Five.

Lifeline.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Quick footsteps together with the squeaking of a gurney’s wheels against the floor echoed off the walls of the corridor of Seoul National Hospital. Jonghyun rushes a patient who had been just admitted into the A&E department into the operating theatre to have his wound stitched up after the patient has been given the diagnosis by one of the senior doctors in the department and the latter had given instructions to the houseman under her wing to send him to the operating theatre to stitch up his wound. Jonghyun’s palms were soaked in his perspiration as he rolled the patient into the theatre, he was still nervous about doing stitches on a human. Sure he had been trained a lot on but only on man made skin and he still has not overcame his fear of doing it on an actual patient.

 

He went ahead to wash and sanitize his hands before pulling on his skin tight surgical latex gloves, taking heavy footsteps towards his patient. He felt as though he was treading on hot stones, dreading to proceed with the treatment. He pulled a mask over his face, ignoring the beads of perspiration that was dripping off his forehead from his tension.

 

Various surgical tools lined atop the silver metal movable trolleys, categorized by their uses in various metal trays. A nurse hands him the required medical tool, a surgical suture with a needle and thread as he retrieved them with trembling hands. The young nurse frowned and looked at him in concern as he clenched his teeth at her, subtly shaking his head as though trying to tell her that he couldn’t do it. But the nurse stared back cluelessly as Jonghyun let out a frustrated sigh. He swallowed and glanced up towards his mentor watching him through the glass window with an extremely stern expression, her hands folded across her chest.

 

“I… I really can’t do this.” He closes his eyes shut as he drops the medical tools back onto the silver tray his assistant nurse was holding. The poor boy was still trembling badly.

 

His mentor immediately drops her arms and rushes in to take over the stitching procedure after sanitizing herself.

“We will talk later.” She whispered to Jonghyun, putting an encouraging hand on his shoulder as she proceeded to stitch the patient up with Jonghyun watching on.

 

===

 

Jonghyun sighed deeply as he sat on one of the green rustic metal chairs in the hospital garden. In his hands was a surgical suture with a surgical needle and thread and a small white bolster, one that was commonly used for medical students to practice their stitchings. He stabbed dully at the bolster with the surgical needle with a glum expression on his face, recalling his mentor’s words to him in her office right after the surgical procedure he did not manage to fulfil.

 

“Jonghyun dear, you have a lot of potential and you have been performing very well in all areas. What happened?” Her soft gentle voice comforted him on the inside as he looked down in shame.

 

“You really have to put in more effort and practice more. I won’t be able to give you a good grade if you can’t stitch up a patient. Good luck.” She added before patting him on the back and smiling at him in which he thanked the kind woman profusely for giving him such a chance and for always being so patient and magnanimous with him.

 

Byunghun curiously looked on as Jonghyun stabbed the poor bolster time and again, spotting a pout forming on the latter’s lips. He walked up to Jonghyun and sat beside him without any invitation, earning a soft glare from the other.

 

“What do you want?” He jabbed at Byunghun rudely, still feeling sour from being unable to complete his task previously.

 

Byunghun frowned animatedly trying to figure out why is everyone working in this hospital so mean to him.

“I just wanted to help, you seemed upset.” Byunghun pointed out shrugging, now it was his turn to be upset.

 

Jonghyun turned to Byunghun in surprise. He raised an eyebrow at him discreetly glancing over to his nametag. Lee Byunghun? The almighty Andy Lee’s son? What does he want, tons of doctors up to him why would he want to help a student houseman like him? He pondered over it a little before shifting his attention back to poking the bolster with his surgical suture and needle.

 

“That’s a first. Everyo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter