Guardians

like a butterfly~

Meetings are stressful. There is no other word for it. Especially when there is a senior coworker that doesn't seem to like you no matter how hard you work. I always dread going into them.

I make my way to the auditorium with the stage design team as I was given the task to discuss the details with them after we concluded all our ideas. We end up waiting outside in the lobby as we were told that rehearsals were taking place in that moment.
I was reading up on some information on the board when I hear the door being opened. I turn to follow the design team when I spot someone who I haven't seen since I was a child.

"Seonsaengnim!" I call him.

Hyunsik-nim looks in my direction and squints. "Who...?"

"Saem!" I whine like I used to. "You don't remember me?"

"Perhaps..." His eyes scan my face and then lighten up. "Voice bulb!"

"And of course you'd call me by that name." He walks over to me and gives me a warm handshake and pat on my bag as the artists make their way to the elevator. "Why again did you call me that?"

"It's a secret." He grins at me and even though he has aged, he still has the same warm aura. "If you still haven't figured it out then I can't tell you."

This is what he used to tell me when I asked him that all those years ago. "You still remember."

"Of course, I do. It's hard to forget my little Voice Bulb. It's really been too many years."

''And I'm not so little anymore'' I say in hopes he will stop calling me that. "Saem, I didn't know you were giving vocal coaching for the musical."

"These kids hardly need any." He throws a thumb over his shoulder. "I'm surprised you aren't in there with them all."

"Ey, how can I compare." He used to give me piano and vocal classes, but that was when I was a child.

"Of course, you can." He almost says, chastising. "You were coached by me, my Voice Bulb is amazing." I smile and look around embarrassed. "Does that mean you're not singing and performing like them?"

"No, I'm not. You know my mother didn't want me to."

"I remember..." He pats my back. "My condolences, Voice Bulb."

"Thank you, Saem." I smile softly. Even though it was only a few hours a week, he became a father figure to me. But for some reason a year after my father left us, I never saw Hyunsik-nim again. My mom had told me he moved away.

"Are you waiting for someone to have lunch with?" He faces the people who were lingering in front of the entrance.

"Actually, I was waiting for all of you to leave so I can work."

"You're not having lunch?"

I shake my head. "Since I don't have a set schedule, I can just have it later when you're all back."

"You promise to eat?"

Now, I pat his back. "Yes, don't worry, Saem."

He turns to leave but then holds up a finger. "Do you still play the piano like you used to?"

"Yes, why?"

"Will you play for me later?"

"Oh, no." I shake my head vigorously. "I know what you are planning and it's not happening."

He used to always trick me into playing in front of other people because he knew I hated it.

The old man laughs. "You go in now. I'll see you later."

"Yes." I mock say because he hates having his students using formalities with him. "Have a delicious meal, Seonsaengnim. Thank you for existing, Seonsaengnim."

I bow and laugh at his expression. "You've become more daring."

"Well, it's been 10 years, what do you expect."

"You take after your mother, just as beautiful and as spunky." His eyes take on a melancholy expression.

"Eh, what are you saying? How am I spunky?" I put a hand on his shoulder and steer him around. "Anyway, go have lunch, old man."

"I'm not old." He says, offended.

"Ok, you're not old. But you still need to have lunch."

"You're young, you also need to have lunch."

I gently push him along and wave. "I promised, remember? Go." I need to get to work myself or my senior coworker will only have more reason to dislike me.

Hyunsik-nim wiggles a warning finger at me and I just smile and watch him go. While walking backwards, I bump into something hard and wince. As I turn around, I realize that someone was trying to push the door open but I had been in the way.

"Omo, I'm sorry." The soft, apologetic voice makes my eyes widen. It's Yein. I didn't have to look far to find Jungkook.

I keep my eyes on her and smile reassuringly. "No, don't be, I wasn't looking."

"I'm really sorry."

"No, it really wasn't your fault. Don't worry about me." I move out of the way and gesture towards the elevators. "Please, proceed."

Bowing still feeling bad about the incident, she walks on. Jungkook lingers for a bit longer, then also follows when she looks over her shoulder. I bow at them both and smile in a friendly manner. Watching the two of them makes me feel something I can't describe. A slight pressure was weighting down in my chest.
Even her back side is beautiful and graceful and with him next to her she looks even more stunning. The pressure intensifies. Taking a deep breath I turn away and walk through the door.

As soon as I step into the auditorium I feel a chill rising on my skin. I try to be in here as little as possible especially if it's not full with people. The massive stage and set of lighting made it seem intimidating but since I grew up around here it's more like home.
This is where I used to watch my mother work with the artists while I would walk around the audience seats, sitting here and there, playing peek a boo with the artist and much more.
This is where my mother was in her element. I spent most of my time just admiring her.

Joining the design team, we get to working and throw a rough sketch together that I would then have to present to my side of the department. I'm sure my senior will have a lot to criticize me on. 
We tried to hurry and be quick but still the door opens all too soon and the artists start gathering again. Finishing up, I lead the way to the exist but have to stop as a certain someone tries to scare me again.

"Booh."

I look up with a smile. "I already saw you, Kwanie."

"I'm too handsome to miss." I nod indulgingly. "What you doing in here?"

"I'm here for some other work, but since you're all back now it's time for me to go."

"Ey, no one would mind." He waves towards the seats. "Go ahead, continue."

"Sorry, I'm already finished and ready to go."

"Don't go." He grimaces and uses his aegyo voice.

''If you keep this up, you will drive Lee out of her mind."

"You know what's funny? Lee has built up an immunity for these things."

"Her being your make up artist, I can't even imagine what things she has to go through." The little time I had spend in the salon while she was working on them was enough for me. "You guys are.... loud."

"I thought you were going to insult me." Seungkwan's cheeks ball up.

"There are too many people around for that." The door opens and I see a familiar gray haired head. "Oh, I have to go now."
I duck behind him and desperately try to figure out how to escape this place without being spotted by Hyunsik-nim who would probably make me play the piano. I should have just quickly left with the others.

"What, why?" He turns around confused by my behavior almost giving me away.

"Seungkwan-ah, don't move."

"Ok." He says obediently and literally doesn't move. "You know you're going to give yourself away."

"Shhh." I look over to the side where some more people were standing. "Help me get out of here, will you."

"Who are you hiding from?" He asks lowly, slowly taking steps to the side with me trying to stay undetected. "Is it Jungkook-Hyung?" Now, why would he think that?

"It's your vocal coach."

"And why...?"

"Keep quiet, he's going to see me."

I can see his shoulder shaking but he obeys and after a few more steps I neatly slip in between two girls and wave at Seungkwan and mouth thank you. He in return grins and shoots his two index fingers at me.

I make it a bit further before I realize that I will not get to the door without him seeing me and just then as I look up at the person who I was hiding behind, they do the same.

"Oh, Seonsaengnim." Yein turns around fully and bows. "I forgot to ask if you're hurt anywhere."

"No, I'm fine, everything is still in place." I straighten up to my full length since Hyunsik-nim had already seen me. "Please, don't feel bad. Things like that happen all the time."

"Voice Bulb, you thought you could escape me?" I almost had for sure.

Smiling sweetly, I walk over to him. "Of course not, I would have no reason to."

"Are you done with your work?"

''Yes.'' Suddenly I know exactly what will get me out of this situation. "I'm going to have lunch now."

He gives me a suspicious look because he knows that I knew what he probably would have made me do. "You and your quick sense."

I grin. "I'm going then, Saem."

My teacher from years ago only shakes his head with a smile of his own and claps his hand gaining the attention of everyone else. My cue to leave. Turning around to face them all, I bow one last time. Seungkwan waves and I wave back.

Just as I am about to turn around, my gaze connects with Jungkook's whose eyebrows were pulled together. It's very much like the first time we saw each other again but in a different situation.

I incline my head politely but do nothing more as I exit the door again with a heavy heart. I set my boundaries, now I shall keep them.

~ ~ ~

Have I mentioned that I hate full elevators? What is it about me always having the worst timing when it comes to elevators.
I try not to wince when someone's briefcase keeps digging into my bruise from the incident earlier. Almost sighing in relief when the door opens, I walk out and head to my actual office in the head department floor. As most new employees have to, I share a big office with many others.

"________-ssi," I raise my head. "Chairwoman is looking for you."

"Yes, thank you." Leaving my stuff where it is, I walk over to her office and open the door after knocking. "Ahjumma."

"Eoh, ________, take a seat."

"Why does is seem like I'm in trouble?" Joking, I sit down in the chair in front of her.

"You're not, don't worry." But I can tell it's something serious, not a love call for a chit chat. "As you know I initially offered you this position as an ambassador."

"Yes." I nod my head slowly, wondering if there were any complications because she looked more serious than I'm used to.

"You're going on your first mission." She says with a straight face then claps her hands.

"What?" What's going on? Mission?

"You will be going on a business trip next month."

Still confused, I raise an eyebrow and scratch the back of my head. "Ok?"

"You don't sound excited." She pouts making me smile. "You get to see Minhyukie."

"Ahjumma!" I groan understanding now why exactly she was making it such a big deal. "He's just like a little brother."

"Ouch, that must hurt." She brushes it off, though. "I guess he does seem like a little boy compared to some people here."

"No, it's just I don't have those kind of feeling for him, sorry." I guess it's time to tell her face on. That should settle it.

Ahjumma laughs briefly. "I should apologize, not you. I must have been annoying you with this."

"Just a tiny bit."

"It's just unnerving to see you still being a lonely withered lady." I try not to glare at her. "Bobo, yeah, yeah, I know."

"Yeah, Bobo, my love." My loyal baby. "But the trip wasn't made up, right?"

"No, we're having some collaborations with Japanese plays next year and before that I want you to settle everything for us, just so everything runs smoothly. Accommodation and such will be provided of course. I assume you won't need a guide."
I shake my head as she nods her head. "Good, I'll have everything in detail for you by next week. I just wanted to give you a heads up."

"I understand, thank you."

"________-ah."

"Yes?"

She is hesitant about her next words. "I'm having a business lunch tomorrow and there are a few people I would like to introduce you to."

"Are you trying to set me up?" It's sweet because I know she truly cares.

"That and also those are powerful people. To have some connections isn't a bad thing. You don't have to, of course."

"I'll do it for Ahjumma." It's not like I'm off to get married. If I want to forget about my feelings or at least stop falling, I'll have to do something on my side.

"Oh, that was easy." She puts a hand over her heart dramatically. "I feel really accomplished right now."

I giggle and we chat a little but more before I return to my place in the office and drown myself in paperwork.

~ ~ ~

"I still can't believe you two came here without calling me. You're lucky I didn't have any more things to do, or I would have kicked you out."

"Now, don't be so melodramatic." Lee says next to me.

"Isn't that your forte?" For the umpteenth time, I push Joon's arm from my shoulder. "Will you quit it? Why are you here anyway? We're meeting up later tonight, Lee."

"You seem stressed today. We can postpone this if you want."

"The dinner is tomorrow." I say with a sigh. "I'd really rather sleep and cuddle with Bobo but my best friend is more important."

"Instead of a man you prefer Bobo." Joon shakes his head with pity making me glare at him. He should be careful or I might 'accidentally' blurt things out.

"Bobo is perfect, ok. Don't underestimate him." I give him a warning look. "He's more loyal than you." Joon shrugs his shoulders.

"I bumped into Seungkwan and Yein earlier and also your ex-boyfriend."

My eyeballs almost fall out at Lee's careless words. "Will you stay quiet?"

"And also 'Saem." She continues as if I haven't said a thing. Lee and I had been inseparable during vocal class before her mother pulled her out of it to focus on violin instead. "They told me they're going to a gathering. Too bad we can't go. Or maybe we can go and screw the dresses."

My lips twitch at her hopeful tone. She's just like me, but I had a mission, also Joon was shooting daggers at me. "No way, I already bought my dress last night, it's your turn, Miss."

"You should go," Joon says out of the blue. "Get yourself a boyfriend."

"Just out of a sudden?" I side eye him in disbelief. "Almost all of them are idols. You think I'll go down that route again?"

He murmurs something under his breath. All I could understand was 'Jungkookie' but Lee seems to have heard more because the next thing I know she's the one stopping and whacking his arm repeatedly.
"Don't put thoughts into her head." She's getting very worked up over this. What exactly did Joon say. "That bad man...."

"He's my friend, though." Joon pouts and puts his arm around Lee stopping her from hitting him. "Don't be upset, honey."

I refrain myself from gagging upon hearing that endearment. "Ya, you guys, not in front of me."

"You're just jealous because you're lonely."

"Do I look lonely?"

"You look exhausted, panda."

I clap my hands liking where this could lead to. "You're right, Joon. I'm tired. Lee, let's not go shopping. Forget about our date. Instead of going to our girls night out, let's just stay home."

I watch Joon's eyes widen in panic. Serves you, idiot. "Ya, make a decision."

After a few more teasing on my part, I look at Lee and smile. "We're going."

"Aish, for a second I was hoping so much."

"Girls..." Just like me, Joon too should learn to shut his trap.

Lee glares at him, he back off. "Go get the car."

"Yes, my queen."

This time we both groan and Joon grins with the most accomplished smile ever and walks off. "I don't think I'll ever stop asking how you put up with him."

"He has his moments." She waves her hand dismissively. "Enough about me. It's time for girl talk."

"Here?" I look around the foyer amused. "In the middle of where everyone can hear?"

"No one is here. Talk."

"Talk what?"

"You and Jungkook, what's going on?"

My brows pull together. "Nothing....?"

Her eyes stare at me inquisitional and then her gaze softens. "Oh, you're being honest."

"Yeah." We arrive at the big glass entrance.

"That's good, he's such a—"

"Oh my god, will you stop." I exclaim. "Again, it's been years. He did nothing wrong. Stop behind so judgmental about him."

"You're too nice, ________-ie."

"Am I still? I could have sworn I've become meaner." Even if I haven't, he still never did me any wrong.

She pokes my side making me jerk away. "Even when you are mean you are nice. And also you're only mean to some people. Try being mean to Jungkook."

"And why would I ever have the reason to?" I admit I don't think I could be but still.

"Just try it, should be refreshing."

"Well, he never gives me reason to." I see a car pull up in a distance. "Did Joon run or what?"

"He better." She pulls me in for a hug. "I'll be here later tonight."

"Call me so you don't have to come up."

"Alright."

I hold the door open for her and watch her take her sweet time walking over to the car. It makes me grin. They're truly made for each other.
I take the elevator back to my classroom where Lee and Joon had surprised me at and sit down to continue some work.

"________." I tense up when I hear the voice that I thought I would be able to avoid.

"Yes?"

"Hyunsik-nim is asking for you." Jungkook stays rooted at the door.

I grab my keys and without question join him at the door. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, he just asked for you."

"Oh, ok." And then silence. Awkward.

Jungkook let's me enter first and I find all eyes on me. "Hello."

"Voice Bulb," I grimace when I hear my cringeworthy nickname. "I've been looking for you."

"I really wish you would stop calling me that, Saem." I put my hand into his that he was holding out.

"Never." He turns toward the piano but then looks at me again. "Unless you sing for me, I'll stop then."

"Not happening." I pat his back. "But nice try, grandpa."

"I'm not that old." Why are older people that say that so endearing? Their denial is cute.

"If you say so. Are you finishing up here?"

"Yeah, I wanted to see you before you leave, so I asked one of the kids to get you." I wonder if Jungkook had volunteered or been told to find me. But what difference does it make? "We are having dinner together."

"Ah, really?" I ask, pretending not to know.

"You can come, too. It's on me."

"Wuah, indeed the best teacher I know."

"Is that why you used to make fun of me back then?"

I laugh at his grumpy face. "I think you're mistaking me for Lee, Saem."

"I don't think that's it." Hyunsik-nim smiles, his wrinkles deep, it makes me realize just how much time has passed.

"Hyunsik-nim, I got a table." I look up pass Jungkook and see Seungkwan, who holds his hand out for a high five as soon as he's near enough. "We can get going."

"Alright, let's go. You're coming too, right?" I help him to his feet but give him an apologetic smile.

"Sorry, but I already made plans with a friend."

"Boyfriend?"

"If you want to call Lee my boyfriend, then sure." I say playfully and earn myself a slight push from Seungkwan.

"That's my line."

Pushing him back, I raise my chin at him. "As long as you haven't copyrighted it, I'll pretend I don't know what you're talking about."

"Kids, cut it out." Hyunsik-nim sighs and pats my back. "You're right, I am too old for this."
All I can do is smile at him. He starts walking and I accompany him, a hand on his arm. I hadn't noticed it before but he seems to be having issues with his leg. My heart tightens at the thought of how much older he has gotten.
"You don't need to bring me, Voice Bulb." Although, I had complained at first, the nickname had a bittersweet effect. It reminded of the warm memories but it also made me realize how things are not the same anymore.

"Alright, it was great to see you again, Saem." I wave and bow as the groups of artist walk by me, weirdly Seungkwan isn't moving along.

"Vernon is going, too."

"So?" I hit him when he wiggles his eyebrows. "Ya, stop it."

"Ah, so cute our ________-ie." Before he can pinch my cheek, I ward his hand off and take several steps back.

"I swear if you don't go right now, I'm going to tell Lee to burn your hair off." He just laughs.

"Go, don't let Saem waiting." I wave and do a quick handshake with him. I stop him by his arms, he looks at me in question. ''And also, please watch Hyunsik-nim for me.''

Seungkwan doesn't ask me why or what relation would make me request that, he just nods and I give him my thanks before I once again get back to my work.

Somehow the days seem longer when you're trying to avoid something.



— — —

did I tell you, or did I tell you that something was going to be dropped? I mean everyone who has gone through at least one comeback with BTS knows how bighit works.... now you all know what I'll be doing for valentines day hehe... can you believe that we will get new music from them soon that we will probably love for the next few years? and new dances that will knock you out of your chair? ah, I'm so excited!

anyway.... this was a pretty ehm... filler-ish type of update but there is actually a lot of information in here that will be important for later...

I hope everything made sense and I hope you enjoyed reading ^^

.....oh right... I still have no title.... orz...