Sixteen

Lotto

“I'll see you guys later then.” Reign said, packing up her bag.“Where are you going?” Hyuk asked, as he sat on the couch in the practice room.

“Well i have a meeting with your manager about your upcoming promotions for the album. Then i need to get Emily and i’s drinks so she can help me and Kihyun pass english this semester.” Reign said grabbing the paperwork she left out for her meeting off the desk.

“Ohh. It is almost time for exams. Working won't affect your studying will it?” Jaehwan asked concerned.

“Not really. I'm doing so well in applied stats that even if i fail my exam, i'd still pass. All my major classes are pass fail, so i'm good. So it's just this Renaissance English and physical wellness that i need to pass.”

“But you practice physical wellness with us everyday when we practice.” Hyuk whined.

“I'm a singer, not a dancer. Besides physical wellness is more than just being active, it's a state of mind. I'd love to chat more but I'll be late if I don't leave now.” Reign spoke as she exited the room.

“You've been weirdly quiet today. It's not like you.” Wonshik asked as he took a seat next to Hakyeon.

“Doesn't Reign seem off to you guys?”

“What's off? Reign isn't normal you know.” Wonshik replied.

“Off more than normal.” Hakyeon said rolling his eyes.

“She seemed fine to me.” Hongbin spoke from the other side of the room.

“She would seem fine to you because she doesn't talk to you.” Jaehwan spoke with a little attitude.

“That's her choice not mine.” Hongbin said rolling his eyes.

“Maybe if you didn’t up and pick the wrong girl then you wouldn’t be ignored.” Jaehwan spoke.

“Sorry my relationships are interfering with your life.”

“.....” Taekwoon coughed trying to break the tension.

“Has Aubrey said anything to you about Reign?”

“Why would Aubrey tell him anything about Reign?” Hyuk asked.

“It’s not everyday you remember you forgot your brothers birthday, 7 days later.” Hakyeon spoke.

“Aubrey forgets our birthday’s all the time.” Hyuk spoke.

“She remembered yours this year. Hakyeon’s is after her’s so she remembers his. And Taekwoon is her brother, so of course she remembers his.” Wonshik said, correcting Hyuk.

“That isn’t the point. The point is that she seems off.”

“Maybe you're just overthinking it.” Jaehwan spoke.

“I don't think i am. Taekwoon, have Aubrey keep an eye on Reign. I’m sure if something’s off Aubrey can figure out what it is.”

“.....”

Taekwoon said nothing, and instead got up and walked into the recording booth.

‘Keeping an eye on Reign is exactly what i plan on doing…’ Taekwoon thought as he pulled out his phone.

 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

“I feel like we haven’t seen each other in forever. Other than practice of course.”

“That’s because you’ve spending all your free time with Aaron. I’m surprised you could fit me into your schedule.” Aubrey said biting into her sandwich.

“He’s hanging out with his cousin today. His cousin is supposed to be leaving for America soon.”

“Oh, then he should spend time with him then.”

“That’s what i told him. He tried to bring me along but I figured that I could just hang out with you instead.”

“Well gee thanks.” Aubrey said wiping .

“You’re welcome. Besides i wanted to check up on you. You seem fine in practice but i know how you are.”

“You know how i am? Hayeon, what exactly is this about?” Aubrey asked, sitting up and crossing her arms.

“I saw what happened at the party.”

“That was two weeks ago. Why are you bringing it up now?”

“Like you said,i'm always with Aaron. I wanted to ask afterwards but you stormed out and i didn’t want to piss you off anymore. I figured two weeks was a good enough time to wait before approaching you.”

“Do yourself and forget it ever happened.”

“Forget it happened?”

“Yeah. Forget it. I have other things to deal with. Things way more important than a stupid threat.”

“It’s not a stupid threat Aubrey. You could seriously get hurt.”

“I won’t and do you know why? Because the threat holds no ground, it’s irrelevant.”

“But it’s not the first time you’ve been threatened.”

“Oh you mean Bi Na? She’s harmless. She knows i'm right and once she figures that out she can have her spot back. The season might be over but we have a tournament to prepare for.”

“I wouldn’t exactly call her harmless. How can you be so calm about this.”

“Do you think this is the first time i've been threatened? You know who my brother is. And everyone knows Ki. i’ve gotten plenty of threats because i'm related to Taek oppa and hang out with Ki. I think i can handle a petty threat.”

“You know, sometimes i wonder what makes you, you.”

“.... Sometimes knowing less is better. I've got to go, i have to meet someone.”

“Yeah, sure. We’ll have to get together before break hits, some time after exams.”

“Yeah. Definitely.” Aubrey said grabbing her bag.

Aubrey walked out of the cafe and got into her car. She placed her bag in the passenger seat and got settled in her car. She was about to start her engine when her phone went off, indicating she had a text message.

 
 

Be careful who you keep in your company, not everyone is your friend…..

 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

 

“Emily! I’m glad I could catch you before you left.”

“Is everything okay?” Emily asked as she sat in the chair across from Lee Soo-Man.

“Yes. i just had a couple questions to ask you, is all.”

“Okay.” Emily said, folding her hands in her lap.

“Your brother tells me that you dance.”

“I used to dance. I don’t as much now because I play soccer and have classes.”

“Hmmmm. If you had the chance to dance again, would you take it?”

“Now that soccer is over, i guess it wouldn’t be to bad of an idea. But i don’t see how me dancing is of importance.”

“How would you like to be the female dancer in Super Junior’s upcoming music video?”

“Me?! You must be joking.”

“I’m not. I know it’s short notice but the trainee we had in mind suddenly backed out. You brother said you might be interested. Of course you’ll get paid for you work as well.”

“But what about my job teaching Exo?”

“They’ll be preparing for a comeback as well, so you won't be needed to teach them for the time being.”

“Um….is it okay if i think about this?”

“Of course. I know that this is very last minute.

“Thank you. Well if that’s all i’d better be going.”

“Wait. I have one more question.”

“Okay…”Emily said sitting back down in the chair.

“The boys tell me you have a friend that studies performing arts.”

“Oh. You mean Reign.”

“Yes. Have told me that she performed live sometime ago on Inkigayo. I’ve actually watched the performance and she has an incredible stage presence.”

“Okay...i’ll be sure to tell her.”

“Emily, i have a offer for her as well. I would like her to be in an upcoming music video. There isn't a dance for her to learn, so it’ll simply be her acting the entire way through.”

“I’ll be sure to ask her.”

“Great. I hope to hear from both of you soon.” Lee Soo-Man said, letting Emily get up and leave the room this time.

 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

 

“Really?!” Reign said placing her books down on the study table.

“Yeah. He said you wouldn't have to dance, so it would be just acting.”

“I’m going to get paid to act in a music video. A SM music video. The head of one of the big three wants me in their company’s video. Me. I've been on stage for YG and now i'm going to be in a SM music video. Mark my words i'm going places people.”

“You can always join Starship.”

“And deal with Jooheon more than I already do. I think i pass Ki.”

“You know what else you think you can pass? Your exam, if you start studying. I don't have all day you know.”

“Okay. Okay. But before we start i have to ask Kihyun something.”

“Ask away…”

“How would you feel about Aubrey dating someone?”

“........ If that’s what she want’s then i'd be okay with it. Her happiness is really all that matters.” Kihyun spoke opening his text book.

“That’s great. I could really use your help. I’ve got someone i think would be a good fit for her and i think i’ll need your help.”

“...... Ahh...sure...anything for Aubrey…...we should start studying, i have to get back to the dorm soon.”

“Right! Alright Em, work your magic.” Reign said flipping to the page Kihyun was on.

Emily looked at Kihyun and saw his shoulders had slumped from what they were before. His smile had also disappeared.

‘Clueless….She’s clueless…’ Emily thought.

Emily sighed and opened her notes. Staying out of everyone's lives was going to be harder than she thought.

 

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

 

“Aubrey, what a pleasant surprise.” Mrs. Wu said as she opened the door to let Aubrey in.

“Hell Mrs. Wu. I just came to see Kris.”

“Call him Yifan. Your family, you shouldn’t be calling him by his idol name.”

“Ahhh...yes.” Aubrey said standing off to the side.

She had never been to Kris’s house before and it felt really awkward being alone with his mom for the first time since they told her she would be married to Kris.

“Why don’t you help me in the kitchen? Yifan will be home soon.” Mrs. Wu said leading Aubrey into the kitchen.

They both washed their hands before they started on cutting the fruit.

“I know this was very sudden but when I found out the two of you were dating, i became happy. Yifan has always taken care of me, never really putting himself first. You two dating means he’s finally trying to find his happiness. I know it might be selfish of us, but as parent’s, we only want the best for our children. It came as a shock to your mother when i told her about you two. You may resent us now, but this is really for the well being of the both of you. Yifan is hopeless when it comes to household duties but he’s a gentleman. I know you’ve closed yourself off and focused on school after your father's death. The two of you need each other, you just don’t see it now.”

Aubrey just kept silent, thinking, the only sound coming from the when the knife met the cutting board.

 

“We're back and we come bearing gifts.” Aaron yelled as he and Kris entered the house.

“Come now dear.” Mrs. Wu said, grabbing the tray of peeled and cut fruit.

Aubrey followed Mrs. Wu into the living room, where shopping bags were spread out.

“I didn’t know what to get you so that’s why there’s a lot.”

“That’s quite alright. Thank you.” Mrs. Wu said placing the fruit on the table.

“I told him not to buy so much.”

“That’s because you want to go by your wife a present.”Aaron said, popping a grape into his mouth.

“You can give it to her now then. Aubrey stop hiding back there and come out.”

Aubrey moved from her hiding spot behind the wall, and walked into the living room.

“Oh.You’re the girl from the dance.” Aaron said pointing at Aubrey.

“Ahh...yeah…”Aubrey said moving her hair out of her face.

“You two know each other?” Kris asked curiously.

“We met at the dance. We actually go to the same school.”

“Oh really?” Kris said with a raised eyebrow.

“Isn’t that wonderful!”

“We never really had a formal introduction. I’m Aaron. I happen to be Yifan’s cousin. Welcome to the family cousin.”

“I’m Aubrey….um thanks…” Aubrey said putting her hand out for a handshake, but instead Aaron took her hand and pulled her into a hug.

“Isn’t it wonderful that they get along? Yifan, you should give her you present now.”

Kris walked over to Aubrey and grabbed her arm. “We’ll be back.”

Kris brought Aubrey upstair and down the hall to his room.

“What are you doing here?” Kris asked leaning against his door.

“I wanted to talk to you…..”

“Look if it’s about the marriage, don’t worry about it. I’ll figure a way out of it.”

“.....No….I think we should go through with it……”

“Aubrey, you don't have too. I know that you have a lot of things going for you. I know i said if a lot to you before, but i know that you're capable of making them happen. I don’t want to be the thing that holds you back.”

“I know i don't have too, but i want too.”

“You want to get married?” Kris asked in disbelief.

“Not really. But i went to visit my dad today. He wasn’t supportive of what i wanted to do, but can i really be mad at him for wanting to make sure i had a stable life. He always said ‘Live well, eat often, Love abundantly’. I even got it tattooed on my arm. I know my dad’s watching. I’m sure if he was alive he would have found a way to arrange me into a marriage. I could have ended up with worse.”

“Worse?” Kris asked, moving to sit beside Aubrey on his bed.

“You doing this because you care about your mom. I get to marry a guy that cares about his family to marry a girl he doesn't even know.”

“I know you enough. We’re in this together , so no matter what i’m always going to be there for you. I’m not the best guy, but i promise that i’ll make this work. That way we’ll never regret doing this for our families.” Kris said taking Aubrey’s hands into his own.

Aubrey smiled up at Kris. She really did get lucky didn’t she?

“Oh. Here.” Kris said as he pulled out a medium sized square box.

“What’s this?” Aubrey said taking the box.

“I got it for you as an apology for what i said to you that day. I kinda hoped it would convince you to agree to the marriage.”

“Yifan...It’s beautiful.”

 

Image result for rosary bracelet

 

“I noticed you always carry your rosary around. I thought you might like this…..” Kris said rubbing the back of his neck.

“I love it. I don't know how to thank you.” Aubrey said, admiring the bracelet.

“Just make sure you cook for me. I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but i’m a terrible cook.”

“Your mom might have mentioned it.” Aubrey laughed along with Kris.

“You know i'm glad that you got hit by that basketball.”

“I’m not. You know how hard that ball hit me.” Aubrey said getting up off the bed.

Aubrey and Kris walked down stairs and back into the living room.

“I’ll be leave now Mrs. Wu, Aaron.” Aubrey bowed.

“Call me mom. Remember, your family now.”

“Ahhh...okay.”

“I’ll walk you out.”

“That’s okay Kris, i can go by myself.”

“Aubrey…” Mrs.Wu said with a warning voice.

“Yifan….you don’t have to i’ll be fine.”

“What kind of boyfriend would i be if i didn't send you off properly.”

“Fiance.” Aaron spoke, still eating the fruit.

“Boyfriend. We’ve only been dating 3 months. We aren’t going to get engaged so soon, we’ll do it at our own pace.” Kris spoke, before leading Aubrey out the living room.

Kris walked Aubrey all the way to her car and made sure she was safely inside.

“Text me when you get back to the dorm.”

“Sure if i don't fall asleep first.”

“If you don’t text me, i'm going to show up at your dorm.”

“How about we don’t tell anyone about this? I just agreed to this, I don’t want anyone trying to talk me out of it.”

“Sure. i don't really have anyone to tell, but we can announce it together when you're ready.”

“Thanks Kris.”

“Yifan….I like it when you call me Yifan…”

“Are you sure?”

“Like my, wait. Like our mom said, your family. I want you to call me Yifan.”

A small smile graced Aubrey’s lips. Who knew being in a ‘relationship’ would feel so nice.

Aubrey drove off, with Kris watching after, to the dorms. When she got back, the room was empty. Assuming they were still studying, Aubrey slipped into a pair of sweats and laid in bed. She took off the bracelet, placing it back in it’s box, and place it in the top drawer of her desk.

Cuddling the Winnie the Pooh stuffed animal Hoseok had won for her at the carnival, Aubrey fell fast asleep. That night she slept the she ever had in the past 2 weeks.