ii. One

Lifeline.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanhee closed his eyes and breathes in deeply, letting go of his grip on the luggage pull handle. It has been nearly five years since he had left. Even though he promised he would come back whenever he could, he didn’t return to Korea even once over the five years he had been in Australia. When he first left, he kept in constant contact with Wooshin but as time goes by all of them got busy with their own lives and slowly all of them drifted apart.

 

Chanhee sighed, many things had changed within these five years he had been away and he definitely didn’t want to think about the past anymore.

 

Walking out of the airport and raising his hand out onto the road to hail a taxi, Chanhee smiles as a taxi pulls up in front of him before he dumps his luggage in the boot before sliding into the back seat.

 

“Can you take me to Seoul please. Thank you,”

 

===

 

“Appa!” A child ran out from his school gates happily, dragging his yellow school bag that had a big bumble bee print on it on the floor behind him.

 

A wide grin tugged on his father’s lips as the man chuckled at how the child’s school bag seemed bigger than the boy himself as he kneeled down to welcome his son into his arms.

 

“How many times have I told you not to drag your bag on the floor Chanhun ah. It’ll get dirty. If it’s too big appa will get another one for you.” The father chided the child gently as he lifted the small child into his arms, balancing him on his hips and wrapping his right hand around the child protectively before taking the yellow school bag from the child and slinging it over left shoulder.

 

“No! I like this one. Halmoni got it for me.” Chanhun pouts as he shook his head animatedly earning a proud peck on his cheek from his father.

 

“Okay sweetie. But don’t drag it on the floor anymore alright? It’ll get dirty.” His father reminds the child firmly as they board the public bus home.

 

===

 

“Appa who’s that?” Chanhun tugs on his father’s hand that was holding his as they walk home together from the bus stop not too far from their home.

 

The father and son duo had returned home, noticing that a brunette was frustratedly ringing their doorbell continuously.

 

“Erm can I help you?” Chanhun’s father puts a hand on the man’s shoulder who turned around in shock at the touch.

 

“Chanhee hyung?!”

 

“Byunghun...”

 

“Appa, who is this ahjusshi?” Chanhun asks Byunghun curiously as he hid behind his father’s back, shy to see a stranger standing in front of their house.

 

Chanhee’s eyes widened to twice the size of how they were originally, which was really huge considering how his eyes were already big even when he smiles.

 

“You… have a child?!” He questions in shock at the fact that the little child had just called Byunghun appa. He alternates his eye contact with Byunghun and the child several times, seeing that Byunghun didn’t respond.

 

“He does kind of look like you...” Chanhee continues his observations as he his chin with his right index finger and thumb thoughtfully.

 

“Do you want to come in? Wooshin is at work right now, he’ll be back soon.”

 

Chanhee took careful note of how Byunghun had changed the topic completely and was sweating bullets in the cool weather.

 

“Wait, Wooshin is working?” Chanhee felt like he was whacked in the face with shock again, he never thought that Wooshin would actually get a job seeing how he was usually very dependent on others.

 

What exactly happened over these five years? Chanhee regrets not taking time to contact his friends and relatives in Korea to keep up with their lives.

 

Byunghun chuckles slightly as he heaved his son into his arms, carrying the child up.

“Why don’t you come in, I’ll make you some tea.”

 

Chanhee nods before taking off his shoes and entering Byunghun’s house. Everything looked just like how it was five years ago, except that baby items were strewn messily around the house now. Toys were lying carelessly on the floor and tables and so were baby books and milk bottles. He smiled slightly when he noticed that Chan Chan was sitting like a king on the sofa. Byunghun still kept that silly bunny plush that Chanhee had gifted with him after so many years.

 

“I’m so sorry it’s such a mess, things have been… hard… with a child.” Byunghun explains as he tried to tidy the place as much as he could, picking up the random toys from the floor and sofa and putting them in a corner after

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter