ii. Twenty Eight

Lifeline.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Good morning!” Chanhee singsongs as a sleepy Wooshin and an even sleepier Byunghun enters the kitchen. The latter had Chanhun in his arms who practically falling asleep on his father’s shoulder.

 

Wooshin frowns in amusement at how energetic his brother was early in the morning. Even the ever bubbly Byunghun was falling asleep on the table, his arms folded on the table and his head buried in it his eyes half lidded with sleep. Meanwhile Chanhun was practically snoring in his high chair that Byunghun had, although overwhelmed by the snooze monster, still managed to slide his son safely into the baby seat before plopping himself down in the seat beside the child.

 

It has been awhile since they had been awake at the break of dawn in some time after all. But today was Byunghun’s first day of work back in Seoul National Hospital and he had to drop Chanhun off at his mother’s place beforehand. Chanhee coincidentally had the same shift so he suggested to give Byunghun a lift to his mother’s place before heading to work together.

 

While on the other hand, Wooshin just wanted to be supportive and send his brother and Byunghun off for work, especially since it was the latter’s first day back to his old job after so long.

 

“Wakey wakey! We can’t have sleepy doctors on the job!” Chanhee puts down plates of scrambled eggs with sausages and kimchi as well as bowls of brown rice on the table, shaking Byunghun awake violently by his right shoulder at the same time.

 

“Shhh don’t wake our son.” Byunghun finally lifts his head up and stifles a yawn as he slaps himself lightly with both his palms against both his cheeks to wake himself up.

 

The boy feels terrible for having to bring wake his son up this early in the morning and leaving him at his mother’s but Chanhee argued that the child can sleep in the car during the ride and wouldn’t even realize he had been disturbed in the wee hours. Byunghun reluctantly agrees to it as he sighs, patting Chanhun’s hair lovingly. It felt like just yesterday he was carrying the child around in a baby carrier and now he’s going to leave his child alone to head to work. Time sure passes in the blink of an eye.

 

===

 

“Hey Lee Byunghun.” Wooshin pokes his head into the kitchen where the pediatrician was washing the dishes after they were done with their breakfast. Chanhee had carried Chanhun into the room to change the boy into his school uniform so that Yewon didn’t have to go through the hassle to do it before sending the boy to kindergarten later in the day.

 

“Yes Lee Wooshin?” Byunghun puts one last dripping wet ceramic plate onto the drying rack before turning around to face the redhead, wiping his hands on his pyjama pants.

 

Wooshin lets out a sly snigger as he shot his left hand out to grab Byunghun’s right hand.

 

“Don’t think I didn’t notice, where did you get this ring?”

 

Byunghun looks away as he cleared his throat uncomfortably, he could feel his cheeks burning once again as the heat spreads from his cheeks down to his neck and also to his ears. The boy felt like his face was about to turn into a big ripe tomato soon.

 

“A few days ago your brother asked to be Chanhun’s father. He wanted us to...” Byunghun stops mid sentence as he looks at the ceiling, fanning himself dramatically and randomly asking Wooshin if it was him or was it getting hot in the kitchen.

 

“Come on Byunghun, spill man.” Wooshin wiggles his eyebrows in excitement and curiosity. His brother and Byunghun were finally going to be together after all the trials and tribulat

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter