Sixteen.

Lifeline.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Loud sirens blasted through the neighbourhood as two ambulances sped through the streets, filtering through the lanes to get to the nearest hospital as quick as they could. Silent beepings could be heard inside the vehicle as the various paramedics fiddles with the many equipment and wires, attaching them onto the casualties.

 

A very weak tug could be felt as a paramedic nurse hurriedly turns her attention to the force. She was a petite young fresh faced lady with her hair twisted into a tight bun to keep her hair away from her face as she worked. Byunghun had regained slight consciousness, using all of the strength he has left he tries to get the paramedic’s attention he tugged with all his might on the sleeve of her uniform, the nearest thing he could reach. The female quickly leans her ear towards him, noticing that he badly wanted to tell her something.

 

“Sa...v..e Jo….ngh….” Byunghun tries his hardest to articulate, he wants to know if Jonghyun was alright. He wants the paramedics to save his brother but he finds himself choking on his own blood that was coming from his oesophagus upwards. Coughing hardly, blood spews out staining the oxygen mask over his nose and mouth a shocking red.

 

The paramedic reacts quickly as she removes the oxygen mask in one swift motion, wiping it clean with a disinfectant wipe before putting it over Byunghun’s small face again. During which she repeatedly yells Byunghun’s name in full in hopes to keep him conscious and responsive. Usually they would recommend their patients to take a rest but Byunghun’s vital signs has been weak and dropping since they had brought him in hence it was essential to keep him as conscious as they possibly could. However, Byunghun’s eyelids had shut themselves tight once again and showed no signs of fluttering open.

 

“We need to step on it.” The paramedics informs the driver as the ambulance speeds up down the road, the sirens blasting louder than ever.

 

===

 

Gurney wheels flew across the cold tiled floors as nurses pushed Jonghyun and Byunghun into the A&E department, past hospital personnels who were shouting across the corridors to communicate information. The head nurse commands the other nurses to aid the A&E doctors in checking on the two badly injured doctors immediately and prepare the patient files for the surgeons to attend to them before commanding another nurse to inform Doctor Andy Lee and his apprentice of both the patient's’ condition and prepare for immediate surgery.

 

Unfortunately Andy had been sent on a missionary trip and his private flight had just left about half an hour back. The head nurse bites down on her lower lip before waving the nurse off to get whichever surgeon available, there was absolutely no time to waste. They were running out of time.

 

Chanhee was checking up on one of his patients when his pager beeped loudly, signalling an urgent message. Which he responds to it immediately and rushes down the hallways to the A&E department. Straightening out his coat just as he arrives, he stops in his tracks when he realises who the patients were. Being a doctor meant that he had to be calm and composed no matter what the situation was but seeing the two men in held so close to heart in such a condition made him shocked to the bone. If he were holding anything in his hands they would have been broken on the floor right now as he felt himself getting immersed in the situation losing his strength.

 

“If one day Byunghun and I needed surgery urgently, if one of us would die without it, who would you choose to save?”

 

The line that Jonghyun had asked him previously just about a few hours back repeated in his head like a sick mantra. Was this supposed to be a joke, is this a test that the both of them wanted to put him through? A tear escaped his eye as he felt himself losing control of his emotions, something he had always had the perfect grip over. Snapping back to reality as he heard the nurse call out to him, he hurriedly walks over while getting the nurses to read out the casualties’ conditions to him.

 

However, he wasn’t really paying attention as the nurses read out and explained their current conditions to him as he kept thinking of the question Jonghyun had earlier on posed to him.

 

“Who would you choose?”

 

“Who would you choose?”

 

Clearly Byunghun was in a worse state as compared to Jonghyun’s relatively stable condition. However Chanhee knew that Jonghyun needed the surgery as much as Byunghun did. If Jonghyun’s puncture wounds were not treated as soon as they could it could lead to further infections and complications.

 

Finally making up his mind, Chanhee takes a deep breath and closes his eyes for a brief second before instructing the nurse to prepare an available operating theatre and prepare Jonghyun for surgery.

 

Jonghyun ah, you must hang on. I pick you, I choose to save you, you must live healthily. I… I love you Jonghyun ah, you’re my boyfriend.

 

===

 

Sohyun was running down the corridors to the A&E department. She received news that the department needed any available surgeon urgently for two patients involved in a serious accident and made her way down to check if they needed any extra help.

The moment she arrived, the LG X-screen she was holding in her hands crashed to the ground when she realised who the casualty was. But she knew as a doctor that this wasn’t the time to run over and shake her best friend while drowning in her own tears. She calmly steps ahead in quick big steps, taking the patient document folder from the nurse’s hands and scanning them very quickly.

 

“Docto

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter