THIRTY FOUR: A DATE

Under the Cherry Blossom
Kim Yong Ha Central Library. 5 stories, elegant and unique infrastructure. It was undeniably the biggest, nicest and low-cost library in the city of Seoul. According to it's biography, it was built by a philanthropist in order to increase access to books. There was a large range of books available ranging from limited editions to handwritten versions to rare pictorials. However, in order to read such treasured books, one must be a gold member, which was tough to apply for due to it's high criterias.
 
When Jessica alighted, Kris Wu was already leaning against the marble statue. When she approached him, she apologised for being late although she was punctual as Kris had an annoyed look.
 
Of course Kris was annoyed. Kris stood upright and accompanied her into the library, not forgetting to complain. “I genuinely thought that you wanted to go on a date for the first time in forever. I was wrong.” 
 
Jessica secretly smiled. Had Kris actually forgotten that he had once brought her to the subway station during a date?
 
“Didn't I say there’s need to come? You don't have to accompany me if you don't want to.” 
 
“Oh and find Kai?” Kris had a threatening vibe in his tone. 
 
Jessica knew what the conversation was going and gently sighed, “When are you going to stop? I told you we were friends, what's wrong with friends going to the library together?”
 
“Of course something is wrong!” Kris said naturally.
 
It was obviously wrong to be with someone who likes you. It was better to prevent unnecessary problems from arising. He definitely believed Jessica, but he didn't believe her friend of five years.
 
Jessica Jung was thoroughly defeated. If she continued this conversation, she would be the first to go crazy.
 
When they were on the third floor, there was a room specifically for History books. 
 
“Why do you like this these kind of books?” Kris whispered softly.
 
“What do you mean by these kind of books?” 
 
Kris casually took a book from one bookshelf. “Ancient texts! Those text where you can replace one paragraph with one word!” Her interests were really out of the world. It was fine if Jessica was 80 years old, but not fine for someone young!
 
“Why not? I like it.” Jessica didn't feel that it was wrong to have an interest in Ancient Literature. Instead, she was amused by Kris’s reaction, “Korean has had a long history, shouldn’t we appreciate the literature it has left behind?”
 
“I didn't say you couldn't read it, just that… Never mind. You and Suho would make great friends.” Kris didn't dare to argue with her.
 
“Suho? The one whom you brought me to see at the mansion?” 
 
Kris nodded, “He likes to analyse Ancient books as well. Basically, he’s obsessed with History.”
 
“I really want to know him.” Jessica starts guessing what kind of personality Suho had.
 
“Of course, I want you to meet him too. But I'm warning you, I'm more handsome.”    
 
Jessica Jung burst out laughing and immediately realised that she was in a library. Aigoo, he was really a gem. Who could say that with such a natural expression?
 
Before Jessica could rebut him, they were interrupted.
“Oh? Isn't this President Jung?” A sharp voice pierced through the silence, disrupting readers from their peaceful environment. 
 
“Who the…” Kris stopped after realising the surroundings he was in.  
 
When they both looked up, they saw a girl in mini skirt with full face make-up. She was undeniably hot and she approached Jessica.
 
“You know her?” Kris secretly peeked at her and couldn't believe that his girlfriend would have such a girl as her friend.
 
Jessica smiled lightly. 
 
“Goo Hara. She competed with me for Presidency two years ago. But the vote difference was too much that she couldn't even enter council.” Her statement clearly explained the tension between them.
 
As soon as Kris understood that Goo Hara was unimportant, he continued to casually pick up Ancient texts that he secretly found distasteful.
 
Of course, the ‘invisible person’ was unhappy. She blocked Jessica’s path and continued, “President Jung is interested in Ancienr Literature too? These books are surely too low level for your knowledge. You have to read such books.” She raised a book in front of her.
 
“Oh how could I forget? Normal people won't have the opportunity to browse such treasured literature. Too bad!”
 
Jessica was agitated and shaken, but she continued to have a calm and unbothered expression. She didn't reply, but it didn't mean that she was unprotected, because the very first person to protect her was her boyfriend”
 
"Ya! You're blocking my view, move.” His tone was so rude that it sounded like a gangster. 
 
Goo Hara’s expression changed. She dubiously looked at Kris. “You are? Someone from our school?” She never knew there was someone so good looking in school. Before Kris replied, she already knew the answer. She remembered the rumors circulating a student being very handsome. “Kris Wu?” Her natural pitch became two octaves higher due to being shocked.
 
“I said, move.” Kris had a very annoyed expression. In addition, her sharp piercing voice made him even more annoyed.
 
Goo Hara was taken aback by his rude attitude, and replied with a cold ‘tsk’. “I have no more time to waste with both of you. You see this?” She took out a gold card from a pocket.
 
Goo Hara smiled with no attempt to hide it. “Do y'all even know what this is? Kim Yong Ha Library’s gold card. I have access to all treasured books and have no time for such ordinary books. Oh sorry, I forgot that ordinary people like you guys can never get a gold card.” She flashed a victorious expression.
 
“Gold card?” Kris had never heard of it in his entire life. It wasn't his fault really; if not for his girlfriend, he would never have step into this place.
 
Jessica continued to look down and mumbled to him, “There's treasured books and texts in this library. In order to protect such books from being damaged or taken away, it's restricted to others except for Gold card holders.
 
“Can't you just make one?” 
 
Jessica raised her head and smiled at him, “It isn't so easy.”
 
“If this chicken can get it, why can't you?”
 
His words made Goo Hara furious.
 
“CHICKEN?!” She screeched.
 
It was a pity that she was ignored by everyone.
 
Jessica was never bothered by her arrogance at all. She continued to whisper in a friendly tone to Goo Hara, “If I was you, I wouldn't be showing off someone else’s Gold card to others. Don’t you know the consequences?”
 
“Someone else's?”  Kris then glanced at the card before Goo Hara hurriedly kept it into her bag. Indeed, there was a male’s name on the card.
 
“Yeah, if it was discovered that you took someone else’s card, it will be confiscated and the holder can never apply for it ever again.”
 
“You, stop saying rubbish!” Goo Hara couldn't disguise herself anymore and left hurriedly. All she ever wanted was to experience how it feels like to borrow with a Gold card. She definitely couldn't allow her father to find out about her stealing his card.
 
“Confiscate?”  Kris stared at Hara’s backview, smiled sneakily and took out his phone.
 
Jessica looked at him. “What are you doing?” Although she didn't like Hara, she also didn't want to be cruel.
 
Kris placed his finger on his lips to gesture Jessica to be quiet. “Hello? Suho…? Yeah it's me… Do me a favour will you…? Can you get me one of your gold cards…? Yeah the library… Ya, are you looking down on me…? Why can't I read such books…? Okay fine, I'll tell you, it's for my girlfriend… Go straight to the reception…? Thanks, I'll catch up with you sometime.”
 
After hanging up, he grabbed Jessica’s hand, “Let's go.” 
 
Jessica stood still, "To where?"
 
"To make a gold card. You brought your ID right?" He said as he dragged her along to the reception.
 
"Yes I did, but..." Jessica felt giddy. Gold card? Just an ID?
 
"No buts. Suho contacted the library already, we just need to head to the reception counter." As he continued walking, Kris suddenly sighed. "Oh god, I forgot to tell him about that chicken."
 
"Eh?" What exactly was going on? Jessica felt so clueless.
 
" We really got it..."
 
Jessica still refused to believe that she had gotten a gold card so easily. 
 
"What's wrong? We can return it if you don't want it." Kris pretended to snatch the card from her.
 
Jessica immediately kept the gold card, "Of course I want it, just that I've never expected to get a gold card that easily. Thank you!" Jessica knew that she would probably never get a gold card in her entire life without Kris's interventions
 
Although it was rare for Jessica to be envious of people, she couldn't deny that she felt jealous when Goo Hara showed her the gold card. According to a true reader's view, the worth of the book cannot be determined in monetary terms. If it lands onto the hands of those that do not cherish it, the books would probably cry. 
 
----------
 
I owe you guys an apology. Don't worry, I'm not ending this story with this as a last chapter. I'm sorry for only updating this story now! I know, or at least I hope, that there are people out there reading this story and I myself would be quite put off if an author suddenly cuts her frequent update routine lol. But for the past 5 months, I've been studying hard and finally completed my GCE A levels + went on a vacation! And believe it or not, I took a month to complete this chapter because of procrastination :')
 
however, 2015 will be a better year of more updates! happy new year and stay awesome!