Chapter Forty

Day By Day {MYNAME}

It was almost 6:30 when we left the shopping centre and by the time Zelo and Ricky had walked me home it was about 7:40 and mostly dark, except for the street lights spotlighting the sidewalk. I waved Zelo and Ricky down the street and unlocked the front door, the lights inside were already on and the whole house smelled of Kong Namul Guk (Soybean Sprout Soup) Jiyeon likes to cook that for me when I'm sick.

I found her in the kitchen cooking away, I placed my bag on the counter and frowned at her.

"What?"

"Why are you here instead of at your apartment?"

"Can't I come and see my sister?"

"At 8pm?"

"Well I was here at four,"

"Oh, you should have called,"

"Probably," she nodded.

"So, why are you making Kong Namul Guk?"

"Oh, I got bored, I was going to have dinner here anyway and I figured people would be hungry when they got home,"

"Yeah, but why Kong Namul Guk? Normally you only make this when I'm sick,"

"I'm trying to get healthier, I was talking to some of the models and they suggested a few thing, so I thought, why not?"

"Seriously? You've never been one for diets and beauty trends,"

"It's not a diet, I'm just cutting a few things out of my current diet,"

"Like?"

"So I hear you're not sleeping so well?" she changed the subject.

"Seyong told you?"

"No, Seyong knew? Why didn't you tell me?" she frowned sounding a little offended.

"It's nothing, I'm just...adjusting," I shrugged.

"Is that all?"

"I've never had my own room, we've always shared and even when you weren't there you're stuff was, I'm just getting used to being on my own,"

"You make it sound like I abandoned you," she frowned looking guilty.

"No, I'm just saying it's going to take a little while to get used to, it's fine,"

"So there's no other reason you're not sleeping?" she looked at me sceptically.

"Like?" I raised an eyebrow.

"You're not having those dreams again?"

"Maybe a few times," I sighed.

"A few?"

"Want to see what a bought for my date tomorrow?" I tried to change the subject.

"Sure, and you can tell how many a few is,"

"It's no big deal, just a few times a week,"

"A few times a week?"

"Yeah, only on the days that end in y," I shrugged walking up the stairs.

"For how long?"

"Two, maybe three weeks?" I shrugged again.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"Because you would have tried to send me to a therapist again,"

"Well, clearly there's an underlining problem if it's recurring,"

"The last one told you that it was because I was blaming myself for it, and that took three months for him to work out,"

"Because you refused to talk to him, everytime you went into the office you had an anxiety attack and we had to take you home,"

"Because he made me go through it over and over again,"

"To show you it wasn't your fault,"

"It was my fault,"

"No it wasn't, they were arguing, they weren't paying attention to the road, you have no part in that,"

JIYEON

"I don't want to talk about it anymore, and I'm not going to see a therapist. I'm going to shower and then get some studying done," she sighed walking through to the bathroom and shutting the door.

I sighed and made my way back downstairs, I sunk into the lounge after turning the soup off. She used to have reoccurring dreams when she was younger, just after the death of our parents. The dream was about the accident and it would keep her up for days. Gunwoo and I had thought a therapist would be a good idea.

The first session she went in with no problem, then it took weeks to get her back into the office. After that, she just sat there silently refusing to talk to him. It took me going in with her for her to finally talk about it, honestly I hadn't really known what had happened before that day, neither had Gunwoo. She didn't even talk to the police after the accident, the guy that had pulled her from the water had been the one to talk to the police because he'd seen the whole thing.

SEYONG

When we got home Jiyeon was asleep across the lounge, she'd messaged Insoo a few hours ago telling him she's waiting for him here, I guess she was just worried about Eunji. Insoo sighed and carefully picked her up telling me he'd see us tomorrow and then he took her home.

Everyone else sat down to eat but I went up to check on Eunji, I doubted she'd be asleep. She wasn't. She was lying on her bed leaning against the headboard with her eyes closed and her headphones in, I would have thought she was asleep if she wasn't humming along to whatever she was listening too. Her books were all in a pile on the floor at the foot of her bed, I guess she'd given up on studying for the night.

I made my way into the room, she was wearing the jumper I'd left her to wear this morning, with a pair of grey sweat pants. I sat down at the end of the bed and she let out a sigh and frowned, until she realised it was me, then she relaxed her expression and gave me a small smile.

"You're home early," she said as she pulled the headphones from her ears.

"Not by much, but apparently a good nights sleep is a good idea before participating in a sporting event,"

"They'd be right," she nodded with a small smile, reaching for her glasses on the side table.

"So what did you do today?" I laid down across the bottom of the bed resting my head on my elbow so I could look at her properly.

"University," she shrugged tying her hair up into a messy bun.

"We're doing some American themed fundraisers to get the auditorium fixed,"

"Like a carwash?" I frowned. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see her in a bikini but I don't want her walking around flaunting it to strangers, or really any other guy.

"God no, there was an argument about that actually, the solution was to have a carnival at just after graduation in a month. It actually sounds like a lot of fun, I'm kind of excited even though I'll technically be working,"

"So what are you doing?"

"Food, I'm going to get Ji to help me with the cooking if she isn't busy,"

"She was asleep downstairs when we got home,"

"Oh, yeah I forgot she was here," she looked down at her lap.

"You okay?"

"It's nothing,"

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah," whatever it was she didn't want to talk about it.

"I see you took me advice this morning," I referred to the jumper.

"Yeah, I'm glad I did, it got really cold when it started getting dark, I would have frozen to death walking home without it,"

"You were at the university until dark?" I frowned.

"Oh, no. Ricky and I went shopping and then Zelo met us there and we had something to eat. They walked me home though, so don't worry,"

"You should get some sleep, we've got to be leaving here at about 5:30-6 tomorrow morning,"

"You should sleep too,"

"I've got to go eat something,"

"Do you want me to make you something?"

"There's food down there?"

"It's Jiyeon's remedy to a cold,"

"Were you sick?" I frowned.

"No, she's having some kind of health crazy,"

"Oh, it's okay. You get some sleep and I'll find something,"

"I'm not tired," she shrugged.

"Did you eat yet?"

"No,"

"Do you want to come to the night market?"

"It's almost 11, I can just cook you something," she frowned.

"I really want street food, do you want to come?"

"Okay, just let me get changed," she nodded.

EUNJI

He left the room and I changed back into light blue skinny jeans, I untied my hair and tied it back up in an attempt to make it more presentable; it made no difference. I sighed pushing my glasses up my nose, there was really no point in putting contacts in. I grabbed my phone and made my way downstairs where Seyong was waiting by the front door.

"Ready?"

"Ready," I nodded pulling on a pair of white sneakers.

He'd placed himself between me and the road and we walked silently down the street towards the market which was only about a ten-minute walk from the dorm. After a minute of silence, his fingers laced through mine, I pulled the sleeve of the jumper up slightly so I could hold his hand properly.

"You did that the first time we walked to the market together," I stated.

"Did what?"

"Walked between me and the road. Of course, you didn't want to go and your excuse for it was something like, my death would cause a distraction or something,"

"Yeah, well I was an jerk, the man should always walk between the girl and the road, in case there is some idiot that doesn't know how to drive, or we walk by a puddle as a car passes. It's the gentleman thing to do, keep their girl safe from harm, or even getting a little wet," he shrugged, I wasn't really sure how to respond.

"Are you nervous about tomorrow?" I asked.

"Kind of, but it's not like we haven't been out alone before," he said thoughtfully.

"I meant about Dream Team," I stated.

"Oh, not really. It's sport, I'm good at sport," he shrugged.

"You're nervous about our date?"

"Why do you sound surprised?"

"You're always so overly confident, I didn't expect you to be nervous over something like that," I shrugged.

"Are you nervous?"

"Well yeah, but I've never been on a date before," I shrugged again.

"You think I have?"

"You've taken girls out before,"

"Yeah but they weren't real dates,"

"What were they then?"

"They were just," he paused.

"What do you want to eat?" he changed the subject pointing at the market entrance.

"I don't know, you wanted the street food,"

INSOO

I carried her into the bedroom and carefully placed her in bed, pulling her shoes from her feet before covering her with the blanket. It wasn't that late, but she'd been kind of tired lately, she'd been working a lot which was good, I was happy that she was doing something she enjoyed. But I wasn't so sure about her manager, he rang her all hours of the day and night and he picked her up in his car, and it wasn't a company car, which struck me as odd.

I hadn't eaten yet so I made my way into the kitchen to make something before I went to bed. I frowned when I opened the fridge, even more so when I looked in the cupboard. Where was all the real food? Everything that tasted good had been replaced by something that was low carb, low fat, no wheat, high in fibre, even the red meat was gone. There was just fish and frozen vegetables.

The only thing that remained of the usual contents were the side dishes. I resisted the urge to wake her up so I could find out why our food had been replaced with that of a health fanatic. Instead, I pulled out a few containers filled with side dishes. I closed our bedroom door and sat on the lounge flicking through channels as I ate pickled radish.

SEYONG

It was almost 2 when we finally got home, I honestly don't know how that much time passed by so quickly. We would probably still be there if she hadn't of checked the time and insisted that we come home because I needed to get some sleep for tomorrow.

We walked up the stairs, hand in hand, and I walked her to her bedroom door. She just stared at me for a moment until I let go of her hand.

"I'll see you in the morning," I said, she gave a small nod.

"Good night Eunji," I turned to walk away.

"Seyong," she called as I reached my door.

"Mm?"

"Can you, ah, I haven't been sleeping properly lately, unless you, ah, would you mind," she frowned attempting to phrase what she was trying to say.

"Nevermind," she sighed.

"You want me to sleep in there with you?"

"It's silly, not worry about it," she bit her bottom lip turning away.

"Just let me get changed and then I'll be back,"

"You don't have to, it's okay,"

"It's fine, you're bed's more comfortable than mine anyway," I shrugged.

EUNJI

He came back five minutes later in a pair of black pyjama pants and a plain white tee shirt with a blue pocket on the left pec. He kind of hesitated when he reached the bed I was already comfortably sat in.

"Do you mind?" he checked even though it was my idea.

"Go ahead," I shrugged, apparently it was awkward when he didn't just fall asleep here.

He got under the blanket, adjusted the pillows and laid down facing me.

"Good night Eunji,"

***

I woke up the next morning to my alarm, I was curled up into Seyong's side, my head on his chest with one arm draped over it, his arm was wrapped around my shoulder. Somehow he'd managed to sleep through my alarm and his chest continued to rise and fall at a steady pace. I yawned and sat up stretching, I heard the front door open and close then steps; I guess Insoo and Jiyeon were here.

"Seyong," I yawned shaking his shoulder a little.

"Mm,"

"Time to get up,"

"I don't want to," he grumbled.

"You have to,"

"What's going on?" Jiyeon was standing in the doorway, Insoo right behind her with a slight smirk.

"Sleeping, go away," Seyong grumbled some more.

"Why are you in the same bed?" she raised an eyebrow.

"It pretty much the only time I can sleep properly, I asked him too,"

"You're too noisy," Seyong sighed burrowing his head under the pillows.

"Get up, we've got to get going," Insoo entered the room sitting on the lump beneath the blanket that was Seyong.

"Get off me, I can't breathe," he muttered.

"You sound fine to me,"

I frowned at them and got out of bed to get ready. I walked into the wardrobe and picked up the bag of clothes I'd bought yesterday and getting a few other essentials before making my way to the bathroom where Jiyeon was already waiting for me.

"What?"

"What's going on?" she pointed to the bedroom.

"Nothing,"

"You're just sleeping in the same bed as Seyong?" she raised an eyebrow.

"Can we talk about this after I shower?"

"I guess," she sighed leaving the bathroom.

I locked the door behind her and got in the shower.

SEYONG

"You sound fine to me," he stated, the weight in the bed shifted there was a rush of cold air when Eunji got out from beneath the blanket.

"Seriously, you're heavy," I groaned trying to push him off.

"Are you going to get up?"

"I can't if your fat is on me,"

"You're so mean to me," he huffed getting off.

"Don't be a baby,"

"You're a baby,"

"Mature," I frowned.

"Shouldn't you be getting up and ready? Not just lying in my sister's bed?" Jiyeon raised an eyebrow crossing her arms over her chest.

"Ji," Insoo gave her a look.

"What?"

"Why don't we wait downstairs?" he ushered her out the door.

EUNJI

Seyong was no longer in my bed when I came out of the bathroom, he wasn't in the room at all. I tied my hair back into a ponytail and made my way downstairs. Jiyeon and Insoo were sitting at the breakfast bar talking quietly. Gunwoo and Chaejin were dressed and sitting on the lounge flicking through channels, JunQ joined them when he came downstairs, everyone was ready to go except Seyong who still hadn't come out of his bedroom.

"Is everyone ready?" Han Seung, their manager came into the room. I honestly don't remember the last time I'd seen him. I mean I hear him come home later than everyone else and he leaves with the boys in the morning but when they have a day off he is either in his room or at the company.

"Everyone but Seyong," Insoo nodded.

"I'm right here," he came out from behind Han Seung.

"So we can go now?" Han Seung asked, no one objected.

***

"So are you going to tell me what I walked in on this morning?" Jiyeon asked once we sat down with the other three while Insoo and Seyong stretched. They were running an obstacle course which looked difficult.

"You walked in on us sleeping, well I'd just woken up," I shrugged.

"Why were you sleeping together?"

"Because I asked him to sleep in there with me,"

"Why?"

"Because I can actually get some sleep when he's there, I don't have the dreams,"

"You guys didn't..."

"What? No, we haven't even kissed yet," I frowned.

"Seriously?" she finally smiled, she even laughed slight.

"What?"

"You two can sleep in the same bed, but you haven't kissed?" she raised an eyebrow.

"What's your point?"

"You two are a seriously weird couple,"

"Says she who met her boyfriend on a one night stand in the bathroom of a club,"

"What? That's completely normal,"

"If you say so,"

INSOO

"How mad is Jiyeon?"

"She seems fine now," I said pointing to the girls who were laughing.

"How mad was she?"

"She was grumpy when she woke up this morning," I shrugged.

"Why? What'd you do?"

"Why do you assume I did anything?"

"I don't know,"

"Her moods been weird lately, I figured it was just a girl thing but now she's on some kind of health crazy. You should see our cupboards, and the fridge and freezer. It makes me want to cry,"

"Why?"

"There's no red meat, and all the good foods with fat and oils and everything that tastes good have been replaced with low carb, high fibre, health freak foods,"

"See, I'm not the only one who thinks you're getting fat," he smirked.

"I'm serious," I sighed,

"So am I, those love handles are getting to be more of a muffin top, and soon you'll look like a marshmallow,"

"You're no help,"

"Look, she's probably trying to get healthy. She's a model and she probably thinks she's helping you what with us debuting and you getting fat,"

"I'm not getting fat," I rolled my eyes.

"If you say so pudgy,"

EUNJI

The cameras started and the hosts introduced all the those competing, one by one. Insoo went before Seyong, he hit the button and ran across the first obstacle; foam squares had been piled up into a tower that reached the starting podium which was just over two meters high, he made it over the six towers in no time. The next obstacle you had to slid on your stomach over three big exercise balls across a ramp which again he had no issue with. Then there was three platforms spaced about half a meter apart that he had to run across, but the platforms seesawed when you did so.

So far he hadn't had an issue but neither had anyone else in that part of the course. The next section was rotating monkey bars that stretched out over a pool of water. It was roughly a two and a half, maybe a three-meter drop, and they stretched out four maybe five meters. He had to work his way across them and land on the little podium in the water but the podium itself wasn't very wide if he didn't land properly he was going to slip.

He began making his way across, Jiyeon tensed up next to me but he was fine, he slid himself through the gaps as the bars turned, he landed without an issue then jumped up to the next podium. He had to sit on the swing and swing across to grab onto, what look to my like a large upside-down, inflatable microphone, then land on the little podium beneath it. He sung across and gripped the inflatable microphone, but slipped and fell into the water.

He didn't seem to upset over it, the host came over and talked to him for a moment before he got out of the pool he'd landed in, he sent an encouraging message to Seyong and then got out of the water.

Seyong was next and didn't seem to have any issue with the course until the rotating monkey bars where he fell into the water. He seemed more annoyed at himself than anyone else, but from what I understand he's competitive and judges himself more harshly than anyone else could judge him.

He got out and dried off, talking with Insoo while the other contestants went through the course, apparently no one else could get through the course either so they gave those who got the furthest in the quickest time a second chance. Once again Insoo went first, but only made it to the rotating monkey bars, this time, he almost had it but he misjudged the distance between him and the podium and as he dropped he slipped and fell into the water. It looked like it hurt, but he showed no signs of pain.

Once again Seyong ran the course, this time tipping over the six towers at the beginning, I don't think the guy who had to restack them was too happy. He was doing well but unfortunately, he fell into the water at the same spot as his first run, he was even less enthused about it when he surfaces.

We stayed until the show was finished filming for this episode, it was about 4:30 when we finally left the location. I had no idea that it took that long to film an episode. Everyone was pretty worn out and Insoo seemed kind of grumpy, I didn't know whether it was from losing or the long day with only a little sleep. Jiyeon was also kind of grumpy, JunQ and Chaejin had fallen asleep in the back of the car, they'd been exhausted this morning and being out in the sun all day had just drained them more. Gunwoo had taken a taxi from the location to go meet up with some friends for what was left of the day.

Insoo and Jiyeon had gone straight back to their apartment, Seyong wanted to shower before taking me out to dinner which was fine, I didn't expect him to go out after spending the whole day in the sun, running and being dropped into water. Besides it gave me time to fix my hair and put on some makeup that I hadn't been bothered with this morning.

We got home and Seyong went straight upstairs to shower, JunQ and Chaejin shuffled themselves up to their room to go to sleep. Their manager decided to order some food for when they woke up. I made my way to my room and went through to the bathroom.

I let my hair out of the ponytail and ran the hairbrush through it. I quickly put on some foundation, some eyeliner and mascara, after a little bit of pink lip balm and slipping on a pair of black stockings, I left the bathroom, grabbed my bag and white jumper and went to wait for Seyong downstairs.

"Are you ready?" he came downstairs 30 minutes later completely ready to go out, he was wearing basically all black; skinny jeans, tee shirt and a blazer, the only colour was the purple scarf knotted around his neck and the red of his hair which was his usual straight style. He swept his finger across his eyebrows to move his bangs from his face.

He opened the front door and gestured for me to go first, I was so nervous I had to pull my sleeves over me hands to hide the fact they were kind of shaking. He followed me out and he opened the car door for me before getting into the drivers seat.

"I didn't know you drove,"

"I don't,"

"What?" I frowned.

"I'm kidding, I have my licence, I just haven't needed to drive," he shrugged.

"Oh," I nodded.

"You look nice," he said as he started the car.

"So do you,"

***

He pulled my seat out for me when we got to the restaurant. We'd been seated outside, but that was okay because it wasn't too cold right now, the restaurant itself was a London kind of theme, outside had a middle ages kind of feel with the exposed brick wall of the restaurant itself and then the second wall creating a sort of ally courtyard kind of thing. Trees had grown over the wall and the leafy branches worked as a roof.

"This is weird, huh?" he asked fiddling with corner of the menu.

"I don't know," I shrugged.