Chapter 47

After a Minute

          Summer break was coming to a close soon, and the boys wanted to do one last big thing before they started their senior year. “So what do you guys wanna do?” Donghae asked the others while they all watched a movie in the living room together.

          “I’ve always wanted to try camping,” Hankyung stated.

          “And why the hell would you wanna try that?” Heechul inquired as he looked up at his boyfriend.

          “ that, I’m not spending the night in some woods somewhere,” Kyuhyun replied. “You know the kind of they got out there?”

          “Now Kyuhyun, be nice,” Sungmin quietly scolded as he rubbed his fiancé’s arm.

          “What, what do they have out there?” Ryeowook wondered.

          “Oh nothing, just bears, wolves, deer, spiders, snakes,” Kyuhyun remarked.

          “Oh my,” Ryeowook muttered as he hid behind Yesung and shook.

          “Kyuhyun, don’t scare Ryeowook, this might be a good experience for all of us, I mean we hardly ever do anything outside anymore,” Donghae said.

          “That’s because all the fun stuff is inside behind closed doors,” Eunhyuk replied as he slid an arm around Donghae’s waist.

          The brunette grinned before adding “I think Hankyung’s got a good idea, we should try it once just to say we did it.”

          “Donghae, you do realize we are going to have to sleep on dirt right?” Heechul reminded.

          “Dirt? I can’t sleep on dirt, it’s gross and has bugs and little creatures all in it that will crawl over me in my sleep,” Ryeowook frantically said as he gripped his head.

          “Like this?” Yesung playfully joked as he tickled Ryeowook’s sides with his fingers.

          “Stop, stop,” Ryeowook giggled, pushing his boyfriend’s hands away.

          “We can take tents and sleeping bags to sleep in, it’ll be fun,” Donghae encouraged.

          “What do you think Minnie, wanna go?” Kyuhyun asked as he looked at Sungmin.

          “Okay, but please don’t let anything scary eat me,” Sungmin requested.

          “Don’t worry love, I won’t anything happen to you,” Kyuhyun promised.

          “Great, let’s go ask our parents guys,” Donghae said as he, Heechul, Sungmin, and Yesung stood up and walked into the kitchen.

          “Kangin, Leeteuk,” Sungmin called as the four entered the room.

          “Yes, what is it boys?” Kangin asked as he and Leeteuk looked up.

          “Can we go camping with our boyfriends this weekend?” Donghae requested.

          “Camping?” Kangin repeated.

          “Yeah, we wanna try it,” Yesung added.

          “Okay, will you boys be okay going by yourselves?” Leeteuk wondered.

          “Oh yeah, we’ll be fine,” Heechul promised.

          “Very well, you guys can go camping, just take enough stuff to keep safe with,” Kangin replied.

          “Awesome, thanks you guys,” Donghae said before the four ran back into the living room.

          Kangin turned to Leeteuk. “Honey, do you not wanna go with them?”

          “No, you know I don’t like the outdoors with all the bugs and stuff, plus we can have some much needed alone time with the house all to ourselves,” Leeteuk reminded as he smiled at his husband. Kangin laughed quietly before placing a kiss on Leeteuk’s lips.

          That Friday, the eight boys borrowed Leeteuk’s car and packed their overnight bags in the trunk before heading out towards a forest that lie a few hours outside of Seoul. When they arrived at the camp site, the group took their stuff and trekked towards an appropriate camping spot. While they walked around, Heechul kept swatting at flies and gnats that landed on him, muttering under his breath “ing bugs every god damn place you turn.”

          “There’s a place over there near the lake, let’s camp there,” Donghae suggested as he pointed to the distance.

          So the boys began to set up their tents in a circle around a small fire pit that had been made by previous campers. As Yesung laid out his sleeping bag, he noticed what Ryeowook was doing. “Ryeowook, did you seriously bring your makeup?” he questioned.

          “Yes, just because we’re in the woods doesn’t mean I can’t look pretty,” Ryeowook replied as he dabbed some more powder against his face with a brush.

          Yesung took the brush from his boyfriend before kissing his lips. “I told you that you look pretty enough without that stuff,” he reminded.

          Ryeowook smiled before taking back the brush and saying “Well thank you, but you will never fully see me without makeup on, it’s way too embarrassing.”

          Yesung touched Ryeowook’s back and whispered “It wouldn’t make me love you any less though.”

          After everything was set up, Donghae suggested that they all go swimming in the lake, so they did, well everyone except Ryeowook and Sungmin. “C’mon guys, what are you waiting for?” Eunhyuk asked from inside the lake.

          “The water looks unsanitary,” Ryeowook responded after sticking his foot in and pulling it back out quickly.

          “Yeah it could have a lot of germs in it,” Sungmin agreed. 

          “Minnie, would you stop worrying and get in?” Kyuhyun asked as he placed his hands on his hips.

          “Ryeowook, Sungmin, if you guys really don’t wanna swim, you could go look for some sticks we could use as firewood,” Donghae suggested.

          “You mean go in the woods by ourselves?” Ryeowook questioned worriedly as he looked over at the tall, thick woods.

          “You’ll be fine, it’s still daylight,” Yesung replied.

          “Kyuhyun?” Sungmin asked as he looked at his fiancé with concern.

          “Honey go ahead and go with Ryeowook, nothing will get you,” Kyuhyun promised.

          “C’mon Ryeowook,” Sungmin muttered as he took his friend’s hand and headed into the woods slowly together.

          “Are you sure those two will be okay by themselves?” Hankyung asked the others after Ryeowook and Sungmin were out of earshot.

          “They’ll be okay as long as they don’t see anything that scares them,” Kyuhyun replied.

          “Well then we better go after them, Ryeowook gets scared of his own shadow sometimes,” Yesung suggested.

          “They’ll be fine, they’ll probably just find some sticks and bring them back quickly,” Donghae said.

          Ryeowook and Sungmin soon returned to the campsite holding a load of sticks in both arms. “Guys, we got wood for a fire,” Sungmin stated as Ryeowook dropped his load of sticks into the fire pit.

          “Great, we’ll get a fire started and then we’ll eat,” Donghae replied as the boys headed out of the water and into their tents.

          “Kyuhyun, what’s that on your shoulder?” Sungmin asked, pointing to his fiancé’s shoulder.

          Kyuhyun craned his neck and saw a little black thing stuck to his shoulder. He pulled it off and examined it. “It’s a leech,” Kyuhyun stated before tossing it out of the tent.

          Sungmin touched at the red mark that now rested on Kyuhyun’s shoulder. “Does it hurt?” he wondered.

          “No, not really,” Kyuhyun responded before feeling Sungmin gently press his lips against the red mark. “However, that makes it feel a lot better.” Kyuhyun turned and began to kiss Sungmin as the blonde slipped a t-shirt on over his fiancé’s head.

          The boys headed outside their tents and started a fire with the sticks and matches they’d gotten. “What do we have to eat?” Hankyung wondered.

          “I brought marshmallows,” Eunhyuk exclaimed as he held up a bag.

          “Is that all you brought?” Heechul asked.

          “No of course not, I brought chocolate and graham crackers too,” Eunhyuk responded as he pulled the snacks out of his backpack.

          “We could make s’mores,” Sungmin suggested.

          They began to pass around the bag of marshmallows. “Seriously, is this all we have to eat?” Heechul muttered he watched Hankyung take the bag and pull out some of the marshmallows.

          “Well we could always go catch some fish and cook it up,” Donghae suggested.

          Heechul remained quiet for a moment before saying “Gimme the marshmallows.”

          “Oh cheer up babe, marshmallows are really good,” Hankyung said as he placed a hand on the back of Heechul’s neck.

          “Yeah, I know, but I can’t just eat a bunch of sweet stuff, it makes my stomach hurt,” Heechul replied before smacking his hand against his neck. “These ing flies are everywhere.”

          The boys heard a rustling sound coming from behind them, causing Sungmin and Ryeowook to jump. “What was that?” Ryeowook asked. “Something moved over there.” The eight sat still and waited to see what was making the sound. Soon, a little squirrel scampered across the forest and up a tree.

          “A squirrel, you were scared of a squirrel?” Kyuhyun demanded.

          “It could’ve bitten my face,” Ryeowook muttered before Yesung wrapped an arm around his boyfriend.

          “Yeah Kyuhyun, squirrels carry rabies,” Sungmin reminded.

          After the sun set, Heechul requested “I think this is the perfect time for me to tell a scary story.”

          “That sounds awesome,” Donghae agreed.

          “How scary?” Ryeowook asked as he took Yesung’s hand.

          “Scary enough to make you piss yourself,” Heechul devilishly remarked with a grin.

          “Oh my,” Ryeowook shuddered, pressing his face against Yesung’s shoulder.

          “Heechul,” Hankyung scolded before turning back to Ryeowook. “Don’t worry Ryeowook; I won’t let him scare you too badly.”

          As Heechul told his story, Ryeowook and Sungmin held onto their partners and shook violently. “And they say on nights like this, when the moon is out, and you’re sitting around a brightly lit fire like this one –” Heechul stopped and looked up. “Wait, do you guys hear that?”

          “What, what is it?” Sungmin muttered.

          Suddenly, Donghae and Eunhyuk jumped up from behind Sungmin and Ryeowook and screamed, causing Ryeowook and Sungmin to yell in fear. Ryeowook jumped into Yesung’s arms, while Sungmin got as close to Kyuhyun as he could. “That’s not funny you guys,” Ryeowook replied as Donghae, Eunhyuk, and Heechul laughed.

          “Yeah, you know we already don’t like being out here at night,” Sungmin added.

          “We’re sorry you two, we were just messing around,” Eunhyuk responded as he ruffled Sungmin and Ryeowook’s hair.

          “C’mon, let’s turn in for the night, it’s getting late anyway,” Donghae suggested before the couples headed into their respective tents.

          As Ryeowook slipped off his shirt to slide on a tank top, Yesung noticed something. “Um, Ryeowook, I think you got a bug on you,” he stated.

          “What, get it off, get it off,” Ryeowook cried as he began to pant.

          “Okay, just sit still,” Yesung said. He walked over and picked up the bug that was resting on his boyfriend before showing it to the brunette. “See, it’s just a little ladybug. It’s not going to hurt you.” Yesung threw the bug outside before zipping up the tent. The dark haired teen pulled Ryeowook closer and placed a kiss on the side of his neck gently. “I’m proud of you for coming out here with us.”

          “Thank you, normally I would never be in a situation like this. I don’t like being outdoors and being around things that crawl and bite,” Ryeowook muttered.

          Yesung softly bit into Ryeowook’s neck playfully before saying “I bite and you like being around me.”

          Ryeowook giggled before whispering “That’s because you’re my boyfriend and you take care of me.” The two then lay down in their sleeping bags and snuggled close to one another. “Are you sure we’ll be okay tonight?”

          “Yes, I won’t let anything get you Ryeowook,” Yesung promised.

          Inside Heechul and Hankyung’s tent, Heechul lie down on his sleeping bag and felt Hankyung wrap an arm around him before placing a kiss on his shoulder. “Are you happy you came?” Hankyung asked.

          “This really isn’t my thing, but I’ll do anything make you happy,” Heechul replied, running a hand over his boyfriend’s face.

          “I’m sorry you’re not having fun,” Hankyung apologized as the climbed into their sleeping bags.

          “When I’m with you, I always have fun,” Heechul whispered before placing a kiss on Hankyung’s lips.

          Over in Kyuhyun and Sungmin’s tent, Sungmin sat on top of his sleeping bag with his knees to his chest and looked at the entrance of the tent. “Minnie, are you okay?” Kyuhyun asked as he sat down next to Sungmin.

          “I’m just still paranoid about Heechul’s story; it really scared me,” Sungmin muttered.

          Kyuhyun pulled him closer and kissed his fiancé. “Baby, I’m not going to let anything hurt you. Don’t let some little story scare you; I’m going to be right beside you all night long,” Kyuhyun reminded as he ran his fingers up and down Sungmin’s back.

          “You promise?” Sungmin whispered.

          Smiling, Kyuhyun kissed Sungmin sweetly and echoed “I promise.” The two climbed into their sleeping bags and moved as close to one another as they could.

          Meanwhile, in Donghae and Eunhyuk’s tent, the two began to kiss one another as Eunhyuk lie Donghae down on their sleeping bags. “Eunhyuk, wait,” Donghae panted as his boyfriend began to kiss his neck.

          “What, what is it?” Eunhyuk asked.

          “We can’t do this with the others less than ten feet from us,” Donghae whispered.

          “What do you suggest we do?” Eunhyuk wondered.

          “Let’s take our tent somewhere else,” Donghae suggested.

          The two got up and walked out of their tent. They picked up each end of the tent and took in farther into the woods. Once they built themselves a small little fire to ward off potential predators, Donghae and Eunhyuk climbed back inside their tent, zipped it up, and began to strip one another. “This is much better,” Eunhyuk said as he kissed Donghae’s mouth and felt his boyfriend place his hands on his waist.

          “I agree,” Donghae gasped as they paused for a breath.

          Back at the campsite, the group had fallen asleep, and the fire was beginning to fade slowly. From up in a nearby tree, a screech owl shrieked “Hoot!”

          Suddenly, Kyuhyun shot up and demanded “What the was that?”

          “Kyuhyun, what did you hear?” Sungmin whispered as he looked up at his fiancé.

          Lying back down, Kyuhyun replied “Nothing, it was nothing Minnie, probably just a bad dream.” He kissed Sungmin again before closing his eyes.

          Outside in the tree, the screech owl shrieked again “Hoot!”

          Kyuhyun sat up quickly again. “Okay now I know I ing heard something,” he stated before slipping on his shoes and hurrying outside.

          “Kyuhyun?” Sungmin sleepily asked before following Kyuhyun outside.

          The couple watched Heechul, Hankyung, Yesung, and Ryeowook join them. “Guys, where’d Donghae and Eunhyuk go?” Sungmin asked. “Their tent is gone.”

          “They must’ve gone off on their own,” Hankyung figured.

          “Or they got taken by animals,” Ryeowook suggested as he hid behind Yesung.

          “We’ll go out there and look for them if you want,” Yesung said.

          “The if I’m going out there in the night,” Heechul responded.

          “C’mon, I’ll go with you,” Hankyung replied.

          “Okay, Hankyung, Heechul, Yesung, and I will go out and look for Donghae and Eunhyuk. Sungmin, you and Ryeowook stay here at the campsite in case they come back,” Kyuhyun stated as he grabbed a flashlight from inside his tent.

          “You want us to stay in the dark by ourselves, are you crazy?” Sungmin asked.

          Kyuhyun kissed Sungmin’s lips before muttering “You’re brave Minnie, I know you’ll be okay. Just add some more sticks to the fire and it’ll keep you safe.”

          Yesung kissed Ryeowook and said “We’ll be back soon, don’t worry. If you guys get scared, just get inside a tent.”

          “Please hurry back,” Ryeowook whispered before watching the four walk into the woods.

          “Okay, let’s just find them and get back to the campsite, they couldn’t have gone far,” Hankyung informed.

          “Yeah, they better not, I’m not walking through the ing woods all night,” Heechul responded.

          Suddenly, the boys heard a loud moan coming from the distance. “What the ?” Kyuhyun asked.

          “That sounded like Donghae,” Yesung stated.

          The four rushed towards the sound and shined their flashlights on the tent. “Donghae, Eunhyuk, are you guys okay?” Hankyung called.

          “Yeah guys, we’re fine, just needed some privacy,” Donghae panted from inside.

          “Oh my god, you guys better not be in there,” Heechul replied.

          “Of course not, we’re wearing socks,” Eunhyuk informed.

          “That’s all I need to know,” Heechul said before taking Hankyung’s hand. “C’mon, let’s head back.”

          “You guys coming with us?” Kyuhyun asked Donghae and Eunhyuk.

          “We’ll be there soon,” Donghae promised.

          The boys headed back to the campsite and found Sungmin and Ryeowook inside a tent. “What happened?” Yesung questioned as they looked at the two.

          “We heard a very loud and angry bird,” Ryeowook explained.

          “A screech owl probably,” Hankyung suggested.

          “C’mon baby, let’s go back to our tent,” Kyuhyun said as he took Sungmin back to their tent. The couples went back to sleep, and within the hour, Donghae and Eunhyuk had brought back their tent to the campsite and finally decided to get some sleep.

          The next morning, the group awoke to find it raining hard outside. “C’mon guys, we gotta call it an early weekend, this rain is gonna make the lake rise and wash over our campsite,” Donghae instructed as they packed up their tents quickly.

          “ this weather,” Heechul grumbled under his breath as they hurried to the car.

          Back at home, Leeteuk and Kangin were lying in their bed, listening to the rain fall outside. “I wonder if the boys are doing okay,” Leeteuk muttered.

          Kangin slowly raked his fingertips up Leeteuk’s stomach and chest before replying “I’m sure they’re fine, they’re smart.” He leaned down and pressed a kiss against Leeteuk’s torso.

          Leeteuk laughed quietly as he a hand through Kangin’s hair. “I love you,” he whispered.

          “I love you too baby,” Kangin echoed, kissing Leeteuk’s lips again, and resting their foreheads together.

          All of a sudden, the parents heard the front door barge open, and Heechul yell “Never again will I be put through that bull!”

          “Okay, so maybe it wasn’t the best idea to go when there was a chance of rain,” Donghae figured.

          “Ya think?” Heechul sarcastically replied.

          Kangin and Leeteuk put on some clothes and walked downstairs. “You boys are home early,” Leeteuk said as he fixed his hair.

          “We forgot to check the weather,” Eunhyuk informed.

          “Well this has all been fun, but I’m going upstairs,” Heechul grumbled before walking upstairs, with Hankyung following close behind.

          Once they were up in Heechul’s bedroom and had the door shut, Hankyung dropped their bags and hugged Heechul’s waist, whispering “You seem very tired, why don’t we take a nap? It’s a rainy, dark Saturday, the perfect excuse.” Heechul grinned before they kicked off their shoes, changed into some dry clothes, and climbed into bed.

          The other couples followed Heechul and Hankyung’s lead and went upstairs into their own bedrooms to take naps, since no one had slept good the night before. Yesung noticed that Ryeowook was groaning as he touched his back. “You okay?” Yesung asked.

          “I think I slept on a rock, my back hurts,” Ryeowook complained.

          Yesung gently squeezed at Ryeowook’s back and heard his boyfriend groan. “Here, lay down on the bed, I’ll rub your back for you,” Yesung said. Ryeowook did as he was told and lay down on his stomach on Yesung’s bed. The dark haired teen rolled up Ryeowook’s shirt and gently massaged at his back. “How does that feel?”

          “Really good,” Ryeowook moaned as he closed his eyes. “I wanna take a nap.”

          “Go ahead, I’ll keep rubbing your back,” Yesung promised.

          “I love you Yesung,” Ryeowook whispered as he fell asleep.

          Yesung bent his head and kissed his boyfriend’s cheek as he continued to rub his hands gently over his back. “I love you too Ryeowook.”