Almost Strangers

like a butterfly~

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Yes?" I look up to see Minhyuk poking his heads inside the doorway. I'm surprised he even bothered to knock.

"It's time, Noona."

I look at my watch and realize that it was night time already. "Do you think your mother would mind if I bailed on this dinner thing."

"It's my mother we are talking about." So, yes, she'd mind.

Sighing, I run my hands over my hair and pick up my things, getting ready to go out. "Let's go."
I put my coat over my arm since the restaurant was just a few floors up. "How many people will be there?"

"A lot." My shoulders slump. Somehow I just don't like social gatherings no matter how often I go to them. I feel him patting my shoulder. "Don't worry you have me."

"I don't think you'll be able to make it better, because your mother is just going to turn it into more than it is." We stop in front of the elevator. "Please, also tell her to stop calling me her daughter-in-law."

"What? You don't like it?" I glare at him. "Ok, ok. I'll ask her to do it but you know she's her own woman."

The door opens to an empty elevator. "It's really embarrassing."

"How is that embarrassing?"

"Eh, probably because it's not true?" And never will be. "So, please don't put any more ideas into her head."

The elevator stops, the door opening to reveal who we were just talking about.

"Hi, mother."

Seeing us two together, she grins. Oh, no. "I'm really happy to see you two together."

I didn't really want to deal with them right now so before the elevator doors can close, I slip out. "I'll see you upstairs, I really need to go to the ladies room."

I can see Minhyuk holding his hand out surprised but luckily the door slides close in front of me and I breathe out a sigh of relief.
Thinking that I might cause the lift to come back down with them still in it, I decide to walk over to the other side of the building where there was another lift.

Taking my time since I was supposed to be at the ladies room, I take out my phone and check my messages. Jieun had called me. I frown because she usually doesn't just call for no reason. It's must be important.

My heels click against the marble floor as I walk over to the elevator and to no surprise I wasn't the only one waiting for it.
Shortly after, the doors open, a few people get out first before I step in.
I was responding to some messages when the next floor is announced. Seeing how someone had pushed the button, I move to the side to let them get out. Surprisingly, the elevator pretty much empties out. Leaving me to myself.

I press the close button and lean against the side railing when I notice that I am in fact not alone.
For the second time today, my eyes settle onto Jungkook. Seeing his expression, he probably already recognized me as soon as I stepped into the elevator.

Not knowing what to do, I bow my head and look away feeling extremely awkward.

In my head, I was begging for the elevator to go up faster because it seems like time was standing still. But as soon as the doors open it's not me who is out first but Jungkook.
I guess we both felt the same awkwardness.

My heels clicking against the floor again, I suddenly wish I had worn something else because the sound was obnoxious to my ears.
Getting ready to get the door after him so it doesn't shut in front of me, I look up at him surprised when he pulls the door and steps aside, waiting for me to go first.

My eyes linger on Jungkook's before I drop them. "Thank you."

Walking in, I have to do a double take seeing that indeed there were a lot of people already there. This free dinner is going to be expensive for whoever it isn't free for.

Like the hawk eyes that she has, Minhyuk's mother spots me in a second. "________-ah, over here."

She waves me over and I see that they had saved a spot for me right in between them. Well, this is going to be fun. Not.

* * * * * *

As much as Jungkook tried not to look at her, it was proving to be hard. His eyes seem to have a mind of their own.

She's laughing at something Minhyuk said. Jungkook remembers him well from that one time they met in Japan.
She touches Minhyuk's arm to whisper something in his ear and suddenly he wonders where the little child is.

He had been more than taken a back to hear her voice inside the elevator yesterday but as it had been so long, he wasn't sure if it was her or not. Only when he saw Minhyuk standing outside the lift was he certain.
He had felt funny seeing them together and even though it wasn't any of his business he was curious about the ring on her finger. Had Minhyuk put it there?

Shame belatedly fills him as he remembers how he hadn't fought the urge to openly checked her out inside the elevator earlier when she hadn't been aware of his presence, yet.
She was wearing a red, adorned cardigan. The leather pants and heels showcased her figure and even though he shouldn't he thought she looked beautiful.

She was eye catching without herself even knowing, but that's always been the case. But he has no business thinking about her like that anymore. That's what he tells himself as he sees her laughing with Minhyuk. He's lucky.

* * * * * *

It wasn't that bad to be honest. Seems like Minhyuk had been good on his word and spoke to his mother while I wasn't with them. The entire night she hadn't mentioned anything uncomfortable.
I actually had fun catching up with the coworkers that I usually don't get to see as I'm always holed up in my classroom.

"You sure you will be fine by yourself?"

"Yeah, I didn't drink." I touch my hand to Minhyuk's mother's arm in reassurance. "I'll be fine. Ahjumma, you had a drink though."

"I'll be taking a taxi. Don't worry about old me."

"I can drive you home. It's no problem at all." We were one of the last to leave, as she was the main host, she had to stay.

"No, it's not even on your way." She smiles at me and I can see that she was exhausted.

"We've got a small problem." Her secretary speaks loud enough for me to hear. "Someone fell asleep and just won't wake up."

''Who?'' Ahjumma turns to look at the few people left.

''It's one of the artists. An idol.''

I look around already feeling like I knew who it was. There is only one person I know who sleeps like stone. And my assumptions are confirmed when I see a familiar form slumped over on the table. Walking over to him, I see that Jungkook had had a few bottles of Soju.

"Jungkook-ssi," I shake his shoulder softly. "Jungkook-ssi." He doesn't move an inch. So, he really still sleeps that tightly.

"Do you know him?" Ahjumma had also walked over to him, looking at me with watchful eyes.

"Yes, we went to school together." I explain simply. "His manager isn't here?"

"No, for dinners they sometimes come alone, practices too." The secretary says. Practices? Does that mean I'll might run into him again. I don't know how to feel about that. Still...

"I'll get him home." I knew where his old dorm is but I doubt that he still lived there with the other members. It has been years.

"Are you sure? He's drunk." She sounds worried and even though I hadn't seen him in years, I didn't at all.

"Don't worry. I know him well." I reassure her. "But maybe you can ask your secretary to help me get him to my car. I don't think I'll be able to do that on my own."

From what I could tell, Jungkook hadn't stopped living inside the gym.

"Yes, of course."

~ ~ ~

"Miss, are you ok?"

"Sorry?" I was stumbling into the lobby of my apartment complex. "Ah, yes. He's just really heavy."
I don't know how I managed to get him out of my car, but I think Jungkook got a bump in the process. I was tempted to ask for help but I didn't want there to be even the tiniest chance of someone recognizing him.

The security uncle moves around the counter to call the lift for me. "If there is anything wrong call me, Miss."

"Yes, thank you, I will." I was touched by his effort, probably thanks to my brother and Jieun. "Have a good night."
Thank god I wasn't wearing my heels anymore or I'm sure I would have hurt myself more than I would him.

Arriving at my floor, it takes a few seconds until I manage to open my door. At least he was somehow still moving his feet in his half drunk half asleep state.
I hear Bobo's paws clicking against the tiles. "Hey, little boy. Sorry, I can't carry you. My arms are a little full."

My dog's tail wiggles excitedly, his eyes following me as I step in further, almost dropping Jungkook. Dragging him to my room, I drop him onto my bed and straighten my back. God, is he heavy.

Bobo had his paws up on the bed, his tongue out curiously looking at Jungkook. 
Removing his shoes, I pull the cover over him and go to look for a bucket in case he feels like throwing up in the middle of the night. I will have to check on him once every while so he doesn't suffocate.

I'd stopped by the company and waited there almost half an hour, ringing the bell several times. No one had answered. Then, I called Joon just because it would be better for him to stay at a male's place than at mine. He too hadn't taken the call.

"Come, Bobo." I pat my thigh, trying to get him to come with me. "Bobo, come."

But Bobo ignores me completely, his attention solely on Jungkook.

"Bobo, let's not be so creepy, ok?" I walk over to Bobo and lift him into my arms, closing my bedroom door behind me.

— — — — —

The next morning, I was ready to go but the problem was that Jungkook still hadn't woken up. I had already gone out on a walk with Bobo, who was now lying in front of the closed door where Jungkook was. I had half an hour before I needed to leave to work.

Walking into my room, I see his lifeless form, Bobo instantly pants excitedly and actually jumps on the bed.
"Hey, get down." This time he listens and gets down after a few seconds. "Bobo, be good and stay on the floor."

"Jungkook-ssi." I focus on Jungkook and try to wake him. "Jungkook-ssi. Jungkook-ssi." To my avail he doesn't move at all.

"Oppa?" Foolishly, I call him like I used to, thinking that it will work like magic but again he doesn't budge. I sigh and with him unmoving it gives me the chance to really look at his face for the first time.

I could see the stubble on his chin and above his mouth. His features had sharpened even more, over the years the baby fat receding even more. The only thing that stayed the same are his eyes, which were closed in total relaxation.
The years have done him good, but he was always good to begin with.

I shake my head because let's not go down memory lane. I'd done that enough the first year after we split. 
Breathing out heavily, I start to gather the notes that I would need for today's lesson but glance back at him when he moves.

"Oppa?" I observe his face but aside from that shifting he doesn't move after that.

Getting my things ready, I take a blank sheet of paper and write down a note, placing it on my kitchen island.

Returning to my room, I look at Jungkook and my traitor of a dog glued to his side.
"Bobo, I'm going now. Don't jump on the bed." Wiggling his tail, he paddles over to me, I rub his head and he jumps on me. "Don't disturb Oppa, ok?"

Looking at me with his round doe eyes, he pants like the happy puppy that he is.

"Good boy." Bobo returns to Jungkook's side as if he was the owner and not me. Making sure that there was enough food and water for Bobo, I grab my bag and leave for work.

* * * * * *

Oppa?

What a weird dream? That voice. Jungkook hadn't heard it in a while. Stirring in his sleep he moves but stops when he hears it again, this time more clearly.

"Oppa?" He was scared to open his eyes, not knowing what he would find. Why was she talking to him? Why was she calling him Oppa?

Questions run through his head as he hears her talking to someone, her dog. "Don't disturb Oppa, ok?"
Jungkook can hear paws skidding across the floor and her footsteps outside the living room. He wonders why he isn't showing her that he was awake. Probably because he feels humiliated at showing her this side.

The door clicks close and Jungkook waits what feels like a few minutes until he sits up instantly feeling his head pound. He definitely should not drink that much again.

Something touches the side of his leg. "Hey." His voice is coarse and unrecognizable. How reckless of him to drink himself to this point. He still has practice today. "Bobo was it?"

Not barking unlike his own dog, Bobo only looks at him with anticipation. "Handsome one, you are."

When Jungkook stands up he finds his shoes neatly placed at the foot of the bed and another wave of shame comes across him. 4 years and this is the first thing she had to experience with him.

With Bobo in tow he walks out of her room and is greeted by a simple yet warm living room and open kitchen. Walking over to the sheet of paper he spotted, he doesn't know how to feel about the note that she seems to have written down before leaving.

Jungkook-ssi,
I'm sorry I had to leave before you awoke but I had to get to work.
I left some pain killers in case you are feeling
hung over and put the things you might need in the bathroom.
Please make yourself at home.

- ________

P.S. If you need to use my phone, please go ahead.

On the bottom of the note she had written down her address and he is surprised to find his own apartment not being very far from hers. Not that this information would be useful.

With a heavy heart, Jungkook checks for his phone to find the battery dead, giving him no other choice but to use her phone. After that he walks into the bathroom and even though he is only standing there he feels like he is intruding into her privacy.
Seeing the toiletries, even a disposable shaver on the counter, he wonders if she lived with anyone.

But then again, it's none of his business.

 

 

 

— — — 
me is tired again *cue long yawn* this one is really boring for me, it was also boring for me to write.. but oh well the beginning stages are always like that.

Oh, right, so we had a little bit of JK's POV as I had mentioned before and I thought it would be good to have a little bit of insight into his emotions sometimes, so I did that....

what else... eh.... pre order for the epoligue dvd started and I remember when the actual concert happened last year I swore that I would buy it bc its such a sentimental moment for them but at this point... with me having bought four albums just a few months ago I don't think I can do it orz...

scary thing is also you never know when bangtan are going to drop the next one... TT

also I'm having a hard time finding titles for the updates/chapters/parts, so I might go back and change them later ^^