Mandarin Chinese Class

Like Oh [check last chapter for revamped]
Please log in to read the full chapter

Vicky entered the classroom of her afternoon class at Seoul Community College. She was taking a beginner's language course of Mandarin Chinese. Vicky was surprised that there was even a language course for Mandarin, but then again when she attended back in 2014, she was even more surprise that there was a community college itself. She figured she would have turned out like her sister, Natalie, and friend, Jenny, who were attending an actual university called Seoul National University, since South Korea was known for its great educational system. Anyhow, after about two years, she was still attending the said community college with no thoughts of going to a university just yet.

Vicky found herself a bit early, and took to the back of the classroom. It wasn't because she didn't like learning, she just preferred to sit in the back because it was closer to the door to leave once it was over. Plus, she was never one for socializing, although she knew how important it was in South Korea, and somehow tried to balance it without seeming rude and impolite. Anyhow, she just smiled warmly and bowed her head to the few people who were already there waiting for the teacher to show up. While waiting, she brought out her materials. The required textbook for the class, her cute pencil case filled with necessarily writing tools, and a notebook to write in. Vicky was always prepared and liked having her things ready before the start of class. It kept her busy and also avoid talking with people.

As Vicky was busy messing with her things, more people started to enter the classroom, and she didn't pay attention to the person who took the seat one over next to her. She shot the person a very quick glance with a small smile although she didn't really see the person, but resumed with fiddling with her purple pen which was itching to write something down instead. In the midst of writing her name in Chinese in her notebook, the person spoke, and it was a male voice. "There's a textbook for this class?" He asked her in Korean. Vicky nodded her head while simply replying with a 'ye' in Korean. A few seconds later, she heard him speak again. "Do you mind if I look at yours?" Vicky shook her head as she used her left hand to slide her book over to him. Out of her peripherals, she saw the guy take the textbook with his right hand and noticed there was a scar on the back of his hand as he opened it to skim the contents.

"How come he didn't get a textbook?" Vicky muttered to herself in English as she hoped he didn't hear her as she didn't want to seem rude. Vicky knew that being rude is highly disrespectful in South Korea, too. "Thanks." She then heard the guy say as he placed her textbook near her. Vicky just nodded her head as she realized he spoke in English. "Shiet... he knows English." Vicky mentally facepalmed herself. "Ahh, fcuk... he heard me then." Vicky then heard the guy chuckle and then cast him a sideways glance. She still couldn't see him clearly as his hoodie covered him up, but she found his side profile familiar looking in a sense. "Sorry." She apologized softly and took her book back. "It's okay. Don't worry about it." He replied back in a friendly tone. The tone of his voice sounded familiar, too, but then again, many things were familiar to her from time to time.

During their small interaction, all the students have filed in and the teacher finally arrived to announce the start of class. They all greeted the teacher before she began to talk in both Korean and Mandarin, but then switched to Korean for the majority of it. "Welcome to Beginner's Mandarin Chinese I, everyone. I am Teacher Cuī. I will be passing out a syllabus that will outline what I have planned for this class and the rules for you all to follow through for this semester." Teacher Cuī began as she passed out the said syllabus. "Within this syllabus, at the end of the packet there is an agreement that you must sign and turn it in to me next time we see each other. I will need it turned in no later than next week on Thursday." She explained before continuing.

"Another announcement I have to make and hope that you all will respect, is that there is a special person attending this class course and I hope that you will all treat him like any normal person. By normal, meaning just like you and I. Anyhow, there will be no special treatment whatsoever, even if he is a rising and popular idol. By you, or by me, he is to be treated like any one of us. Unless otherwise stated. Please respect him and those around you. Don't cause any inconveniences that will disrupt this class, or have you fail because of it. Alright?" Teacher Cuī looked at everyone as everyone agreed silently. "Good. Please warmly respect Mark of GOT7 and treat him well."

As soon as she said that, there were hushed whispers going on, especially amongst the female students. Vicky tilted her head in amusement while thinking that the teacher had already put the guy on the spot already.  She then let out a small smile while shaking her head at the whispers of the others still going on. "I feel sorry for the guy." She let out in English. "Me, too." The guy next to her agreed. Vicky nodded her head in agreement and didn't look over at him as she was too busy going through the syllabus ahead of the teacher and began marking things that were important and doodling out of habit. It helped and distracted her at times. Mostly, it was just to help make the class time passed by quickly.

"Quiet down, class." Teacher Cuī soon spoke. "Please, quiet down. Thank you." She let out once the chatter finally quieted down. "Yes, the idea of a celebrity in our presence is amazing, but please remember that we're all here for learning and not idolizing." Teacher Cuī reminded her students. "Now, let's begin our lesson with getting to know one another." Teacher Cuī passed out another sheet of paper. "With this sheet of paper in front of you, please find a partner to learn a bit about them, and then we'll introduce them to the class. I have already counted how many of you are here and there is an even number for everyone to pair off. You have about ten to fifteen minutes to find out about your classmate and to answer as much as you're able to on the sheet, too. Let's begin." Teacher Cuī then took a seat at her desk while glancing at the clock and sorting through her materials.

Once that happened, Vicky scanned the sheet of paper and saw that it was in both Korean and Mandarin and was happy about that. As she was reviewing the sheet, Vicky then heard the rushing of footsteps that soon surrounded the table she was seated in. She lifted her head and saw that majority of the students were gathered at her table, not because of her, but because of the person next to her. She heard them all asking to interview the guy, and she gave them weird looks. Just as Vicky was about to get up and walk away to introduce herself to someone that wasn't surrounding the table, she felt a grip on her elbow. "She's already my partner. Sorry." She heard the guy telling those around him. Vicky bowed her head apologetic at them for not being able to be partners with the guy, but she felt they just gave her cold looks instead as they all walked away.

"Ahh... why they look so mean?" Vicky muttered to herself in English as she frowned and then looked down at the sheet of paper in front of her. "I think it's because they weren't lucky enough to be my partner. It's not your fault. Sorry for that." The guy apologized in English. "Why do you need to apologize?" Vicky asked him as she finally turned to look at the guy. Now she knew why. It was Mark of GOT7, sitting right there next to her and her partner for this introduction assignment. Vicky hoped that her face didn't give away that she was surprise and that she knew who he was. It must have worked since Mark seemed surprised that she didn't respond the way he thought she would have responded like the others. "Um, never mind. Let's start, shall we?" He smiled at her genuinely. "Sure." Vicky returned the smile.

Mark began first in Korean. "What is the Chinese name you are going by?" "Cài Wěi Qí." Vicky answered as she then wrote down the characters used for her Chinese name to show him. "Yours?" "Duàn Yí Ēn." Mark replied as he did the same thing and wrote down the characters for his name to show her. "What's your major?" "Currently still thinking about it. You?" "Oh, you too? I don't have one yet, but I think I might major in Music." "Well, good luck if you do major in Music." "Thanks." He glanced at her quickly before looking down. "Good luck to you, too, on finding your major. Um, what's your favorite color?" "I have a lot, but I mainly like pastel colors." She smiled at him. "You?"

"Just pastel?" He raised an eyebrow in a teasing manner and then eyed her purple pen. "Fine, you can put down the color purple." She shook her pen at him. "Your favorite color?" "I like red and all its shades." He answered and then commented in English, "Including the color of your hair." Mark pointed out. "It's magenta thank you very much." Vicky corrected him playfully in English. "It's not red, but I guess you can kinda say it's a shade of sort." "You all have seven minutes left." Teach Cuī soon announced after several minutes passed.

"Oh wow." Vicky let out surprised in English before continuing in Korean. "Let's get going. Anyways, do you have any siblings or are you an only child?" "I have three siblings. Two older sisters, and a younger brother. I'm the third child." Mark answered quickly. "Oh, me too!" Vicky smiled at him. "But I have two older brothers, a younger sister, and two younger brothers." "That's a lot of kids." "Tell me about it." She then switched to English. "Um, favorite food? What are your hobbies? How do you know English?" Mark let o

Please log in to read the full chapter