Twenty One

Lotto

Image result for music theory

 

“Remind me again why I signed up for Music Theory?” Emily asked Reign as they slid into their seats.

“It’s supposed to be a bonding experience for us. Not to mention now i have a partner for any projects that we do this semester, which i thank you for in advance now that i have this performance to worry about.”

“Are you sure you don't need help? That’s a lot to handle, not to mention classes, homework, exams, and you still have filming to do for the mv.” Emily asked concerned.

“I’ll be fine. Filming isn't until next week, after that i’m done. You’ll be here to help me with class and i do expect you to be in the concert as well.”

“Reign.”

“I’m not taking no for an answer.”

“Don’t worry Reign, me and the girls are more than enough to cover her absence.” So Jung spoke from the back of the classroom.

“Your presence will never be enough to cover any of my absences. Stay in the back where your comments might actually be wanted.”

So Jung scoffed. “What crawled up your ?”

“Leave her alone.”

“Not you too. You keep defending her more now that you and Aubrey have been hanging out more.”

“Me hanging out with Aubrey has nothing to do with me defending her, it just gets tiring going through the same charades everyday.” Neil spoke before he called Aubrey, who had just walked into the classroom, to come sit beside him.

Aubrey looked around the room and saw that their were only two seats left. One seat to the right of Neil, the other on the left of Reign.

“Take a seat dear, we have much to discuss.”  Min spoke as she slid past Aubrey and walked towards her desk.

Aubrey walked to the back and took a seat next to Neil, earning a scoff from So Jung.

“You’ll scratch your throat if you scoff anymore. On second thought keep scoffing, then maybe you’ll finally stop talking.” Aubrey spoke as she put her bag down.

 

“Enough chit chat! Welcome to music therapy. I cause hope the cold has woke you all enough because being here at 6 am will be the least of your problems this semester.”

“We aren’t going camping this year are we?” Hayeon asked from the front. She had arrived earlier to class and saved a seat for Aaron and herself.

“We are!” Min spoke, earning groans from the class.

“With all due respect, i don't do nature.” Reign spoke up, earning waves of agreement from the other students.

“You’ll do nature whether you like it or not. This camp outing will take place next month and will count as your midterm grade.” Min said handing out her class syllabus.

“That’s not fair. You didn’t tell us that before we signed up for the class.” Bi na argued.

“And i didn’t tell you take this class. You took it of your own free will. You’ll all be expected to go and it is a weekend trip. On said trip you will be partnered up for the whole trip. You’ll both get one grade so i suggest you all take this seriously.”

Whispering spread throughout the class room, with talks of partnering.

“Oh and i will be picking your partners.” Min said before she started going over the syllabus.

“There goes your plan to be partners.” Emily laughed at Reign’s dismay.


 

Class continued on with basic information from the syllabus being discussed. Once everything was discussed, Min let the class go.

 

“You should try and talk to her, she’ll literally right there.” Emily told Reign as they walked down the hall, spotting Aubrey with Neil, Hayeon, and Aaron.

“She obviously doesn’t want to talk to me, nor does she want to be around me.”

“I don’t blame her. I told you to leave her past alone.”

“Excuse me for try to help her.”

“Maybe she didn’t want to be helped. Nichkhun found her and took her to his house so she wouldn’t have to deal with her mom. He said she cried til she couldn’t cry anymore and then she blanked.” Emily said quietly as she watched Aubrey walk away with Aaron.

“She blanked….. I didn’t know she and Baekhyun even knew each other. How bad could their past be for him to hide it from us as well?”

“I don’t know, but i do know that it was bad enough to get Kihyun, Hyunwoo, and Taekwoon to yell at not only me, but Taemin as well.”

“Taekwoon yelled at you?” Reign asked, feeling guilty.

“I never knew his voice could be so loud.”

“Emily, i am so so sorry. I’ll make it right, i swear.”

“I think it’s better if you don’t and let things cool down for a while. She’s your friend first, so it’s more important to salvage your friendship.”

“The way she’s acting makes it seem like our friendship isn't salvageable at all.” Reign said before heading in the opposite direction.

Emily sighed, watching her friend walk off.

“Now what am i going to do with you too?” Emily questioned as she headed off to her next class.

 

I can’t even erase you from my head

I keep calling for you but you’re answerless

And only echoes keep coming back to me

I hate myself

For living on after losing you

But i hope that someday..

Oh tell me what is love….


 

“Baek, you okay?” Kyungsoo asked taking a seat next to Baekhyun.

“Just peachy why?”

“You’ve been zoned for the last 10 minutes, 5 of which i've been trying to get your attention.”

“Sorry...i’ve just got a lot going through my brain lately..”

“You want to talk about it?” Kyungsoo offered.

“...... I didn’t think she’d react like that when she saw me…” Baekhyun said facing Kyungsoo, while his reunion with Aubrey replayed in his head.

“What did you expect? You two haven’t seen each other in year and you didn’t split under favorable conditions.”

“I thought that maybe, just maybe that i’d have a chance.”

“You had plenty of chances.” Reign spoke from the door with her arms crossed glaring at Baekhyun.

“Reign, look i-”

“Save it.” Reign spoke cutting him off. “You have some nerve. Why didn’t you tell me you knew her? Why didn’t you tell me that you knew her?!” Reign yelled anger taking over her.

“Would you have still  set things up if i told you i knew her?”

“Of course not!”

“Exactly. I messed up before and i didn’t want to miss out probably the only chance i’d ever get to make things right with her.”

“And what about me!? I most likely just lost my bestfriend because of you. Do you know how hard it is to find people that understand what it’s like being related to an idol?”

“Reign, i'm sorry…”

“Yeah, you are. How could you do something like this? Did you think of anyone else and how they’d feel!?”

“I DID!!” BAekhyun yelled, no longer being able to control his anger.

“Baek…” Kyungsoo spoke, trying to calm Baekhyun down.

“All i’ve ever done is think about everyone else and how’d they’d feel. What about me huh!? My entire career i’ve had to go around linked to the one person i hate the most. It’s never been just me it’s always been Taeyeon and Baekhyun. It’s always been how can you disappoint your parents by becoming an idol? How did he even make it into the group? Always being told that i used Taeyeon for fame and i didn’t deserve my spot in the group. Have you ever had the pressure of everyone around you and the fate of everyone around you hanging on one decision. One decision ruined my life and i can never take it back. Because of one decision i lost the person that meant the most to me.”  Baekhyun spoke, his voice breaking on the last line.

Reign looked at Kyungsoo, who had a solemn expression on his face, then back to Baekhyun. In that moment she felt bad for blowing up at Baekhyun. Yeah she was extremely upset at how he handled things, but now she knew his intentions were never to cause any trouble.

“Sorry...for yelling at you….” Reign said, walking to where Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were sitting, taking a seat next across from Baekhyun.

“No i’m sorry for dragging you into this. I should have said something to you, instead i pretended to not know her. I didn’t know if she told you about our past, and if she did how much or how little. Have you ever  wanted to had someone that made you feel safe, calm, loved, and protected? Aubrey was that person for me. When i had problems with dancing and singing, she was there for me to talk to. When my parents and kicked me out the house for becoming a trainee, she convinced her parents to let me stay with them. She was everything to me and i just didn't realize it at the time.”

“They say you don’t know what you have till it’s gone……” Kyungsoo spoke, earning a nod from Reign.

“I understand what it’s like to lose someone who means the most to you, but if she means so much to you, how come you never fixed things sooner?” Reign asked, still confused about the situation.

“I wanted to, i really did. Everything happened right before the group's debut so i wasn't in school as much and they made us stay in the dorm. When i was aloud out it was to go in public with Taeyeon, and if it’s not out in public, it was to go to school. I’d go to talk to her and she either wasn't in school, Kihyun wouldn’t let me near her, or Taeyeon was always around me.”

“Ahhh…. I guess that’s understandable but really did get yourself in a big mess.  I want to help you but i can’t this time.”

“And i don’t want you too. You’ve done more than enough for me and i don’t want to mess up any chance you have of getting your friendship with Aubrey back.  I messed up her and Taeyeon’s friendship i don’t want to make yours the same way.”

“They were friends?!” Reign and Kyungsoo yelled at the same time.

“Ahhh...yeah. Taeyeon was her first female friend. Taeyeon didn’t need to use Aubrey as a way to become famous since she was already assigned to debut with SNSD.”

“So Taeyeon didn’t became friends with Aubrey to help her fame…..”

“She became friends with her to date you….” Reign spoke, finishing Kyungsoo’s sentence as they both stared at Baekhyun who was wide eyed.


 

“Oh Emily dear! What a pleasant surprise.” Mrs Jung said as she moved aside so that Emily could come into the house.

“Sorry for the short notice Mrs. Jung. I hope it's not a problem.”

“No problem at all dear, but please do call me mom. You’ve know Aubrey and Taekwoon long enough to be family.” Mrs. Jung said giving Emily a hug.

Emily broke from the hug and smiled. “Thanks  mom. Umm...so is Aubrey in her room?”

“Kitchen actually. She says the kitchen island is more comfortable than her room.” Mrs. Jung said shaking her head, gaining laughter from Emily.

“You guys do have a very nice kitchen and she does love cooking.”

“I guess i can’t complain that she spends so much time there since she designed it in the first place.” Mrs. Jung laughed as her phone rang. “You’re here already? I’ll be right out.” Mrs. Jung Spoke before hanging up.

“Going somewhere mom?” Emily asked seeing the abundance of luggage in the room.

“Yes dear. China actually.” Mrs. jung replied handing some of her luggage off to the helper.

“You must going for a while from all this luggage.” Emily said as she walked with Mrs. Jung to the door.

“Just a month or two. There’s so much to do before July.”

“What’s in July?” Emily asked, but didn’t get an answer as the car horn was blown.

“I really have to go now, but it was very nice seeing you. Make sure Aubrey feeds you before you leave. Make sure you stop around the house more often, i'd be a shame to not see you before the wedding.” Mrs. Jung said as she shut the door behind her.

“Wedding?” Emily whispered to herself. Emily made a mental note to ask Aubrey about her mom’s comment.

 

Image result for kitchen with island


 

Emily walked down the hall and spotted Aubrey at the island table, one headphone in, singing BTOB’s It’s Okay, while reading what looked to be medical reports on her computer.

 

“That really is your favorite song.” Emily spoke from the kitchen entrance, making Aubrey jump.

“Way to announce yourself Em.” Aubrey retorted as he moved her hand from over her chest to pause her music.

“You only had one headphone in. How’d you even get scared?” Emily said as she took a seat at the table.

“You know i’m easily scared. What are you doing here anyway?”

“Well since you moved out the dorm and only have 3 classes and spend the rest of your time with Neil or Nichkhun getting ready for the tournament, i'd thought i’d check in with my best friend.”

“So you’re here to make me feel guilty?”

“Of course i am. So much has happened and then you move out the dorm and cut contact with majority of us. I think i deserve an explanation, don't you?” Emily said crossing her arms.

“I made soup. It should be almost done by now.” Aubrey said, standing up and walking around to the stove.

“Aubrey Marie Jung. You tell me what’s going on right now because i’m not leaving until you do.”

Aubrey sighed. She grabbed two bowls out of the cabinet and ladled the soup in, before bringing the bowls to the table.

 

Related image

 

“Although this looks and smells great, you won’t distract me with food this time.” Emily said eating more of the soup.

“......It’s embarrassing…” Aubrey said quietly.

“What’s embarrassing?”

“Everything about it is embarrassing. I’ve spent so much time trying to forget him and then suddenly i’m being rushed with everything i went through.”

“Being in love is nothing to be embarrassed about. We’re your friends you could have told us.”

“I spent so long getting to a good place. How do you tell your friends that one person made you weak? That that one person is responsible for my action and how i live my life. Telling you guys about Baekhyun is just me going back to when i was weak and i’m tired of being weak, Em.”

“You’re the strongest person i know. You never thought you’d be in college and now you're getting ready to graduate. You spend hours training and helping others, you're the most dedicated person i know.  It’s not easy being an idol’s sibling and yet you make it look like a walk in the park. So what you fell in love and it didn’t go as planned, that’s his loss. Any guy would be lucky to have you, especially since you cook.” Emily said gaining a small smile from Aubrey.

“Thanks Em.”

“You should be thanking Reign not me. You should also talk to Baekhyun, so the both of you can finally be done with this and move on.”

“Reign i can talk too, but i’m not so sure about Baekhyun.”

“I don’t think that he can say anything that makes what happened okay, but he must have things he wants to say just like you do.”

“I don’t think i’ll be able to forgive him…..”

“If his reasons aren’t good enough to forgive him then don’t, but i think you both deserve a chance to close that part of your lives, otherwise you’ll never be able to move on.”

“I’m gonna need you to stop hanging around Key oppa.”

“And i’m going to need you to start hanging around Taemin more. Seriously that guy is as bad as Jonghyun.”

“Leave minnie alone, he just really energetic and needs someone to hang out with him.” Aubrey laughed.

“Speaking of food, i was talking with Joonmyeon and he came up with this idea.”

“Okay. i was gonna text him back later and ask him what was up.”

“So before you say no, just know that i’ll be there along with Reign, Shinee, and Vixx.”

“...ummm okay….”

“To celebrate Reign and i’s mv debut’s, Exo though it would be nice to have a dinner together. Of course it’ll be at Exo’s dorm since we can't all go out in public without wanting to be on social media the next day. If you don’t feel comfortable going i’ll just tell Joonmyeon that you’d rather not. I’m pretty sure that with the exception of Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Yixing and Minseok, no one knows about you and Baekhyun.”

“Sure….i’ll go.”

“Are you serious!?”

“It can’t be that bad, right? And you said you and oppa’s will be there. It’ll give me a chance to talk to Baekhyun and Reign. But will you be okay?”

“Why wouldn’t i?”

“Well you’ll be there with you boyfriend and ex in the same room.”

“They should be fine, i hope. They wouldn’t do anything with so many people around. I have so much on my plate already that  i really don’t need them fighting as well.”

Aubrey got up from the table and ran to her room.

“Aubrey!?” Emily yelled.

“Sorry. I forgot i had something for you. I was going to give it to you after class but Neil dragged me out first.” Aubrey said as she handed Emily a big envelope.

“What’s this?” Emily asked.

“Just open it already!”

Emily eyed Aubrey before she opened the envelope.

“Aubrey this is….” Emily couldn’t even finish her sentence as she got up and toppled Aubrey to the ground.

“I take it you like it.” Aubrey laughed.

“Like it! I love it! How did you even pull something like this off.”

“I may or my not have put in a word for you and shown a video from your game off to the coach.” Aubrey said as she sat up.

“Aubrey this is amazing. Like i’m going to practice with bae. I get to play soccer with bae for a whole week. Who get’s to play soccer with THE Cristiano Ronaldo for an entire week.”

“I’m glad you like. I mean you have to wait another month to go but hey that’ll make you appreciate your time there more.”

“Wait! It’s in February?”

“Yeah. Second week i believe, why?”

“Because our stupid midterm is that same weekend. I can’t believe i’m going to miss the chance of a lifetime.” Emily spoke sullenly.

“Oh you’re going.”

“I really doubt that Min is going to let me off this midterm.”

“Don’t worry bout a thing, you’ve got me in your arsenal.” Aubrey smiled as she picked up the empty soup bowls.

“How are you going to get me excused from the midterm?” Emily asked Aubrey, skeptically.

“How do you feel about performing in front of a crowd?” Aubrey asked, smirking.