Chapter 61

After a Minute

          “Come on boys, we’re gonna be late,” Kangin called towards upstairs. The family was getting ready to travel up to Leeteuk’s grandparents’ home for dinner. He turned to Leeteuk and requested “Honey, could you fix my tie for me?”

          Leeteuk began to adjust his husband’s tie and muttered “I hope the boys are excited to see their great grandparents again.”

          “I’m sure they are, I mean it’s been a year since they’ve seen them. Do they even know that Sungmin and Kyuhyun are getting married?” Kangin wondered.

          “No I figured the two could announce it in person,” Leeteuk replied. He looked up towards upstairs and repeated “Boys, listen to your father and please hurry.”

          A few minutes later, the couples hurried down the stairs, wearing their nicest dress clothes. “We’re ready to go,” Donghae said.

          “Alright, half of you in my car, and half of you in Leeteuk’s car,” Kangin instructed as they headed towards the garage.

          “Are you guys excited to see your great grandparents again?” Leeteuk asked while they drove down the road.

          “Yeah, what’s the occasion Leeteuk?” Donghae wondered.

          “Well they just haven’t seen you guys in almost a year and they want to catch up,” Leeteuk replied.

          “Awesome, I like them, they’re really nice,” Eunhyuk said.

          “This’ll be your first time to meet them,” Heechul realized as he turned to Hankyung. “You’re gonna love them.”

          “What are they like?” Hankyung inquired.

          “They’re funny,” Donghae responded.

          “They’re really sweet,” Eunhyuk added.

          “But most importantly, they’re not judgmental about our lifestyle, which is kinda rare in older generation couples nowadays,” Heechul finished.

          “By lifestyle, you mean that we’re gay right?” Hankyung clarified.

          “Yeah, they could care less about that,” Heechul confirmed. “Now Leeteuk’s parents on the other hand –”

          “Heechul, let’s please not bring them up,” Leeteuk requested as he gazed back at his son in the rear view mirror.

          “Yeah, why should we ruin our good mood with talk of them?” Heechul muttered in agreement, crossing his arms.

          After a long hour drive, Leeteuk and Kangin pulled their vehicles up next to the curb of a house. “Now we expect you guys to behave,” Leeteuk reminded as they walked up the driveway to the front door.

          “Leeteuk, we’re not five, we know how to behave in front of people, you don’t have to keep reminding us,” Heechul stated.

          “I know, it’s just a mom habit,” Leeteuk remarked before Kangin took one of his shaky hands.

          “Just calm down honey, we have nothing to worry about,” Kangin gently encouraged.

          Leeteuk smiled at his spouse before taking a breath and knocking on the door before hearing “Come in.”

          Opening the door, Kangin and Leeteuk walked inside with their boys following close behind. “Hey, sorry we’re late, the traffic coming out of Seoul was –” Leeteuk started as they headed into the living room. He stopped abruptly and gave an audible gasp when he found not only his grandparents sitting in the living room, but his parents as well. Kangin felt Leeteuk’s hand start to tremble harder.

          “Did it get suddenly cold in here to you guys?” Heechul sarcastically asked his brothers.

          “What, what are you guys doing here?” Leeteuk wondered, trying not to make his nervous voice apparent.

          “We were asked to come here, and what are you and your freak show family doing here?” Leeteuk’s mother questioned, crossing her arms.

          “I’m gonna take a guess that that’s Leeteuk’s mom,” Hankyung guessed.

          “Bingo,” Heechul confirmed.

          “Just settle down dear, we asked them to come. We wanted to see our grandson and our great-grandsons again; is that too much to ask?” Leeteuk’s grandfather stated before smiling over at Leeteuk and Kangin. “It’s good to see you guys again.”

          “Why didn’t you tell us they were coming?” Leeteuk’s mother asked through gritted teeth as she turned to Leeteuk’s grandfather.

          “Why didn’t you tell us she was still a ?” Heechul muttered under his breath, causing his brothers to smirk at the remark.

          “Heechul, stop,” Kangin firmly scolded.

          “God, you brought more, did you decide to adopt more gay kids to add to your collection?” Leeteuk’s father wondered, gazing over at Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, and Hankyung.

          “No dad, those are their boyfriends,” Leeteuk corrected before his mother scoffed.

           “Oh just stop, honestly can’t you two act like a couple of adults for a few hours tonight?” Leeteuk’s grandfather requested.

          “Come here and let me see my boys,” Leeteuk’s grandmother said as she stood up and walked over to Leeteuk and Kangin. “I’ve missed my grandsons over the past year.” The elderly woman hugged the couple before turning to Heechul, Donghae, Yesung, and Sungmin. “And I see your boys are still doing well. Now some of these faces are new.”

          “Yes, grandmother and grandfather you haven’t met Kyuhyun, Hankyung, and Ryeowook before, but I’m sure you remember Eunhyuk, Donghae’s boyfriend, from last Thanksgiving,” Leeteuk replied.

          “Oh yes, Eunhyuk,” Leeteuk’s grandfather recognized. “How’ve you been son? Are you still living with Kangin and Leeteuk as well or have you been lucky enough to mend things up with your parents?”

          “Yes sir, I’m still living with Kangin and Leeteuk, and no, my parents haven’t spoken to me ever since they kicked me out. But I love staying with Kangin and Leeteuk, they treat me like I’m their son,” Eunhyuk informed.

          “We’ll I’m glad you’re in a place where you’re happy,” Leeteuk’s grandfather stated.

          “C’mon everyone, let’s go eat while everything is still hot,” Leeteuk’s grandmother suggested, ushering everyone towards the dining room. As they sat down, Leeteuk looked across the table from himself and Kangin to see his parents shooting glares over at him every few minutes. The brunette took a deep breath before feeling Kangin place his hand on his leg to calm him down some.

          “So what exciting things have been going on in your lives lately boys?” Leeteuk’s grandfather asked the teenage Koreans sitting at the table before taking a bite of food.

          Kyuhyun and Sungmin looked at one another before Kyuhyun took the blonde’s hand, and Sungmin stated “Kyuhyun and I are getting married next year.”

          “Oh my god, that’s wonderful honey,” Leeteuk’s grandmother replied.

          “Wow, congratulations you guys; you two will have to give us the date when you set one so we can come,” Leeteuk’s grandfather added.

          “We’ll be sure to send you a wedding invitation,” Sungmin promised as Kyuhyun draped an arm around his shoulders.

          “So have you looked at any venues yet?” Leeteuk’s grandmother asked.

          “We’ve decided to have it on the beach, Minnie loved it when we went on vacation last year, and I want to make my baby happy and give him the wedding he wants, so we’ll be having a small ceremony on the beach with just our immediate family,” Kyuhyun explained. “We’re planning on having it in either mid or late June, after we’ve graduated high school.”

          “Well it’s good that you’re waiting until after high school to get married,” Leeteuk’s grandmother responded. “I know some people that didn’t even do that.” The elder woman rolled her eyes over to Leeteuk’s mother, causing the woman to narrow her gaze at Leeteuk in retaliation. “Are you boys excited?”

          “Very excited, in less than a year I’ll become Cho Sungmin,” the blonde stated before smiling up at his fiancé.

          “I like the sound of that, it suits you well,” Kyuhyun said before placing a quick kiss on Sungmin’s lips.

          “Unbelievable,” Leeteuk’s mother mumbled as she stabbed her food with a fork.

          “What can’t you believe mother? That our son is gay and is marrying someone who makes him happy?” Leeteuk wondered, glancing over at the woman.

          “I can’t believe how comfortable everyone is with all this. First Leeteuk and his whatever you call him –” Leeteuk’s mother started.

          “I call him my husband mom, just like you do with dad,” Leeteuk defended as Kangin placed his hand on Leeteuk’s back.

          “First you two decide it’s a good idea to raise kids, and now because of your ways, it’s corrupted how these teenagers see the world. They think homouality is okay,” Leeteuk’s mother continued.

          Leeteuk took a breath before responding “Mom, homouality has come a long way in the past few years. People are starting to accept it more, and our sons –”

          “Oh stop calling them that; they’re not even your kids. You just got lucky enough that someone was willing to give them to you,” Leeteuk’s mother spat.

          “Shut the up , Kangin and Leeteuk are better parents than you sorry s will ever dream to be,” Heechul retaliated, giving angry glances to Leeteuk’s parents.

          “Heechul enough,” Kangin scolded, causing the raven haired Korean to lean back in his chair as Hankyung gently placed a hand on his boyfriend’s hand. “And as for you, you have no right to sit there and judge our boys; you don’t know the hell each of them has endured,” Kangin replied, aiming a finger at Leeteuk’s mother.

          She pointed at each of the boys as she added “I bet these kids would’ve never dreamed of having a gay partner if they had been raised by normal, level headed people instead of queers. Maybe then you’d actually have the chance to have some grandchildren like I wanted for so long.”

          “You have grandsons, you have four right here and a future grandson-in-law down there,” Leeteuk reminded, feeling his voice get louder slightly.

          “Not biological grandsons. Do you even think about how this affects your family Leeteuk? Do you ever stop to think about the looks your father and I get when people ask us how our son is, and we have to say that he’s gay and we only see him once a year at my parents’ expense? Do you know how many times I’ve seen my friends with their grandbabies so happy and joyful, and all I can say is that my apparent grandsons are gay teenagers? You don’t even think about how your lifestyle affects us; you only just think about yourselves,” Leeteuk’s mother informed. “What about that boy’s parents, have you even considered how they feel about their son marrying a guy?”

          “Now I wanna say something,” Kyuhyun spoke up.

          “No Kyuhyun, please don’t get involved,” Sungmin whispered, rubbing at his fiancé’s arm.

          “It’s okay baby,” Kyuhyun gently promised before standing and turning towards Leeteuk’s mother. “For your information you bigoted , my family couldn’t be happier than Sungmin and I are getting married. They believe that I deserve to marry someone who makes me happy, be that a girl or a boy. Sungmin and I are very happy with one another, we’ve had a few hiccups along the way, but that makes us stronger, and we are not going to let anything or anyone keep us from being together. My fiancé and I know that homouality isn’t accepted by everyone, but it’s accepted by most people, and it’s accepted by the people we care the most about. You don’t have to agree with our decision to be together, you don’t have to agree with Kangin and Leeteuk’s decision to be together, but you sure as hell better not sit there and call any of us terrible people just because we chose to love the people that make us the happiest.” Kyuhyun sat back down before Sungmin grabbed his arm gently and leaned his head against Kyuhyun’s shoulder.

          “Daddy, you and mother are okay with all this?” Leeteuk’s mother questioned, turning to Leeteuk’s grandmother.

          “Honey, it doesn’t bother us. There are worse things that Leeteuk could’ve become than a homoual. He’s not addicted to drugs, he’s not a e, he’s not a murderer or a , he’s not a hateful person, he’s an amazing man who’s done everything you originally wanted. Leeteuk got married and gave you grandchildren, and you don’t wanna accept that just because he chose to love a man?” Leeteuk’s grandfather asked.

          “Dad, he’s –” Leeteuk’s mother started.

          “No, stop, I don’t wanna hear whatever bull excuse you have,” Leeteuk’s grandfather snapped, causing the rest of the table to widen their eyes.

          “Yeah you tell her dear,” Leeteuk’s grandmother encouraged from the other side of the table.

          “It’s time you and your husband grew up and accepted that Leeteuk chose a different lifestyle. And in my opinion, I prefer his husband over yours; Kangin is more of a man than your husband will ever be. You should be thanking Leeteuk that he has even allowed you to see your grandchildren after the hell you’ve put him through,” Leeteuk’s grandfather stated.

          Leeteuk’s mother cleared before setting her fork down and standing up. She grabbed her water glass and flung water all over the front of her son, causing Leeteuk to clench his eyes shut and quietly and slowly breathe in shock at what just happened. Ryeowook and Sungmin gasped and covered their mouths as they watched what happened. Hankyung gripped Heechul’s hand, keeping him in his chair, just in case he decided to get violent towards the woman. Leeteuk’s mother leaned forward and growled “Thank you Leeteuk, thank you for ruining your mother’s life and not only corrupting the mind of those boys, but also the minds of your grandparents as well. You and your kind can burn in Hell for all I care. C’mon honey, we’re leaving.”

          Leeteuk’s father stood up and followed his wife out of the house, leaving everyone there in silence. Kangin took a napkin and began to wipe the water off of his husband’s face and shirt. “Leeteuk –” he started.

          “No, don’t say anything Kangin, it’s even worth it,” Leeteuk muttered.

          “Don’t let her get to you Leeteuk; you’ve done absolutely nothing wrong,” Leeteuk’s grandmother said.

          “And don’t worry, we’re never inviting them over again since they want to treat you like that,” Leeteuk’s grandfather added.

          “Tell me I wasn’t the only one who wanted to rip out or stab her with a rusty knife,” Heechul wondered.

          “I think we all wanted to Heechul,” Donghae figured.

          Later that night, after the family had returned home, Leeteuk lie in bed and faced the wall, mind buzzing all over the place. He felt Kangin climb in bed next to him and gently press a kiss against his shoulder. “You okay baby?” Kangin whispered.

          “What do you think?” Leeteuk muttered back.

          Kangin sighed before kissing Leeteuk’s shoulder again. “I’m sorry; I had no idea what was going to go down tonight. That was just so unexpected of your mother to just throw water on you,” Kangin said.

          “Was it really? I’m surprised she didn’t throw anything hot on me,” Leeteuk replied. “At least she didn’t throw a knife at me like she did when I first came out to her.”

          Kangin wrapped an arm around Leeteuk’s waist and pulled him closer as the brunette turned over and leaned his head against his husband’s chest. “The important thing is that we got to see your grandparents, and the boys are standing up to your parents. They said some very good things about us tonight,” Kangin reminded.

          Leeteuk smiled. “Yeah they did, I’m proud of them.”

          “Remember what your grandmother said; don’t let what your mom said get to you. We have a wonderful marriage, four incredible sons, we’re gonna get a new son-in-law soon, and we’re still talking about adopting another baby after the boys leave for college,” Kangin responded, grazing his fingers of Leeteuk’s arm. He leaned down and kissed Leeteuk’s lips gently. “I will never regret marrying you, no matter how much shame and hate your parents try to throw at us. I love you Leeteuk.”

          “I love you too Kangin,” Leeteuk echoed.

          Kangin smirked before asking “Do you know that if Sungmin and Kyuhyun adopt a baby soon after they get married that we’ll not only be young parents, but young grandparents?”

          “Ugh, don’t even talk like that, I don’t even wanna imagine me being a grandmother yet,” Leeteuk laughed as he playfully slapped at Kangin’s chest.

          “You’ll still be my y mama, even when you’re old and rocking a walker,” Kangin promised, gently kissing at Leeteuk’s neck. “And I’d do anything for my y baby.”

          Leeteuk giggled before wrapping his arms around Kangin’s neck and pulled him closer as Kangin did the same with Leeteuk, before the couple kissed each other once more. “I’m glad I married you, you make me so happy,” Leeteuk muttered.

          “You make me happy too,” Kangin replied, pressing his forehead against Leeteuk’s before reaching over to turn the lamp off.