Chapter 54

After a Minute

          After a few weeks had passed and Heechul had gotten over his illness, the weather had finally started to turn cooler in Seoul. Ryeowook shivered as he walked up the pathway to the front door to Kangin and Leeteuk’s house. He entered quickly, relaxing some when he felt the warmth of the house surround him. Shedding his jacket and backpack, Ryeowook headed upstairs to Yesung’s bedroom. “Yesung, are you in here?” he asked quietly as he opened the door.

          Looking over, the brunette saw his boyfriend sitting on the bed holding a small creature. “Hey, look what I found outside,” Yesung said as he held up a small box turtle for Ryeowook to see. “Isn’t he the cutest thing ever?”

          “Yeah, he’s really adorable,” Ryeowook agreed. “Now c’mon, we need to start studying for a math test we’ve got coming up soon.”

          “In a minute, I gotta tend to Sweet Potato,” Yesung replied as he placed the turtle inside a glass box.

          “Tend to what?” Ryeowook inquired with a confused face.

          “Oh yeah, I named him Sweet Potato,” Yesung stated.

          “Why?” Ryeowook asked.

          “Why not?” Yesung responded. “I think it’s a cute name.” Yesung turned back to care for the small turtle, pouring some water into a little bowl for him, and placing some lettuce in a dish for him. After making sure Sweet Potato was eating, Yesung turned his attention back to Ryeowook. “Okay, we can study now.”

          “That turtle’s not going to be a distraction is it?” Ryeowook wondered.

          Yesung smiled and placed a kiss on the brunette’s lips. “Don’t worry, I’ll pay attention.” He moved to kiss Ryeowook again before stopping abruptly. “But first I need to double check Sweet Potato and make sure he’s got enough food for a few hours.” Yesung stood up, leaving Ryeowook sighing on the bed.

          Ryeowook continued to come over every night that week so he could study with his boyfriend, but every time he tried to study or even have any kind of intimate moment with Yesung, the black haired Korean always thought of another way he needed to tend to Sweet Potato. Honestly, Ryeowook was growing to hate this turtle. One evening, he came over and found Yesung exiting the bathroom carrying Sweet Potato. “What were you doing?” Ryeowook asked.

          “Oh I had to take a shower and I let Sweet Potato shower with me. He likes to swim around in the water that puddles under my feet,” Yesung explained. He walked back into his bedroom and set Sweet Potato down inside his glass box. “I’ll be right back; I’m gonna go get something to drink. Why don’t you stay here and talk to Sweet Potato?”

          After Yesung left the room, Ryeowook looked down at the little turtle and narrowed his eyes at the green creature. “I don’t like you,” he muttered at Sweet Potato as the turtle munched on a piece of lettuce. “You stole my boyfriend away from me, and you smell.”

          “Ryeowook,” Yesung scolded. He stood in the doorway to the bedroom and crossed his arms.

          The brunette nervously looked back at the dark haired Korean. “Yesung, it’s not what it looks like,” he tried to defend.

          “Why’re you being mean to my turtle?” Yesung asked as he walked over and picked up Sweet Potato.

          “I wasn’t being mean to him,” Ryeowook mumbled.

          “Yes you were, I heard you,” Yesung said as he gently rubbed Sweet Potato’s head. “C’mon Sweet Potato, I’ll take you somewhere where you won’t be insulted.”

          “Yesung,” Ryeowook called as his boyfriend walked out of the room. He sighed and felt his heart pound faster as tears welled in the brunette’s eyes. Ryeowook sat down on Yesung’s bed and covered his face with his hands as he cried softly.

          Sungmin was walking upstairs towards his room when he heard Ryeowook’s muffled cries coming from Yesung’s room. The blonde hurried inside and whispered “Ryeowook, are you okay?”

          “No, I messed up,” Ryeowook cried as he looked up at his friend.

          Sungmin walked over and sat down next to Ryeowook and asked “What happened?”

          “Yesung loves his new turtle more than he loves me,” Ryeowook informed as more tears fell from his eyes.

          “What? Are you serious?” Sungmin questioned.

          “Yeah, he pays more attention to it than he does me, ever since that turtle appeared, it’s like he’s forgotten about me, and I think I made Yesung mad, because I told his turtle I didn’t like him,” Ryeowook explained.

          Sungmin hugged Ryeowook and promised “I can assure you that Yesung doesn’t love Sweet Potato more than he does you. This is just his first pet, so he’s going to baby it. But he’s also crazy about you; he talks about you nonstop when you’re not around, and he loves you very much.”

          “Thanks Sungmin, I hope you’re right,” Ryeowook replied as he hugged his friend back. “What do you usually do when you wanna get Kyuhyun to notice you and only you?”

          The blonde smiled as a small blush crept over his cheeks. “Well, I’m lucky enough to have a fiancé who always wants to spend time with me. But sometimes when I’m stressed out over homework or am occupied with other things, sometimes just him hugging me from behind and a kiss is all it takes to make me melt,” Sungmin explained.

          “So I just need to try being sweet and romantic with him?” Ryeowook asked.

          “Yeah, just give that a try, it usually works with couples,” Sungmin agreed before standing up and leaving the room.

          “I guess I could touch up my make-up,” Ryeowook figured to himself, as he headed into the bathroom.

          Yesung was down in the kitchen sitting at the table, with Sweet Potato sitting on top in front of him. “Why doesn’t Ryeowook like you?” he whispered to the turtle. “It’s not like you did anything to him, right?” Sweet Potato just sat there and just blinked at him. “Of course you didn’t,” Yesung confirmed with a smirk as he pet the turtle’s head. Standing, Yesung picked up his turtle and carried it upstairs to his bedroom before setting it down in the glass box.

          As he looked down at Sweet Potato, Yesung felt arms wrap around his shoulders. “Yesung,” Ryeowook whispered as he nudged his face against the back of Yesung’s neck.

          “Yeah?” Yesung replied.

          “I’m sorry I was mean to your turtle,” Ryeowook muttered before pressing a kiss against Yesung’s skin.

          “You’re not just saying that?” the black haired Korean asked.

          Ryeowook turned Yesung’s body to face him before touching his face. The brunette leaned forward and kissed Yesung’s lips gently. “I’m sorry baby,” Ryeowook repeated as he slowly walked backwards to Yesung’s bed and pulled his boyfriend with him. They sat down on the bed next to one another and continued to kiss each other. Yesung ran his hands up Ryeowook’s back as Ryeowook wrapped his arms around Yesung’s neck. The black haired Korean slid his hands down to Ryeowook’s waist before attaching his lips to his boyfriend’s neck, kissing at skin softly. Ryeowook gasped and felt his body shudder as goose bumps appeared all over. Yesung laid Ryeowook down on the bed as he kissed his neck before returning his lips to Ryeowook’s lips. Before anything else could happen, Yesung’s cell phone went off. The black haired Korean reached over to the bedside table and retrieved his phone. “What is it?” Ryeowook curiously asked.

          “It’s time for Sweet Potato’s shell scrub,” Yesung informed as he got off the bed and walked over to the turtle.

          Ryeowook dropped his jaw before exclaiming “I knew it, you do love that turtle more than me!” Ryeowook turned and faced the wall as he curled up in the fetal position.

          “What are you talking about?” Yesung wondered as he set Sweet Potato back down in his glass box and walked back over to Ryeowook, sitting down next to him on the bed.

          “You’d rather spend time with that turtle than you would me. Ever since you got that turtle, you’ve been preoccupied and distracted with him. And when I want to be romantic with you, all you can do is think about him. Just admit that you love the turtle more than me,” Ryeowook cried as he gripped the pillow and clenched his eyes shut.

          Yesung lay down next to Ryeowook and whispered “Ryeowook, look at me.” The brunette shook his head. “C’mon, please,” Yesung pleaded. Ryeowook shook his head again. Yesung then started to lightly kiss at his boyfriend’s neck again. “C’mon Ryeowook, please don’t be upset.”

          Ryeowook slowly craned his neck to look back at his boyfriend. Yesung turned the brunette’s body to face his own before gently his fingertips over Ryeowook’s cheek as he smirked. “What’s so funny?” Ryeowook asked.

          “The fact that you’re jealous of a turtle,” Yesung replied.

          The brunette felt a blush creep up his face as he responded “I’m not jealous, I just don’t like that he gets more attention than me.”

          “I’m sorry that you feel that way, I promise that I don’t love Sweet Potato more than you; I can do things with you that I can’t with him,” Yesung reminded.

          “Like what?” Ryeowook wondered.

          “Well I can’t take Sweet Potato out on a date, I usually end up having a one sided conversation with him when we talk,” Yesung started as Ryeowook smiled and giggled quietly. “And I can’t do this with him either.” Yesung held Ryeowook’s face in his hands as he lovingly kissed his mouth. Pulling away for air, Yesung whispered “I love you Ryeowook, and you never need to worry about anyone replacing you.” Ryeowook leaned his forehead against Yesung’s and nodded.

          “I love you too Yesung,” Ryeowook echoed before placing another quick kiss on his boyfriend’s lips.

          Yesung stood up and walked over to the small tank where Sweet Potato sat munching on his lettuce. “Come here you little thing,” Yesung muttered to the turtle, picking up his pet. He carried him over to the bed and lay back down with Sweet Potato resting on his chest. “Sweet Potato, why don’t you introduce yourself to Ryeowook; you’ll be seeing him a lot.”

          Ryeowook smiled at the tiny creature and rubbed it’s shell. “Hi there, I’m sorry I was mean to you, I thought you were taking my boyfriend,” Ryeowook apologized.

          “It’s okay Ryeowook; Yesung talks about you all the time, and says that he loves you so much. You have nothing to be worried about,” Yesung said, raising his voice slightly so he could impersonate the turtle, making Ryeowook laugh.

          Later that afternoon, Yesung and Ryeowook lay in bed together. Yesung looked down at Ryeowook, who was resting his head on his chest and had an arm wrapped around Yesung’s waist. Turning his head slightly, Yesung looked at the pillow next to him where Sweet Potato was sleeping peacefully. He smiled at his turtle before turning his gaze back to Ryeowook. The black haired Korean ran a hand through his boyfriend’s hair before running his hands up and down Ryeowook’s back gently. As he looked at Ryeowook, Yesung smirked before placing a kiss on top of the brunette’s head and whispering “Jealous of a turtle, just when I thought he couldn’t get any cuter.”