Chapter 22

After a Minute

          Now that the drama had seemed to settle down amongst the couples, Leeteuk and Kangin suggested that they take all of the boys out for the day. “Where would you guys wanna go?” Kangin asked one October Saturday morning.

          “Let’s go to the aquarium,” Donghae suggested.

          “You just love fish, don’t you Donghae?” Kyuhyun asked.

          “Yeah he does, and he’s my little fishy,” Eunhyuk agreed as he placed a kiss on top of his head.

          “I wanna go pet animals, cute baby animals,” Sungmin stated as he poked his own cheeks.

          “Well there is a place we can take them an hour away from here; Donghae can swim with fish in the indoor pools they have,” Leeteuk responded as he looked at Kangin.

          “Alright, go get ready,” Kangin stated before the boys jumped up.

          As they watched them run upstairs, Leeteuk muttered “It feels like we have eight sons instead of four, with as often as their boyfriends come over.”

          “We can’t adopt them all Leeteuk,” Kangin gently reminded.

          “I know, but I want them all to feel safe and loved here,” Leeteuk replied.

          “Honey they are safe here, and they know we care about them; that’s why they like coming over here,” Kangin said.

          The two looked up and saw the boys run downstairs. “We’re ready to go,” Eunhyuk stated.

          “Alright, I’ll drive Donghae, Eunhyuk, Yesung, and Ryeowook over in my car. Sungmin, Kyuhyun, Heechul, and Hankyung, you boys ride over with Kangin,” Leeteuk instructed as they headed into the garage and got into the two vehicles.

          An hour later, they arrived at their destination. “Where are the fish?” Donghae asked as he jumped out of the car.

          “C’mon, we’ll go find them,” Eunhyuk suggested as he took his boyfriend’s hand and led him inside. The couple found a large indoor pool filled with exotic fish that they could swim with.

          “Oh my God, this is awesome!” Donghae said as he stepped into the warm pool. “Look at all these awesome fish.” He moved his hands around and saw the fish swim around his body. Turning, Donghae turned to Eunhyuk and asked “Aren’t you going to get in?”

          “No, I’m gonna stay here and watch you. You look cute when you swim,” Eunhyuk replied with a smile. Donghae grinned before diving underneath the water.

          Meanwhile, Sungmin and Kyuhyun were walking around looking at the rest of the animals. Sungmin gasped before entering one of the pens. “Kyuhyun look they have bunnies,” Sungmin squealed as he picked up a baby rabbit and held it against his face.

          “My God, look at all of them,” Kyuhyun muttered as he looked at the bunnies hopping around at his feet.

          “Can we get one Kyuhyun, can we?” Sungmin begged as he pet the bunny.

          “Minnie,” Kyuhyun started. He looked down and saw Sungmin’s sad eyes and his mouth form into a pout. “Aww, I can’t say no to that face. I’ll get you a bunny soon Sungmin, but I don’t think these are for sale.”

          “But they’re cute little babies,” Sungmin said as he rubbed his cheek against a bunny’s fur.

          Kyuhyun put an arm around Sungmin’s shoulders and the little white creature in his boyfriend’s arms. “They are pretty cute,” Kyuhyun agreed before placing a kiss on top of his head. “But you’re even cuter.” Kyuhyun watched as Sungmin got down on the ground and let the bunnies hop over him and tickle his face with their faces. Listening to his boyfriend giggle made Kyuhyun smile. There was nothing more precious to him than listening to Sungmin laugh, and at this moment, Kyuhyun felt like nothing could hurt them.

          “C’mon Ryeowook, they have turtles here,” Yesung excitedly said as he pulled his boyfriend into the reptile exhibit.

          “Yesung, there are snakes in here. I don’t like those, they’re scary,” Ryeowook replied as he looked at the beady eyes of the reptiles they passed.

          “Don’t worry, the turtles are down here by themselves,” Yesung promised.

          “Wow, look at all of them,” Ryeowook exclaimed as he gazed at the forty turtles in the exhibit.

          Leaning down, Yesung picked up one. “I had one similar to this when I was little, but I couldn’t take him with me to the Boys Home. I miss my little guy,” Yesung informed.

          “Aww, what was his name?” Ryeowook wondered.

          “Peppermint,” Yesung stated.

          “What?” Ryeowook asked, wondering if he’d heard Yesung right or not.

          “Well I got him for Christmas, and I was eating a candy cane when I named him. I was five, so gimme a break,” Yesung replied.

          Ryeowook giggled before picking up a turtle, and saying “I think it’s a cute name.”

          Heechul and Hankyung were walking around holding hands. “Do you not wanna go look at anything?” Hankyung asked.

          “Do you want to?” Heechul wondered.

          “I think I can find something you’d like,” Hankyung replied with a smile as he led Heechul inside.

          “Oh nice, there’s a café in here,” Heechul noticed.

          “Not that Heechul, back here,” Hankyung said as he took them both over to a small glass bin.

          Heechul dropped his jaw slightly as he saw that Hankyung had brought him to a pen of kittens. “You like them?” Hankyung asked as he ran a hand up and down Heechul’s back.

          The raven haired teen reached down and picked up a charcoal colored kitten and held it against his face. Heechul felt the kitten begin to purr and paw at his face, causing him to laugh quietly. “I love this one,” Heechul whispered. “This is the one I want when we live together.”

          “Yeah, he is a sweet looking baby,” Hankyung agreed as the kitten began to paw at his finger.

          “I don’t wanna put him down,” Heechul muttered as he continued to love on the cat.  

          “I know you don’t, but we can’t keep him,” Hankyung reminded gently as he took the kitten and placed him back in the box.

          Heechul watched as the baby cat tried to climb up the box back to him. “Look Hankyung, he doesn’t want me to leave,” he said as he tried to reach for the kitten again.

          Hankyung took Heechul’s hand and took him away from the kittens. “C’mon Heechul, let’s go find something else to look at,” he suggested.

          “But kittens Hankyung,” Heechul moaned as he looked back at the cats.

          Leeteuk and Kangin met up with Kyuhyun, Sungmin, Yesung, Ryeowook, Hankyung, and Heechul in the café. “Guys, where are Donghae and Eunhyuk?” Leeteuk asked as he sipped his drink.

          “I think they went into the aquarium,” Sungmin stated.

          “Alright, let’s go see how they are,” Leeteuk suggested as they stood up and walked towards the aquarium.

          As they walked into the warm room, the group found Eunhyuk sitting on the side of the pool with his jeans rolled up to his knees and his feet in the water. “Where’s Donghae?” Heechul wondered.

          “He’s underwater,” Eunhyuk informed.

          Donghae shot up out of the water, grinned, and stated “I’m in my element guys!” Then dove back underwater.

          “,” Kyuhyun muttered.

          “Now Kyuhyun, that’s not nice,” Sungmin replied.

          “He thinks he’s a merman,” Eunhyuk said.

          “Whoa, are there fish in that pool?” Hankyung asked as he stepped closer to the pool.

          “Yeah, Donghae loves it. He says it makes him feel like he’s in the ocean,” Eunhyuk explained.

          “Maybe we should throw a shark in there, make him feel like he’s really in the ocean,” Kyuhyun suggested.

          “Kyuhyun,” Sungmin repeated.

          “Sorry Minnie,” the dark haired teen replied, kissing the top of his boyfriend’s head.

          “Donghae, c’mon honey we have to go soon,” Leeteuk called as his son came up out of the water again.

          “Aww, okay,” Donghae agreed as he swam over to the steps. “We’ve got to come back here.”

          “We will, don’t worry,” Kangin promised as Eunhyuk wrapped up Donghae with a towel.

          When they got back to the house, Leeteuk asked “Did you boys have fun today?”

          “Yes Leeteuk,” they all responded.

          “Good, now Hankyung, Kyuhyun, and Ryeowook, if you boys aren’t ready to go home yet, I’ll make you guys something to eat,” Leeteuk offered.

          “Thank you Leeteuk,” the three replied as they headed upstairs with their boyfriends.

          As Kangin and Leeteuk began to make dinner for their boys and their boyfriends, Leeteuk’s cell phone rang. He gasped quietly. “Who is it honey?” Kangin wondered.

          “My mother,” Leeteuk stated before answering. “Hello.”

          “Hello Leeteuk,” his mother said.

          “Hi mom, how are you?” Leeteuk asked, trying to force a smile.

          “Cut the formalities out; it’s only because of your grandparents I’m even talking to you,” his mother snapped. “They heard about the adoption and want you and your husband to bring your children to Thanksgiving dinner.”

          “Alright, I’ll talk to Kangin and we’ll bring them,” Leeteuk promised.

          “Very well; goodbye Leeteuk,” his mother said before hanging up, not even bothering to hear her son say goodbye.

          “Bye mom,” Leeteuk muttered before hanging up the phone.

          “What’s wrong?” Kangin asked.

          “My grandparents want to meet the boys at Thanksgiving in a few weeks,” Leeteuk slowly informed. “This’ll be the first time since our wedding that we see them; although mom is not too excited to see us.”

          “She never did like me or the fact that we got married,” Kangin said as he wrapped his arms around Leeteuk.

          “I know, only my grandparents support us and I don’t know how mom and dad are going to respond when they find out our sons are exactly like us,” Leeteuk responded.

          “It’ll be okay honey,” Kangin promised as he kissed his spouse’s forehead.

          “I don’t want mom and dad to berate our sons,” Leeteuk muttered.

          “They won’t, they’re strong boys. They’ve been through worse Hell than your parents,” Kangin reminded. Leeteuk smiled before kissing his husband.