ii. Nineteen

Lifeline.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Slotting the metal keys into the keyhole before twisting the lock twice, the big wooden door creaks open revealing the house as Wooshin peeks curiously over his shoulder to see who’s back. Smiling widely at the sight of an asleep Chanhun in Byunghun’s arms, he wheeled himself over to help Byunghun with his duffel bag and bouquet of sunflowers. The child was all curled up in Byunghun’s arms clinging onto his father like a koala. Byunghun couldn’t bear to put his precious angel into the cot seeing how sweetly the child was sleeping in his embrace but his back was killing him and he had to find a vase to put the sunflowers from Chanhee. With a quiet sigh, he finally willed himself to put his son into the cot as gently as he possibly could so that he wouldn’t wake Chanhun in the process before tucking the child in with his little blanket covered in baby chick prints. Soothing Chanhun’s hair with his right palm, he kissed the child on the forehead lightly before leaving the room and closing the door behind him.

 

“So Byunghun, come clean with me who gave you this flowers? Was is Myungsoo hyung?” Wooshin was waiting right outside the room with a silly grin on his face that made Byunghun blush a deep shade of rose red burning right to the tip of his ears. The flowers were still tight in Wooshin’s grip and that man didn’t look like he had any intention of giving Byunghun his flowers back till the boy answers his question.

 

“Your brother gave them to me. Chanhee hyung said I reminded him of these sunflowers.”

 

Wooshin’s gaze softened as he released his death grip on the bouquet and reached out for Byunghun’s right hand with his left one after realizing how Byunghun is affectionately calling his brother Chanhee hyung once again. Sure he loved his own brother but at the same time spending so many years with Byunghun made Wooshin love the said too. He just couldn’t see the innocent Byunghun hurt by his own brother again.

 

Byunghun on the other hand felt a tear burn his cheek as he thought of the time when Chanhee had bought him the bunny plush Chan Chan when he was admitted to the hospital after his asthma and panic attack. Chanhee had told him the bunny reminded him of Byunghun, just like how these sunflowers reminded him of Byunghun. Maybe Chanhee had Byunghun in his mind after all. Byunghun didn’t want to give himself hope but it was the smallest hope of this sort that kept the naivety and innocence in Byunghun alive.

 

“Byunghun...” Wooshin finally decides to break Byunghun’s train of thoughts seeing that the latter seemed rather distracted.

“You should get a vase for these.” He motioned at the sunflowers in his hands before heading into the kitchen, remembering that they had a rather large vase in the storage room at the back of the kitchen.

 

Byunghun took the vase and bouquet from Wooshin before undoing the crepe paper that was messily wrapped around the stalks, putting the stalks of sunflower in one by one a small smile graces Byunghun’s lips. He never thought receiving flowers from Chanhee made him this happy. Finally done with all the flowers, he took a jug and filled it it with tap water before pouring the water into the vase and brought the vase out to the windowsill where the sun shines to ensure that the sunflowers stay fresh. Folding the crepe papers neatly, Byunghun gathered the rope that was used to secure the stalks of flowers and placed them on top of the crepe papers before putting them into a box. Unlocking the study, he placed the box on the table right beside the framed photo of himself and Chanhee before writing a short note on the box.

 

“2nd October - Chanhee’s self wrapped sunflowers.”

 

===

 

“Chanhee hyung, let me tell you the way to a man’s heart. And that is through his stomach!” Ricky excitedly drags Chanhee into the kitchen, passing a rather exasperated Yewon and a jealous Jonghyun.

 

Clearly Yewon wasn’t happy over the fact that the man who had hurt her precious son is literally inside her house and Jonghyun was just plain jealous over the fact that his boyfriend was holding onto Chanhee like no tomorrow.

 

Chanhee had called Jonghyun up to ask if the latter knew how to bake so that he could bake pretty heart shaped cookies for Byunghun which Jonghyun didn’t know how but fortunately Ricky did. Which was why Chanhee was in the Choi’s household and literally being dragged across the house by an extremely excited Ricky much to Jonghyun’s annoyance.

 

“So I’m assuming that’s how you won Jonghyun’s heart over?” Chanhee mused as he leaned heavily on the countertop that had several baking bowls sitting on it and packets of flour and sugar as well as other baking ingredients and necessities.

 

Ricky just chuckled and winked at Chanhee playfully. It was true that he had won Jonghyun over with the cookies he had baked for the other every morning that he had packed neatly in cute bento boxes decorated with a different coloured ribbon every time.

 

“To show your sincerity, the cookies shouldn’t just be of one flavor. It will take a lot more time and effort but I promise you Byunghun hyung will be sold when he realized all the cookies are filled with different delicious cream oozi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter