Chapter 27

After a Minute

          After the New Year had begun, Kyuhyun, Ryeowook, and Hankyung had to go back to their homes, but promised their boyfriends that they’d see them at school on the upcoming Monday. The couples hated being separated, even if it was for a short period of time; they’d gotten so used to being around one another, that they were almost dependent on each other.

          Monday finally came and the couples were reunited once more. Sungmin however, noticed that Kyuhyun seemed almost depressed. “Are you okay?” Sungmin asked.

          Kyuhyun forced a smile and muttered “Yeah Minnie, I’m fine.” He ran a hand through his boyfriend’s blonde hair and placed a kiss on his lips.

          “No you’re not, please don’t lie to me,” Sungmin said.

          “I can’t tell you here, can we wait til after school?” Kyuhyun wondered.

          “Okay,” Sungmin agreed.

          “So you guys know Valentine’s Day is coming up in a few weeks,” Ryeowook reminded that day at lunch.

          “Ah , really?” Kyuhyun asked.

          “Yeah, so are we all gonna do something as a group?” Ryeowook wondered.

          “Ryeowook, Valentine’s Day is meant to be spent alone with one person you love,” Yesung said.

          “What should we do?” Sungmin asked as he looked at Kyuhyun. “What’s something two people do when they’re in love?”

          Sungmin didn’t notice Heechul, Hankyung, Donghae, and Eunhyuk blush from the other side of the table. “Minnie, people usually kiss each other and tell each other they love them,” Kyuhyun informed.

          “But we do that every day,” Sungmin reminded.

          “But on this day, it’s very special, and I’ll show you why, when Valentine’s Day comes around,” Kyuhyun promised before kissing his lips.

          “You know, Sungmin does have a point,” Hankyung agreed as he and Heechul walked to their class after lunch. “What do you wanna do on Valentine’s Day?”

          “Do you really have to ask?” Heechul asked as he smiled as his boyfriend.

          “Well, I think we should mix it up a little bit, what do you think?” Hankyung wondered.

          “Okay, how do you wanna do that?” Heechul inquired as they sat down at their desks.

          “We can think about it for a few weeks,” Hankyung reminded. “But just think about what you’d like to do.”

          After school let out for the day, Kyuhyun went over to his boyfriend’s house. “Now will you please tell me what’s been bothering you today?” Sungmin requested as they sat down on the living room couch.

          Kyuhyun bit his bottom lip as he looked down. “I don’t want to hurt you Minnie,” he muttered.

          “What do you mean?” Sungmin wondered.

          Kyuhyun took Sungmin’s hand before gently his face with his other hand. Looking in his blonde boyfriend’s eyes, Kyuhyun felt tears well in his own before he stated “Minnie, I have to leave.”

          “What are you talking about, you just got here,” Sungmin innocently said.

          “No, Sungmin I mean that I have to move,” Kyuhyun slowly corrected.

          “Move where?” Sungmin asked.

          “America; my parents got job transfers and the position requires them to move, so consequently I’ll have to go with them,” Kyuhyun explained.

          “You’re leaving me?” Sungmin inquired as he pulled his hand away from Kyuhyun and stood up.

          “I don’t have a choice,” Kyuhyun stated.

          Sungmin closed his eyes and ran upstairs to his room, where he threw himself onto the bed and sobbed into the sheets. Kyuhyun walked in and sat down next to him, rubbing his back comfortingly. Laying down next to the blonde, Kyuhyun wrapped his arms around Sungmin and pulled him close. “Please, please don’t leave me,” Sungmin cried as he ran a hand through Kyuhyun’s hair and down his face.

          “I don’t want to Minnie, I begged my parents not to take the job, they know how much you matter to me,” Kyuhyun replied as his voice cracked and tears slid down his face.

          “I’ll go with you,” Sungmin suggested.

          “No Minnie, you have to stay here,” Kyuhyun rejected as he ran his hands up and down his boyfriend’s back. “You need to stay here with your family.”

          “I don’t wanna lose you Kyuhyun, I love you,” Sungmin cried as he pressed his face against Kyuhyun’s neck.

          “I love you too Sungmin, and I will love you even while I’m away,” Kyuhyun promised.

          “How long are you gonna be gone?” Sungmin wondered as Kyuhyun his face gently.

          “I’m leaving the week after spring break, and I don’t know how long I’ll be gone; for now it’s indefinite,” Kyuhyun explained.

          “You’ll be gone forever,” Sungmin sobbed as he held his boyfriend in his arms.

          “No Sungmin, I won’t be gone forever. The first chance I get to come back to you I will. I promise,” Kyuhyun whispered as he held Sungmin’s face and kissed his lips. “I don’t wanna be separated from you any longer than I have to be. But we have a couple of months until I leave, and every minute will be spent with you.”

          “Just stay with me, live with me here. Leeteuk and Kangin will let you, they let Eunhyuk stay,” Sungmin reminded.

          “I’m not going to be a burden to your parents,” Kyuhyun denied.

          “Kyuhyun please don’t leave, I need you,” Sungmin pleaded as his boyfriend nudged their faces together.

          Placing a kiss gently on Sungmin’s lips, Kyuhyun muttered “I need you too; you’ve been the best thing that’s ever happened to me.”

          “Does this mean that in a couple months you won’t be my boyfriend anymore?” Sungmin wondered.

          “No Minnie, I’ll still be in a relationship with you. We’ll just have to have a long distance relationship, we can text, call each other, video chat, whatever it takes, I will stay in touch with you,” Kyuhyun promised.

          Sungmin’s eyes managed to squeeze out a few more tears as he whispered “Will you lay here with me for a little while?”

          “Yes Minnie, I’ll stay with you for however long you want,” Kyuhyun complied as he pulled his boyfriend closer and kissed his blonde hair.

          “Then stay with me forever,” Sungmin requested as he pressed his head against Kyuhyun’s chest and closed his eyes.

          After Sungmin had fallen asleep, and Kyuhyun was sure he was asleep, the dark haired teen leaned his head against Sungmin’s and began to cry silently. He dreaded leaving the one person he loved more than anything in the world, and hated not having control of the situation. Kyuhyun promised himself quietly that he would make sure that he made these last few months with Sungmin memorable.