Chapter 49

After a Minute

          The next morning, the couples struggled to open up their eyes as the alarm clocks blasted in their faces. Yawning, and still exhausted, they got up and got their babies ready for school. Dragging themselves and the dolls downstairs, Leeteuk and Kangin greeted them at the kitchen table. “Good morning boys,” the couple said in unison.

          The only response they received were eight groans. “I’m guessing the babies kept you up all night?” Leeteuk figured as he served each teenager some food.

          “You have no idea,” Heechul replied as he slowly brought food up to his mouth.

          “I don’t think I’m ever having kids after this assignment,” Donghae muttered, rubbing his eyes.

          “How long do you have them for?” Kangin wondered.

          “The teacher said a couple of weeks,” Yesung informed. “But it’s only day two and I’m ready to throw this thing out of the window.”

          Ryeowook held their baby close to him. “No Yesung, don’t throw Charlotte out. She doesn’t know what she’s doing, she’s just a baby,” the brunette reminded.

          “Well, breakfast will help wake you up, and I stocked the refrigerator with energy drinks for an extra pick me up,” Leeteuk stated as he sat back down.

          The eight looked at one another before hurrying over to the refrigerator and tearing open the door. They each grabbed an energy drink and drank it down quickly. “Damn that really helps,” Heechul gasped as he took a breath.

          “Thank you Leeteuk,” the boys said as they looked over at the brunette parent.

          “You’re welcome guys, now please hurry and finish eating, you’ve got to get to school soon,” Leeteuk reminded.

          When they’d finished eating breakfast, the eight boys went back upstairs to get the baby bags for the dolls. “Guys look, Sungmin and I bought these so that it’d be easy to carry our babies and have two free hands,” Ryeowook announced as he slipped something around his chest.

          “What the hell is that?” Heechul asked.

          “Yeah, it’s kinda looking,” Eunhyuk muttered before Donghae hit him on the arm. “What was that for?”

          “Not in front of the babies,” Donghae gently scolded.

          “It’s called a baby Bjorn,” Ryeowook informed. “See, you slip it on and place the baby in the pouch on the chest, and ta-da, you can carry your child and still have free hands.”

          “The hell if I’m wearing one of those,” Kyuhyun said.

          Sungmin turned to his fiancé. “You don’t have to Kyuhyun, I’ll wear it,” he replied as he slipped on the Bjorn and placed Haru into the pouch.

          When the boys got to school, they sat down at their desks. “How is everyone this morning?” the teacher asked. After the other students groaned as well, the boys figured they weren’t the only ones who didn’t get enough sleep the previous evening. “Well today, we’re going to learn how to properly change your baby’s diaper.”

          Donghae and Eunhyuk grinned at each other before Donghae raised his hand. “My mom taught us how to do it last night,” he stated.

          “Well that’s good that she can help you,” the teacher responded.

          The two looked at each other before Eunhyuk smirked “She.”

          After learning how to properly change their babies, class ended. Sungmin picked up Haru and placed her in the Bjorn before walking out to his locker. Opening up the locker, the blonde began to set books inside when a soft voice said “I like your baby.”

          Turning his head to the side, Sungmin saw a girl standing next to him. “Thanks, Haru is my home economics assignment,” he replied. “Are you new here, I’ve never seen you before?”

          “Yeah, I transferred here this year. I’m Kim Saeun,” the girl introduced.

          “I’m Lee Sungmin,” the blonde Korean responded. He looked down at the baby doll. “And of course you’ve already met little Haru here.”

          Kim Saeun gently touched the doll’s hand before stating “She’s so cute, just like you.” Sungmin froze as the girl placed her hand on his shoulder. “So tell me, does a cutie like you have a girlfriend?”

          “Um, well I –” Sungmin didn’t know what to say. This had never happened to him before.

          Suddenly, Sungmin saw Kim Saeun’s hand be off of his shoulder. “And just what the hell are you doing?” Kyuhyun demanded as he glared at the girl.

          “Kyuhyun, this is Kim Saeun, she’s new here,” Sungmin said quietly.

          “I don’t give a who she is, I want to know why she’s trying to hit on my fiancé,” Kyuhyun growled.

          “Your fiancé, wait so you’re gay?” Kim Saeun wondered.

          “Yes, Sungmin is my fiancé, could you not tell by the engagement ring he’s wearing, or are you one of those es that just doesn’t care and will take anyone they can?” Kyuhyun questioned harshly.

          “Kyuhyun, stop it, be nice to her,” Sungmin quietly scolded. Before anyone said anything else, Haru began to cry. “See, you’ve upset our daughter.” Sungmin began to shush the doll and bounce her gently in the Bjorn. He walked a little ways down the hall and pulled out a bottle, guessing Haru was probably hungry.

          Kyuhyun glared at Kim Saeun before lowly muttering “Stay away from Sungmin; he’s not friends with people like you.”

          “I think it’s Sungmin’s choice whether we’re friends or not,” Kim Saeun replied in the same quiet tone. “I have my ways of persuading people.”

          Seeing her grin over at Sungmin the way she did caused Kyuhyun to push her back against the lockers and threaten “Listen you , you stay away from my fiancé. He’s not yours, he will never be yours, he is mine and mine alone, you got that? I have been through too much hell with him to have him taken from me by a like you. I love him, and I’m going to be with him, so you keep your distance from him. Don’t make me have to tell you again.”

          Kyuhyun pulled away and stormed down the hall, dragging Sungmin with him. “Kyuhyun, that was very rude how you spoke to that girl,” the blonde said as he continued to feed their baby doll.

          “Minnie, I don’t want her taking you away from me, and I have a feeling that’s what she’s going to try and do,” Kyuhyun replied.

          Sungmin placed a hand on Kyuhyun’s cheek and whispered “Don’t you know that I love you and only you? That’s why I’m marrying you, because I don’t want anyone else. You protect me and make me feel loved and safe; no one could ever replace you.”

          Kyuhyun leaned forward and took Sungmin’s face in his hands as he kissed his lips. “I love you Minnie,” he said.

          “I love you too Kyuhyun, you and only you,” Sungmin responded.

          When school had ended that day, Ryeowook and Sungmin wanted the group to take their babies to the park to play. “You guys know that these are just dolls right?” Yesung reminded.

          “Don’t call them that Yesung, they have feelings too,” Ryeowook replied.

          “What, what can they feel?” Yesung wondered.

          “Well Charlotte can feel when her daddy doesn’t love her,” Ryeowook spat as he hugged the little doll close.

          Yesung kissed Ryeowook’s forehead and then Charlotte’s head. “I’m sorry, I do love our baby and I love you too. C’mon, we’ll go to the park,” he agreed.

          After the boys got to the park, Ryeowook, Yesung, Sungmin, and Kyuhyun took their babies over to the seesaw. “Okay, Sungmin, let’s get on with our babies,” Ryeowook suggested as the two climbed on with Haru and Charlotte and began to go up and down slowly.

          Kyuhyun and Yesung stood there and watched their boyfriends. “Our boyfriends are such girls,” Yesung said to Kyuhyun.

          “I think it’s cute,” Kyuhyun replied as he watched Ryeowook and Sungmin giggle quietly.

          Meanwhile, Heechul and Hankyung were at the slide with Anna. Heechul took her to the top while Hankyung waited at the bottom. “Heechul, be careful up there,” Hankyung called.

          “Don’t worry, we’re fine,” Heechul promised as he sat down at the top of the slide and placed Anna on his lap. “Alright princess, are you ready to slide down to daddy? Here we go.”

          Heechul pushed off and slid down the slide, holding Anna tightly. Hankyung clapped as they landed. “Yay, did you have fun?” Hankyung asked Anna as he picked up the baby doll from Heechul.

          “I think she liked it since she didn’t cry,” Heechul figured as Hankyung took his hand and pulled him up. “I’m gonna take her up again.”

          Over at the swing set, Donghae and Eunhyuk placed Aiden in one of the baby swings and pushed him back and forth gently. “Hey Donghae,” Eunhyuk said.

          “What?” Donghae asked.

          “I got an idea,” Eunhyuk replied with a smile.

          “Okay,” Donghae answered.

          “Wanna see if we can make Aiden swing up over the bar and come back around?” Eunhyuk suggested.

          “Dude, that sounds awesome, let’s try it,” Donghae agreed as he stepped back a little.

          “Okay, hold on tight Aiden,” Eunhyuk instructed the doll. “One . . . two . . . three.”

          Eunhyuk pushed the swing as hard as he could so that Aiden swung up over the top bar. Only, he didn’t return back down in the swing. Instead, Aiden fell head first to the ground before the swing finally came back down too. Donghae and Eunhyuk stood there frozen, as the others walked over. Ryeowook gasped “Did you drop your baby?!”

          “No of course not, he fell,” Eunhyuk corrected.

          “That’s even worse you idiot,” Kyuhyun replied.

          “What were you guys doing?” Heechul asked.

          “Seeing if we could make Aiden do a 360 in the swing,” Donghae explained.

          “Well obviously it was a flop, literally,” Yesung responded as he pointed to the baby on the ground.

          “You don’t think we broke it do you?” Donghae wondered as he knelt down next to the doll.

          Suddenly, Aiden began crying, so Eunhyuk picked him up and said “Apparently not. Sorry about that little dude.”

          “Yeah Aiden, we’ll get you a helmet before we try that again,” Donghae added as he gently rubbed Aiden’s head.

          Heechul leaned over to Kyuhyun and whispered “I hope to god they never have real kids, or else that baby is going to be ed up by the time it’s our age.” Kyuhyun nodded in agreement.