Chapter 33

After a Minute

          Over the next few days, Sungmin refused to get out of bed. He lie wrapped up in his blanket, clutching the bunny that Kyuhyun had bought him for Christmas and the note he’d written him. The blonde cried constantly and barely spoke a word to anyone. His brothers and friends had tried to get him out of bed, but Sungmin denied every time. “Minnie, do you need us to bring you anything?” Donghae asked as he knelt down next to his brother.

          Sungmin opened his eyes and whispered as tears fell from his eyes, “I need Kyuhyun.”

          The guys remained quiet as Donghae gently ran his hand through Sungmin’s blonde hair. “At least come downstairs and eat with us,” Ryeowook requested. “Eating will help you feel better.”
          “I don’t want anything,” Sungmin muttered as he curled into a ball. “Please, just leave me alone.”

          “Okay Sungmin, we’ll leave you alone,” Donghae replied as they slowly exited the bedroom. The brunette turned to his brother. “Yesung, will you stay in here and keep an eye on him?”

          “Sure,” Yesung agreed as he walked back into the bedroom. He sat down next to Sungmin on the bed. “Minnie, will you talk to me please?” he whispered.

          Sungmin rolled over felt his brother his face gently. “I miss him Yesung. I want him to hold me in his arms again, I want him to kiss me and say that he loves me; I wanna see him smile and laugh, I want him to touch my body and lay in bed with me again,” Sungmin cried.

          “I know Kyuhyun means the world to you, but he won’t be gone forever, he promised he’d come back and I honestly believe him. Do you believe him?” Yesung asked.

          The blonde looked down at the note and reread it over and over. These were the last words his love had left for him, and Sungmin wanted very much to believe that Kyuhyun would return to him. He nodded at Yesung as he clenched his eyes shut and felt his chest begin to hurt. “Come here Minnie,” Yesung quietly said as he laid Sungmin’s head on his lap and covered him up with a blanket. He a hand over his hair like he used to when they still lived in the Boys Home. Sungmin closed his eyes and imagined it being Kyuhyun’s hand on his head, but Kyuhyun’s hands had a slightly rougher feel to them than Yesung’s did.

          After two weeks, the brothers had convinced Sungmin to get out of bed and come to school. They had to help him do little things because he so depressed that his energy was drained from his body. Yesung helped him dress and brush his teeth and hair, Donghae helped him eat his breakfast, Eunhyuk made him lunch to take to school, and Heechul helped him put his shoes on. Leeteuk was nervous about letting Sungmin go back to school in the state he was in, but knew his brothers would keep him safe. “Have a good day sweetie,” Leeteuk said as he kissed his son’s forehead. He turned to the others. “Please keep an eye on him today.”

          “We will Leeteuk,” Heechul promised.

          Sungmin sat at his desk and looked at the empty spot where Kyuhyun should be. The blonde pictured Kyuhyun sitting there, catching glances back at him and smiling. He felt tears well in his eyes, stood up, and ran out of class and into the nearest bathroom. Sungmin pressed himself against the wall and slid down to the floor. Pulling out his phone, he texted his brothers to come to the bathroom. “What’s wrong Minnie?” Donghae asked as he, Yesung, and Heechul entered.

          “I wanna go home, I can’t do this,” Sungmin sobbed as he buried his head in his arms.

          “Sungmin it’s been two weeks since Kyuhyun left, it’s time you accepted it,” Heechul stated.

          The blonde shot his head up and questioned with tears rolling down his cheeks “How would you feel if Hankyung left you Heechul? How would you feel if Ryeowook left or Eunhyuk left and you had no idea when or if they’d come back to you? You’d feel like your heart was ripped in half and thrown at your feet. I didn’t just lose my boyfriend; I lost part of my soul.”

          Yesung knelt down and hugged his brother as Sungmin latched onto him. Looking up at Donghae, Yesung muttered “Maybe we should call Leeteuk and see if he’ll come get Minnie.”

          “Yesung, he’s got to get back in the rhythm of things,” Donghae reminded.

          “Not yet, he’s not emotionally ready,” the black haired teen said as he felt Sungmin tremble in his arms.  

          Donghae pulled out his phone and called Leeteuk. A few minutes later, the brunette was at the school and took Sungmin home. The blonde spent the rest of the day wrapped up in bed watching Donghae’s copy of Titanic and eating cookies that Leeteuk made for him in hopes that he’d feel better. Sungmin slumped into the bathroom and looked at his face in the mirror. His eyes were red and swollen, his face was paler than normal, his lips were dry and cracked, and his blonde hair was a mess a top his head. Sungmin looked down at the sink and splashed cool water onto his face, letting the water soothe his flushed cheeks. “Minnie,” he heard a whisper.

          Sungmin shot his head up and looked in the mirror. He saw Kyuhyun standing in the doorway smiling at him. Quickly, the blonde turned to the door, but found no one standing there. He looked back in the mirror and saw no one there either. His mind was beginning to play cruel tricks on him, which caused Sungmin grip the sink in frustration and sadness.

          When the brothers returned home that evening, they found Sungmin asleep in his bed, holding his bunny close. “This is not gonna be any easy process,” Yesung figured as they walked downstairs to eat dinner.

          “I know, Sungmin is already so fragile; I’m hoping Kyuhyun really isn’t gone for good, because Sungmin won’t last long if he is,” Heechul agreed as they sat down at the table.

          Upstairs, Sungmin sat up in bed and held a small bottle in his hands. Feeling the cold plastic in his hands, Sungmin thought about what he was about to do, but thought that if he couldn’t be with Kyuhyun, then it wasn’t worth going on anymore. The memories of them flashed through his mind as he unscrewed the bottle cap slowly. He took a drink of water to moisten his throat before reading the note Kyuhyun had wrote him once more. Kissing the paper before folding it up, Sungmin placed it underneath his stuffed bunny. “I love you Kyuhyun,” he whispered out loud to no one.

          Downstairs, the rest of the family was eating quietly when they heard a loud thud. “What was that?” Leeteuk asked.

          “Sounded like it came from my room,” Yesung said. The brothers realized something was wrong and jumped up before running upstairs.

          Throwing open the bedroom door, the three brothers discovered their blonde brother lying on the floor with an empty pill bottle next to him. “Minnie!” they yelled before rushing over to him.

          Yesung felt his neck. “His pulse is going down,” he informed.

          Heechul picked up the pill bottle. “Dammit, he tried to overdose.”

          “C’mon, we gotta get him to the ER,” Yesung stated as he picked up the unconscious Sungmin and carried him downstairs.

          “Leeteuk, Kangin, Minnie overdosed, we gotta get him to the hospital,” Donghae informed as they hurried into the garage.

          “Oh my god,” Leeteuk muttered as they shot up and quickly drove to the hospital.

          Sungmin could see lights flash outside his eyelids. He slowly opened his eyes and saw hospital lights rush by him as he was wheeled back to an operation room. “We gotta get his stomach pumped,” he heard the doctors say to one another as they put a breathing mask over his nose and mouth.

          “Kyuhyun,” Sungmin whispered before he out.

          A few hours later, the blonde opened his eyes and heard his heart monitor beeping at a normal pace, and saw his brothers and parents standing around him. “Hey, he’s waking up,” Heechul noticed as Yesung wrapped his arms around his brother.

          “Where am I?” Sungmin whispered.

          “You’re in the hospital sweetheart, you tried –” Leeteuk started.

          “You tried to kill yourself,” Heechul stated.

          “Minnie, what were you thinking?” Yesung asked as he placed his hands on his face.

          “I can’t live without Kyuhyun, I don’t wanna live without Kyuhyun,” Sungmin replied.

          “Would talking to him help?” Donghae offered.

          “Yes,” Sungmin said.

          “I got him on Skype for you, and he’s ready to talk,” Donghae informed as he handed Sungmin his iPad.

          The group left Sungmin alone in his room as Kyuhyun popped up on the screen. “Kyuhyun,” the blonde muttered as tears welled and dripped down his face.

          “Hey baby, why are you in a hospital?” Kyuhyun wondered.

          Sungmin cried and confessed “I overdosed.”

          “What, Minnie, why would you do such a thing?” Kyuhyun asked.

          “I don’t wanna live without you Kyuhyun,” Sungmin whispered as he laid down on the bed and held the iPad close to him.

          “Minnie listen to me; I am going to come back to you, not today, not tomorrow, but soon, I promise. Please, please don’t kill yourself, if I lost you I don’t know what I’d do,” Kyuhyun said as tears fell from his eyes.

          “Baby don’t cry,” Sungmin pleaded as he brushed the screen where Kyuhyun’s cheeks were.

          “Then please Sungmin, please promise me you won’t do this again,” Kyuhyun requested. “I love you and the last thing I want is to lose you. If you’re gone, who am I going to come home too?”

          Sungmin held the iPad against his chest before looking down at his boyfriend. “Okay, I promise that I won’t do this again, as long as you promise to Skype me once a week.”

          “I promise. Oh Minnie, all I wanna do right now is hold you in my arms and kiss you and tell you everything is going to be okay, but I can’t,” Kyuhyun said.

          “Could you stay here with me until I fall asleep?” Sungmin asked.

          “Yes baby, I love you,” Kyuhyun replied as Sungmin placed the iPad against his chest and kissed the screen.

          “I love you too Kyuhyun,” Sungmin muttered as he closed his eyes.