Boundaries

like a butterfly~

"I heard you had a guy stay overnight at your place." I almost spit my food out at Sungmin's sudden question.

"What?" I cough and look at him in horror. We had been talking about my brother. So, where is this coming from?

"I heard a guy slept over at your apartment."

My eyes widen when I realize he was talking about Jungkook. "Where did you hear that from?"

"Don't change the subject, ________."

I refrain from rolling my eyes. "I'm not changing the subject."

"Then tell me. is it true?"

"If you even believed for a second that wherever you got this information from is inaccurate then you wouldn't have asked me." Today is just a ty day. Everything appears ten times more annoying.

"Don't evade the question."

This time I do roll my eyes. "I'm not."

Sungmin puts his spoon down and regards me with an inquiring expression. "Is it true?"

"Yes." I confirm not feeling guilty at all. "But it's not what you think."
Why did I feel like explaining myself even though a, it's none of his business, b, I don't have to, c, it's only my business and d, it's none of his business.

"Who is he?" Yeah, definitely not going to happen.

"You don't need to know that." I say truthfully, again. It's honestly not his concern at all. "All you need to know is nothing happened." Literally nothing happened, but even that is none of his business.

I thought that this would ease his mind but it seems like he either did not trust my word or he wasn't listening at all.
"________," his voice stern, he looks chastising. "A drunk man stayed over, I'm just making sure you're ok."

"I'm ok." At least I was before he decided to confront me about something that he shouldn't be worrying about. "Why are you so worried about this anyway? As a friend you should trust my word."

Something flashes in his eyes, but it's gone before I can put my finger on it. "I'm just watching out for you."

"And I appreciate that, but this goes too far."

"A man stayed over at your apartment, I don't think asking about this goes too far."

Now, it's my turn to put my chopsticks down, my patience snapping. How many times is he going to repeat this? I get it, I was there.
"Yes, but it was by choice. I let him stay over. Not that I need to justify myself because frankly it's none of your business and—"

"Your brother asked me to look after you."

"You do that by asking my doorman about me?" The more I think about it the more I start to get upset and Sungmin could clearly see that because he backs down but it's too late. "I don't think that my brother intended for you to snoop around where you shouldn't, especially because you're my friend."

"I'm sorry, I really did mean no harm, I'm just concerned."

"And you were doing a great job before you decided to question me about my private life even though I already assured you everything is fine." I stand up pissed. "Thank you for coming but next time please don't come with the intention of inquiring me. I'm not someone who you get to do that with."

Without waiting for his response I stand up and return the barely touched food, having lost all appetite. Instead of going to the elevator I step into the nearest restroom in hopes to find my escape.
Back then Lee and I would call this our safe haven, we would talk and cry in here, feeling safe enough to do so. It's like we were cut off from everyone else.
Now with me by myself all I can do is stare at my dull reflection and pity myself.

The day is coming up soon and all I can do is imagine how it will feel like to be truly alone for the first time. My head drops and I can feel the suppressed emotions pushing through.

Work. I'm at work.

After a few more minutes of self meditating, I look at myself one more time before exiting the restroom. Yeah, today is definitely not a good day.

As I focus, I recognize Jungkook at once even though he is across the hall, coming from the canteen and it's not hard to miss Yein walking by his side.
I hope they weren't anywhere near where they might have heard. Or anyone that I knew.

In place of going down to my office directly, I use the stairs, avoiding the elevator because that's where they would be most likely.

I'm always want to just run away.

~ ~ ~

"I'll give you a few days off." Ahjumma offers with concern.

"Thank you, Ahjumma, but that won't be needed." I say with an exhausted smile. "It's also really biased."

"Let's not worry about that, I just want to see you healthy." Her frown line deepens. "You look sick almost. Have you been getting enough sleep?" I look at my Americano guiltily. She sighs. "Seriously, take a few days off, the whole wees even or go on a trip."

"Ahjumma," I take her hand and squeeze it softly. "I'm alright, stop worrying. I'm still young, a few loose screws can be fixed later."

"But you shouldn't even have to endure loose anythings." She murmurs the next part. "You already had to deal with so much."

It's touching to hear her words and it makes me feel guilty for reacting like that with Sungmin earlier. "Thank you, Ahjumma, for everything."

She looks up at me and pulls me in for a hug. Don't cry. Don't cry. "Stay strong, the next few days will be hard, just know that I'm here. You're not alone, never will be."

Tears start falling silently. "Thank you."

Hearing my voice, she pulls away and softly wipes away the tears. "Don't cry. Everything is ok, you're doing ok and everyone is proud of you."
I nod my head and sniff, forcing the tears back. Just then someone knocks on the door and I quickly turn my back to the door.

"Miss Chairwoman, there is an urgent call from one of the sponsors."

"Ok, I'll get it in a minute." I ear the door close. "Go home, take the rest of the day off."

"No, no, I still have a lot to do." I take her two hands into mine and try to smile. "I'll be fine, thank you."

"You never listen." Defeated she tells me to call her for dinner before I leave the administrative offices.

Enjoying the emptiness and silence of the elevator I relax in my usual corner while hoping that it will stay like that.
Unfortunately I had no such luck because as soon as the lift stops at the next floor, the car gets flooded.
And of course, there they are, Jungkook and Yein standing at the very front. It's like fate had fun shoving them in my face at all possibilities. Why do I sound to bitter? That's not right.

Everyone's destination appears to be the parking garage because no one moves when the elevator stops on the first floor. That's me, though. Guess, I don't have a choice now.

"Excuse me." Jungkook looks over his shoulder but I keep my head low and move out as soon as I get enough space without touching either of them.

Just then my phone rings, my life lord and savior. "Lee, I don't think I've ever been so happy to hear your voice."

"I feel the same way." She responds without delay. "About my own voice."

For the first time today I laugh out genuinely. "Ah, thank you, I really needed that."

"Are you alright?" Everyone seems to catch on pretty quickly. "Do you want me to sleep over tonight?"

"Nah, it's ok. It's not that terrible of a day, just a handful of nerve wrecking meetings."

"Hooray." She cheers with clear sarcasm.

"Yeah, hooray." I take a sip of my Americano. "Anyway, why did you call?"

"I just wanted to ask if I can borrow your car for one more day."

"Yeah, sure, I don't really need it. Taking the subway is surprisingly relaxing."

"You're weird." She states. "Only you would say that."

I laugh again and instead of going into my classroom, I sit down on the bench right next to it. "Have you found the right dress, yet?"

"No, you?"

"Nope." A second of silence and then laughter on both sides. "Ya, the dinner is in two days and we both have not figured out . We're so screwed."

Well, actually only she needed to look dashing, I'm just someone helping out a good friend but she doesn't know that, yet. The only thing she knows is that the two of us will be having a girls night out at a beautiful restaurant. If everything goes well then she'll be engaged by the end of that night.
Joon had set up everything and even though it wasn't for me, I feel excited for my two best friends.

"Let's go look for yours together." I propose and twist on the bench facing one of the paintings.

"I hate shopping, you know that... There are.. people... and clothes... which means stress."

"I feel the same way." I yawn and stretch my back. "But I want to help you, since you hate it more than I do. Well, actually I only hate shopping for myself."

"Yeah.." Lee sounds like she is deep in thought. "Hey, what about you?"

"Me?" Out of tiredness, I twist my neck feeling like something is stuck and jump when I see Jungkook standing next to me. "Aish, you scared me."

"What? I didn't do anything." Lee sounds confused.

"Ah, not you, Lee." I turn back around and watch him taking a seat. "Anyway, let's meet up tomorrow."

She groans and it makes me smile. "Ah, why do you have to be so productive."

"Someone has to be." With him next to me, it makes me wonder why he came here. I get his attention and motions with my hands 'piano'? But Jungkook shakes his head.

"Ya, are you listening?"

"Sorry, what do you say?" I focus on Lee.

"I said, I have to go." I hear her sighing. "I'll get you from work tomorrow."

"Hm, alright. Don't crash my car." I joke and hang up after her ironic laughing. I smile at the screen for a few seconds. It seems Lee did manage to lighten my mood. Only her, only her.

"That's the first real smile I've seen today."

I face Jungkook with surprise. "On me?"

"Yeah." Why does he look so somber?

I don't know what to say to that, because I had hoped for no one to see this side of me.

"Let's go." Jungkook pushes to his feed but I can only look up at him.

"Where?"

"I want to take you somewhere." He peers at his watch. "You're off, right?"

"Yes, but..." The unfinished documents flash through my mind. "There are things I have to finish up before I leave."

"Is it due tomorrow?" I shake my head no. "Then come, you'll like it, trust me."

"Oppa, I—" Yein, Yein, Yein. "I can't."

"Why?" He sits back down, his eyes kept on me. "Is it because of your boyfriend?"

I snort very unladylike. "What?"

"Earlier..." He really was being serious, which makes me snort again. Sungmin and boyfriend, no not happening. Ever. "No boyfriend?"

Shaking my head, I realize that Jungkook must have been thinking that I had one this entire time. That's probably why he felt so comfortable and almost unconcerned to be talking to me. If that will change now?

"Then, please, come with me?"

My lips twitch when I hear the tone. "You, using aegyo on your own free will?"

"Is it working?" His eyes sure are.

Yein, Yein Yein. For some reason, though, the voice in my head begins to get quieter. Not good. 
"A little." But I stand up anyway. Truth be told, I'm starting to hate the sight of my own working place. It's a little delayed but bound to happen. I go into my office to gather my belongings. "Oppa, where are we going?"

"Some place you will really like." Jungkook guides the way towards the elevator. "Did you drive your car here?"

"No." Then a thought comes to mind. "Ah, wait a moment. Is it going to be ok?"

"What?" Jungkook shakes his hair away of his face.

"Oppa and I," I'm not sure how to voice my worries, so I just point between us. "Your fans..."

"Ah..." Since he doesn't deny my concerns, seems like it wouldn't be good to be seen together. Figures. "Don't worry, there shouldn't be a lot of people there at this time, also it's dark."

"Oppa."

"Why do you look so frightened?"

"You're not taking me to a haunted house are you?" I scoot away from him in the elevator and get ready to bolt. "Actually, don't answer that, you're too good of an actor."

It makes him laugh. A fluttery feeling spreads in my stomach. "I said you would like it and unless you like haunted houses then you shouldn't be worried."

"Why don't I believe you?"

Jungkook moves over to me and taps my nose with a cute smile. "Have I ever lied to you?"

"No." I hope I'm the only one who is able to hear my pounding heart.

"Then that's your answer." The elevator doors slide open and I follow him to his car and get or rather climb in after he opens the passenger's side for me. So, he did get an SUV.

"Let's go." Somehow his cheery voice and enthusiasm makes me giggle. "See, you're already feeling much better. You should get out more."

"Unfortunately, my job doesn't let me." I sigh, bittersweet. Jungkook turns the heater on before backing out. "Maybe, I should have become a free lancer instead. Travel a bit more."

"You can still travel, ________." Jungkook maneuvers around the parking garage to find the exit. "You're young."

"Traveling alone is not fun, though." I relax in my seat and yawn. "Lee is busy, Joon is not an option, my bother.... There is no one really. Well, I guess I could go with Bobo but traveling with a pet isn't really easy, I guess. Maybe, I should just travel South Korea."
I was kind of talking to myself now, which is why I don't notice Jungkook stifling a laugh until I look over. "Don't laugh at my misery."

"I'm not." A long breath comes out, the laugh he had held in. "You're just so cute. Are you feeling lonely?"

I cross my arms at his teasing. "I'm not lonely, I have Bobo, my one and only."
The sky is clear, the stars visible. I stare up from my side of the window. "Did you really think that Sungmin-Oppa is my boyfriend?"

"Yes." Jungkook says after a while. "Honestly, at first, I thought it was Minhyuk."

"What?" After hitting my forehead against the glass, I twist around to gape at him. "Minhyukie?"

Eyes shifting away from the streets, Jungkook looks at my forehead. "Are you ok?"

"Ah, yes." I rub on the spot and start talking to myself again. "Minhyukie? No wonder Ahjumma keeps calling me daughter-in-law. If you thought so too then that must mean something." I start to panic, I really didn't need people to think that I am dating the chairwoman's son.

"________-ie." My heart stumbles when I hear him use the endearment. Slowly, I face him and see him smirking ever so slightly. It's more of lazy smile than anything, but the effect not at all lessening. "What's so terrible about Minhyuk? He seems like a nice kid."

I know he's enjoying this, he never really liked Minhyuk for obvious reasons.
"You said it, 'kid'. Also, it's kinda like," I have to think about that for second. "You dating Bang PD-nim's daughter."

Jungkook's smirk drops. "Yeah, ok. I see where you're going with this."

"See?" I don't even know if his boss has kids. "Still Minhyukie would have been my unlikeliest choice."

"It's your ring." Jungkook reveals all of a sudden. "That's what initially made me think that."

"My... ring?" Oh, my mother's ring. "This?"

He he nods without looking at me. "Even though it's not on the left hand... I still thought..."

"Ah," my head snaps his way when I finally understand. "You thought I am married." Somehow that's a horrifying thought. "All because of this ring? How many people think the same?"

"I feel like I'm giving you one crisis after another."

I glare at him. "You are."

Again, he laughs widely and pats my knee over the console. "Let's stop here before you murder me."

"Can I hit you for teasing me?"

"Ya." His looks over briefly. "I wasn't teasing you. You asked me, I responded."
Jungkook is being correct, of course. Still, I wanted to hit him
"Alright, alright." He gives in when he stops at another red light and holds out his wrist. "Just once."

"Really?" I was taken aback, this would hurt and I hadn't meant it that way.

"Yeah, go for it." He pulls back the sleeves to reveal his forearm. "But please, take your ring off first."

Hesitant, I bend his wrist back and sneak a glance at him. "Are you sure?"

"Hm, it's the only chance you'll get, make it good."
I take off the ring and slip it onto the other hand's finger. In one swift motion, I use my index and middle finger to slap down on his wrist and wince with him. "Omo, sorry, sorry."

My fingers wrap around his wrist, I feel guilty in an instant. Jungkook on the other hand, just pats my knee again. "It's nothing really, I've had worse."

"Are you saying I'm weak?" I joke which makes him smile. I notice that some cloth is stuck in the glove box and move to fix it when I remember how this is not my car.

"It's ok, you can open it."

When I open it the first thing I see are the many albums stacked in there. "Oh, GOT7." I take it out and smile. "This album was really nice."

"You got it, too?"

I nod and look at the other ones. One of Bangtan's. "I got the other version."

Jungkook glances over. "You bought our album?"

"Yes." Flipping through the photobook, I stop at one of his pages. "Blond really suits you Oppa."

"Is that so?"

"Yeah." I wish I could go to this place, it's so beautiful. "Wuah, I really want to go there. Where did you shoot this?"

"It was the Netherlands and also Germany." He converses easily while driving. "We had a small vacation and shot these before returning."

"Wuah, really handsome." It's the first time for me to see these imagines that differ completely from the one that I had bought.

"Thank you."

I snicker at his smug tone. "Sorry, but I'm talking about Namjoon-Oppa. Yoongi-Oppa, also not bad, not bad."

Jungkook doesn't seem to be bothered by my teasing because he just stops at the next red light and leans over the control, way too close.
"Don't you like my blond hair?" His eyes are shining as he tries this best to make me squirm. "It hurt a lot."

"But it's not the first time." I know he had it lightened before, just not to that extent.

"You're right." His eyes flash to the side briefly and then land on mine once more. "But do you like it?"

"Yes." I blurt out without noticing at first and then I gasp when I realize my mistake and cover my face with the album, embarrassed.

"Ah, that's how it is."

I lower the album enough so I can see him. "Only because you were fishing for it."

"Aha," one eye brow arched, he finally pulls away. "So, if I decide to go blond again you wouldn't mind?"

"No." I say nonchalantly while avoiding his gaze. "It's your scalp that will be in pain, not mine."

Jungkook's laugh fills the car, spreading the atmosphere of warmth and happiness.
Something fluttery spreads and even though I try to keep it locked away, I can't deny the fact that he once more succeeded in making me feel again.



— — —
ok guys let's see how long it will take me to think of a title~.....*waiting meme sound*...... ok I found one, a super basic one, so vague it could mean anything and it 'only' took me 15 minutes hahahhah

eeeehmmmm wow I have nothing to talk about.... anyone gonna watch sma? what time is it? I hope its not as early as golden disk was....

have a woooonderful day or night!

P.S. someone on tumblr just reminded me: please vote for BTS at the Shorty Awards, it's super quick and easy and you can vote everyday!