FIVE: STUDENT BY DAY, SINGER BY NIGHT

Under the Cherry Blossom

 

It's him… how could it be him…

How could it be Kris! She almost fell flat to the ground. He ignored the fact that there was chaos around him, he bent down, took out his portable mic and continued singing his sad song without strumming his guitar. He didn't have his signature black spectacles on and his hair was styled, it was totally different from how he looked at school.

That was Kris Wu Yifan!

She felt her rage spilling out. Did he not see someone stopping him? He was so comfortable that he didn't want to open his eyes.

"Leave this place and never come back again!"

One guard finally caught his arm after squeezing into the crowd.

Astonishingly, the first to resist wasn't Kris, it was the fans that were all around him.

"WAE?"
"Did he offend you by standing here?"
"Don't abuse your authority,  I can file a complaint."
  

Screams by the angry fans were coming from all four corners. In front of all these objections, the guard couldn't survive under their accusations no matter how much they wanted to uphold their duties.

Jessica never thought that she would witness such a big commotion over a boy. She had seen it in dramas before but at least the party was a celebrity. On the other hand, Kris wasn't even a star, he was just a typical student. If he showed people his ID now, the hospital would probably be full of people whose jaws had dropped.

She looked at Kris again. That commotion causer could still stand at his original position with a slight smile.

Jessica couldn't tolerate it anymore. She dashed to him and grabbed that troublemaker, and carried the guitar case in another hand, and ran full speed away from the commotion scene.

"You are?"  Kris had a weird expression and asked the girl who was running crazily. 

Jessica tried to calm her heart down he to running too fast. It wasn't easy for her to breathe normally and turn to him and faked a smile to say "What a coincidence, we meet again."

"You…" Kris became uncomfortable.

"Good, you still remember me. Then you should remember what I said in the office just now. Why didn't you appear?" Jessica raised his eyebrows at him, waiting to see what explanation he could give as to why he stood her up to sing in the subway station. From the guards' tone, It was apparent that it wasn't his first time there; does he really have a passion for performing?

Kris shrugged his shoulders and wore his spectacles.

"I only want to earn a living fee." he said as he placed the guitar back into the case, Jessica could see that the whole case was filled with money.

There were 10000 won, 8000 won, and the lowest was 800 won. Jessica was speechless. Did he only performed for the sake of earning money?

"Wae? Your family don't give you money?" no parents would be willing to see their child performing on streets just to earn money.

"Family?" he laughed coldly without words.

Jessica sensed that she had asked something that shouldn't be asked. Maybe his situation was like her. She just momentarily felt that she was closer to him, and his actions also showed that he was getting a bit more comfortable around her. 

"You often perform there?" She changed the topic to prevent further awkwardness.

"Not really, maybe twice a month." Kris casually walked to the nearby bench with the guitar case between his legs.

Twice a month? Jessica silently calculated. She predicted that that case had around 100000 won. If everytime was like that, his business wasn't that bad.

Looking at the Kris who had returned to the person with zero existence, Jessica didn't know what to say, "Why do you want to wear spectacles?" He had pretty eyes, chestnut coloured eyes. But it was blocked by the black spectacles, it made people felt like there was a treasure hidden behind the spectacles.

"Myopia." He said with no elaboration and didn't explain that he would still be able to see even if he didn't wear spectacles."

"Then why did you take it off while performing?" She couldn't help but to sneak a smile when she thought about that scene. It seemed like she wouldn't be able to forget that scene.

Kris tilt his head to looked at the headlights that just , and added wax to his hair as it had worn off, once again showing his forehead.

"Professionalism. it's for those that gives me money." he said it like it was partially true and false. 

Jessica' clear eyes glanced at him, she felt that his body had an aura like hers - purposely keeping a distance from others yet not showing that side to others. Maybe there were the same type of person.

Although she felt like speaking more to him to lessen her curiosity, but looking at the colour of the sky, Jessica decided to postpone the conversation.

"It looks like you have time tomorrow. Drop by the council room after school to finish your homework." She said and urgently left. She didn't know why she had an urgency to escape from him, she just had a feeling that she would lose something precious if she continued spending time with him, and she didn't want to lose it now.

Kris didn't say a word and continued resting on the bench. He also didn't move his gaze to the person leaving,  but his blank eyes seemed to announce that his mind was wandering around.