Chapter 9

After a Minute

          The next day, Yesung and Ryeowook walked into their math class together holding hands. “This is so strange, people keep looking at us,” Ryeowook said quietly as he and Yesung walked to their desks.

          “They’re probably jealous that your my boyfriend and not theirs,” Yesung replied as he gave Ryeowook a small kiss on the cheek.

          Ryeowook blushed as they sat down at their desks. “You’re my very first boyfriend Yesung,” he informed.

          “Well it’s an honor to be your first boyfriend, you are also my first boyfriend,” Yesung responded, causing Ryeowook to blush more.

          Sungmin nervously clenched his books as he walked to his class. His boyfriend had to pretend to be mean to him while they were at school, but something just didn’t feel right about what Kyuhyun was doing to him. He walked into class and sat down at his desk. Kyuhyun came in and approached his desk. “Remember our plan, I don’t mean any of the things I’ll say to you while we’re here,” Kyuhyun reminded. Sungmin nodded before Kyuhyun added “Meet me after school by the tree we were at yesterday.”

          All day, every time Sungmin saw Kyuhyun, the dark haired teen would say something mean to him or push him into the wall or lockers. Sungmin had to say himself several times “He’s not like mom. He doesn’t mean it when he says these things. Kyuhyun likes me, and says so. Mom never apologized or even cared if what she said hurt me or not. At least Kyuhyun says he’s sorry and kisses me.”

          In Heechul’s class, Hankyung asked “Are you ready for tonight?”

          “Yeah, are we all riding to the movies together?” Heechul wondered.

          “No, Eunhyuk said he would pick up Donghae and meet us there, so I guess I’ll come pick you up if you want me too,” Hankyung offered.

          “Sure, that’d be fine,” Heechul agreed. “What time?”

          “Probably around six,” Hankyung figured.

          “Okay,” Heechul quietly said.

          “Are you alright, you seem almost more distant today than usual,” Hankyung noticed.

          “I’m having a conflict with myself,” Heechul informed.

          “Can I help in any way?” Hankyung asked.

          “No,” Heechul immediately replied.

          “Does it have to do with why you won’t trust me?” Hankyung guessed.

          “It’s not that simple Hankyung, I want to trust you, but I’ve trusted people in the past who I thought cared about me, but found out that they couldn’t give two s about what happened to me. They betrayed me and hurt me when they should’ve loved me,” Heechul explained.

          “I’m not like them Heechul, I won’t betray you like they did. I would never do anything to hurt you,” Hankyung promised.

          “It took me six years to fully trust my own brothers, so don’t take it personally. I respect you as a friend, and I can tell you’re serious, but I’m just nervous is all,” Heechul stated.

          Hankyung gently touched Heechul’s arm and repeated “I would never do anything to hurt you.”

          As soon as school let out, Sungmin hurried over to the same tree he met Kyuhyun at yesterday. He saw his boyfriend run over to him and grab his face gently as Kyuhyun kissed him. “I’m sorry about all I said to you today,” Kyuhyun apologized in between kisses.

          “It’s okay, I know you didn’t mean it,” Sungmin muttered.

          “Kyuhyun!” someone called from several yards away.

          Kyuhyun turned around to see Henry and Shindong walking towards him again. “, can’t they just leave us alone,” he growled under his breath as he let go of Sungmin.

          “Oh the blonde one again huh?” Henry asked as he looked at Sungmin.

          “Yeah, he’s got a pretty face, let’s mess it up,” Shindong suggested as he grabbed Sungmin’s arm.

          Kyuhyun shoved Shindong back. “I said leave him alone. He’s mine , not yours,” Kyuhyun reminded.

          “Oh yeah, then you rough him up Kyuhyun. You know how to do it right,” Henry said.

          “Yeah Kyuhyun, hit him and let him know he’s your ,” Shindong added.

          Sungmin looked up at Kyuhyun with worried eyes as his boyfriend looked at him. “Forgive me,” he muttered before Kyuhyun backhanded Sungmin so hard he fell to the ground. “That’s what you get you little blonde prick! I told you last time you looked at me, I’d show you who’s boss. You disgust me,” he yelled. To make it even more believable, Kyuhyun spit at Sungmin.

          Suddenly, the group heard someone yell “I knew it!”

          Kyuhyun, Shindong, and Henry turned to see Yesung running towards them with Heechul and Donghae following. “Yesung, think about this,” Donghae said before both Yesung and Heechul tackled Kyuhyun to the ground.

          Shindong and Henry pulled the brothers off their friend and pushed them away as Donghae helped Sungmin stand. “I knew that you were gonna hurt Sungmin! I told you to stay the away from him,” Yesung yelled as he tried to lunge at Kyuhyun again.

          “Guys, c’mon, Leeteuk’s here, we need to get Sungmin home,” Donghae informed before the brothers glared at Kyuhyun as they walked away.

          “Minnie, what did he do to you?” Yesung questioned as they got into the car.

          “Sungmin, did you get in a fight?” Leeteuk asked when he noticed the red mark on the blonde’s face.

          “He didn’t mean it,” Sungmin muttered.

          “He slapped you Minnie,” Yesung reminded.

          “Who hit you Sungmin?” Leeteuk questioned.

          “That bastard he calls a boyfriend,” Heechul informed.

          “Heechul don’t say that, what happened Sungmin?” Leeteuk asked calmly.

          “Kyuhyun was just playing,” Sungmin whispered.

          “Sweetie, that’s no excuse,” Leeteuk replied. “I don’t think you need to be around Kyuhyun anymore.”

          “No, please Leeteuk, just let him explain,” Sungmin requested.

          Leeteuk sighed. “I don’t like the idea of anyone hurting my sons, but Kangin and I will listen to Kyuhyun’s explanation.”

          “Just make sure that we’re out of the house when you do or else I just might kill the son of a ,” Heechul muttered under his breath.

          Later that evening, Donghae and Heechul got ready for the movies. “Heechul what do you think of Hankyung?” Donghae wondered.

          “He’s cool, really nice, and he wants me to trust him,” Heechul said. “But I’m nervous because you know why I don’t trust people.”

          “Heechul, what happened to you is a horror story, but Hankyung is not gonna do to you what your family did to you. He does not seem like the kind of guy who would hurt you. We’ve all been traumatized Heechul, but eventually we have to stop worrying about our scars and move on with our lives,” Donghae explained.

          “So you think I should trust him?” Heechul asked.

          “I think you should let him prove himself. I know you’re scared, but Eunhyuk tells me that he’s a good guy Heechul,” Donghae responded. “I’m not gonna tell you what to do, but I’m just gonna say this; just give it a thought.”

          Heechul nodded as he did think about Donghae’s advice. The two walked downstairs and headed outside to wait for their rides. Eunhyuk pulled up on his motorcycle and Donghae jumped on. A few minutes later, Hankyung rolled up beside the curb and let Heechul get in. “Hi,” Hankyung said with a smile.

          “Hey,” Heechul muttered.

          After they left, Kyuhyun showed up at the house in a taxi. He walked up to the front door and knocked. Sungmin answered and immediately hugged his boyfriend. “Minnie I’m so sorry I hit you. I didn’t want to do it. I’m so, so sorry,” Kyuhyun quickly apologized before gently kissing Sungmin’s lips and placing his hands on Sungmin’s face.

          “Sungmin is Kyuhyun here?” Kangin called from inside.

          “Yes, he’s here,” Sungmin confirmed.

          “Bring him in the living room,” Kangin ordered.

          “Okay,” Sungmin agreed before taking Kyuhyun’s hand and leading him into the living room. The two of them sat down on the couch opposite of Leeteuk and Kangin.

          “What’s this I hear about you abusing my son?” Kangin demanded as he crossed his arms.

          “I wasn’t abusing him, I accidentally hit him,” Kyuhyun replied.

          “That’s not what my other sons say,” Kangin said.

          “Kyuhyun, we don’t want to be the bad guys, but if you’re going to abuse our son, then we’re going to have to ask you not see him any longer,” Leeteuk calmly explained.

          “Forget that, if he hurts Sungmin again, he won’t be around long enough to see Sungmin anymore,” Kangin stated.

          “Sweetheart,” Leeteuk gently scolded as he touched his mate’s leg. He turned to Kyuhyun and asked “Now why did you hit Sungmin? That’s all we want to know.”

          “He has to be tough for his friends, and if they find out we’re a couple, they’ll hurt me, so Kyuhyun said we have to pretend not to get along in school, but outside of school we can be ourselves,” Sungmin quietly explained.

          “That’s no excuse. What, are you afraid to stand up to your friends and tell them that you have a boyfriend?” Kangin asked Kyuhyun.

          “I don’t want any harm to come to your son. I care about Sungmin and don’t want anyone to hurt him just because we’re in a relationship. I truly do care about him and didn’t mean to make the fake bullying physical. It won’t happen again,” Kyuhyun promised.

          “It better not,” Kangin growled as Leeteuk rubbed his back to help him relax.

          “Kyuhyun, it may be wise if you leave for the night so my husband can calm down,” Leeteuk advised.

          Sungmin stood up and led Kyuhyun out the front door. They stood right outside and kissed one another again. “I will never put my hands on you like that again,” Kyuhyun whispered. “I’m so sorry Minnie, I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

          “It’s okay, I know you have to keep up your image,” Sungmin replied.

          “I’ll see you at school tomorrow,” Kyuhyun muttered as he kissed Sungmin once more and pulled him closer.

          Sungmin watched as Kyuhyun walked down to the curb, signaled a taxi, and left. “I love you,” Sungmin quietly called as he watched his boyfriend vanish from sight.

          Meanwhile, Donghae, Eunhyuk, Hankyung, and Heechul showed up at the movies, got their tickets and snacks, then headed to the appropriate theater. During the movie, Heechul would subconsciously lean next to Hankyung. Heechul happened to look over and see Donghae and Eunhyuk kissing one another instead of watching the movie. “You guys need to get a room,” Heechul whispered as he threw popcorn at the couple.

          “Yeah you guys, we’re trying to watch the movie here,” Hankyung added.

          He and Heechul looked at one another before Heechul noticed that Hankyung had placed his hand on his lap. Heechul looked down and then back up at Hankyung, who smiled at him. Hearing Donghae’s earlier words of advice inside his mind, Heechul hesitantly placed his hand in Hankyung’s, who then slowly interlaced their fingers together.

          Heechul felt his heart pound loudly with nervousness and a little bit of excitement. The two of them watched the rest of the movie with their hands not moving from the position they were in. When the movie had finished, Hankyung gently released his hand from Heechul’s as the lights came back on, and they followed Donghae and Eunhyuk out. “I’m gonna ride home with Heechul and Hankyung so that you can go ahead and get home, so I’ll see you tomorrow,” Donghae said to Eunhyuk as he placed a kiss on his boyfriend’s lips.

          “Alright be safe Donghae,” Eunhyuk called as the three walked towards Hankyung’s car.

          The teens were quiet the whole way home. Heechul would glance over at Hankyung with his peripheral vision while Donghae texted Eunhyuk to make sure he got home safely. After they arrived home, Donghae said “Thanks for the ride home Hankyung.” He then got out of the car and headed inside, leaving Heechul and Hankyung alone in the car.

          “Why did you want to hold my hand?” Heechul questioned.

          “I really don’t know, something just came over me. I’m sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable,” Hankyung replied.

          “It’s okay, surprisingly tonight I didn’t mind. It’s the first time I’ve ever held someone’s hand, and it felt nice,” Heechul slowly responded.

          Hankyung smiled as he laid his hand palm up on the arm rest between the two. Heechul lay his hand on top of Hankyung’s and felt his friend gently his thumb over Heechul’s. After a minute, Hankyung whispered “Well I’ll see you at school tomorrow.”

          “Yeah, I’ll see you tomorrow,” Heechul echoed as he slowly released Hankyung’s hand and got out of the car. As he walked to the house, Heechul smiled to himself and touched the hand Hankyung had held.

          “How’d you like tonight?” Donghae asked as Heechul walked upstairs towards his room.

          “I listened to your advice, I think I’m almost ready to let Hankyung in,” Heechul stated with a grin.