Fifteen.

Lifeline.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chanhee pulls Byunghun gently from Sohyun’s embrace as he searched the pediatrician’s pockets quickly.

 

“Damn it, didn’t I remind you to keep an extra inhaler with you.” He grumbles before shouting for a nurse to bring him a damn oxygen tank this instance.

 

The nurse nods flusteredly before rushing off and returning with an oxygen tank attached to an oxygen mask as Chanhee unrolls the tubes professionally and sweeps Byunghun’s hair off his face before placing the mask over the pediatrician’s small face and laid the latter’s head on his shoulder.

 

Seeing that his son is in the good and trained hands of his apprentice, Andy takes off after Yewon. He hasn’t seen Yewon in years and he demands an explanation. What if she wants to take Byunghun away from his father? Andy can’t have that happen, Byunghun is his precious son.

 

“Song Yewon.” Andy finally finds Yewon outside Chanhee’s office where Jonghyun has locked himself in.

 

Yewon turns to her past lover in surprise, Andy has truly aged over the 20 years that they have not met. The fine lines in his skin and the grey hair peeking out of his black roots. Yewon gulps as her eyeline trains onto the floor, unwilling to look at Andy in the eye.

 

“Why did you have to do that?” Andy fiercely grabs Yewon by her shoulder, urging her to look at him which Yewon finally did, pulling her eye level to Andy’s own.

 

“He’s my son Sunho. Don’t I get to see my own son? I never meant to tell him that I’m his mother. It was just a moment of fluster! Do you think I can just stand and see my first son getting humiliated by my younger son in front of everyone else?” Yewon finally breaks down in tears as she squatted onto the ground, burying her face into her hands in exhaustion as the day’s events finally hit her like a bullet train.

 

“The moment you stepped out of the house, Byunghun is no longer your son.” Andy concludes coldly as the both of them heard a soft clicking sound. The sound of someone unlocking a door.

 

“So he’s really your son.” Jonghyun unlocks the door of Chanhee’s office, coming face to face with Andy and his own mother. The one who had hidden such a crucial information from him for the past 20 odd years. Jonghyun couldn’t believe it. It just made his distaste for Byunghun even stronger. Why did he have to take away his boyfriend and now his mother?

 

“Jonghyun ah...” Yewon started only to be cut off by him as he held his hand up to shush his mother from continuing. “I don’t want an elaboration or an explanation. But I just want to make this clear, Lee Byunghun will never be my brother. I will never see him as my hyung. Not now, not ever.”

 

With that he quietly struts away from the both of them, wiping away the tears that were rolling off his cheeks harshly.

 

Andy glances at Yewon who was rooted to the ground. He didn’t exactly know how he was supposed to feel. Back then Yewon left, nearly bringing Byunghun together with her. She broke his heart. But deep down a part of him wanted to say he was sorry, he was sorry for neglecting her, for not loving her enough. But the past was to be left in the past.

 

===

 

Both Yewon and Andy were only 18 when they fell in love. It was a powerful and rash kind of puppy love, one moment they were reading novels together in the library while hiding from the rain and the next moment they were in the dormitory room that Andy lived in hiding under the covers and proclaiming their never ending love for each other.

 

It wasn’t supposed to happen, Yewon wasn’t supposed to get pregnant with Andy’s child. Andy’s parents were furious, how could their straight A perfect son get tangled in such a situation. They wanted their son to break it off with the girl and never see each other again. But Andy wasn’t willing to give up their relationship and much less give up his child that the woman he loved was carrying. And so he brought Yewon with him to Seoul where they managed to rent a small apartment and start their small family.

 

It was a snowing heavily when Byunghun was born. 23 November, Andy and Yewon were blessed with a beautiful son. He was the tiniest baby the couple had ever seen weighing only a mere two kilograms. It was also during that period of time that Andy’s hard work has been paid off and managed to get into medical school. During the day he goes to school and works part time at night to pay for his school fees as well as support his new family. He promised Yewon to marry her once he graduated. It was tough but seeing his baby son bubble and smile at him each time he returned home was enough to push him to work even harder. Yewon singlehandedly raised baby Byunghun, he was a very obedient and bright child who has too many things to say everyday. Yewon loved her son dearly but caring for her son alone proved too much for her especially since she was still very young after all. It wasn’t long before she was too overwhelmed with all the stress and spiraled into a slight depressive state. That was when she met Dongchul. Dongchul was a warm-hearted dancer who owns his own dance academy. He was charming and charismatic not to mention a lot more caring and loving towards Yewon than Andy ever was since he had started being busy with his medical school and part time job. It didn’t take Yewon long to fall in love with Dongchul and decided to elope with him one spring afternoon when Andy was in school. She hurries home to pack all of her belongings as well as Byunghun’s. Young Byunghun was puzzled at his mother’s acts but decided to just laced his tiny hand in hers and follow her along as they both ran out of the house. Yewon flusteredly puts Byunghun into Dongchul’s black Kia Spectra before rushing to load all their belongings into the boot.
 

It just so happened that Andy was feeling under the weather and decided to head home to his girlfriend and son when he noticed Yewon stuffing a whole load of baggage into another man’s car. Smart and extremely sharp, the gears in his brain started turning as he walked up to her and grabbed her hand roughly stopping her actions.

 

“Where are you going?” He firmly questions her.

 

Yewon could see anger burning through his nostrils as Andy glares at her fiercely as she cowers away, trying to pull her hand from Andy’s death grip.

 

“I’m leaving.” She stated, her voice trembling evidently as she tries to open the passenger door to the car but Andy was fast enough to slam the door shut before she could even g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter