Chapter 3

After a Minute

          “So boys, how was your first day at school?” Kangin asked that night as they all sat down to eat together.

          The brothers looked at each other before Donghae replied “It was good. I got this guy’s phone number.”

          “Oh wonderful,” Leeteuk responded happily. “What about you Sungmin, did you have a good day?” The blonde nodded as he continued to allow images of Kyuhyun to run through his mind.

          “Heechul, can you explain why I got a call from your principal saying that you got into a fight at school today?” Kangin asked as he looked over at the raven haired teen.

          Heechul pushed around some food with his fork before muttering “It was nothing.”

          “Nothing, Heechul, you got into a fight on your first day of school, and you think that’s okay?” Kangin questioned.

          “Kangin,” Leeteuk quietly scolded.

          After looking over at Leeteuk, Kangin said “Heechul, why were you fighting? Did he start it?”

          “Oh my God, can’t we just leave this alone. Some wanted to cause trouble cuz I was on his turf, but I handled it,” Heechul frustratingly replied.

          “Actually, Hankyung handled it,” Yesung muttered.

          “Who’s Hankyung?” Leeteuk asked.

          “The boy who stepped in and helped Heechul,” Donghae stated.

          “Not the time you guys,” Heechul said as he glared at his brothers.

          “Well it was nice you made a friend,” Leeteuk replied.

          “He’s not my friend, I don’t make friends,” Heechul responded as he continued to eat.

          “What are we then?” Yesung asked as he pointed to himself, Donghae, and Sungmin.

          “You three are different, you guys I tolerate because you annoy me less than everyone else,” Heechul explained.

          “I guess that makes sense,” Yesung hesitantly agreed. “Leeteuk, I made a friend who volunteered to help me with math cuz it’s not my best subject.”

          “Okay, that’s good, are you guys going to be working after school?” Leeteuk wondered.

          “Possibly, is it okay if we maybe do homework over here?” Yesung requested.

          “Sure, is that okay with you honey?” Leeteuk asked, looking at Kangin.

          “I don’t have a problem with it,” Kangin agreed.

          “Sungmin, did you make any new friends today?” Leeteuk asked gently as he looked over at the blonde.

          Sungmin looked up at Leeteuk and nodded no. “The same who picked on Heechul tried to pick on him as well,” Yesung informed as he wrapped an arm around his brother.

          “Cute,” Sungmin muttered.

          “What was that sweetie?” Leeteuk asked.

          “That guy called Sungmin cute,” Donghae clarified.

          “I don’t like him, and he sure as hell isn’t going to touch Sungmin,” Yesung stated as the blonde leaned in closer to him.

          Later that night, when Sungmin fell asleep, Yesung asked Donghae “You don’t think this freak Kyuhyun actually likes Sungmin do you?”

          “Well I don’t really know; I mean he did call Sungmin cute,” Donghae reminded.

          “Everyone calls Sungmin cute though, he’s like an adorable little bunny,” Yesung stated as he ran a hand through his brother’s blonde hair.

          “Just don’t freak out over it, I’m sure Sungmin is perfectly capable of telling us when Kyuhyun bothers him. When that happens, we will deal with it, until then, leave Kyuhyun alone; that goes for you too Heechul,” Donghae instructed.

          “Yeah, yeah,” Heechul replied.

          “Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go text Eunhyuk,” Donghae said before walking out of Yesung and Sungmin’s room, and into his own.

          Heechul turned to Yesung. “I never did ask how your first day went,” he said quietly.

          “It wasn’t too bad. Like I told Leeteuk, I met this nice boy in my math class who offered to help me with homework,” Yesung replied. “You?”

          “I didn’t go to class today, didn’t want to,” Heechul responded.

          “Heechul when was the last time you ever wanted to go to class?” Yesung wondered.

          “Good point,” Heechul agreed.

          “Maybe you should go tomorrow to at least one, just to see what it’s like. I mean if Leeteuk and Kangin find out you’ve been skipping, they’ll get upset,” Yesung suggested.

          “Fine I’ll try it, but not for them, because you asked me to,” Heechul said before getting up and walking into his room.

          “Yesung,” Sungmin whispered after Heechul closed the door.

          Immediately, Yesung was next to his brother. “What is it Minnie?” he asked quietly.

          “Don’t let Kyuhyun hurt me,” he slowly pleaded.

          Yesung pulled Sungmin closer and his blonde hair as he replied “I won’t. Kyuhyun will have to get through me, Donghae, and Heechul before he harms you.”

          The next day, the brothers sat down in their respective classrooms, ready to start their second day. “Hey Donghae,” Eunhyuk said as he sat down next to his new friend.

          “Oh hey Eunhyuk,” Donghae replied, trying to hide his blush from Eunhyuk’s view.

          “Ya know, I’m having a get-together at my house this Friday night, and I think you and your brothers should come,” Eunhyuk suggested.

          “Really?” Donghae asked.

          “Sure, it’d give you guys a good chance to introduce yourselves to more people maybe meet some cute girls,” Eunhyuk responded.

          “Yeah sure, we’d love to,” Donghae agreed. The Korean teen then realized what Eunhyuk had said. Meet cute girls? Donghae didn’t know if he should tell Eunhyuk that he didn’t really like girls like that, but he didn’t want to appear weird in front of his new friend; especially since he had growing feelings for Eunhyuk.

          Meanwhile in Yesung’s math class, the raven haired boy was trying to listen to his math lesson and catch glances of Ryeowook in the process. Suddenly, he felt his phone vibrate and noticed he had received a text from Donghae. It was informing him that Eunhyuk had invited them to a party. Yesung looked over at Ryeowook. “Hey Ryeowook,” he whispered.

          “Yes?” he replied.

          “Are you going to Eunhyuk’s party Friday night?” Yesung asked.

          “Oh, no I’m not. I don’t go to parties. Eunhyuk invites me, but I don’t go because I’m too shy around people,” Ryeowook explained.

          “Well, while they’re at a party, you could come over to my house and hang out with me if you want,” Yesung offered.

          “Really?” Ryeowook replied with wide eyes.

          “Yeah, why not, we’ll have a good time,” Yesung promised with a grin.

          “Um, sure, I’d love to come over and hang out,” Ryeowook agreed. The brunette turned his head, smiled, and tried to hide his red cheeks from Yesung, as his friend texted back Donghae.

          Heechul received the same text as Yesung, but ignored it. Heechul had decided to go to class, but refused to pay attention. He spent most of his time writing or drawing, and didn’t even bother to look up. “What are you writing?” his neighbor asked.

          Looking over, Heechul saw that Hankyung was sitting next to him. “You’re in this class?” Heechul questioned.

          “Yes, I don’t remember seeing you in here yesterday, but I sense that you don’t like being in classrooms,” Hankyung replied.

          “Gee, whatever gave you that impression?” Heechul sarcastically asked before he went back to his writing.

          “I’m sorry, did I offend you?” Hankyung wondered.

          “No, can I please just go back to what I was doing?” Heechul requested.

          “Ya know, if you’re having trouble in here, I can help you,” Hankyung offered.

          “I don’t need your help,” Heechul replied a little too loudly.

          He caused the whole class to fall silent and turn to him. “My apologies, my friend is not having a good day,” Hankyung apologized before everyone went back to the lesson.

          “Your friend?” Heechul asked.

          “Yes, well I consider everyone my friend. Everyone has been nice to be ever since I got here,” Hankyung informed.

          “Where are you from?” Heechul wondered.

          “I’m an exchange student from China. I’ve been here for about two years now,” Hankyung explained.

          “That’s cool,” Heechul responded. “I guess you could consider me a friend, but as long as you’re cool with my brothers.”

          “Okay, hey, my friend Eunhyuk is having a party Friday night, you should come,” Hankyung offered.

          “Yeah, my brother Donghae texted me about that a few minutes ago. I guess I’ll go, are you going?” Heechul asked.

          “Yeah, I go to almost all of Eunhyuk’s parties; they’re really fun,” Hankyung stated.

          “Cool,” Heechul said as a small smile formed on his lips.

          Sungmin felt his heart pound loudly, as he breathed in and out slowly when he saw none other than Kyuhyun enter his class. ‘What’s he doing here?’ Sungmin thought to himself.

          He prayed that the brunette wouldn’t notice him, but Kyuhyun locked eyes with him and let an evil grin appear across his lips as he walked over to Sungmin. “Well hey there cutie,” Kyuhyun said as he gripped Sungmin’s desk and got just inches from his face.

          Sungmin turned his head away from Kyuhyun, but the bully turned his head back to face him. “Hello,” Sungmin whispered.

          “Why do you seem nervous?” Kyuhyun questioned. “Do I intimidate you?” Sungmin slowly nodded which caused Kyuhyun to quietly laugh. “Don’t be scared,” Kyuhyun muttered as he ran the back of his hand down Sungmin’s face gently. “I’m not gonna hurt you.”

          Before Kyuhyun could continue, the bell rang. Sungmin jumped up, ran out of his class, and into the closest bathroom. The blonde locked himself in one of the stalls, slid down against the wall, and trembled. He pulled out his phone and texted Yesung to come get him. After a minute, Yesung showed up and knocked on the stall. “Minnie, it’s me,” he quietly said.

          Sungmin slowly unlocked the door and clung onto Yesung. “Kyuhyun,” Sungmin muttered.

          Yesung wiped the tears off of Sungmin’s cheeks and replied “Did he hurt you?”

          “No,” Sungmin said.

          “What did he do?” Yesung asked gently.

          “Touch,” Sungmin informed as he demonstrated the move Kyuhyun did to him. Yesung held Sungmin as the blonde finished crying.

          “Was today any better?” Leeteuk asked the boys that night as they ate dinner.

          “Yeah, we got invited to a party Friday night at Eunhyuk’s,” Donghae informed.

          “Oh that’s good, my boys are going to their first high school party,” Leeteuk said with a smile.

          “Geez Leeteuk, don’t have a heart attack,” Heechul muttered.

          “I’m not going, Ryeowook is coming over because he’s socially shy,” Yesung replied.

          “That’s fine, we’d love to meet your friend,” Kangin agreed.

          “Sungmin sweetie, was your day okay?” Leeteuk asked.

          “Kyuhyun,” Sungmin whispered.

          “What?” Heechul demanded as he and Donghae were brought to light of the situation.

          “Kyuhyun approached Sungmin again and scared him,” Yesung explained.

          “I’ll deal with him tomorrow,” Heechul promised.

          “Heechul please don’t get involved with this,” Leeteuk requested.

          “He’s my brother, I wanna help him,” Heechul stated.

          “No,” Sungmin said.

          “What do you mean?” Heechul asked. Sungmin nodded slowly before getting up and going into his and Yesung’s room.

          Later that night, Yesung asked Sungmin “Minnie, why don’t you want anyone to help you with Kyuhyun?”

          Sungmin turned to Yesung and muttered “I think I like him.”