Chapter 59

After a Minute

          A few hours later, Kyuhyun was wheeled back into the room by a nurse, followed by Kyuhyun’s doctor. “How was the operation?” Leeteuk wondered.

          “Kyuhyun is expected to make a full recovery; everything went very smoothly. The anesthesia we gave him should wear off soon and he should wake up able to breathe and speak comfortably,” the doctor informed.

          “He’ll be okay now, right?” Sungmin asked as he sat down in a chair next to Kyuhyun’s bed.

          “Yes, he’ll be just fine. It’ll take some time for all of his scars to heal properly, and he shouldn’t lift anything heavy for at least three weeks so his ribs can have time to rebuild their strength without straining,” the doctor explained. “I’ll leave him to rest now.”

          After the doctor left, Leeteuk said “I’m gonna go see if I can find Kyuhyun’s parents. I’ll be right back.”

          Sungmin looked down at Kyuhyun and ran a hand through his hair before leaning his head down to press his forehead against Kyuhyun’s. The blonde felt a hand rest on his face and opened his eyes to see Kyuhyun looking at him. “Kyuhyun,” Sungmin whispered as his fiancé his thumb across his cheek.

          “Sungmin,” Kyuhyun muttered before pulling Sungmin closer, kissing his lips gently.

          “Your doctor said that you are going to make a full recovery, but you’ll be sore for a little while,” Sungmin informed.

          “When will I get to come home?” Kyuhyun wondered.

          “About a week,” Sungmin said. “But I’ll be at home making sure everything is ready for you when you get released.”

          “Thanks baby,” Kyuhyun replied before Sungmin kissed him again.

          While Kyuhyun was in recovery for the next week, his friends, parents, and fiancé visited him every day to make sure he was alright. Finally it was time for Kyuhyun to get to go home. His mother wanted him to rest at home, but Kyuhyun’s father said that he would be more comfortable resting at Kangin and Leeteuk’s where he could be with Sungmin, so of course Kyuhyun opted to go home with his fiancé.

          Sungmin helped Kyuhyun walk up the stairs to their room and sit down on the bed. “It feels really good to be home,” Kyuhyun sighed as he looked around at the familiar surroundings.

          Gently, Sungmin hugged Kyuhyun around his torso, leaning his face against the dark haired Korean’s shoulder blades. “It’s felt really lonely here without you,” Sungmin muttered. He reached up and pressed a light kiss against the burn mark that was still on Kyuhyun’s neck.

          Kyuhyun winced a little at Sungmin’s lips against his wound, and stood up suddenly. “I’m gonna go take a shower,” he informed.

          “Are you alright?” Sungmin wondered, curious as to why Kyuhyun had moved away from him so quickly.

          “I’m fine Minnie, just want to shower off before I go to sleep,” Kyuhyun said, not even bothering to look over at Sungmin. After his fiancé left the room, Sungmin lie down on their bed under the comforter and waited for Kyuhyun to return.

          The dark haired Korean locked himself in the bathroom and stripped himself before stepping into the shower and feeling the hot water flow down his body. The warm water stung his wounds, but Kyuhyun knew he had to wash himself so as to not get his wounds infected. After getting out and drying himself off, Kyuhyun looked down at the scars that had formed on his torso. Kyuhyun felt tears slip out from between his eyelids as he gazed at his damaged body. He turned and looked at his back in the mirror, noticing the large burn mark on his left shoulder blade, scar on his left side, and the numerous bruises that still plagued him. On his torso was a giant surgical scar that started from the top of his right shoulder and ended on left side of his waist. His once flawless body now had these disgusting, possible permanent marks on it, and the last thing Kyuhyun wanted was for Sungmin to see him like this.

          Kyuhyun slipped on his clothes and reentered the bedroom, lying down in his spot as usual and reaching over to turn off the light before laying there looking at the ceiling. He felt Sungmin try to snuggle closer to him, and regretfully pushed him away. “No Minnie, not tonight,” Kyuhyun muttered.

          “I didn’t want to have relations tonight, I just wanted to sleep close to you,” Sungmin replied.

          “Not tonight Sungmin, I want a little space tonight,” Kyuhyun responded as he turned and faced the wall, tears discreetly falling out of the corners of his eyes.

          Sungmin figured his fiancé was still probably feeling sore, so he whispered “Okay Kyuhyun.”

          The dark haired Korean felt Sungmin turn and face away from him. After lying there silently for what felt like an hour, Kyuhyun swallowed and muttered into his pillow “I’m sorry Minnie.” He sat up and faced the sleeping blonde, gently placing a kiss on Sungmin’s shoulder before hugging him lightly. “I love you.”

          Over the next few weeks, Kyuhyun continued to recover, finally able to go back to school and catch up on all of the work he’d missed while he was in the hospital. Everything was starting to go back to normality, well almost everything. Kyuhyun hadn’t become intimate in anyway with Sungmin ever since he’d been released from the hospital. He hadn’t even taken off his shirt at night when they were in bed. Sungmin was starting to notice his fiancé’s strange behavior, and was wondering why Kyuhyun hadn’t touched him or let Sungmin touch him in over a month. “Kyuhyun, is everything alright?” Sungmin asked one night as they were preparing for bed.

          “Yeah, why do you ask?” Kyuhyun inquired.

          “We haven’t been intimate in like a month, and it’s gotten to where you won’t even let me hug you that much anymore. Have I done something to make you upset?” Sungmin questioned.

          “No Minnie of course not, you could never upset me,” Kyuhyun replied.

          “Then what is it? You won’t let me cuddle with you at night, you sleep with your shirt on all the time now; you never used to do that. You just act like I’m despicable to be around, and it hurts to think that your fiancé doesn’t to love you,” Sungmin responded.

          “Sungmin you know I love you, you know I love you more than anything in the world,” Kyuhyun reminded.

          “Then what is it Kyuhyun?” Sungmin repeated.

          The dark haired Korean sighed before muttering “I don’t want you to see my body anymore; it’s disgusting to look at. It used to be beautiful and almost flawless, now it’s horrible to look at. I just didn’t want you to see me like that until the scars had faded some. I didn’t want you to see me as any less of the guy you fell in love with.”

          Sungmin turned Kyuhyun to face him and kissed his lips gently before slowly placing his hands on the bottom of Kyuhyun’s t-shirt. The blonde began to run his fingers up Kyuhyun’s stomach, pulling the shirt up, before Kyuhyun quickly grabbed his wrists and stopped him. Sungmin looked up in Kyuhyun’s eyes and whispered “Please, let me do this.” Kyuhyun gently released Sungmin’s wrists and allowed his fiancé to pull his shirt up off his torso. Sungmin gazed at his fiancé’s body, looking at every wound he had sustained in the accident. Slowly, Sungmin dragged his fingertips down the surgical scar on Kyuhyun’s torso, feeling his fiancé tremble lightly. Sungmin nudged his face against Kyuhyun’s and kissed his lips once more before whispering “These don’t make me love you any less.” The blonde bent his head and began to kiss along the wound gently before moving to kiss Kyuhyun’s other ailments.

          Kyuhyun slid his hands around Sungmin’s waist and pulled him closer to remove his own t-shirt. The dark haired Korean attached his mouth to the side of Sungmin’s neck and began to kiss and at the skin. Sungmin gasped and closed his eyes as he leaned his head more to the side, exposing even more skin for his fiancé to kiss. Kyuhyun lay Sungmin down on the bed as he started kissing down the blonde’s torso, feeling Sungmin rake his fingertips up his back, lightly rubbing his spine. Returning his lips to Sungmin’s, Kyuhyun slid his hands up to Sungmin’s face, his thumbs across his cheeks lovingly. “I love you,” he whispered as he took a breath.

          “I love you too,” Sungmin echoed, slipping his fingers up Kyuhyun’s torso to wrap his arms around his fiancé’s neck.

          Kyuhyun moved to lay down next to Sungmin before pulling him close, letting Sungmin rest his head on his shoulder as he draped an arm over Kyuhyun’s chest. The two lay there in silence as Kyuhyun grazed his fingers gently over Sungmin’s shoulder, and Sungmin brushed his hand down Kyuhyun’s surgical scar once more. The blonde kissed his fiancé’s chest before leaning up to kiss his lips. “I love you Minnie,” Kyuhyun repeated, interlacing their fingers together before kissing the back of Sungmin’s hand.

          “I love you too Kyuhyun,” Sungmin responded as they pressed their foreheads together and fell asleep in one another’s arms.