Seven

Lotto

“Alright ladies, that's it for practice. Remember the bus leaves at 2. If you have classes you'll be excused for the day, that does not excuse you from your work. We'll have practice here at 11 since you won't be able to practice until 30 minutes before the match. JV you won't have to go because you've already had your match. Lucky for you guys, so you better be out there cheering on the football team as VB reps!”
“Wait coach! Saturday is the homecoming dance.” Bi Na yelled.
“Yes Bi Na, thanks for pointing that out. Varsity is more likely to miss the dance.” The coach spoke.
“But that's not fair! I just bought a new dress just for the dance.” Bi Na pouted.
“Practice dismissed. Bi Na and Aubrey i want to talk to both of you.” coach said.
The other members of the team headed towards their belongings in the bleachers while Bi Na and Aubrey stayed behind.
“Why did you need me to stay as well?” Aubrey asked.
“Aubrey you're the captain. This is your team, and you decide the best way to ensure your team's victory. So i leave the decision to you. Do you want Bi Na to play Saturday or not?”
Aubrey looked shocked. She had never been responsible for deciding who plays in the matches. Aubrey looked over at Bi Na.
“What's more important, a dress or your uniform?”
Bi Na froze, not having expect that question.
“Ummmmm…..”
“What role do you play on this team?”
“My role is to make sure we win, of course . That's everyone's role isn't it.”
Aubrey raised her eyebrow and stared at Bi Na.
“You won't be playing this match. I don't think you should play in any match until you know your role, but that's for coach decide not me . Congrats you can go to your stupid dance, happy homecoming.” Aubrey said looking to her coach for confirmation.
“I think Aubrey as a good point. You're on varsity, so knowing your role is important to set a good example for JV. You can come to practice, but you won't be playing any matches in the meantime.”
“That's not fair!” Bi Na yelled causing the remaining members of the team to look their way. “
“Bi Na, lower your voice.” coach said sternly.
“Coach this isn't fair. How long is meantime for? You can't possibly think anyone is good enough to be a fill in for me.”
“Aubrey, it's your call who replaces Bi Na for the meantime.”
Aubrey looked at her coach with a raised eyebrow before walking over to the bleachers with a jersey in hand.
“Hey.”
“Oh hey Aubrey!”
“Got a minute?”
“Yeah, my sister still isn't here yet.”
“Okay… Are you going to the dance Saturday?”
“Nope. It's not really my thing and i don't have anyone to go with anyway. So froyo and Frozen it shall be”
Aubrey chuckled,before handing Haeyeon the jersey and get up to grab her things.
“What's this?”
“Congrats. You just made varsity. Gym at 11, bus leaves at 2.” Aubrey said walking out the gym, not seeing the look of disbelief wash over the members in the gym as their coach just smirked.

□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

(WOO! Look at him! WOO! Like he used to be my man crush when I was younger... besides JT And Jason David Frank..... yeah..... soooo..... back to the fic....)

“....... Maybe i should have brought you with me to practice, Taemin.”
“Why? This is the most fun i've had all week.”
Shinee had been in practice learning the dance for a song on their repackaged album they would release soon. They also had ended their view promotions the previous week and would start and new promotion in about a week.
Taemin had come in hopes to hang out with Aubrey since Shinee got done with their schedule early, but being forgetful, forgot Aubrey had practice to attend.
“Okay, well i'm gonna take a shower and then we can go.” Aubrey spoke grabbing her things and heading to the showers.
“Okay since she's gone we can talk about this again.”
“You two are really going to go through with this?” Emily asked looking at Taemin and Reign.
“As her best friend, i should know what's going on. She's there for me whenever i need her, i wanna be there for her when she needs me. She obviously has unresolved feeling towards whatever's going on and i want to know how to help.”
“Taemin you can help her by just being by her side.”
“That's not enough for me. Just being by her side isn't enough. How can i stand beside her and not know how to help her? That would make me useless Emily. I don't want to be useless because she far from useless to me. She listens to every problem i have. She helps me when i need it, she doesn't question it either, she just does it. She stayed up with me when i was trying to make my album, even though she had class that day and had classes the next day.She even takes care of me when i get sick. What kind of friend would i be if i didn't do this for her? As much as she's done for me this is the very least i can do for her.”
Emily and Reign looked at Taemin. Taemin and Aubrey did have a special bond. Ever since the two had met. At first Aubrey wanted nothing to do with Taemin, or Shinee for that matter, but Emily constantly brought Aubrey around Shinee. Eventually Aubrey got along with everyone and her and Taemin have been inseparable ever since. To others it would appear as though Taemin and Aubrey were a couple but they're really good friends and skinship wasn't foreign. At times the friendship between the two could rival that of Kihyun’s and Aubrey’s, and everyone knew how close those two are.
“Okay so then i want you both to tell me one thing. What do you plan to do once you find whatever it is you're looking for?”
Reign and Taemin just looked at Emily. They hadn't thought of what they'd do after they found something. The only thing they thought of was finding out what Aubrey was hiding from them.
“She's not exactly going to be happy that you've been snooping through her things.”
“She might not be happy at first, but what if we can help her get closure. Then maybe she'd be more trusting, more open. Maybe she'd smile more. If i can help her become happy, then I'll be okay with her being upset with me.”
“Tae….”
“It's okay Em. I'd rather her be upset with me than habor unresolved feelings. I want to protect her.”
“Protect who?” Aubrey asked walking back into the room.
Taemin was silent. If he opened his mouth he would be more likely to spill the truth to her, he really hated lying to her, but what could he do.
“Reign was just helping him runs some lines for an audition he has. You know how Tae is, adlibbing isn't really his thing.” Emily said covering Reign and Taemin.
“Yeah it isn't. He can barely keep secrets. And his lying is just as bad.” Aubrey laughed, referring to Taemin opening his mouth about Emily dating.

 

 

 

“Alright! Let's go i'm starving!” Aubrey said, pulling Taemin.
“Alright. Alright.”
“Have her back at a decent time Tae. And for god's sake, don't drink.”
“It was one time!” Taemin telled. He had went to Switzerland once and didn't know the drink he ordered had alcohol in it.
“And none for you either. Last thing i want is to spend my free day nursing your hangover.”
“It was one time! How was i supposed to know the punch was spiked!?”
“Which was why before the party i told you not to drink anything you don't open yourself.”
“Excuse me for going with the flow in the heat of the moment.” Aubrey rolled her eyes.
Instead of replying back, Emily instead just pushed the two out of the room.
Taemin looked back to see a nod from Reign before the door shut completely.


□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

“Come on Kihyun!”
“No. Ask her yourself if you want to know so bad.” Kihyun said walking into his shared room.
“You know she won't tell us. What this is, she's been hiding it for years.” Reign crossed her arms as she sat on one of the three beds in the room.
“Years? Come on Ki. Give the girl a break, nothing should be held a secret for years.” one of Kihyun’s roommates said taking his headphones off.
“Not you too Joo.” Kihyun said rolling his eyes.
“Its way better than staring at this black page of lyrics.”
“Still having trouble with it.” Kihyun asked receiving a nod from Jooheon.
“What is it?” Regin asked walking over to Jooheon.
“Its supposed to be our debut song, but i can't think of anything.”
“Can i?” Reign asked referring to the headphones. Jooheon handed Reign his headphones and started the track again.
“Your tempos too fast. Id say you should slow it down a tad.”
“Thanks...” Jooheon said looking up to Reign.
“No problem. Since your not telling me anything I'll take my leave. Remember 7 pm sharp. I want to walk in at exactly 7:15 with my kingdom looking prim and proper. Make sure your date is dress nicely as well. We can't have anyone ruining my chances of homecoming queen.”
“Date, you said nothing about having a date!”
“It's homecoming! Of course you'll have a date.”
“Do you?”
“Of course! How can a queen be a queen without her king?”
“You dont have a date do you?”
“Nope!” Reign said causing Kihyun and Jooheon to laugh.
“If you want, i'll be your date.” Jooheon offered.
“You would?”
“I would.”
Reign bent down to meet Jooheon’s eyes.
“Alright , what's your game?”
Jooheon’s eyes widened. “There's no game.”
“We literally just met and no one plays this game better then me. So tell me, what's your aim?”
“......fine….sing with me…”
“Excuse me?” Reign asked trying to regain her balance.
“You heard me. In exchange for being your date, you'll sing a song with me.”
“Hmmmmmm. Deal, but you better not be terrible. Make sure you come with Kihyun then.” Reign said walking out the room, shutting the door behind her. As soon as she left the dorm and was a safe distance away, she let out the breath she had been holding. She had just found herself a date and a damn attractive one at that.
She pulled out her phone.
“Umma~~”
“You only use that tone when you want something…”
“I need you to come shopping with me…”
“Reign…. We just went shopping yesterday for your homecoming dress.”
“That was before i got a date…” Reign pouted into the phone.
“Wait, you actually got a date?”
“Yes. So will you please please please go shopping with me?”
“.... I'll meet you at our store. I have to gather the children.”
“I don't think Taekwoon oppa is going to like that you referred to him as a child.”
“But he loves me too much to hurt me for saying it. See you soon dear. Hyuk! Get off the table! Did you not learn when you broke your elbow?” Hakyeon yelled before the call finally ended.
Reign laughed as she walked to her car, heading to her and Hakyeon’s favorite store.

□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

 

“Look minne!” Aubrey said pointing to the street performers.
The two walk over to the performers and watch, Aubrey even putting money in the jar off on the side. One of the performers noticed Taemin to join. Taemin politely declined but was pushed by Aubrey to join. Aubrey watched Taemin in his element. He wasn't a dance machine for nothing. When he always eluded happiness when he danced, it was his passion. Although she never showed it, she envied Taemin.
Taemin was doing what he loved. He work extremely hard to get where he was. He had the drive to make it. Something she was lacking lately. Ever since her talk with her brother, she had been second guessing her choices in life. She had never really wanted to going into business but since her brother decided to be a singer, he parents had made it very clear that she would have a practical job to support herself. She remembered the time she was grounded for skipping her tutoring session to dance and sing with Kihyun and so other friends. He father was disappointed in her he wouldn't talk to her for a week. Her mother, well her mother gave her a reality check. She'd never be like her brother. Her mother told her that the most she'd amount to was a normal life, marrying well and having kids, basically pleasing the family. Needless to say that she cried as the the people that were supposed to her parents, her supporters, tore down her dreams. Kihyun was the only one that knew what had happened between Aubrey and her parents. Taekwoon was moved into the dorms then and the only other person she'd tell was by her side anymore.
Aubrey shook her head to rid herself of the thoughts. She was out with Taemin, she wouldn't let her pass ruin their first outing together in a long while.
Aubrey started to pay attention to Taemin’s performance when she noticed two figures walking on the other side.
Without noticing, her feet were leading her, making her follow after the two.
They were holding hands and smiling. The girl raised herself, kissing the boy on his cheek. Aubrey felt her heart clenched at the scene.
“Aubrey! There you are. You just walked off.” Taemin said catching his breath.
“It was…. I saw….” Aubrey said pointing to where she had been looking.
“You can't just walk off like that. It's dang- why are you crying? Did i make you cry? I didn't mean to make you cry, i just worry about you.” Taemin said moving to hug Aubrey.
“Sorry i mean too… i just thought i saw….” Aubrey trailed off.
“Thought you saw what?”
Aubrey shook her head, breaking from Taemin’s hold and wiping her tears.
“It doesn't matter…. Let's go eat, i'm still starving.” Aubrey spoke, pulling Taemin in the opposite direction.
“But you just had two bowls of noodles!”
“Mhhhhh…. Your right… lets get meat this time!”

□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

 


“It's hideous.”
“It's like the last dress in this store…”
“And it hideous.” Hakyeon said rolling his eyes ask Reign walked back into the changing room.
“You've said that about every dress.”
“Then pick a better dress!” Hyuk said tiredly.
“Shut it Hyuk before you break something more important than your elbow.”
“Sometimes i don't know who's scarier, Reign or Taekwoon.” Wonshik spoke from the men's side of the store.
“Id say Taekwoon, we have to live with him.” Hongbin laughed.
Taekwoon just sipped his latte. The only reason he came was so he could check up on his sister through Reign.
“Taekwoon oppa, you're coming to homecoming right? It is your alma mater.” Reign said as she walked out the changing room and putting the clothes on the not wanted rack.
Taekwoon stopped drinking his latte and raised his eyebrow at her.
“Come on! Beans coming! And Aubrey will be there. Come on, don't you think you should watch after your baby sister, keep the bad guys away from her. I know Kihyun said that there are tons of guys after her.” Reign said trying to get a reaction from him, but to her dismay he held his poker face.
Just as Taekwoon tapped Hongbin to be his interpreter, his phone rang.
“How about this?” Hyuk said showing Reign a dress.
“Just because the dance is on the first of October, doesn't mean that I want to look like a pumpkin.” Reign spoke, waving Hyuk off.
“I picked it because your favorite color is orange…” Hyuk scoffed as he walked away.
“Ugh! Why is it so hard to find a dress?” Reign whined as she ruffled her hair.

“Its…. Its perfect...Hongbin how did you?”
“Hyung found it. I'm leaving with hyung, see you Saturday Reign!” Hongbin waved off, running to keep up with Taekwoon’s pace.
“Hmmmm….. he has nice taste….. why couldn't you find me a dress like this.” Reign said as she left to try on the dress.
“Ask me for long dresses not short, then i'm your man.”
“Pssh, you're barely a man, Omma..” Reign laughed as she shut the changing room door.

□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

“You're really handsome up close…” Aubrey said playing with Taemin’s hair.
Taemin blushed as he readjusted with her on his back.
“And you're pretty up close…. Now be still or i'm going to end up dropping you.”
“You think so…. People say that i'm pretty because Taek oppa is my brother.”
“You're pretty because you're you. They're just jealous of you.”
“Maybe that's why girls were mean to me…”
“Girls were mean to you? Your like the nicest person ever.”
“They called me a teacher's pet, so i stayed away from them. Then Kihyun switched school and i had a friend. Kihyun made friends easily. His friends became my friends and that made the girls hate me more……”
“I'm glad Kihyun was there for you. I wish i was there for you. Kihyun seems to be the one always there…..”
“Kihyun….. he was…. He was always there….. someone else was there but they left me….. please don't leave me like he did…”
Taemin froze as he felt tears running down his shirt. In all the time he had known Aubrey, she had never cried. So Taemin was shocked when the tears didn't stop flowing. Taemin sat her down on a nearby bench and pulled out his phone.
After talking on the phone, Taemin kneeled down and grabbed Aubrey's hands.
“I promise i won't leave you. I won't ever leave you. When you call my name i'll be there, because you're important to me. So stop crying, i don't like it when you cry. Taekwoon hyung won't like that you're crying either, so you should stop before he gets here.”
Aubrey sniffled a little before she clung to Taemin with a hug sending him to the ground.
Taemin tried to move but it only made Aubrey cling to him more, in fear that he was trying to leave.

□ 5 minutes later ■

“I didn't do anything i swear!” Taemin said, defending himself against Taekwoon as he got Aubrey settled in the back seat.
“He's a good person to be around her. He wouldn't hurt her intentionally.” Hongbin said coming to Taemin's defense.
“Look all we did was walk around. She walked off and when i asked her why she walked off. She said she saw something but she never told me what it was. We left and at meat and the lady gave us Soju and she drank more than me because as a man i should take care if her. She was to drunk to stand so i piggybacked her. She kept talking middle school. Then she asked me to never leave her. She started crying so i called you. When she stopped she kept hugging me, she had just fell asleep when you got here.”
“Not to leave her?” Hongbin asked. “Hyung, do you think?”
“I knew this was gonna bring problems. Look pretty boy, you won't say anything to anyone about what happened tonight. Watch who you bring her around. If you don't trust them, if anything seems off about them, you keep her away from them. If anything happens to her, it'll be your fault understand?”
Taemin gulped and nodded his head.
Taekwoon shut the door to the back of the car and got in the drivers seat.
“Don't worry about him, he's harmless really. He's just really protective of her. It took 6 months after debut for him to finally introduce her to us, and that's after years of training together. He knows you have her best interests at heart. Come on, it's late and we should get you back. Kibum probably called Jongin already, since you used him as your cover.”
“How'd you know I used him as a cover?” Taemin asked as he sat in the back, next to a sleeping Aubrey.
“Oh. I was over at the EXO dorm earlier. I was talking with Junmyeon about his date with Aubrey.” Hongbin said casually, buckling his seat belt.
“Oh okay…..wait! He went on a date with Aubrey?!” Taemin yelled.
Taekwoon glared at Taemin through the window.
“If you wake her, you'll be the one taking care of her not me.”
“How are you not scared of him?” Taemin asked Hongbin, as he shuffled further from Aubrey.
“I told you he's harmless. At least to me he his just be happy you aren't Jaehwan hyung. Swear he finds every way to piss hyung off.”
“Hyung…. Why did you let Audrey go on a date with Junmyeon hyung?”
“He wouldn't have if he knew. Hyung doesn't like SM, so if he knew a SM artists would be her date, he wouldn't have let her go.” Hongbin answered for Taekwoon.
“Why don't you like SM?” Taemin asked looking at Taekwoon in the mirror.
Taekwoon’s gaze stayed on Taemin for a minute before it moved over to Aubrey.
Taemin didn't need words. He got what Taekwoon was saying loud and clear. Whatever reason Aubrey hated SM was the same reason Taekwoon hated SM.
Taemin rested his head on the door and looked out the door. He was more determined more than ever to find out the truth, no matter what he had to do.