ii. Twenty five

Lifeline.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The artificial cold air blasting from the air conditioners hit Byunghun’s skin as the boy shivered slightly, crossing his arms and hugging himself as he tries to transfer the warmth of his palms to his uncovered arms. Regretting not bringing a jacket out, the boy sighed as he leaned back against the wall, looking left towards the doctor’s room where Chanhee was inside, having his cast taken off. Chanhun was wandering around the corridor, excitedly darting left and right basking in the attention as the nurses cooed at him as they walked past.

 

“Chanhun ah, come here.” Byunghun finally decides to call out to his son as he raised his arm out to motion for the boy to walk over to his embrace.

 

The child quickly runs over to his father’s side with his short stubby legs just as Chanhee emerges from the doctor’s room, his left fingers wrapped around his right wrist as he rotates his right wrist around and stretches his fingers out.

 

“Hey, sorry did you wait long?” Chanhee questions as he made his way towards the boys, a little concerned when he realized Byunghun seemed to be shivering slightly from the cold.

 

The latter folded his arms across his chest and rolled his eyes.

 

“Yes we did, you owe us a meal now.” He childishly insisted, a perfect pout curled upon his lip as he took Chanhun’s little hand into his own one, making his way down the corridor without waiting for Chanhee.

 

Chanhee just sighs and shakes his head at the childish younger, running up to catch up with Byunghun and grabbing the boy’s arm before he could go any further.

 

“How about a meal and a trip to Lotte World?” Chanhee grins as he sees Byunghun’s eyes twinkling the moment he mentioned Lotte World. Truth is the cardiologist felt a little guilty towards the younger thinking about how he pretended he needed Byunghun around to help him when the boy could have just gone on a date with Myungsoo to Lotte World the other day.

 

“And we can grab bingsu too.” Chanhee adds casually.

 

Byunghun stares at Chanhee, his little almond eyes boring straight into Chanhee’s big doe like ones.

 

“Bingsu?” The boy whispered carefully, enunciating each syllable like it was the most fragile glass in the world.

 

“Ah bingsu! Can we have bingsu?” Byunghun bounced around the mall like a little kid in a candy shop for the first time. His bunny plush bounced along with every hop Byunghun.

Chanhee wanted to hide his face in his hands forever as a number of passerbys started staring at the bouncing grown man. Chanhee wondered where on Earth he still manage to find so much energy after their long shifts. Especially when Byunghun works with one of the most difficult group of patients in the hospital, children.

The cardiologist grabs Byunghun tightly by the arm to stop him from embarrassing the both of them even further.

“Stop bouncing around. We can have bingsu after the movie. No desserts before your meal or you’ll get a stomachache.” Chanhee nags sternly without looking at Byunghun in the eyes.

“You sound like my dad. Yada yada yada like mentor like apprentice boooo...” Byunghun scrunched his nose in annoyance, trailing off when he realised that his face was just an inch apart from Chanhee’s after he turned to face the older.

The both of them stared at each other for a full second as Byunghun swallowed thickly his heart raced as he felt a familiar heat rush to his neck and to his cheeks and finally to his ears, silently praying that an obvious red flush wouldn’t show on his face. Chanhee hurriedly clears his throat and looked in the opposite direction his eyes darting in several directions.

 

“Yeah bingsu. You said you wanted it but we never got to eat it together in the end. Remember?” Chanhee mumbles as he looked at the ground, a little uneasy with how Byunghun was staring straight at him as though his soul left his body.

 

“Yeah of course I remember… I just…. didn’t expect you to remember...” Byunghun rubs his fingers together awkwardly, bringing his gaze down from Chanhee’s eyes to his fingers as he inspected his fingernails like they were the most interesting thing to exist in the universe.

 

“I do so now let’s go grab that bingsu.” The older takes Chanhun into his arms and hauls the child onto left hip and snakes his arms around the child protectively so that he doesn’t fall off.

 

“Hyung, don’t strain yourself your arm just recovered. Let Chanhun walk by himself.” Byunghun’s entire being was wrecked with concern when he saw how Chanhee was exerting a lot of strength to carry his son. Besides, over the past month Chanhee had been spoiling Chanhun a lot and Byunghun wasn’t very fond of the idea of his son being spoilt too often.

 

“It’s alright, our Chanhun isn’t very heavy anyway.” Chanhee smiles as he crinkled his nose and bumped it against Chanhun’s cheek, nuzzling the boy gently as he rubbed his nose on the boy’s chubby cheek.

 

===

 

“Appa I want the ones with strawberries!” Chanhun points his stubby little finger at the picture menu in front of the cashier.

 

The bingsu place was rather empty with just a few couples lounging in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter