Thirty Six

Lotto

 

 

“Take that shirt off please.”

“No way! I’m showing my support.” 

“She’s not even playing, she just the coach.”

“Coaches need love too!” Hakyeon smiled, proudly showing off his shirt.

“Sure they do, but that doesn’t mean you have to embarrass the rest of us.” Reign spoke, getting up from her spot in the bleachers and moving back a few rows so that she was now seated beside Jooheon.

“I knew you couldn’t resist me.” Jooheon said, placing his arm around Reign’s waist.

“Touch me again and you’ll never hold a mic again.” Reign said pushing Jooheon against the hard bleachers. 

“Oh look there she is!” Taemin pointed out as Aubrey and her team walked into the gym for warm ups.

“Is he always this energetic?” Hyemi asked rolling her eyes. 

“How can one be so unhappy in the presence of so many idols?” Sienna gasped glaring at Hyemi. “When will you be surrounded by Vixx, Shinee, Monsta X and Exo members again?”

“Am I invisible?” 

“I really wish you were but you’re still there when I open my eyes.” Emily groaned at Kris.

Currently Kris, Vixx, Shinee, Jooheon, Hoseok, Baekhyun, Yixing, Sehun, and Junmyeon had all come with the girls to support Aubrey. Mei had tried setting up an outing with the girls but when Reign and Vivian both said they had a tournament to go to, the others asked to tag along.

“And here I thought we were finally getting along.”

“Call of the wedding and maybe we could.”

“Today is not day for hostility. Here comes Aubrey, at least put on a show for her sake.” Yixing whispered to Emily. 

“Hey guys! Thanks for coming, even though I said you didn’t have too.” 

“And miss my baby coach her team to victory, no way!” Jaehwan said proudly showing off his shirt that matches both Hakyeon’s and Taemin’s.

“It’s the perfect thing to help relax since most of us will have hectic schedules starting soon.” Junmyeon spoke from his seat in the back so he could have a better view. 

“Glad this can be your distraction then. Well I better get back, I just wanted to come over and say hi. I probably won’t get to see you guys until it’s all over.

“Well lucky for you today’s the last day! After you win you can as much time as you desire with me.”

“Gee thanks Baek, that’s just how I wanted to spend my free time.” Aubrey said rolling her eyes and heading back to the other side of the court. 

“You know you’re not really getting more time with her right?” Yifan spoke.

“Of course i am. She only has finals left and she can study while with me.” Baekhyun said proudly of his plan. 

“To bad she’ll be spending her time with me.” Taemin stated calmly. 

“Why would she be spending time with you? We have wedding plans to finalize.”

“No, she’ll be studying and finalizing the wedding with me in LA.”

“LA!?” Yifan, Taekwoon, and Baekhyun all called out. 

“Um shouldn’t we try and calm them down?” Mei asked. 

“No. When it comes to Aubrey, you just let things take their course.” Emily said as she watched Taemin explained why Aubrey would be spending her time with him.

“Maybe if her life had some structure, then it wouldn’t be taking its course.”

“Vi.You said you wouldn’t take more digs at her. You already have Kihyun, what more are you gaining by talking about her?” Lia said to his sister.

“You and I will be great friends.” Emily said extending her hand to Lia after seeing him shut his sister up so fast.

“Is this normal? Is she normally the center of talk?” Sienna asked. 

“Why is she the center of talk anyway?” Maeleen asked, watching the captains shake hands. 

“Every group has that one person that just pulls the together, that’s Aubrey for us.” Reign spoke with a sigh and roll of her eyes as Jooheon put his arm around her shoulder. 

“It’s starting Hoseok said as he hopped down from his spot at the top down to wear Taemin, Jaehwan, and Hakyeon were sitting so they could all show off their shirts of support.

 

 

 

           +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

 

 

 

“It doesn’t have to be me, you can find another vocalist.” 

“If you don’t want on the track, the door is right there Kihyun. I have no problem doing the track with you, in fact Aubrey is the one who told me to have you on the track.”

“Aubrey has nothing to do with this. This is just business.” Kihyun said, his eyes roaming over the lyrics. 

“It has everything to do with her. How dumb are you? She made this track. She wrote the lyrics. She recommended you. She is the business, and you're too busy being hurt to realize it.”

“I’m not hurt.”

“Then why are you here and not supporting her? Even with everything going on she just wants to see you win.”

“I wanna see her win too! But it hurts. I can’t just forget everything that’s happened. I have a girl and I don’t ever want to put her in a situation like this.”

“But you have. And she doesn’t deserve it just like Aubrey. Did you know Vivian doesn’t like Aubrey? Based off of you. But Aubrey has so much respect for you she doesn’t even let it show that it bothers her, like we all know it does. Do us all a favor and figure out what you want. You want Aubrey or Vivian? You want them the same or different? There’s a lot more to be asking yourself rather than counting the days down till she’s a married woman.”

“Why don’t y’all just end here for today, obviously you guys won’t get far today.”  Jiyong spoke, having enough of the back and forth between the two. 

“That sounds like a great idea. In fact don’t worry about the track, I’ll do it without you.” Kayden said grabbing her bag and walking out.

“You really know how to piss of the ladies.”  

“I’m not doing this on purpose.”

“Of course. There are feelings of multiple people involved. But she has a good point. Are you over Aubrey or are you stringing Vivian along as the next best thing? You know it’s not over until Aubrey says I do, right?” Jiyong said, patting Kihyun on the back. 

“It was over when she said we don’t know each other anymore….” 

 

 

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+ 

 

 

“Time out!” Called out the refere.

“No offense to your friend, but they .”

“They just aren't used to playing without Aubrey.” Taemin said defending the team from Maeleen. 

“So why isn't she playing with them then? Obviously they need her.” Hyemi asked still playing on her phone having already lost interest in the match.

“She hurt herself a while back and is still recovering.” Reign said snatching the phone from the younger girl. 

“Hey! Give my phone back.”

“At least try and look supportive. What if we had debuted and were at an awards show and the camera's caught you on your phone during a performance? You'd have shamed the entire group.” 

Hyemi glared at Reign but none the less looked out to the floor.

“Well since Aubrey’s  leaving that means we can leave too, right?” Vivian asked, sounding as done as Hyemi. 

“No one told you to stay.” Emily said watching Bi Na give Aubrey her gym bag. 

“You guys don't thinks she's going to do it right?” Baekhyun asked.

“She wouldn't. She could end up damaging her arm further.” Jaehwan spoke, getting a little worried.

“If you came here and expected her not to then you're an idiot.” Yifan spoke.

“Can you watch what comes out of your mouth?” Emily asked, trying to control her temper.

“Why don't we just keep watching the match? Aubrey’s a smart girl, I'm sure she knows what she's doing.” Hongbin said placing his hand on Emily's shoulder only to have it shrugged off. 

“Bean's right. We don't know if she is playing or she's just going to the bathroom.”

“Really Wonshik? She's going to the bathroom with her gym bag. What else would she be doing?” Joommyeon scolded.

“She could be changing her tampon.” Sehun thought aloud, almost dying when Taekwoon and Yifan spun around and glares at him.

“What?! It is a possibility.”

“Hunnie please stop before they kill you bring you back and then kill you again.” Reign said as she once again hit Jooheon for whispering something in her ear.

“Should we do something about him, Reign looks really mad?” Mei asked Hoseok.

“No. He's harmless and that's really how they interact. They're even performing at Reign’s concert together.” Hoseok spoke, eyes never leaving the court.

Mei’s eyes wander back up to where Reign and Jooheon continued their back and forth banter.

‘I hope those two don't give any problems in the future.’ Mei thought as a foreboding floated through her. 

The buzzer sounded announcing the end of the match.

“I can't believe they lost. There's no way they can win the tournament now.” Minho said speaking for the first time all day. 

“What are the odds of them winning now?” Kibum asked pushing Yixing away from so that he and jonghyun could squeeze Emily between them.

“Well they won a couple of them yesterday, I'd say they'd have to win the rest of them today to even qualify for tomorrow.”Jinki said using his index finger to do the math in the air.

“Well maybe if they change it up they'd stand a chance.” Lia suggested.

“They're definitely skilled players, but without Aubrey on that court to guided them they don't stand a chance.” Baekhyun said.

“Look she's in uniform!” Lia called as Aubrey walked back into the gym.

“She's really going to do it…” Hoseok whispered.

“I can't believe she's going to risk her arm for a stupid match.” Hyemi stated.

“Tell me she's not actually going to be in your group?” Yifan asked as he tried tuning the girl out for the umpteenth time. 

“I second that.” Emily said with a smile before she remembered who she was agreeing with.

“Guy's she really playing! She took off her wrap.” Taemin announced to the crowd that started getting more hyped once they saw Aubrey in uniform.

“Should we stop her?” Hongbin asked Taekwoon. 

“No one stopped you now did they?” 

“Not now Em.” Jonghyun told Emily.

“No. We don't stop her. Let her make her own decisions like the big girl that she is.” Taekwoon spoke with confidence, but on the inside he was a nervous wreck wondering the outcome that lies ahead for his baby sister.

 

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+ 

 

“Are you sure about this? You could mess up all the progress you've made in healing your arm.”

“I'm good coach. I can't just sit here and let them lose. If this has to be my last time moving my arm than so be it but at least I did it doing what I love.  You must have known that too or you wouldn't have left me registered.”

“Okay you caught me. I knew something like this would happen. Just tap out if it get too much.’

“Thanks but when have I ever tapped out before.” Aubrey laughed as she got off the bench and walked over to her team. 

“You sure about this Aubrey? We don't want you hurting yourself.” Yoohyeon spoke. 

“Right now isn't the time to worry about my arm. I'm not worried about it one bit, but if you're all worried then make sure I don't have to touch that ball. Watch it. Call it. Don't just move for it, run for it. I want you guys digging. I want sets. I want spikes. Formation. Formation. Formation. I want beautiful, picture worthy formations. We are the underdogs right now and we have something to prove. This isn't about the past or the future this all about the feeling of now. I don't care of we lose but we won't lose without putting up a fight! Team on three! One! Two! Three!”

“TEAM!” the girls called out. 

Aubrey, Bi Na, Yoohyeon, three other girls walked onto the court with Joomi ready on the sidelines. Since the team would be receiving, Aubrey moved the rotation so that she would be to the right of the server. 

With everyone in position, the whistle blew and the first ball was served.

At first it was because everyone was getting used to having Aubrey back in rotation, but soon the girls were running all over the court calling the ball and getting it over in 3 moves, avoiding giving the other team any free balls. 

The first round was over with a 25-17 in favor of the other team. The girls kept their head high as that was only the first round. The second round the rotation was kept the same with the exception of Joomi playing in Bi Na’s place. This time Aubrey was a little more hands on setting the ball whenever she could and making sure to block the ball. This match ended 18-25 in the girls favor. 

 

“Guys I’m feeling the pressure!” Jooheon said, sitting on edge. 

“Chill you big baby. They’ve got this.” Reign said pulling Jooheon’s hand away from his mouth and holding it so he could no longer bite his nails.

“It really made a difference adding her into the match.” Mei said in awe.

“She’s a natural born leader. She knows how to adapt and her team works with her not against her.” Jinki spoke. 

“It just shows that you should always stick to what you know.” Hongbin said, his eyes on Emily and not the court. 

“Do you think she’ll make it out this round with the same amount of effort?” Taemin asked as he moved higher up for a better view. 

“Probably not. By now both teams should know the other pretty well and know what they need to do to win….” Hakyeon spoke and he was clearly right. 

The rotation started two more spots over than they had already been doing, putting Aubrey right on the net. Everyone was running, calling the ball, and using beautiful form. By time Aubrey made it to the serving spot they were 3 down. 

Of course Aubrey had a lot of pressure to keep up with her nickname and the crowd agreed by chanting out her name. 

Taking a deep breath, Aubrey served the ball over the net, aiming for the weakest one and getting them an ace. 

The crowd erupted into cheers as the girls did a handshake before handing the ball back to Aubrey. 

Aubrey got back into position and did what she did best,serve. 

Ball after ball Aubrey served, 4 of the 6 all being aces, living up to her name even further. 

After the team lost the ball to the other team the score was 19-21. 

The girls hustled on the floor getting the ball back with a beautiful bump, set, spike. Things were looking up until the girl who did the spike landed wrong and a timeout was given. 

“It’s not broken that’s good, but I can’t let you back on that court.” The aide said, wrapping up the girls ankle. 

“What are we going to do now?” Joomi said, ready to pull out her hair in frustration. 

“We keep pushing. Bi Na and Yoohyeon make sure you get the ball over the net dice you’ll be our next two servers. Joomi, you’re now the setter. I want everyone one to make sure the give her a good setup. I’ll spike. Everyone still needs to keep guards up, call the ball, assist, block. Guys we are so close. You guys put in the hard work so let’s go out here and make yourselves proud.”

The girls went back on the court with a new focus, and the new plan actually worked. The other team was shaken up and had to come up with a new plan as they could no longer call time outs with the game being close to over. The match was coming down to two points, both teams being over 25 putting the match into overtime.

 

“They just need two points. If it Bi Na I wouldn’t be this nervous. Isn’t it that girls first year on the team?” Emily asked.

“Yeah, she’s a freshman. She barely made the team. From Aubrey’s notes, she was only good at setting the ball.” Hyuk spoke. 

“I can’t look.” Hakyeon spoke, hiding in Taemin’s identical shirt. 

“She can’t be that bad if she made it this long on the team. They went through an entire season.” Hoseok said in the girls defense.

“Just because she made it an entire season doesn’t mean that she served in any of the games.” Reign spoke, clenching Jooheon’s hand.

Sehun went to make a comment on Reign still holding Jooheon’s hand, but he was cut off by the sound of screaming as Yoohyeon had just served an ace. 

“They only need one more point!” Screamed Lia and Mei. 

“Hopefully they get another ace and it’ll be over.” Yifan said as he saw Taekwoon rubbing his necklace, probably wishing the same thing he did. 

Of course nothing ever went the way they planned where Aubrey was concerned. 

Yoohyeon had succeeded in getting the ball over the net but the other team wasn’t going down without a fight. The ball was going back and forth will block, digs, and spikes at every turn. Sweat was dripping and hair was sticking to their skin but they kept pushing.

“Mine!” BiNa yelled out running for the ball and maneuvering it over to Joomi. 

Joomi got underneath the ball, but knew the girl infront of her would never be able to spike the ball, leading her to make a back set towards Aubrey, who lucky had already read. 

Aubrey made her way to the ball, jumping up into the air and swinging her arm down on the ball, making it fly towards the out line. 

“IN!” Called the referee as the ball indeed just barely avoided going out. 

“She did it!!! They did it!!” Yifan yelled standing with the rest of the crowd as the team swarmed Aubrey in a group hug. 

“I knew they could do it.” Sienna said high fiving Vivian. 

“Look how happy she is! They’re glowing and they haven’t even won the tournament yet!” Sehun spoke over Baekhyun’s cheering as the team shook hands with their opponent.

“Hyung, you saw what I did, didn’t you?” Taemin asked. His eyes were on Aubrey as some officials walked her way, but he could still see Taekwoon mood. 

“Make sure you look after her while you're both away.” Taekwoon spoke lowly, so no one else could hear. 

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.” Taemin said as they all waved back to a smiling Aubrey.