THIRTY THREE: PRE-DATE

Under the Cherry Blossom

At the end of October, the wind of the fall came. Just one night  was enough for the withered leaves to cover the school’s ground. This made the Fall season particularly bitter for students that had to clean up the school compound every morning.
  
At noon, Jessica Jung stood under the large ‘Happiness Tree’ and looked up at the branches. The pretty pink leaves that were on the tree were mostly gone, and it made her feel empty.
    
Aigoo…” She sighed. Another year until the tree regains it's pink leaves.

Footsteps approached from behind. Jessica did not need to turn around to know that it was Kris, the person that wandered around aimlessly as soon as he disappeared from her sight. However, his phone rang before he approached her. What followed was the impatient voice of Kris.

“Sis, when I told you I didn't want to do it anymore, I mean it. I have studies to focus on. I don't care what you say, if you're unhappy then go and approach mum. I'm busy now!” He hung up the phone and let out a sigh.

“What's wrong?” Jessica asked.

Kris walked over to her and replied, “ That sister of mine wants me to help compose another song.”

“Isn't that great? It means you have talent. Look at how popular the soundtrack was. Shoukdnt you be happy?” 

“I compose songs out of interest with no intention to earn money or whatsoever. It feels annoying now that I'm forced to compose songs” 

“Isn't it good to earn money though? Do you have an artist’s temper” Jessica envied talented people, if only she was one.

“Probably.”  He shrugged.

The fact that Kris stopped rebutting made it obvious to Jessica that he really wasn't happy. Jessica pondered and knew that only one method would cheer him out. Hence, she smiled and suggested, “Do you want to go on a date tomorrow?”

As predicted, Kris’s eyes glistened and his mood took a 360 degrees turn.

“Date?! Am I hearing things wrong?” Kris exclaimed. Jessica Jung actually asked him out in a date? Is the sun rising from the west?

“Never mind if you don't want to.” Jessica turned away and walked off while secretly smiling.

“We’re going on a date even if the world ends!” Kris hurriedly nodded, afraid that she would go back on her words.
Jessica flashed a victorious smile. As expected, Kris looked better when smiling as compared to being a depressed and cold person.