THE BET (2)

Under the Cherry Blossom

At the very same moment, Jessica was carrying a fresh bouquet of carnations while walking on the route to Songlin Hospital. Her heart also became heavier with every step she took.

 
Although she wasn't sure if she had made the right decision to visit the hospital, Jessica knew that it was the only method to solve the whole mess. As long as she was determined, she would stick to the end. She always knew from the start that doing this  was a risky bet. It was either securing half of Kris's heart or working hard to gain his heart completely. She knew what choice she had to make. She wanted a Kris that fully belonged to her and even if it means risking losing him, she would never regret her actions.  
 
Jessica had been using her commendable conversational skills to get hold of Gayeon's ward number from the nurses previously and there she was, standing in front of A82, ward 6 bed 9. She took a deep breath and knocked on the door.
 
The door was answered by the same man she saw previously. 
 
"Miss Jung? The nurses told me you were coming. Please, come in."
 
Jessica nodded and entered the ward.
 
Gayeon was lying on the bed, in deep sleep, just that her face was as pale as the white bed sheet. 
 
She was indeed true beauty. She looked beautiful even when she had fallen sick. Jessica passed the bouquet to the man, " I'm not sure which flowers to get, so hopefully she likes carnations."
 
"Thank you for the well wishes," the man placed it in a display vase, "I forgot to introduce myself, call me Lee Sang."
 
Lee? Jessica had an epiphany, and what the man continued to say proved her guesses correct.
 
"I'm her cousin."

Initially, there were many questions Jessica had wanted to ask, but she didn't know where to start. Thankfully, Lee Sang was the first one to speak out again.
 
"I didn't know Gayeon was still seeing him. I really got a shock when I saw him that day," he smiled and said.
 
"When have you seen him
before?" Jessica asked. 
When Kris denied to know him, Jessica had believed him. However, the circumstances now seems to prove that they knew each other. Furthermore, Kris has always been treating him as a love rival, so it seems that Kris still had no clue about Gayeon and Leesang's relationship.
 
Lee Sang bitterly smiled, "We only met once, but it wasn't a exactly a happy meeting," he paused and shifted his gaze to Gayeon, "May I know what's the relationship between you two? Why do you want to know all these?"
 
Jessica smiled slightly, "We're dating. The thing is, I know that he's still holding on to the past, well, at least a part of him is holding on to the past. After meeting Gayeon, I realised things between them may not be so simple after all. I understand that in order to resolve this misunderstanding and allow him to move on, I just had to come over and find the truth."
 
Lee Sang had his mouth wide open as if refusing to believe what he had just heard, "If you know the truth, are you going to tell him?"
 
"Yes, I will," Jessica was sure of it, but she was the only one who knew that this decision made her so dejected and dull.
 
"You know that they were separated in a tragic way, yet you still want find the answer and tell him the truth?" Lee Sang still couldn't believe what he was hearing, "Have you ever thought what would happen if the misunderstanding was resolved and there was nothing keeping them apart anymore? Do you not care?" 
 
Jessica shook her head, "I'm doing this because I do care. I'm a greedy person, I don't want a Kris who's still stuck in the past."
 
Lee Sang was shocked, but it turned into an admirable expression. He always thought that high school girls like Jessica were immature until Jessica proved him wrong. She was smart, she knew exactly what it meant to win over a person's heart completely.
 
"I understand, I will tell you everything." Lee Sang took a sip of water before going into details.
 
"Two years ago, Gayeon suddenly contacted me and asked me for a favour. It was also at that exact moment when I found out that she was dating someone younger than her." 
 
"She pleaded me to act as her boyfriend as an attempt to break up with him. When she knew that he was going to be passing by that route, she purposely held hands with me for him to witness it. As expected, he did witness it and demanded Gayeon for an explanation. I could see that the boy liked Gayeon a lot, but Gayeon's words were too harsh on him that it ended up hurting him badly. Initially, j thought that she did it because she didn't want to be with him anymore.
However, when I realise that she became sadder each day without him, I knew there was more to the story.
 
Jessica couldn't help but to ask, "Why break up?"
 
Lee Sang sighed, "I only knew the reason afterwards. Gayeon's family line, her mother's family line to be specific, has a hereditary heart disease. Her mother passed away due to that, and her brother was also diagnosed to have that illness."
 
Jessica remembered what Luhan had told him. Kris once used his family funds to treat Gayeon's brother. Then her face turned pale, "Is she in the hospital because of that?"
 
"Yes, she couldn't escape this misfortune."
 
"I heard that he spent quite a lot of money to treat her brother behind her back. She didn't want to drag him down further, so she decided to end things. She knew that the guy would refuse to break up unless we acted out the scene for him."
 
"Is it curable? Where's her brother?" Jessica asked.
 
"He passed away two years ago..." Jessica couldn't believe what she had just heard.
 
"So it's terminal?"
 
Lee Sang shook his head. "It's not terminal. There's still a probability for success, just that his brother was weak since birth, so he couldn't recover even after the surgery."
 
"Then Miss Gayeon doesn't want do the surgery?"
 
Lee Sang shook his head again, "It's not that she doesn't want to do it, it's that she can't afford to do it. She spent most of her money trying to cure her brother and her mother."
 
Jessica finally understood. Still, it wasn't a good thing now that she understood. She just witnessed a tragic love story where a couple is separated because of unfavourable circumstances.
 
"Thank you for telling me these," she stood up, struggling to walk stably. 
 
"Please don't tell Miss Gayeon that I dropped by," she turned around and said.
 
Although Lee Sang didn't know what her intentions were, he nodded.
 
Jessica opened the door and left.
 
She initially though that knowing what exactly happened would help her resolve the situation, and more importantly, win over his heart completely. However after listening to the whole story, she realised that she looked like the third party.
 
If she told him the full story, what kind of decision will he make? Return to Gayeon? Based on Kris's personality, it was possible for him to do so. 
 
At point in time, it was the first time Jessica had ever regretted a decision she made. Perhaps ignorance was indeed a bliss.