Chapter 48

After a Minute

          A few weeks later, the boys were getting ready to head back to high school for their senior year. This year was going to fly by, and they were both excited and scared because of it. The boys wanted to hurry and graduate, but not separate from one another. On the eve of the first day of school, Ryeowook, Hankyung, and Kyuhyun had to return to their homes so they could actually get some sleeping done that night, so they kissed their boyfriends goodbye and headed home. The next morning, the boys met outside the school and compared schedules. “It looks like we all have a class together,” Donghae noticed.

          “What the hell is home economics?” Kyuhyun questioned as he looked at his schedule.

          “That’s a class where we learn how to be good spouses,” Ryeowook explained.

          “Do we have to cook stuff?” Yesung asked.

          “Always food with you,” Ryeowook joked as he patted his boyfriend’s stomach.

          “As long as we don’t have to sew , it’ll be okay,” Heechul replied.

          “Well, let’s head to class, I’m curious to see what we’ll being doing,” Eunhyuk suggested. Each couple took their partner’s hand and walked to their home economics class. They found that the tables in the classroom were made for two people, so the couples each took a table as more students came in and sat down.

          Their teacher walked in and welcomed back the students before announcing “In home economics this year, you will learn how to cook, maintain a budget, and take care of a baby. The person you are sitting at a table with will be your partner for the semester, and you will be a pretend husband and wife.”

          The couples looked at one another, before Heechul raised his hand. “What if you’re both guys?” Heechul asked.

          “The same rules apply, one will be the husband and one will be the wife,” the teacher stated.

          Heechul looked at Hankyung before Hankyung whispered “You be the wife.”

          “Why do I have to be the wife?” Heechul wondered.

          “Because you’re such a drama queen,” Hankyung replied before placing a kiss on Heechul’s nose as his boyfriend crossed his arms.

          “You’ll be my wife,” Yesung said to Ryeowook as he pulled the brunette close to him.

          “Well I do enjoy wearing makeup and taking care of you,” Ryeowook agreed.

          “Plus you’re cute like a girl,” Yesung added.

          “Kyuhyun, am I the wife?” Sungmin questioned as he looked at his fiancé.

          “Yes Minnie, you’re my wife,” Kyuhyun confirmed before placing a kiss on the blonde’s hair.

          “Yay,” Sungmin whispered.

          “Now today, each couple will receive a plastic baby to take care of for two weeks. You will take care of him or her, name them, feed them, burp them, change them, and treat them as if they were real babies. They are programmed to cry when they need something, and will only stop when you pay attention to them. I will provide you with a baby bag, a bottle, and a diaper, you must get everything else,” the teacher explained as she pulled out a large box and handed each couple a baby.

          “Yesung, our baby is very tan,” Ryeowook stated as he held the baby close.

          “Ryeowook, that’s a black baby,” Yesung informed.

          “Oh, okay, well she’s very cute,” Ryeowook replied. He smiled and whispered to the doll “I’m gonna style your hair, get you some really pretty dresses, mommy and daddy are going to take good care of you.”

          “Donghae, I think our baby is sick, look how pale it is,” Eunhyuk said as he held their baby up.

          “Eunhyuk, there’s nothing wrong with it, we just got a white baby,” Donghae responded. “What’d we get?”

          The blonde looked down the front of the baby’s diaper, and replied “It’s a boy.”

          “Alright, we got a son,” Donghae stated before they high fived.

          “Kyuhyun, our daughter is beautiful, she’s so little and perfect,” Sungmin whispered as he gently bounced the baby in his arms.

          Kyuhyun rubbed Sungmin’s back as he replied “She is very pretty, just like her mommy.”

          “Pretend mommy,” Sungmin corrected.

          “I think you guys got the only Asian baby in our group,” Heechul realized. “Donghae and Eunhyuk got a white baby, Yesung and Ryeowook got a black baby, and we got what appears to be a Hispanic daughter.”

          “She’s like a little mamacita,” Hankyung joked.

          “Ole,” Eunhyuk added.

          After school let out that afternoon, Leeteuk took the boys to the mall and let them pick out some things for their babies. “Yesung, do you think Charlotte will like this dress?” Ryeowook wondered as he picked up a little blue dress.

          “Who?” Yesung asked.

          “Charlotte, that’s what I named our daughter, after the spider in the book Charlotte’s Web,” Ryeowook explained.

          “You’re such a nerd, and I love that about you,” Yesung said as he kissed Ryeowook’s forehead. “Yes, Charlotte will look cute in this.”

          “Sungmin, come here,” Ryeowook called to his friend, before Sungmin and Kyuhyun hurried over with their daughter. “Look, I found this little pink dress for Haru.”

          Kyuhyun and Sungmin had named their daughter Haru and Sungmin wanted all pink clothing for her. “Oh my God, it’s so adorable, look Kyuhyun, isn’t it nice?” the blonde asked.

          “Yes honey, it’s beautiful. Yesung, let’s let the wives shop and we’ll go get other things,” Kyuhyun suggested.

          “Alright, Ryeowook, I’m going with Kyuhyun so I’ll be back later,” Yesung informed before they walked to another store. “What are we getting Kyuhyun?”

          “I think we should buy baby cribs,” Kyuhyun said.

          “Like toy cribs?” Yesung asked.

          “Yeah, just little play ones we can use while we’re doing the assignment,” Kyuhyun replied. “We’ll get one for each baby so they can rest comfortably.”

          While Kyuhyun and Yesung bought the play cribs in a toy store, Donghae and Eunhyuk were trying to find clothes for their baby. “What do you think of this?” Eunhyuk questioned as he held up a blue jersey to the baby.

          “I think Aiden will look nice in it,” Donghae responded.

          “You’re gonna look handsome like your daddies,” Eunhyuk whispered to their son.

          “Heechul, why are we in the Disney store?” Hankyung asked as they walked around.

          “Because Anna needs clothes,” Heechul stated as he hugged their daughter.

          “I’m really regretting showing you Frozen,” Hankyung muttered as his boyfriend wandered over to a section and selected an outfit for Anna.

          “Our daughter will be the most beautiful little princess in the whole class,” Heechul exclaimed as he looked down at Anna and kissed her head.

          After the boys found everything they needed for their babies, Leeteuk took them home and Sungmin and Ryeowook folded all the many dresses and outfits they'd gotten for their babies, while Kyuhyun and Yesung built the cribs in Yesung’s bedroom. “Do these look right?” Kyuhyun asked.

          “Yeah, they look like the picture on the box, so I guess we did it right,” Yesung agreed as he looked at the box.

          “Okay, go get the others so we can show them,” Kyuhyun requested.

          After showing the others the cribs they built, each couple took a crib into their bedrooms and set them up. As Hankyung was setting up the pillow and blanket for Anna, the baby began to cry. “Uh oh, Hankyung, I think she’s hungry,” Heechul informed before reaching into the baby bag and pulling out the bottle. Heechul sat down on the bed and began to feed the baby. “It’s okay Anna, mommy and daddy are going to take care of you.”

          Down the hall, Ryeowook was brushing Charlotte’s hair before she started crying. “Aww, what’s wrong angel?” Ryeowook asked as he gently bounced the baby in his arms.

          “She’s probably hungry,” Yesung suggested as he handed Ryeowook the bottle.

          “Here Charlotte, here’s some milk,” Ryeowook whispered as he fed the baby doll.

          Yesung sat down next to Ryeowook on the bed and rubbed his back. “You’re so cute with kids,” he said before pressing a kiss against his cheek.

          “Thank you sweetheart,” Ryeowook responded before they turned their attention back to Charlotte.

          Across the hall, Eunhyuk was fitting Aiden into the new clothes they’d gotten for him when he noticed something. “Donghae, why is Aiden’s diaper wet?” he asked.

          “Well our teacher said that he’d wet himself,” Donghae reminded.

          “So, we have to change him?” Eunhyuk questioned.

          “Obviously, we can’t leave him wet, he’ll start crying,” Donghae figured.

          The two lay the fake baby down on a blanket and took his diaper off. “Oh my god, he’s even got a thing like we do,” Eunhyuk noticed.

          “Well of course, Aiden’s a boy,” Donghae said.

          “They’re putting them on dolls now?” Eunhyuk asked as Donghae handed him the clean diaper. “Wait, how do we do this?”

          “That’s a good question,” Donghae replied. “Maybe like this.” Donghae tried to fasten the diaper on Aiden and then picked him up and watched the diaper fall to the floor.

          “I don’t think that was right,” Eunhyuk guessed. “Now who’s someone who knows the most about mother stuff?”

          “Leeteuk, Leeteuk can we ask you something?” Donghae asked as he and Eunhyuk walked downstairs and held Aiden up.

          “You want to know how to put on a diaper,” Leeteuk answered.

          “How’d you know?” Eunhyuk wondered.

          “Lucky guess,” Leeteuk replied with a laugh. “Come here, I’ll show you what to do.”

          Meanwhile, upstairs, Sungmin was shushing Haru as he burped the baby doll. “Wow, guess I know why she was so grouchy,” Kyuhyun responded before he picked up Haru and laid her down in the crib on the opposite end of the room.

          “Make sure she’s covered up good, I don’t want her to get cold,” Sungmin requested.

          “Minnie, don’t worry, Haru will be okay,” Kyuhyun promised as he climbed into bed and kissed Sungmin.

          “I want us to be able to be parents one day Kyuhyun,” Sungmin admitted as they laid down.

          “You want a kid?” Kyuhyun asked.

          “Do you?” Sungmin wondered.

          “Absolutely, we can have as many babies as you want,” Kyuhyun replied as he ran a hand through Sungmin’s blonde hair.

          “Only one or two maybe,” Sungmin said as he snuggled close to his fiancé. “I love you.”

          “I love you too Minnie,” Kyuhyun echoed.

          In the middle of the night, Anna began to cry. Heechul groaned and rolled over. “Hankyung, Anna is crying; could you get her please?” he moaned.

          “Okay,” Hankyung groaned before yawning and getting up. He picked up Anna and bounced her in his arms, shushing her quietly. “Anna sweetheart, it’s okay, daddy’s right here, it’s okay.”

          Down the hall, Charlotte began to fuss and moan in her crib. Ryeowook opened his eyes, stretched, and got up. He picked up Charlotte and began to feed her again. “Ryeowook, what’s going on?” Yesung whispered as he sat up.

          “Our daughter needed milk,” Ryeowook replied as he looked down at the baby and yawned. “I just wish I could wake up.” Yesung climbed out of bed and took Charlotte from Ryeowook. “What are you doing?”

          “Go back to bed and sleep; I’ll feed Charlotte,” Yesung said.

          “But Yesung –” Ryeowook started.

          He was stopped when Yesung placed a kiss on his boyfriend’s lips. “Go Ryeowook, I know you’re sleepy, and we’ve got school in the morning. I know that if you don’t get enough sleep, you won’t be able to focus, so go ahead and sleep. I’ll take care of Charlotte,” he promised.

          “You’re sweet to me,” Ryeowook whispered before he lay back down in Yesung’s bed and went back to sleep.

          Across the hall, Aiden started to cry in his crib. “Eunhyuk, babe, Aiden’s awake,” Donghae sleepily said as he rubbed Eunhyuk’s chest.

          “I got him, I got him,” Eunhyuk replied, still half asleep. He put his feet on the ground and tried to stand up, but fell to the ground, even though it didn’t faze him.

          “Are you okay?” Donghae moaned from in bed.

          “Yeah, the ground broke my fall,” Eunhyuk responded, with his eyes still closed. He stood up and stumbled over to the crib, picking up Aiden and holding him closely, and gently patting his back.

          A little ways down the hall, Haru began to cry loudly. “No Haru, not now, please sweetie, I just fed you a few hours ago,” Sungmin groaned as he stood up and walked over to the baby doll, picking her up. The minute Sungmin picked her up, Haru stopped crying.

          “Looks like she just wanted mommy Sungmin,” Kyuhyun whispered as he rubbed his eyes from the bed.

          “Hey, sorry she woke you up,” Sungmin apologized as he bounced the baby girl in his arms.

          “It’s okay Minnie, all a part of being a parent I guess,” Kyuhyun replied.

          Finally, the babies were fed, burped, and sleeping once again, so the couples finally got back to sleep. About an hour later, Haru, Charlotte, Anna, and Aiden began to cry again, causing the couples to wake up and groan. “You’ve got to be ing kidding me,” Heechul groaned from inside his bedroom.

          “It’s your turn to get her,” Hankyung muttered into the pillow.

          “We better get a ing A for this class,” Heechul said as he climbed out of bed and walked over to the baby doll.