Begin

like a butterfly~

Knock. Knock.

"Come in." I call out and wait for the door to open. It's Minhyuk's mother. "Oh, Ahjumma. What brings you here?"

"I've come to send you home. You've been holed up in here for the last hours."

I look around my classroom table, seeing all the papers scattered around. "Yeah, I haven't been able to come up with good ideas."

"________, you still have a lot of time."

"You know I don't like to push things for time." I stand up from my chair and give her a quick hug. "Are you getting off work?"

"Yes, I just came to make sure that you are going to show up tomorrow." She takes my arm and leads me out the door away from my sketches.

"I promised I'd come, although I don't know why, I don't even work in that department."

"Just take it as a free dinner, ________."

I laugh. "I'm not going to say no to free dinner. Where are you taking me?"

"You are going to get off work now. Your dark circles have gotten deeper. I can't have that happen to my beautiful daughter-in-law."

I snicker at her exaggeration. I had seen myself and there were no dark circles. "Ahjumma, I need my handbag before I can leave."

Flustered, but not showing it she turns me around and together we walk back to my room.
"Have you been composing again?" She asks me looking at the grand piano and moves to close the lid for me.

"Not really composing just practicing."

Having gotten my bag, I also gather the sketches scattered around, putting them in a pile on my desk and make my way over to Minhyuk's mother who was waiting for me at the door.

Locking my little classroom which has become more like an office, I turn to her. "Ahjumma, you should go home now."

"I am. I'm not as crazy as you to work overtime." After all these years she still hasn't changed and I know it was driving Minhyuk crazy.

"I'll see you tomorrow then." While her car was parked up front because she was the director, mine was parked in the underground garage. Thank god for designated parking places for employees, or I would have to fight for them early in the morning here, too.

On my way to the car, I check my phone which I put on silent during working hours and give a call to Lee.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's me." I press the elevator button. "Are you still at the salon?"

"Yeah, but I'm leaving soon. Want to have a drink?" That's the first thing she always asks me when it's Friday night.

"Yeah, I'll meet you there." I step into the elevator. "The line might disconnect I'm inside the elevator now."

"Alright, see you there."

~ ~ ~

"________-ah, over here!" As soon I enter the little place we go to a lot, I hear Lee calling for me. Have her eyes been glued to the door all this time?

Sitting down next to her I give her a hug. "You look tired."

"Do I really?" I look at her face. "You do, too."

"I never thought we'd turn into workaholics." Getting the soda bottle I pour her a shot. Yes, with drinking we mean this because Lee and I are terrible drinkers, so soda it is. Even the owner already knows us well enough.

"What have you been up to so late at the salon."

She puts some meat in , chewing with no restraint. "A lot of people have been coming to get their hair done. Probably because a lot of idol groups are having their comeback."

"Or maybe it's because you're amazing, Lee." I touch my own hair. "I love my hair color by the way."

"I told you it was going to look great, should have trusted me from the beginning." When I had come into her salon for lunch one day, instead of having lunch she had sat me down and spent the entire day just coloring my hair.

"I'll do so from now on. Just don't go blonde." I worry my hair will fall out.

"Blonde doesn't look good on you." She explains bluntly. "Your hair is too thin for that. I'll end up destroying your hair. But don't worry.''

"Thanks?" I have some food myself. "What has Joon been up to? He's been away from social life for a while."

"He?" She rolls her eyes. "He's just like us, holed up in his work place working on choreography."

"Ya, the three of us really have changed in terms of work ethic. I never thought he'd be like this."

"Yeah, I guess once adulthood hits, things change. How is the house selling going by the way?"

"I'm not sure, I should probably call Minhyuk. He's dealing with it while I'm gone." Minhyuk also has been very busy over in Japan, he rarely responds right after I send him a message.

"You two should just date, he loves you." I snicker thinking of how Minhyuk's mother had called me daughter-in-law today. I tell Lee. "See? Everyone is rooting for you two. That boy has liked you since his birth."

"I don't think that's a good idea." I smile at the thought how he had changed ever since he found out I had moved to Japan years ago. "I'm very good by myself."

"Talking about that, how is your brother? Have you visited him recently?"

"Yeah, I visited him last weekend." I was glad to see that he was adjusting well. "He's worried as always."

"He has good reason to. You need a man in your life."

"I have."

She gives me a hopeful look but when I grin she rolls her eyes. "Bobo doesn't count. He's a dog, I'm talking about a human being."

"I don't need a human being in my life." And I was being honest. "I'm too busy for that."

Lee sighs. "Will you ever get married?"

I wiggle my eyes does at her. "Apropos marriage."

"Don't." She holds her hand out, palm up.

I laugh at her expression. "Why? You've been dating for how many years? Joon should be going down on his knee."

"________, I'm too young for that." Like the drama queen that she is, she flips her hair away from her shoulder, or as much as she could since she has a bob. "I'm not getting tied down any time soon."

"That sounds like something Minhyuk would say."

Now, it's her time to wiggle her eyebrows. "I'm sure he wouldn't mind getting tied down by you."

I grimace and push her shoulder gently. "Ya, he's like a little brother, will you stop."

"Ouch, don't let him hear that." Much drama again.

"That's the thing though, he's heard it many times before."

"Well, if it isn't him then do you even find men attractive anymore." I burst out laughing at her encouraging expression. "I could set you up on a blind date."

"No, please, don't." I take her hand, her bad one, and squeeze it gently. "Don't worry, time is still on my side, and hey, who knows maybe I'll fall in love even before this year is over."

"Let's hope so because I really don't like seeing you living alone with only Bobo."

"Bobo is great and protective."

Skeptic, she peers at me with an eyebrow raised. "Bobo would kiss a burglar. At least you live in a good apartment complex."

"Yeah, I'm really thankful for Jieun-Eonni for arranging everything." It's been months since I've returned and I still haven't properly thanked my brother's girlfriend. "I should treat her to a meal. But she's always so busy."

"Working at a music show is really time consuming." I watch her thinking about something for a moment. "I'm going to be at a lot of music shows, too."

"Is someone from the company having a comeback?"

"Yeah, but I can't say who." She pretends to zip her lips.

I smile. "Don't forgot to eat then, Joon will murder anyone who is the cause of you losing weight."

"Now, we just need to find you someone who will do that for you."

I roll my eyes at her smirk. "Isn't there anything else we can talk about?"

"No, you're so boring working at the theater." She bursts out laughing at my offended expression. "Just kidding."

I laugh with her. It was always great to catch up with her.

— — — — —

"Very good job, kids." I clap as we finish up the vocal lesson. Hearing my praise, the kids smile and turn to talk amongst each other. Even though they were no older than kindergarten age, they help me move the chairs back to one wall.

Ending the class, I wave goodbye to them until everyone has left the classroom and soon after I head to lunch myself but that's when I see one of my students sitting on the visitor bench right next to the door by herself.

"Sohyun-ah, what are you still doing here?" Class had ended half an hour ago. "Where is your mother?"

"I don't know." She was pouting sadly. "Eomma, isn't here."

Frowning because this hadn't been the first time for her mother to be late, I sit down next to her. "Are you hungry?"

Sohyun looks up at me with her big eyes. "Will you please wait with me?"

"Yes, of course. You should have just come back in. Next time, don't wait alone OK?" I stand up after she gives me a small nod and hold my hand out for her. "While waiting, let's get you some food."

Placing her smaller hand into mine, she nods and jumps down the bench, more energetic now. Because I was wearing heels today, her arms were straining to reach me.

I bend down and carry her up onto my hip. "Let's go."
Walking over to the elevator, I reach out to press the button, when she does too. Smiling, remembering how I used to love pushing any buttons I bend my knee so she can reach it herself.

"Can I call you Eonni when we are not in class?"

"Sure." I give her a warm smile. "I don't like being called teacher anyway. It makes me sound so old."
Finally I hear her giggle, the sound so sweet to the ears.

The elevator doors open and it seems like everyone is on their way somewhere because it's almost full. Pulling Sohyun closer so she doesn't end up kicking anyone, I step in and turn around.

"Why are there so many people here?" She sounds scared so I rub her back comfortingly.

"We'll be out in a bit, Sohyun-ah."

And true to my words the elevator opens to the floor where the canteen is revealing someone familiar.
"________-ah." Minhyuk who should be in Japan was standing right in front of me.

I step out and give him a look. It didn't go by me how he had called me by my name only.

"What are you doing up here?"

"We're having lunch, Sohyunie and I."

Minhyuk makes a thinking sound not really listening to my words, he was rather focused on the 5-year-old in my arm.

I look at Sohyun whose arm was firmly around my neck. "That's one of my students, we're waiting for her mother to arrive. We are having some delicious lunch, right?"

I nudge her side, making her giggle. "Eonni is the best."

Minhyuk holds out his hand. "Let's go then, I'm hungry, too. I'm Minhyuk by the way, you can call me Oppa if you want."

"Ahjussi, I don't just call anyone Oppa." I stifle the laugh from coming out. Ouch, Ahjussi, that's got to hurt his ego.

I start walkingm ignoring Minhyuk's bewildered expression. My priority was to get some food into this little heart breaker.

~ ~ ~

After lunch, I had asked Minhyuk about his stay here and he had told me that he will be returning to Japan in a week. The magazine he works for is doing a spread on idols in musicals, hence the reason why he's here.

"You don't have to show me. I work here, I've seen it."

"You don't have anything to do anyway." He had insisted on showing us the auditorium which is where the interview will be held.

I shift Sohyun in my arms. She had refused to be carried by him. It had made him sulk.
He opens the door to the stage and I step in seeing a bunch of photographers setting up their equipment in the seating area. I could spot Minhyuk's mother at once, she just emits that intense authoritative aura.

Carefully, I walk down the steps on the side of the stage and walk over to her, her eyes brightening when she sees her son with me together.
"Look at you two." Oh, no. I just now realized how we must look to her with Sohyun in my arms. Oh, no.

"You didn't tell me yesterday about Minhyuk being in Korea." I begin defensively.

"It was supposed to be a surprise later tonight." Someone calls for her so she excuses herself.

"So?"

I glance at Minhyuk after checking to see that Sohyun had fallen asleep on my shoulder. "What?"

"Was it a good surprise?"

"Nope." I always feel bad for being so blunt but I've seen the hope in his eyes whenever I'm not.

"You're so mean, ________."

I frown at him. "I'm still older than you."

"Oh, you noticed?"

"Of course, I did. I just didn't want to say anything in front of Sohyunie." She was sliding down my hip, so I move her up a bit. "How is the apartment by the way.''

"Oh, that. Someone is interested." He takes his phone out and seconds later I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket. "I just send you the information."

"Thanks, I'll have to find some time to fly over and wrap things up." I look around at all the people. "What is everyone waiting for?"

"I think the artists have to come in first."

I spot someone I know and wave at them. I had worked a short amount of time at the same magazine. "Your whole team is here? What for?"

"We have a shoot in a few days, that's why."

The door I came in through opens and surprisingly I recognize some of the artists as idols.
Just then my phone vibrates. It's the pocket that Sohyun is leaning against. Minhyuk seeing me struggle, slips his hand into my pocket and hands me my phone.

"Thank you." I take the call. "Hello?"
Listening intently, I realize that it's Sohyun's mother and signal to Minhyuk that I'll be leaving first. "Yes, I'm on my way."

Walking back up the stairs, I try to balance having a child in one arm with not dropping the phone between my shoulder and my ear but as I feel it sliding, I quickly grab it. Having no free hand to open the door with, I turn to push back against it with my back and almost drop my phone when my eyes come in contact with someone familiar again.

It's been years but I could still recognize him like it was just yesterday when I last saw him. He hasn't changed much. His visuals are still as boyish and youthful. His aura still as striking. He just looks more mature now.

The realization that Sohyun's mother was still talking on the phone brings me back to the here and now. I lower my eyes and bow my head politely, pushing out through the door and away from those memorable eyes.

Only after I have walked away do I realize that my heart has been beating faster than normal, the pounding heavy in my ears. It's unnerving how even after all this time, just seeing him again could cause any reaction from me.

 

 

 

— — — 

wow, it took me the entire day to reach this point of posting the first pt. huuuuuuh I'm out of practice haha but it feels nice to be back in the game.

I don't even know what to say, as always at the end of an update I find myself being really tired because I was in front of the screen the whole day...

hmm.... I hope you liked it? lol I really, I'm so out of the loop, I don't know how to do this, I still need to prepare AO3 and tumblr...and tumblr I think is the hardest.. so... excuse me while I go back to work... byebye