TWO: TAKING A BREATHER

Under the Cherry Blossom

 

"Beloved students of Songin High, a new semester represents a new beginning and a new hope, let us all nurture with the help of our wonderful teachers and seniors, let us all score good results to repay our parents, and to improve our school!"

She used a low and elegant tone to deliver a speech that seemed to be intended to praise the school and teachers.

Jessica was wearing the school's blazer coupled with a white skirt. Her figure made the dull and boring uniform give off a new positive vibe. At the corner of her lips was still the same old smile that provided warmth to everyone. Under the watchful eyes of her fans and the passionate applause of the student body, Jessica elegantly walked down the stage, although what she really wanted to do now was to punch the person who wrote the script.
 
"President! Your speech was daebak!" One of the student council member, Nana said. She didn't realize that she was about to push herself down a cliff when she proudly caught up with her idol's steps and exclaimed, "The thought of my script being recited by you in front of the whole school makes me so excited that I don't know what to do!" The teen said with her flushed face and glistening eyes, waiting for her idol president to compliment her.

"Please read for thirty minutes after you're done with your work from today onwards. You can start with Shakespeare's collection." Jessica said while passing her the keys in her pockets. "It's at the top of my locker. Improve your language foundation." Her logical skills had to be improved as well.

She clearly said that she only wanted to emphasize on the school's education system, who would have known that Nana had literally written an entire bootlicking script? If not for her experience,  she wouldn't be able to change some of the sentences and improvise on the spot. Or else, the rest of the student body would also faint in disgust besides herself. As the Student Council President, it was also compulsory to sacrifice Nana's time in order for the student body to be healthy.

Nana held on to the keys and stood still, still dazed. She looked at her idol who was leaving, and temporarily got rid of her blank state of mind. Did she not meet Jessica's standards? She tried her very best, and the teachers gave it a green light as well. She was definitely worth to become president, her expectations were indeed different from others!

The junior's passion towards her idol was reignited.

Jessica massaged her forehead that was slightly in pain. She walked to a bench and sneakily took a short break. On the first day of school, anyone who needed her, basically from students to teachers, would come running for her help. She was so busy - that was why she handed the job of writing the script to Nana; why she didn't even look at the script before sending it to teachers for review, why she didn't notice the teacher blushing and giggling and why 
she delivered a speech that made her teeth sour.

If being the president wouldn't benefit her future, she would definitely steer away from trouble. Having results that were in the top three wasn't what she wanted, she just needed better results to enhance her portfolio. She had already planned out her route: Transfer into an elite school, attain a scholarship for university, graduate and enter multi national companies, and lastly, earn a lot of money to reduce her parents' financial burden.

But all she wanted to do now was to take a short rest because she still had loads of things to do later…

"President Jung, so you were here! Byun Seonsaengnim wants to know when you'll pass the evaluation report to him." The person shouted from afar. Apparently, God didn't listen to her silent prayer.

"I'll give it to him now." She smiled bitterly and returned to work.

Lunch break was probably the only time for Jessica to rest and she decided to have lunch at a peaceful place. While walking out of the classroom, a person rushed inside and banged into her, she almost flew out. 

"Seohyun? What's so urgent?" Jessica raised her eyebrows and looked at the girl that fell down.

"Ah! I am so lucky to see you!" The person called Seohyun immediately stood up and grabbed her hand.

"Another one... Sigh at least my lunch's still here." She thought. If it wasn't for her quick reflexes, the lunch in her hands would have been given to the ground. But she still asked the girl that was sweating profusely, "What happened?"

Seohyun looked around the class before asking her, "Have you seen Kris Wu?" 

"Kris?" Jessica tilted her head to think. It was a familiar name, but she couldn't figure out who it was.

"Yeah. Seonsaengnim wants me to collect the holiday homework, but I've been looking ups and downs and I still couldn't find that guy." Seohyun said with an angry face. Who would be happy to look for a person everywhere under this hot scorching weather?

Jessica then finally remembered who Kris was. It was funny now that she thought about it because even though they were in the same class, she only recognized the face of all the guys in her class, nothing more than that. If she remembered correctly, Kris was the one sitting at the back, wearing his nerdy black framed glasses, having a long fringe. Her impression of him was probably an average normal person. If possible, she also wanted to have that ability.

"Mianhe I didn't see him, I will tell him about it if I see him later."

Seohyun was so touched that she gave Jessica a hug. "You're indeed President Jung whom everybody looks up to. Thanks!"

Jessica smiled and she avoided everyone in order to have a peaceful lunch. As for Kris, she didn't think that she would meet a guy with such a small existence.

Under the Cherry blossom forest, not only can people take shelter from the scorching weather and feel the gentle breeze, they could also avoid people since people hardly visit the forest. This was Jessica's favorite place in the compound. She leaned against the big Cherry Blossom tree, and felt that the sandwich in her hand was also influenced by the fragrance: it looked and smelled so delicious. 

After her lunch, Jessica wanted to get rid of the crumbs on her uniform and leave. However, she saw half a body poking out from a nearby tree trunk and it caught her attention. Who knew that there will be still be here? But lunch break was almost over and she felt the need to remind the person.

"Excuse…" Jessica walked over and wanted to be a good person by reminding that Lunch break was almost over. But the scene in front of her made her swallow the word "me".

It was a boy.

To be more exact, it was a boy in deep sleep. It was the first time Jessica had seen such a baby-like expression.

The person leaning onto the tree was holding on to his spectacles, immersed in his sweet dream. His long eyelashes would move once in a while and he failed to notice that every action of his was being seen by somebody else. Some of his buttons were loose, and it revealed the smooth and fair skin. It wasn't the sickly pale type, it was the type that tempted people to feel it.

There were pink petals on him and the gap between the leaves had resulted in some sunlight shining at him. It was like there was a layer of shimmer around him, he looked like an angel that was resting, giving off a glow that made it hard for people to breathe.