.
She opens the door and before Jungkook can see inside she is already rushing in.
"What's wrong? Where are you taking my father?" Jungkook stays outside the door not sure if he should go in or not.

"Miss ______, I'm just taking your father to do a few more tests."

She relaxes. "Why did no one inform me of this? I told you to call me if there was anything."

"Sorry, Miss." The nurse bows her head in apology.

"________-ah, it's not her fault. I insisted not to have her call you." Scanning her father's face, Jungkook sees the resemblance but he was pretty sure that she took after her mother more.

She regards her father for a moment and then turns to the nurse. "What tests?"

"Just a few CT scans and other tests that have been done at the public hospital before but we are just making sure. Nothing that will hurt him."

Running her hands through her hair, she nods her head. "Alright, let's get going."

It seems only then that she remembers that Jungkook was waiting while her father had seen him already, observing him like a father would.
It's surprising that he hasn't said anything yet or asked her who Jungkook is.

She steps over to him and waits for the nurse to push the wheelchair. Standing up on her toes she goes to whisper. "You really don't have to wait for me, I don't know how long this will take."
She keeps an eye on her father all the while. "Lee will be here soon anyway."

"Nonsense." Jungkook puts an arm around her shoulder. "I said I'll stay, so I stay."

She focuses a soft, thankful smile towards him and he realizes that she had wanted him to stay but would tell him to go thinking that it would burden him. Honestly, leaving her would be more of a burden. "When will Lee be there?"

She takes a look at her watch. "In half an hour, she said she has to get some stuff from home... I wonder how Joon will react."

"Probably wants to barricade the entrance." Instead of Joon staying at his brother's, Lee will be staying at ________ apartment for a few days to cool off.

"That might actually make Lee burn down the building with him in it." She peers up. "Would you do that if I wanted to leave after a fight?"

"No, but that's only because I would never be such a fool. I hope." He adds and her shoulders shake in silent giggles. She hasn't smiled since they arrived. "Also we don't live together... yet."

"'Yet?' Who says I want to even live with you." They stop in front of the elevator. "I quite like living by myself. You know, I don't sleep well with others."

"Ah, is that so?" He nudges her shoulder. "But last night you—"

Her father's head snaps their way having been listening and glowers at Jungkook.

Jungkook played with the thought to keep talking knowing that it would rile him up but he was already sick and that could worsen his state.
As much as Jungkook didn't like her father for the things he has done, that would definitely be counter productive.

"I don't think you slept next to me."

"No, I didn't. But earlier you seemed perfectly fine cuddling into me."

She glares at him. ''You were the one that held me, I was sleeping.''

''You were the one that turned to me.'' He counters.

''T-That's only because I was exhausted.'' She crosses her arms cutely as they step into the elevator. ''I'm usually a restless sleeper. I will kick you out of bed, trust me.''

''I'll just hold on to you, then.'' She only breathes in deeply at that but then looks up with a smile. She still looks a little tense and Jungkook wanted to have her relax but her father was there.

Her father speaks up. "What's your name?"

"Father.'' The warns before Jungkook could answer. The reason could be sheer resentment and annoyance or also the worry that the nurse will recognize him.
Her constant worry about that never seems to cease and it made him feel guilty.

"My name is Jeon Jungkook, Sir." Jungkook bows. As much as he did not like him, Jungkook will never forgot what his mother taught him. Always be respectful.

He doesn't say anything along the lines of 'nice to meet you' because frankly it was not nice to meet the person who had his girlfriend suffer for so many years and still be traumatized.
He hopes it conveys through his eyes as he unwavering stares right back at her father who after a while drops his eyes.

Her hand finds his and tighten in a comforting squeeze and it is these small but impactful gestures that made him fall all those years ago. She cares so wholly and beautifully.
She will forever put others before herself even if it means that she will have to step out of her comfort zone.
It's surprising that she doesn't seem to see that about herself, it almost seems like she takes it as something that people should do anyway. It is truly admiring to see how selfless she is despite her childhood.

Once they've exited the elevator, she slows her pace so they were staying behind to have some privacy. "Can you stop staring at me? It's making me nervous."

So she had noticed him all this time, it never shows except her slight flush. "It's because you're so pretty."

"Oppa," she opens but then closes it, resigned. "I give up, you won't stop anyway."

"You're right, I'll keep going until you acknowledge it, too." Nudging her side with their joined hands, Jungkook smiles into her captivating eyes when she glances at him. "I'm curious. You must have had people tell you before even as a child."

"Mhm..." The way her lips jut out as her eyes look up in concentration is just really endearing. "Yeah, but mostly it was 'kindness makes you the most beautiful person in the world no matter what you look like'... I grew up with my mother telling me this all the time. So, that is the beauty I aim for. Corny, right?"

"Your aim is pretty spot on," she smiles bashfully. "Your mother, too, sounds like a beautiful person."

"Yes, she was. Without her, I don't know how I would have turned out." She was not talking about her outer self. No, she is talking about her inner values. "I wish you could meet her, she would have loved you. Even back then she would have loved you."

Something in her words make him feel mournful because he really wanted to meet the person who had brought her to the world.
"I can still met her." Her eyes find him again. "Out there, one of the stars is your mother. I will greet her like a proper son-in-law would."

She pats his arm while biting her lip. "Who said I want to marry you? Huh, Jungkook-ah, do you plan to marry me?"

She meant it in a teasing way but Jungkook find himself truly with the intention of doing just that one day.

"Of course," her eyes widen. "You know my father always told me that if you're going into a relationship without even the tiniest thought of marriage then you shouldn't even start it at all."

"Mhm," she sounds impressed. "You're father is a wise man. You know, Jungkook-ah, that makes a girl feel very warm inside." It's endearing how she is trying out his name even though she probably felt more comfortable before, simply because he told her he liked the sound of it.

"Then will you marry this 'Jungkook-ah'?"

She laughs at his teasing and peers at him with bright eyes. "If you asked me now, probably not, but in the future who knows."

"Ah, that's not really an answer, is it?" She is a realist and he likes that about her.

"Well, that's all you're going to get for now." The nurse had stopped in front of a room and was waiting for something it seems. "I really wish we could spend our first night differently."

"It's alright, there will be many more nights." Jungkook puts emphasis on the last word and when she glances at him in disbelief, he wiggles his eyebrows suggestively. He knows that always brings a laugh to her face.

"What the..." The laugh is accompanied by a whack, though. Not that it bothers him. It's her way of affection. He's used to it from Seokjin and Jimin. "I'm never sleeping over ever again."

"Miss," the nurse intercepts their playful bantering. "The test will start now, it will take a while. I ask you to wait here."

"I understand." She hesitates before walking over to her father, letting go of Jungkook's hand. "I'll wait here, Father."

"________-ie," she goes frigid for a moment and Jungkook gets the urge to place a hand on her back. "Go home, it's late. Don't worry about me. The surgery isn't until Tuesday so you don't have to come."

"It's weird, you kept looking for me and now that I'm visiting you, you don't want me to?" She smiles in irony with no humor at all.

"It's because I have realized that I shouldn't have done all of that." She tenses up once more at her father's words.

"It's too late for that now." She says quietly but everyone could hear her in the hospital's eery silence. "Alright, we'll be going then. Call me if there is anything."
The last part is directed at the nurse. After that she turns and together they make their way out.

He could read from her expression that she was trying to compose herself. Not that she was close to tears but this had cost her a lot of energy. It drained her. And it pained him to witness this and not be able to do anything about it.

Inside the elevator instead of the parking garage Jungkook presses the button to the ground level. She doesn't even notice until they had stepped out of the elevator and were about to exit the main door.
"Huh." Despite the circumstances, she looked really cute right now in her confusion. "Why are we here?"

"Since Lee will be here in a while, let's take a walk while we wait for her." Jungkook offers his hand. "I saw a sign that there is a park in the back."

Once their hands are intertwined, he slips them into the pocket of his coat and side by side they stroll around, the lamps illuminating the way. "Is this ok for you?"

"Hm, yeah. I just can't deal with complete darkness." She still has a careful look around. "But I think the incident in the elevator helped."

"Maybe it was the kiss." He had wanted to make her hit him or anything that would get her to stop thinking but she was still distracted, her eyes far away.
Jungkook had hoped that taking her to see nature would help as it so often did but to no avail, she still seemed off.

Jungkook raises his head and takes in the beautiful night view. Now, that they weren't in the city anymore, the stars were shining bright and that's when he remembers.

''Jangmo-nim," he keeps looking at the stars even though he could feel her eyes on him. "I'm Jeon Jungkook, nice to finally meet you." Jungkook bows deeply which makes her laugh softly next to him.

"Thank you for giving birth to such a lovely and kind daughter, really, thank you so much." Her fingers fidget inside his pocket but still he doesn't look at her yet. "I've known your daughter for almost 7 years now, but I say that lightly because the time we actually spent together was only a few months. Something I regret..."

Jungkook had not planed what to say, he is just letting out the things he never told her but should have. The things his younger self had beaten himself up over never saying.

"Nonetheless, those months were the happiest, I genuinely feel like that. There were moments when I thought 'woah how would someone so beautiful choose to smile at me like that?'. I felt blessed and I still do.
"Jangmo-nim, do you know that your daughter likes to prank people a lot? One time, she even went as far as squeezing wasabi into Bingsu and gave it to my Hyungs. Also one time, she cheated in a race but I still won. And then there was one—"

"Ah, Eomma, don't believe him, I'm not like that." His heart tightens. it really sounds like they were having a conversation with her mother. If there was one thing he wishes he could do for her, it's this.

"Shh, I'm having a conversation from mother-in-law to son-in-law, don't interrupt us." She presses her lips together but smiles while looking down. "Where was I? Oh, yeah, one time she tried to feed me some cake with mustard but it didn't bother me at all. Your daughter is really tricky and stubborn.''

She whacks him lightly.

"But these are just the little things. If you see her as a stranger she appears strong and unapproachable at times, because she always looks so composed and perfect. But if you ask anyone that truly knows her they will tell you that she is the kindest, most selfless person."

Jungkook could feel her looking at him again but he keeps looking straight ahead because if he looked at her now he will forget his words and he needed to get them out.

"Her love for everything is pure and genuine. She knows how to protect herself but she would rather be the one hurt than harm the ones she loves...
''Jangmo-nim, your daughter has grown up to be beautiful inside and outside and all this time I have known her, there was never once when I thought otherwise. And that might sound burdensome to her now, but I want her to know that if she ever needs to let go of that kindness or if she ever feels like she needs to think of herself first, that I will still stay by her side."

Jungkook stops in front of a fountain and finally turns towards her, taking their hands out of the jacket.

"Jangmo-nim, please rest assured in heaven. ________ will never be alone again and even though I made that mistake once, I will do everything in my might to keep her safe from harm's way. I will show to you that your daughter is in good hands."

Tears are glistening in her eyes and Jungkook hopes that she is moved to tears and not sad.
Even though he had directed his words at her mother, they were also meant to give her the reassurement that she should have gotten in the very beginning.

Her eyes have not left his at all as she keeps blinking up at him like she was seeing something out of this world. What she doesn't know is that right now it's Jungkook that felt like he was seeing an angel.

Her grip on his fingers loosens and he feels the loss immediately. But then she surprises him by putting both her hands on his shoulders to push onto her toes.
He expected her to kiss his cheek like she often would but again he's taken aback when she aims for his lips. Just before she closes the distance he closes his eyes and savors her soft lips against his.

When he opens her eyes, although it's too dark to see, he just knows that she is ever so slightly blushing, her lower lip was pulled between her teeth in bashfulness and in that moment she just looked really beautiful.

"Ya, you're kissing me in front of your mother?"

Her smile deepens. "Sorry, Eomma, but it had to be."

Jungkook didn't think it was possible to fall more but she just keeps proving him wrong.

— — — — —

"Oppa?"

"Eoh, it's me." I smile hearing his voice even if it's over the phone only. "Are you going to sleep?"

"Mhm, not yet." Glancing at the my closed bedroom door, I wonder if Lee would wake up. She has gone in to sleep early. It's been a few days since she started staying over. "I still have some work to finish up."

"Quickly, finish up and go to sleep." Jungkook sounds like he is stretching. "What did you two do today?"

"We went shopping and then... Well, you will see tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? What is it?"

The curiosity in his voice makes me smile. "You will see tomorrow, Jungkook-ah."

"Ah, so you're not going to tell me."

"No, but you will see tomorrow or whenever we see each other again."

"I could come over now." For a short moment, I feel excited.

"No, I told you I don't want to see your face all the time." My own words make me snicker. "What did you do today?"

"Did some recording, some practicing, some meetings, organizing...."

"And now? You're still working, right?"

"Mhm, are you going to get upset if I say yes?"

"Yes... but I don't want you to lie so no. Just please, get some sleep."

"I will." He is silent for a moment. "What if I told you that I'm in front of your door right this moment?"

"I would..." Even though I know he isn't, my eyes cast a suspicious glance towards the door. "Barricade it, probably."

"What? So heartless." A smile forms on my face. "Did you hear that? Did someone knock?"

"No?" My eyes peek up again though. "Don't play me."

"I'm not... Now?"

I answer after a gap of silence. "Nope."

"Really? How about now?" This time I do hear something but it didn't sound like a knock. "You heard it, right?"

"No..." I deny but listen closely. He couldn't be, could he?

"But now you do." I actually do and my heart doesn't know what to feel. Before it can decide my brain interferes as it realizes it's just him knocking on something.

"Ah, ya." Complaining with a whiny voice, I pout.

"Did you want me to be at your door, our Cutie?" His nickname for me keeps getting more cheesy.

"No, of course not, Lee is here."

"What if Lee wasn't there, would it be ok then?" Chills rise involuntarily as his voice gets even deeper over the line.

"I'm hanging up." Jungkook chuckles as I ignore his words. "Good night."

"Good night, Cutie." Will he stop? "Dream of me."

I'm silent, pondering what to respond and choose the honest one. "I already do, or did last night."

"Really?" Why does he sound so excited by that? "What was the dream about?"

"It's a secret."

He continues asking. ''What did we do?''

"I'm not going to tell you, Jungkook-ah." Partially because I didn't remember completely but also because I didn't want to jinx the future.

"Was it y?"

I sputter a laugh hearing his suggestive tone and I could imagine just too well what expression he had. "Still not telling."

"A hint?"

"Hint? Mhm...." I didn't want to give it away. "Beach.''

"Beach?"

I realize too late that it could be perceived in a wrong way. "We were fully clothed." I blurt out before he can tease me or anything. "Like normal people, that's all I'm saying."

Jungkook snickers through his nose. "I didn't even say anything."

"You didn't have to. I know you, Oppa." I scratch my head. "And I think I'm becoming like you."

"I think you have a wrong impression of me.'' I can just hear the grin through his words. ''What did we do at the beach?''

''You're supposed to figure it out yourself. That's why I gave you a hint.''

And then he shocks me. ''Is it a wedding?''
How does he know? I had in fact dreamed of a wedding on a beach. 
''________-ie?'' He calls at my silence.

''Ah, I'm still here.''

''Am I right?''

"No." I respond too quickly. "I'm hanging up, now. Good night."

''Seems like I'm right.'' His cute laugh flows through the line, it warms my heart. "Good night, Cutie." How to dislike a nickname when it is said with so much affection? "Don't work too late."

"Hm, you, too, Oppa." I pout to myself. "Good night."

"Sleep well."

"Hm, you, too."

"I will." I wait for him to hang up but he doesn't. "Think of me."

"Ok." When am I not?

"Dream of me." I giggle when it seems like he too doesn't want to end the call.

"Eoh."

"I'm hanging up now."

"Ok." I wait for him to do so but the line stays connected. "Oppa.…"

"Hm?" Jungkook questions as if everything was the norm.

"Hang up." I check the time. "Or you will never sleep."

He sighs. "Alright... Good night."

"Good night, Oppa." And this time before we can repeat this process all over again, I hang up not caring if he had any more to say.

Standing up to get myself something to drink, I return to my phone chiming. I wonder if it's him.

'you're not cutie anymore, you're meanie'

Accompanied by that text, Jungkook had also sent me a freshly taken selfie with him resting on top of the table, his forearm bracing his chin as he looks into the camera with a scrunched up face, looking rather cute than affronted.

'then you will be cutie from now on. good night, cutie'

As many times as we had said our good nights already, this was definitely not the last text of the night or rather morning.



— — — 

I should probably proofread this one more time but I'm so tiiiireeed. After the MV dropped I spent a big amount of time being very emotional over the meaning and the music video itself. It just pulls on all my heartstrings, it's playing in the background now and I'm getting emo haha, tbh I didn't feel it at first because I was so stressed about starting streaming on melon and then naver and also watch the MV but once I took my time to read the lyrics I cried, when Jungkook wakes up and sees that the others are still there ;_; and then Jimin with his shoes ugh and just their vocals in this sound so mellow but also give so much hope it's just so beautiful...

I stayed up till 6am to see if we were still on top of all the music charts and we were huehue guys this is the best we've ever done, I think we got 18 real time allkills and finally got the first ichart allkill TTTT and then the MV too I was rooting with everyone and getting angry at YT for not updating the views properly but omg we broke our own record by so much, 9.4m views SAY WHATTT? thinking back to run era where we were struggling to get 2m views and now ugh I'm so emo...

Bighit staff were right when they said this will catch the general publics attention, I mean look at the korean music charts;;;; sorry I'm just thinking back to the harder times and getting very sentimental and emotional and I love the new songs so much, especially YNWA.

It's only been 30 hours but so much has happened already and I'm totally blown off my socks so if there are any mistakes as always... pls ignore them haha I only slept 3 hours lol