ii. Twenty (2)

Lifeline.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Happy April Fool’s yall! Now moving on to the real chapter…

 

===

 

Fingers drummed against the well polished acrylic tabletop, making a muted rhythmic thumping sound in the uncomfortably silent room with the only other sound coming from the soft humming of the air conditioner running. Myungsoo sits in the overwhelming silence, his other hand under his chin deep in thought, the stack of photos stacked up beside him. Finally the door creaks open as Hyojin struts in, eyes followed her throughout her entire walk from the door to the chair on the other side of the table where Myungsoo was sitting.

 

“Why are you staring at me like that Kim Myungsoo.” The lady twirls slightly in her swivel chair, showing her careless attitude and arrogant stance.

 

“I don’t think you have the right to question me right now Kim Hyojin.” The man loses his cool as he flung the photographs in her face. The prints flies in the air and slaps Hyojin straight in the face, some landing on the ground while others on her lap.

 

The woman lets out a smirk as she lifts her fingers to graze a paper cut on a left cheek, left behind by the sharp edge of one of the photographs. She made a mental note to get rid Jung Joonyoung, she has after all made complete use of him and the boy is of no use to her anymore.

 

“I thought you already knew I hated him from the start.” The woman just looks straight back at her husband without shame and completely unthreatened.

 

Hyojin tries to keep her calm in front of Myungsoo but hiding beneath the careless and arrogant facade, her heart was thumping faster than the drums at a rock band concert. What would happen to her now, would Myungsoo insist she apologize to Byunghun? she couldn’t subject herself to such humiliation, Byunghun was nothing but a dirty , it would be the greatest insult to her.

 

“Byunghun has nothing against you! How could you do this to him!” Myungsoo finally loses his cool and pushing his chair back as he stands up with so much force that the chair topples onto the ground with a loud crash. The man slammed his hands down on the table hard, a loud thwack echos throughout the entire room.

 

If Myungsoo’s glare could kill, Hyojin would have been dead by now. The man’s eyes flamed with fury, his pupils enlarging nearly twice its normal size. Following Myungsoo’s outburst Hyojin could feel the boiling fire at the pit of her stomach explode too. Why was her husband always on Byunghun’s side? He was married to her why couldn’t he even glance her way even once? Does he really not know why she hated him that much? All she wanted was a tiny fraction of attention from Myungsoo. She was his legal wife after all, arranged marriage or not. She was a woman, she needed to be loved as well.

 

“Answer me honestly Myungsoo, do you like Lee Byunghun?”

 

“So what if I do? What if I don’t just like him? What if I love him?” Myungsoo smugly folds his arms across his chest, enunciating the every syllable clearly and slowly. He just couldn’t deny he had unsettling feelings for the younger.

 

Ever since their high school days, Myungsoo had been smitten with Byunghun. It didn’t exactly come as a surprise, the said was too beautiful for his own good. Back then almost everyone would have a tiny infatuation towards Byunghun, boys or girls alike. Myungsoo had fallen heads over heels for Byunghun and followed the other around like a puppy but the innocent Byunghun never realized Myungsoo had taken a liking for him. Not even up till today because Myungsoo knew, coming from a prestigious family he had to marry a woman that his parents liked and given Byunghun’s single parent family background his mother would rather get burnt alive than allow Myungsoo to get together with Byunghun. Which was why for the sake of his family, himself and also Byunghun, he decided to bury his feelings where no one could touch it, deep deep deep inside his heart.

 

“Well I can’t believe someone of such a high status like you would fall in love with a disgusting dirty bag.” Hyojin seethed, standing up from the chair and leaning towards Myungsoo, pulling his tie towards her as she dragged him nearer. The said made no attempt to struggle or pull away, maintaining his smug expression while glaring at his wife.

“I swear you’ll regret it.” Using every ounce of her strength, she pushes Myungsoo away from her as he stumbled backwards.

 

Giving her husband one last sideway glance from the corner of her eye, she leaves the room slamming the door harshly in the process causing bits of wooden shavings from the hinge to flutter onto the ground before descending the stairs with a determined menacing cheshire cat smile.

 

===

 

“Wooshin, what do you think of me going back to Seoul National Hospital to work?” Byunghun casually chimed, putting a wet plate on the drying rack as he reaches for another soap covered one to rinse under the running tap in the sink.

 

Wooshin raised his eyebrows as he wheeled himself to Byunghun’s side after picking up a carton of soybean milk from the fridge.

 

“Of course that would be great! But why the sudden decision?” The boy frowned in confusion, although happy that Byunghun was finally thinking of going back to the job he was always so passionate about he was concerned as to why the sudden decision. Byunghun did mention before he couldn’t just quit his housekeeping job at Myungsoo’s because he was indebted to the man.

 

“I was just thinking about how Chanhun is big enough to look after himself now that he’s almost five. I wouldn’t have to be by his side all the time anymore.” Byunghun smiles slightly, proud of how his son was growing up well. It wouldn’t be long before the child would be drinking alcohol instead of milk.

“Plus Myungsoo hyung texted me this morning saying he wouldn’t be able to use my services

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter