TWENTY SIX: SMILE :)

Under the Cherry Blossom

She didn't want his memories to hurt and trap him. Jessica could only bury all the burning questions in her heart. What would others do if they were in the same situation? She didn't know and she never thought about it. Maybe it was because she wanted to avoid these situations that made her reject confessions.

Her heart ached when he became like that. When he hugged her really tightly, she didn't feel they they became closer, but rather the opposite. Maybe one day, Kris would be able to organise his thoughts and tell her about his past. But before that happens, she would rather keep things and feel sadness rather than seeing Kris with that expression. Omo… she couldn't believe she fell that hard for him ever since they got together.
Jessica only realised that she teared when she felt that her face was icy cold. The tear flowed down from the corner of her eyes without warning; she clenched her teeth to prevent making any unusual noise  because she didn't want Kris to see her cry.

For the previous years, she had never cried over whatever problems she faced. She believed that she could conquer whatever obstacles that came into her way, but Jessica cried for Kris. It wasn't because he hid things from her, it was because of that painful and sad expression of his.

She opened her eyes and the sky was totally dark. Jessica didn't move and didn't wipe away the tears, she let the wind settled it.

For god knows how long after, the knocking of the door broke the silence and pulled Jessica back to reality. She checked for signs of tears on her face before walking back.

His mother was the one who knocked on the door and she brought tea and snacks for them.

"Sica, stay here for dinner tonight? It's getting late."

"Ah it's alright, I told my omma that I'll be back home for dinner. I'll come next time!" She politely rejected because she simply couldn't leave her omma alone at home.

"Then it's a promise!" She held her hand.

Jessica replied with a smile and nodded.

At that moment, the person who had buried his head into the notes started stretching, "I'm finally done. Phew I almost died."

"There's more to copy because the exams are approaching." Jessica walked over and packed her back, "Come to school tomorrow, or you won't be able to catch up."

"Sica don't worry. I've already lectured her sister. I'll make sure he goes to school tomorrow." His mother answered and guaranteed.

Jessica smiled, "That's great. I'll go home now!" She really had no reason to stay on. Also, she was afraid that Kris would have that depressing expression again. If that happens, she might really cry out in front of him. She needed a night to mend her heart, she didn't want him to see her hidden pain.

Kris noticed that the time was getting late and stood up to open the door, "I'll send you."

After bidding farewell, they walked out.

Jessica and Kris walked side by side while on the way to her bus stop. There was also a Siberian Husky circling around them.

"What's his name?" Her gaze followed the wolf-looking dog, she was mesmerised by its actions. 

On the way out, she noticed that there were torn books in the doghouse, there was also something that looked like a pair of spectacles.

"So he's the mastermind…" Jessica thought.

Kris ruffled his fur and smiled, "Bighead. I named it, interesting right?" There was satisfaction in his tone.

"What?" she almost fell, "You named him what?" Was he for real…?

"Bighead. Isn't it nice?" Kris started to run while the dog chased him, he shouted, "He likes it."

Jessica didn't reply, she only shook her head and pitied the dog.

However, when she saw him smiling happily, it was as if his pain and sadness were hallucinations, but she knew that he was only compressing the sadness. It would require both their hardwork in order to remove the sadness totally. She would do her best to help in irregardless of how hard it is, she was only afraid that Kris wouldn't open up to her.

She had never regretted being his girlfriend. He was an approachable guy and would never stop giving her surprises. What exactly could she do to make him truly happy?

She looked up at the sky and saw the twinkling stars. It made her feel a bit depressed because it was as if they were teasing her.

"In a daze?" Kris and Bighead walked back to her. He can't help but to squeeze her face while looking at her staring into the sky.

"Why do stars twinkle?" She softly asked.

Kris weirdly stared at her, "Isn't it because of the moving layers of atmosphere? Didn't you learn that in science?"

"…" Jessica was speechless, "Can't you be more romantic?" Irregardless of novels, movies or television, there would always be a romantic conversation going on when a couple is gazing at the stars right? Aigoo… one should not really hope that much.

"What?" Kris couldn't catch her words.

"Nothing! We've reached, go home." Jessica sighed and ignored the slow reactive guy.

After the mid years, students could finally enjoy the one week holiday! Jessica intended to snooze in bed but was dragged out by someone.

"Which person in the right mind will have a straight face while on a date? Come, have a bite!" Kris laughed and placed a spoon of ice cream in front of .

Jessica pushed his hands off in disgust, "I'm not a kid anymore," furthermore, she wasn't interested in indirectly kissing him.

"Who says that only kids can eat ice cream?" Kris purposely took a big mouth of the ice cream, not forgetting to show an exaggerated expression.

Jessica didn't bother to rebut him because his actions were exactly like a kid's actions.

She studied late the precious night and wanted to snuggle in bed, who would have known that this dude would bang on her door so early on the morning. Did he not know that it was a crime to disrupt somebody's sweet dream? She couldn't even blame him if he's having that innocent smiling expression on his face. It looks like she would never be able to escape the art of seduction…

" What should we do today? We have one whole day." Kris asked. "Theme park, movie, park, where do you want to go?" He still had to spend the remaining of his prize money.

"Up to you, just treat it like I'm doing you a favor by accompanying you." She was bored and fixed her gaze on her surroundings. She liked to observe the expression of passer-bys to figure out their thoughts. To her, it was way better than spending time on those useless activities.

"Good deed?" Kris's eyes opened widely, "Miss, do you know there's a long queue of people waiting for me to date them? Hurry up and thank Kris the Great for being so kind to you." He squeeze her cheeks. He really loved to touch those cute cheeks of hers.

Jessica naturally dodged his hands, "If Kris the Great is willing to let me off today to rest, I'll really thank you." 

Kris squeezed empty air, but was still patient and grabbed her hand to prevent her from going too far. "I'm sorry but you're mine today." 

Jessica allowed herself to follow him, she would sometimes smile when he wasn't looking. She was happy as long as she could see that smile of his when she was with him. She would never want to see that sad expression appear on that smiley face.