Chapter 57

After a Minute

          Sungmin slowly opened up the door to the hospital room where Kyuhyun was being kept, while Leeteuk followed behind him. The blonde took one look at Kyuhyun, saw the many bruises and scratches that covered his face and arms, the tubes that were around his nose and IVs in his veins, and immediately turned to face Leeteuk as tears began to spill down his cheeks again. “Leeteuk,” he cried.

          “It’s okay baby, it’ll be okay,” Leeteuk promised as he ran a hand through his son’s hair and shushed his crying. “Just go sit next to him.”

          Sungmin walked over to his unconscious fiancé and sat down next to him, gently running his fingertips over Kyuhyun’s bruised cheek. “My baby, my Kyuhyun,” Sungmin muttered.

          The door opened up and inside walked a doctor. “Hello, who might you be?” he questioned.

          “This is Lee Sungmin, he’s Kyuhyun’s fiancé, I’m Sungmin’s foster parent Leeteuk,” the brunette parent informed.

          “Please, please tell me what happened to Kyuhyun,” Sungmin begged as he looked up at the doctor with teary eyes.

          “We’ve performed several x-rays and CAT scans on Kyuhyun’s body, and have found that along with the multiple bruises and scratches to his face, torso, arms, and legs, Kyuhyun has a fractured hip, a burn from the airbag on the side of his neck, and a couple of ribs seem to have punctured one of his lungs, causing him to need that respiratory machine to help him breathe,” the doctor explained. “And if that wasn’t bad enough, his body went into shock, which is what caused this coma he’s in.”

          Sungmin laid his head next to Kyuhyun as he took his fiancé’s hand and held it tightly. “Is he going to be okay? How long will he be in this state?” Leeteuk wondered.

          “We don’t know how long he’ll be unconscious; but –” before the doctor could continue, the room door opened up and in walked a couple.

          “Excuse me, is this Cho Kyuhyun’s room?” the woman asked.

          “Yes,” Sungmin stated as he sat up and wiped his eyes.

          “Who are you?” Leeteuk inquired.

          “We’re Kyuhyun’s parents,” the woman replied. She then turned to Kyuhyun. “Oh my god, my son.” Sungmin moved out of the way so the woman could hug and cry over Kyuhyun.

          “What happened to him?” his father questioned.

          “Your son has been in a car accident that’s left him in a coma. Several of his ribs were fractured, and a couple punctured his left lung,” the doctor repeated. “And I’m sorry to say, but Kyuhyun’s survival rate is extremely low.”

          “You mean he could die?” Sungmin asked. The blonde gripped his head and dropped to his knees as Leeteuk rushed over to him and wrapped his arms around Sungmin. “No, no he can’t die, we, we’re supposed to get married,” the blonde cried.

          “We’ll need to do some more scans on him in the morning, regardless of if he’s out of the coma or not, but for now I’ll leave you all alone with him,” the doctor informed before leaving the room.

          “Kyuhyun,” Sungmin whispered as he stood up and leaned his head against his fiancé’s face gently. “Please baby, please be alright.”

          “Sungmin sweetie, maybe we should go home and let Kyuhyun rest,” Leeteuk suggested as he placed a hand on his son’s shoulder.

          “No, I’m not going anywhere; I’m staying with Kyuhyun,” Sungmin rejected, shrugging off Leeteuk’s hand and wrapping his arms lightly around Kyuhyun’s shoulders. “I’m staying with him until he wakes up.”

          Leeteuk knew there was no fighting Sungmin, so he muttered “Alright Sungmin, we’ll stay.” He turned to Kyuhyun’s mother and offered “Ma’am would you like to go get some coffee with me? It seems we’ll be here awhile.”

          “Yes, that sounds nice,” Kyuhyun’s mother agreed. She lightly brushed Kyuhyun’s hair before leaving the room with Leeteuk.

          “So you must be the fiancé that our son always talks about when he’s home,” Kyuhyun’s father figured as he sat down in a chair on the other side of Kyuhyun’s bed.

          “Yes sir, I am,” Sungmin confirmed.

          “Kyuhyun speaks highly of you when he actually comes home, which is only like once a week anymore,” Kyuhyun’s father replied.

          “I’m sorry for keeping him over so much; I just love him so much, that I want to spend every possible moment with him,” Sungmin whispered before pressing a kiss against Kyuhyun’s dark brunette hair.

          “It’s alright, you don’t have to apologize. Before he met you, Kyuhyun was very quiet and kept to himself at home, although he occasionally started fights at school. I remember him coming home after the first day of school last year and saying that he liked one of the new students. However, his mother and I didn’t know that this certain someone was a boy,” Kyuhyun’s father informed.  

          “Does it upset you that I’m a boy, sir?” Sungmin wondered as he began to Kyuhyun’s hair gently.

          “No, of course not; I believe everyone has the right to love whoever they want; I just want Kyuhyun to have someone truly love him, whether it’s a boy or a girl. If he loves you and wants to spend the rest of his life with you, then by god I’m not gonna stop him. He deserves happiness, and with you, he has that. I mean honestly, aren’t there bigger things to worry about in this world than someone’s ual orientation?” Kyuhyun’s father stated.

          Sungmin smiled before responding “I agree sir.”

          The man looked down at his comatose son and muttered “I just wish he’d wake up.”

          “Me too, I don’t wanna lose him again,” Sungmin agreed.

          “Again?” Kyuhyun’s father repeated.

          “I lost him once for several months when you all had to move to America,” Sungmin reminded.

          “Oh right, that really tore Kyuhyun up badly. He wanted to stay here so badly, but we couldn’t, and it broke his heart. The whole time we were over in America, he was depressed, crying every day to come back. Only time he ever smiled was when he had just got through talking to you,” Kyuhyun’s father explained.

          Sungmin looked up. “Really?” he asked.

          “Yes, you’ve impacted Kyuhyun’s life in more ways than you think. You are his whole world, and being separated from you would probably kill him faster than any other method. That boy loves you more than you could ever imagine,” Kyuhyun’s father said.

          “I love Kyuhyun with all my heart. He makes me feel safe and wanted; just being able to hear his voice is enough to make me smile,” Sungmin replied as tears spilled down his cheeks. The blonde leaned his face against Kyuhyun’s cheek and whispered “Please, please wake up, please don’t leave me; not after all we’ve been through.” He kissed Kyuhyun’s bruised skin gently, and watched the heart monitor continue to beep at a constant rate.

          “I’m going to go retrieve some coffee, would you like me to bring you anything?” Kyuhyun’s father asked as he stood up and walked towards the door.

          “No sir, I’m fine,” Sungmin muttered.

          “Alright, I’ll be back soon,” Kyuhyun’s father informed before exiting the room.

          Sungmin lay his head down on the bed next to Kyuhyun’s arm, and carefully his thumb over his fiancé’s hand. “I love you baby. I’ll be right here until you wake up,” Sungmin whispered before the blonde allowed his tears to put him to sleep.